Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 28, 2009 11:54 PM

Apr 2009
If time loops again, won't they forget that they're in a time loop?

Wonder how they're going to get out of this one..
Jun 29, 2009 12:08 AM

Sep 2008
Half good half bad episode, so average for me. First half annoyed me a lot, it was the same thing we got an entire last ep of but with slight variations and deja vu. I mean yea they needed to show the idea of what is happening but i think they should have put 2 loops in 1 episode rather than 2. The last episode made it so unclear that anything was going to happen and ended up being an entire episode that nothing interesting happened at all. I found out slightly what was going to happened from someone else who had known from the novels. So prety much the first half was boring because it was the same thing AGAIN pretty much and should have been 1 episode instead of dragging it out so much. Cause it didn't add effect at all.

The 2nd half was good though, apart from mostly being incredibly predictable. Only surprising thing was how many times the loop had been. Apart from that it was obvious, but was well presented.

And on a last note, was i the only one who thought the animation quality jumped up like a ton? Cause it seemed to and just makes me wonder why the other 2 didn't look as good.
Jun 29, 2009 1:05 AM

Sep 2008
thearchlich said:
Updated Episode list:

Melancholy I (S1)
Melancholy II (S1)
Melancholy III (S1)
Melancholy IV (S1)
Melancholy V (S1)
Melancholy VI (S1)
Boredom (S1)
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (S2)
Mysterique Sign (S1)
Lone Island Syndrome I (S1)
Lone Island Syndrome II (S1)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)
Endless Eight (S2)

babbsagg said:
The directing of this Episode was pretty excellent and a good contrast to the last one.
I only wish Bill Murray had a role in it.

The only 2 good posts in this entire thread.
Jun 29, 2009 1:06 AM
Mar 2008
velcom said:

And on a last note, was i the only one who thought the animation quality jumped up like a ton? Cause it seemed to and just makes me wonder why the other 2 didn't look as good.

Well, K-ON! did stop airing this past week, so they probably had more time to animate Haruhi.
Jun 29, 2009 1:07 AM

Apr 2007
Glad I never read the novels, as I am absolutely loving this arc. The episode was brilliant, although I do think they could have at least hinted at the endless summer at the very end of ep 2, then finished the arc in this episode- as episode 2 by itself is still pretty crap.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2009 1:11 AM

Feb 2008
velcom said:
Only surprising thing was how many times the loop had been.
I was actually expecting it to be over 100.000 times.

They could have fitted it into 1 episode, but then the effect wouldn't have been the same. I'm sure many of you went WTF when you first saw the beginning of the episode. That was probably just what the creator was aiming for. That said, it made the most part of that episode redundant even though there was hardly any reuse of material.
Jun 29, 2009 1:23 AM

Sep 2008
dopes said:
velcom said:

Well, K-ON! did stop airing this past week, so they probably had more time to animate Haruhi.

uh.... you do realize it would take them awhile to actually animate an entire episode right? as well as this episode aired about the some time as k-on's final..... It has nothing to do with that at all.

AeonsLegend said:
velcom said:
Only surprising thing was how many times the loop had been.
I was actually expecting it to be over 100.000 times.

They could have fitted it into 1 episode, but then the effect wouldn't have been the same. I'm sure many of you went WTF when you first saw the beginning of the episode. That was probably just what the creator was aiming for. That said, it made the most part of that episode redundant even though there was hardly any reuse of material.

i think it would have better effect (or at least to me) if it was done in 1 ep, just felt dragged out and dull to me.
Jun 29, 2009 1:26 AM

Aug 2008
dopes said:
velcom said:

I can see why you are freakin' called 'Dopes'....

Jun 29, 2009 1:51 AM

Nov 2007
awesome episode!
Jun 29, 2009 2:38 AM
Dec 2007
babbsagg said:
The directing of this Episode was pretty excellent and a good contrast to the last one.

Exactly, this second episode was simply amazing, but that was more or less expected after the first one. Fantastic direction, writing and atmosphere overall, and the fact that they didn't finish the arc at the end was really well-thought, I was SURE it would be a two-episodes arc.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 29, 2009 2:55 AM

Feb 2008
velcom said:
i think it would have better effect (or at least to me) if it was done in 1 ep, just felt dragged out and dull to me.
If they had done that, it would have been even cheesier.

Although, it mighyt have been better in one episode if there was no reuse of scenes at all. In fact, this episode would have done fine without the previous. So in effect the second episode was redundant, not this one.
AeonsLegendJun 29, 2009 3:06 AM
Jun 29, 2009 3:01 AM

May 2008
I like the way how they've sort of 'rerun' the episode again to show the deja vu effect that Kyon has experienced in his point of view (hence the reason why the conversation between Kyon and Koizumi on the rooftop is only done in this episode, not the one before), but I am surprised that this arc is potentially a 3-parter rather than 2, because they really could have finished it in this episode. I wonder how the next episode goes then.
Jun 29, 2009 3:25 AM

Jan 2009
Quite good episode. Re-watching previous episode's happening wasn't very interesting but the episode became better towards the end.
Jun 29, 2009 5:03 AM
Sep 2008
i stoped watching and skimed though ep12 cose i thought i was watching the same thing over..
then i watch all of 13 and wow... that was confusing for a while

liked the mask, swim suit, quicker bug catching
Jun 29, 2009 5:34 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Haha, awesome. Very enjoyable episode with KyoAni the outfit kings. Gonna rewatch the episode later, looking forward to part 3.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 29, 2009 6:22 AM

Feb 2009
Nice episode, though predictable.
Jun 29, 2009 10:47 AM

Sep 2008
It's Over 9000~
Jun 29, 2009 11:24 AM

Apr 2008
way better then last episode... since something happened this time!
Jun 29, 2009 11:59 AM

Jun 2007
I wonder if we were intended to be somewhat bored with episode 2 like Haruhi was. Because it's odd but although this was kinda the same as ep 2, it really was better.

I noticed Kyon was shirtless in the beginning and i usually pay attention to details so i noticed but i'd def notice shirtless kyon :) But until that point like everyone else I was like wtf did i dl this already.

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
Jun 29, 2009 12:11 PM

Dec 2008
Rajden said:
way better then last episode... since something happened this time!

Yea it was better. I also thought i dl episode 2 again and i was like wth till i kept watching anyways and realized it wasnt ep 2. Did enjoy it.
Jun 29, 2009 12:21 PM

Aug 2008
Already knew what would happen.... Liked the execution,,, Liked the work on the details.... I loved how the director/animators/ well the staff that works on the anime worked on the differences to make both episodes different... In fact I loved the swimsuit changes.... Haruhi's is uglier but Yuki definitely looks better in a one piece white suit :P.. Yeah I agree... She should have picked the same mask she chose the first time... or was that one the first time they did that? The fireworks part (Kyon's crazy bike ride :P) was also omitted... But Yuki got us this time for sure... Loved how she tried to brush off Kyon but in the end she confessed that they've done the same summer for 14598 with some variations... I'd be bored too!!! Lol That last part with haruhi leaving was haunting... Loved it... plus she looked so sexy o those clothes and the halo-ish light that engulfed her... Wait Haruhi... I wanna tell you that I love you!!! Gosh Dunno what to think but maybe... MAYBE... Kyon will end up with Haruhi... well hopefully... Theories are nice.... But Kyon been god? NAh he's to sarcastic to be God XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2009 12:26 PM

Aug 2008
I'm a little baffled at the people who thought this was episode 2 in the beginning, but I guess majority of people don't have an eye to distinguish differences in direction. I think almost every scene was totally new and had a completely different tone and perspective than the last episode.

Episode 2 had a very straightforward "typical slice of life" attitude with a crisp pace. This episode was a much more restless, "let's get this out of the way" approach with a spitfire pace until the "twist" appeared. Not to mention the bursts of disdain every time Yuuki was oncscreen to juxtapose a lot of the levity in Haruhi's excitement.

This episode was rife with outstanding direction. Not to say that the rest of the show doesn't (I think this is what sets the series apart from most others), but to do virtually the same thing in a shorter amount of time and still introduce the plot for the arc speaks too much of the focus of this show (as opposed to K-On).
Jun 29, 2009 12:46 PM

Mar 2008
Great episode ! I thought a "Déjà vu" would be annoying, but i was really amazed at the number of times they repeated the same period of time 0_o
Jun 29, 2009 2:22 PM
Jun 2008
What they really wanted to do was to have more swimsuit episodes than K-ON!.

True story.
Jun 29, 2009 4:21 PM

Dec 2007
This season of Haruhi is turning out to be pretty... crap.

There goes everything I liked about season 1 >_>
Jun 29, 2009 4:48 PM

Aug 2008
What was it that you liked about Haruhi. It seems to me Haruhi has always been a school/slice of life parody with a supernatural twist. That all seems to be intact here.
Jun 29, 2009 5:56 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
I'm a little baffled at the people who thought this was episode 2 in the beginning,

Agreed, you could easily tell it was a different episode, especially since Kyon had no shirt on.

And dare I say he looks rather striking with his shirt off?

Jun 29, 2009 6:02 PM

Apr 2009
Thank god for this episode. I was extremely disappointed with ep 2, because it was just like any typical slice of life anime. It's due to the supernatural twist thrown in with the slice of life stuff, what Ive dubbed the "Haruhi Twist", that made the first season so great. Good thing this ep put the twist back in with a little bit of Groundhog Day influence to make it a legitimate addition to the Haruhi story.

Jun 29, 2009 6:36 PM

Aug 2008
Hato-kun said:
Agreed, you could easily tell it was a different episode, especially since Kyon had no shirt on.

And dare I say he looks rather striking with his shirt off?

Yes. Yes he does.
Jun 29, 2009 7:43 PM

Jun 2007
It's sad to hear ppl disapointed with this show. It might not be as Epic as the first season but that's because it's so hard to follow up a great show. Take just about every movie that has a sequel. There are hardly many films where you can clearly say the 2nd was better than the first. And that is mainly due to expectations after the first.

As long as i have Kyon's cynical nature and Haruhi is happy, all is right with the world in my book.

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
Jun 29, 2009 9:44 PM

Jul 2008
awesome episode.

Does that mean there was almost a 600 yr difference between episode 2 and 3?
Jun 29, 2009 10:00 PM

Nov 2007
ani said:
It's sad to hear ppl disapointed with this show. It might not be as Epic as the first season but that's because it's so hard to follow up a great show. Take just about every movie that has a sequel. There are hardly many films where you can clearly say the 2nd was better than the first. And that is mainly due to expectations after the first.

As long as i have Kyon's cynical nature and Haruhi is happy, all is right with the world in my book.

I dont know about you but with the material they plan to cover....this season will end up being even better than season 1
Jun 29, 2009 10:28 PM

Jan 2009
game8910 said:
ani said:

I dont know about you but with the material they plan to cover....this season will end up being even better than season 1
If my predictions are OK; I would say that The Disappearance will be more epic than the Kiss on that closed space of The Melancholy VI.

Oh fuck yes, i can see it.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jun 29, 2009 11:13 PM

Jun 2008
Hey, i was never a big fan of the haruhi series.

I agree it is a good series, well above the rest, just not amoungst my personal top.

Having said that I'm loving the new series quite a bit (and actually following it, thanks to my fanatic friend<3).
Jun 30, 2009 2:56 AM

Jan 2009
Tamaki-san said:
If my predictions are OK; I would say that The Disappearance will be more epic than the Kiss on that closed space of The Melancholy VI.

Oh fuck yes, i can see it.

I second that. The Disappearance of of Haruhi Suzumiya is the reason why I'm still hanging on to this season. I LOVED the novel so much, I can't wait till they air it.
Jun 30, 2009 10:07 AM

Oct 2008
Same here, The Disappearance of of Haruhi Suzumiya is my favorite novel so far (have only read up to novel 5), can't wait for those episodes :D
Jun 30, 2009 11:08 AM

May 2008
this season just keeps getting better...
Jun 30, 2009 11:16 AM

Jan 2009
Modrzew said:
Tamaki-san said:
Err, after watching it for the second time, 12:37 - 12:44 [Mazui subs]... pretty random. Was it that Kyon blushed out of nowhere for Haruhi?

Quoting the novel:
I couldn't show my anger because I was just so suffused with rage from Haruhi's expressions at that moment.

That was not it. He was angry before that moment, you could ever see how his facial expression changed later, he had his wide eyes open, then 2 seconds later he just left out a *Sigh* followed by a *Whatever*.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jun 30, 2009 1:51 PM

Jun 2008
Freakin' cliffhanger at the end.
=_=

Loved this episode.
Yuki, I pity and respect you.
Jun 30, 2009 1:57 PM

Apr 2008
This show is beyond shit. IT IS AN UTTER FAIL.
Jun 30, 2009 3:36 PM

Aug 2008
CodeZero said:

Why do you think it is 'beyond shit' and an 'UTTER FAIL'? Please, express your feelings.

Jun 30, 2009 3:45 PM

May 2007
Great episode, I enjoyed it alot. Nice going there on the roof, Koizumi. XD

Jun 30, 2009 5:43 PM

May 2009
I like how Koizumi "jokes" around when he said he'll say that he loves Haruhi, I think he really does love Haruhi but he hides it because he knows that Haruhi probably likes Kyon :D
Jun 30, 2009 6:18 PM

Nov 2007
Hato-kun said:
CodeZero said:

Why do you think it is 'beyond shit' and an 'UTTER FAIL'? Please, express your feelings.

guy guy dont mind him, hes just a shounenfag
Jun 30, 2009 6:19 PM

Feb 2008
stAtic91 said:
Koizumi Itsuki <3
Jun 30, 2009 11:08 PM

Jan 2009
Tenori said:
this season just keeps getting better...

Hopefully it stays like that. I see the rating going down for this season (it was up at 8.69 and now it's dropping drastically). It'll stay good if they don't change anything from the novels.
Jun 30, 2009 11:43 PM

Jul 2008
XxsamurixX said:
I like how Koizumi "jokes" around when he said he'll say that he loves Haruhi, I think he really does love Haruhi but he hides it because he knows that Haruhi probably likes Kyon :D

he's gay and loves kyon, not haruhi
jk
u could be right as well..
Jul 1, 2009 12:48 AM

Oct 2008
Really liked this one, just keeps getting better straight through. Episode really messed with me at the start, and it turned out really interesting.
Jul 1, 2009 1:08 AM

Feb 2008
Alipio said:
XxsamurixX said:

he's gay and loves kyon, not haruhi
jk
u could be right as well..
Looks to me like he knows Haruhi likes Kyon and he knows Kyon actually likes Haruhi and is trying to push Kyon into realising this. Koizumi is definitely interested in Haruhi, but I doubt it's romantic in nature.
Jul 1, 2009 3:02 AM

Apr 2009
More of Itsuki invading Kyon's personal space. ♥
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

535 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:07 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.