Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2014 5:03 AM

May 2012
At the half of the last episodes when Riki gasps and then the bus explodes, did they die or do they survive?
Feb 15, 2014 5:59 AM

May 2013
pufss said:
At the half of the last episodes when Riki gasps and then the bus explodes, did they die or do they survive?

Up to you. You can interpret the second half of the episode as meaning that everyone survived and they all lived happily ever after, or that they all died and that last part is a dream world where everything is prefect.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 15, 2014 10:42 AM

Sep 2012
The VN I think had Riki and Rin getting down and leaping before the explosion hit. The anime adds that sort of artistic shock, and does wind up leading to a double conclusion - a dream world suspended in time at the moment of the bus crash, or the real world.

The thing is that we can clearly see the explosion happen, and if anyone actually died there, they'd be unable to make a dream world, most likely.
I say this because Maeda has some silly logic when it comes to how maintaining one's "ripple of consciousness" beyond death is possible. I think the dialogue is pretty clear that it's the real world, and it took content from the VN where it was considered the real world, confirmed by Kyousuke himself in a Key-released dram CD.
Mar 26, 2014 6:39 PM

Oct 2013
MrAM said:
pufss said:

Up to you. You can interpret the second half of the episode as meaning that everyone survived and they all lived happily ever after, or that they all died and that last part is a dream world where everything is prefect.

Thinking about it now it makes some sense, but IMO that's not what they meant. They had so much trouble to take everybody out of the bus and then everybody just dies? It would be to ironic to be true. Also, they took some time to got better and they came back to school in different times. If they were dead, their bodies wouldn't matter and they would all come back together.
Mar 26, 2014 9:57 PM

Sep 2012
The VN, epilogue, and Bokura no Asa (drama CD sequel) implied that the ending took place in the real world, so I'm assuming the anime did it as well. I'll just point out that Maeda employed a similar motif and lesson/realization that led to the conclusion of Little Busters in a past Key work, so I don't think the definitively good ending is false.

Maeda often reverses suffering and draws a thinly fine line between a character deserving to suffer or deserving their perfect ending... but he doesn't end off with the characters not facing reality, living their lives in some dream fantasy.
Mar 28, 2017 10:01 PM
Jan 2010
From someone who read the VN, for me it was pretty clear that the true ending is with everyone alive and happy. There was the explosion but almost all the others were already far from the bus.

Also, in the VN, after the 'explosion', Riki says he smells his hair burning, so I think they managed to survive it.

I think the explosion in the anime is way bigger than it should be compared to the one that happens in the VN, the thought of it being a dream world in the end didn't even crossed my mind, it's the anime that makes you think this. I could be wrong tho...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

538 by PepegasLand »»
7 hours ago

» Is it likely Little Busters Refrain will reach top 5 in MAL? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Oct 3, 2013

308 by polarbeararmy »»
Apr 16, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

351 by FUNNYDOGE »»
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2013

391 by Remurst »»
Apr 9, 2:48 AM

» How good?

kam1n0 - Dec 12, 2021

21 by Donkunsan »»
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.