Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 23, 2009 5:33 AM

Jul 2007
orangehouse said:
This series sure is moving fast o_o ...

No they are not.

Barely ~20(out of 100/110) chapters into the manga.
Jun 23, 2009 6:29 AM

May 2007
It was good, although they left out some parts, they kept all the important ones.
Yay for no stupid Wrath nonsense. And LOL @ the eyecatches. XD

Jun 23, 2009 4:07 PM

May 2009
Nicely paced episode with a lot of content. Also, there were some great scenes eg- the scene where an apple rolls down to their mother. I don't like the blood spurting scenes but they are inevitable unfortunately. Next up is greed who didn't look that great in the preview.

Jun 23, 2009 11:57 PM

Mar 2009
Hell yea, i'm starting to like this series more and more after each episode.

It's not that much different from original series but somehow i'm enjoying this a lot more

Jun 24, 2009 12:34 PM

Mar 2009
Wow, I don't know if I've ever cried that hard from anime!!! Izumi and Sig are so much better, the "truth" scenes were magical, T__T!! I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks FMA 1 is better than this is insane. They've taken FMA to another level, when no one thought that possible. Don't get me wrong, I love FMA 1, it is and always will be one of my favs. But, the emotion, humor, action, intensity, etc. is making this turn out to be one of the best series I've ever seen, and I would have never thought a remake would be so good. And, now we get to see the glorious manga-exclusive story animated, beginnig with the entrance of Greed, Woot!! Urahara Out!!
Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 24, 2009 7:57 PM

Apr 2008
I loved this ep : ) I actually cried when Izumi told them that they don't have to force themselves T__T !!
I barely remembered this from the 1st season..
The episodes go by really fast though. I dont really mind the pacing overall, as long as they don't skip over anything.
Jun 24, 2009 8:05 PM

Jan 2008
I just love this show. It has everything you need to feel in watching...and I love this ep. I was laughing since from the start and when I reached near the end, I was in teary mood. Ed and Al were so adorable when they were young. cute. ^^
Jun 24, 2009 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
Aeterna said:

Actually, I rather agree with noteDhero. I was sorta sitting in my seat, scratching my head, and wondering, "I thought we finished with the island already..?" And they didn't really do/say anything that hadn't been covered before in the episode, so to me, this was the episode's only major weakness.

I liked the ending, even though it didn't flow with the previous scene. First, I don't think the episode should in a sad moment, that is not what the episode is about. Second I like the chopping up of the flashback to help structure the episode, it's a good technique (like the pizza episode in Scrubs). And lastly, I think that the point of the flashback at the end was to show what both Izumi and the Elric brothers have forgotten, and why they should have never tried to mess with the cycle. It was made poorly, but at east it was made.

And if the animators have the balls to remove stuff from the manga and the skills to do it well like they did here, then I have complete faith that they won't screw up the animation from now on. Sure I can disagree with them on the choices they made, but overall I feel that they have both the ability and the motivation to do the series justice.
Jun 25, 2009 1:31 PM

May 2009
I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind Izumi's voice. This was a really good episode.
Jun 25, 2009 11:01 PM

Jan 2009
Kinda dissapointed in this ep. Missed the mysterious fighter on the island and Izumi seemed too understanding of Ed and Al's condition. I was expecting her to beat the crap out of them once she found out that they had broken taboo.

But it's all justified in the name of pacing. We're starting to tread into new territory and I'm grateful for that.

Jun 26, 2009 1:46 AM

Jul 2007
ColdBeans said:
Izumi seemed too understanding of Ed and Al's condition. I was expecting her to beat the crap out of them once she found out that they had broken taboo.

Why should she beat them for the mistake she herself commited?
And of course she understood - she did the same, for similar reasons, ended up in similar situation.
Jun 26, 2009 2:01 AM
Jun 2009
Fai said:

Why should she beat them for the mistake she herself commited?
And of course she understood - she did the same, for similar reasons, ended up in similar situation.

She did in the manga, though I didn't like that scene

EDIT:Checked the manga again: I was wrong! I'm sorry Fai
XantospocJun 26, 2009 2:05 AM
Jun 26, 2009 4:21 AM

Sep 2006
The part about Hoemheim was done perfectly. I love it. They seem to always to be able to deliver when it comes to that man, lol.

As for their training history on the island, and their interactions with their sensei, it seems very rushed and incoherent. They just keep jumping from scene to scene and stating facts and reactions bluntly. It feels painful.
Jun 26, 2009 5:52 AM
Sep 2008
The "explanation" of the "One is All" theme was far better here than I had expected and better than FMA1; although FMA1 did the "realization" to this fact better. A trade-off, I suppose.

However, the same that goes for Death Note, even weak points in this IP (regardless if you're referring to FMA1/2/manga) are far superior to most other shows at their strongest.
Jun 29, 2009 2:06 PM

Aug 2008
I loved seeing Izumi in this episode. The moments when she just "bleghed" and spat out blood were hilarious. Really enjoying this so far.

The island parts, I felt, were much better created then that of the first season.
Jul 1, 2009 2:58 PM

Mar 2008
Horrible. I much preferred the FMA1 adaptation of that story. Of course, still great Izumi scenes, but did not give off the same affect as FMA1 did. I'm growing tired of the random humor at serious moments.
Jul 2, 2009 4:29 PM
Jun 2008
Wow, this anime is rushed...
Jul 4, 2009 5:24 PM

Dec 2008
Good episode, they did a really great job this time around.
Jul 16, 2009 5:32 AM

Feb 2008
Finally, on its normal pacing again. Back again to its good emotional coaster. That super emotional coaster last 3 episodes were just superb. XD

Good job introducing the Master and everything in it. Really love the blood cough. xd
Jul 19, 2009 6:39 PM

Sep 2008
I'm pretty content with this episode. A lot of it was just condensed into this one ep., but there were epic Izumi scenes and there was some emotional impact this time too so yeah. It was nice. I approve. :) Looking forward to the next episode, though, of course! Mooooving on~
Jul 26, 2009 6:59 PM

Jul 2008
well they got back to they're masters place, and then... flashback! but no mention of the mask man like in the first one
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Sep 15, 2009 6:32 PM

Aug 2007
The drama in this version is just... the right amount to make you want to cry at some moments. Or at least it makes me, who never cries at anything, want to tear up. This is such an improvement from the first series, whose melodrama was too much to stomach.
Apr 30, 2010 10:48 AM

Jan 2010
I feel cheated, where the hell was that crazy masked man that worked at the meat shop? That was the best part of this island training in the manga.
May 2, 2010 8:31 AM

Nov 2008
I had wanted for a continuation of Huge's story but I liked this too.

Can't wait for next week!
May 19, 2010 5:05 AM

Sep 2009
Very nice. Izumi was pretty funny.
May 26, 2010 4:21 PM

May 2010
Izumi is a tomboy in my eyes. She's a very interesting character lol.
Jul 5, 2010 9:15 AM

Aug 2009
Wow I actually learned something about life from this episode. I guess it was really nice to see what happened to the Elric brothers in the past. That training on that island really got into me. I was suprised how Edward realized all those stuffs about the universe and some stuffs, lol.

Anyways, I wasn't expecting their master to be a girl. Also wasn't expecting her to see the Truth too although I am confused since she said the truth took her organs away. How the fuck is she still living then? Must be the appendix or something, lol.

I wonder what's going to happen next. I wanna see some training again.
Jul 5, 2010 12:36 PM
Sep 2009
Truth didn't take all her organs - it just took what she needed to have a child. Unfortunately, it didn't exactly reorganize everything else inside her to compensate for this, which is why she has coughing-up-blood fits and such.
Oct 10, 2010 2:01 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode, Izumi's blood spurts were hilarious. I loved the pacing and the depth reached in a single episode. Great.
Oct 12, 2010 3:35 PM

Apr 2009
Probably my least favourite part of the 1st season, and they handled well and quickly here.
Dec 11, 2010 11:59 PM

Nov 2009
o__o Which organs is Izumi missing exactly...?
Dec 26, 2010 3:42 AM

May 2009
very good episode
Mar 21, 2011 12:27 PM

Jun 2009
Great story telling.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 30, 2011 7:59 AM

May 2010
I really liked this episode, really touching.
May 2, 2011 10:09 PM

Oct 2010
Izumi coughing blood scenes FTW.
[insert awesome signature here]
Jul 2, 2011 1:46 PM

Dec 2010
Concepts were changed in a good matter here. Only thing that really bugs me is the way Izumi acted about her husband's care.
Aug 3, 2011 1:44 AM
Jul 2010
Loved it! The flashback about Ed and Al's training was great, I loved how Ed realized all that while in the island. Izumi seems a nice character and her interaction with the brothers provided both comedic and emotional scenes. Great episode, once again.
Oct 29, 2011 2:05 AM

Oct 2009
Hmmmmmmmm.?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2012 5:11 PM

Jan 2009
Nice episode.
Loved the drama ending
Jun 20, 2012 2:22 PM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Great story telling.

Still great story telling. I'm almost tempted to lower my scores for other shounen series. This is just so much more efficient and isn't dragging things out. Though I kind of hope the upcoming "new" material is handled a bit more slowly.

Edit: Also, the scene such as Izumi fighting them as children while teaching them about alchemy was really well directed as well as her dream sequence and hugging the Elric's.
Ston3_FreeN7Jun 20, 2012 2:25 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 27, 2012 4:22 AM

Jan 2012
Why didn't that monster that chases them around show up? He was cool in the manga
Sep 5, 2012 3:44 PM

Mar 2012
So far the 2003 version is much much better, this one is too light, too comical, too rushed...I really hope they change that
Especially the comedy, it's in every scene, it ruins it
End Zionazism
Sep 7, 2012 1:44 PM

Apr 2009
The best episode so far imo. The moment when Izumi comforted them contained the weight of everything that has happened to Ed and Al so far, and even better the episode as a whole supported the highlight. There are things I'm nitpicky about like how the flashback could have established better what type of serious thoughts the brothers were thinking when they begged for training and the survival training got really lightweight treatment as it seems it was made a building block of the episode's overall plan above all else, but the episode still worked overall.
Oct 12, 2012 4:22 AM

May 2012
Quite a nice episode though I feel that I missed some parts like when they went to central to first visit the brothers but than known they where going to her town "we did see them for a split second in the train station but other than that we didn't see anything" Also directly having it over their dad quite a bit different than I can remember. The survival episode was also cut in to a half of an episode making it less interesting and that's quite sad bcs it was quite something the survival episode. It feels like we would already be around the 20th's episode in the original so these compacter versions are quite nice but lack a more developed story line and I still wonder how they come to more episodes than the original if they are compacting all these episodes!

Either way great episode! Up to the next one!
Oct 30, 2012 1:12 AM

Jul 2009
Boba_Fett said:
Quite a nice episode though I feel that I missed some parts like when they went to central to first visit the brothers but than known they where going to her town "we did see them for a split second in the train station but other than that we didn't see anything" Also directly having it over their dad quite a bit different than I can remember. The survival episode was also cut in to a half of an episode making it less interesting and that's quite sad bcs it was quite something the survival episode. It feels like we would already be around the 20th's episode in the original so these compacter versions are quite nice but lack a more developed story line and I still wonder how they come to more episodes than the original if they are compacting all these episodes!

Either way great episode! Up to the next one!

funny im always behind you in the comments XD

in here they also removed when Izumi fixed the dam, Elric and Al had to consult with Winry's granny before they went.

plus when she coughed blood due to her saying she's a housewife she actually went in bed first rather than being saved by Sig.

i think they added a much more comedic relief with Izumi being all monstery :P

im just glad they Tsuda, Shouko returns as Izumi and Sasaki, Seiji as Sig.

why the hell didn't they do that with Roy, Winry, and Riza :P

they actually added flash back here about Hohenheim and how Ed hated him for leaving without explanation(much better)

and Izumi actually met him(in season she didn't)

they went ahead to the island and the days past buy.

the classic hunt rabbit and fox etc.

it seems here Ed ate the ants as a form of survival since if he didn't ate them, eventually the ants will eat them and all life.

though i prefer the survival style of the first season, with Izumi's subordinate hunting and trying to kill them

not to mention here it seems Izumi revealed about the "Truth" is much more emotionally than the first season.

we even get to see her baby turn into that "thing"

despite lots of cuts in the backstory, we learned alot.

if they actually combined everything from the first season and here it would probably take 100 eps to FULLY explain every nuts and bolts.

but i don't mind this since we get to move the story forward and it's only episode 12 O___O

in the first season this would probably be around episode 20 or so.

on to the next one :)
Jun 25, 2013 12:45 AM

Nov 2012
Makes me think would I rather be like Ed without limbs or Izumi without organs.
Jul 29, 2013 12:45 PM

Jul 2013
That was a touching episode -like all of them-.We finally met ''the master''.
A student follows his master's path that was mournful.
Aug 8, 2013 7:36 PM

Jun 2012
Great comedy again, nice flashback as we learn more. I only now realized that we don't know the cause of their mother's death.

"All is one. One is all." Toodeepfourme xD but seriously, I think she might have been laughing because she did that as a joke and did not expect an answer from them.

Really good ending, powerful.

5/5.

Oct 11, 2013 4:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Good storytelling. Izumi's story is pretty touching and she's a great character.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 12, 2013 1:40 PM

May 2013
I liked the fma version of this better
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

964 by hanakocheeks »»
Apr 9, 8:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.