Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2009 10:40 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I am so surprised by the original path this anime is taking. It's already the fourth episode and I'm not used to getting what I want from the characters so quickly.
Jun 22, 2009 12:48 PM
Apr 2009
I'm really enjoying this show.
Finally I'm watching a romance where things actually happen. Not like 95% of the other romance anime where things only happen on the last episodes.
Jun 22, 2009 12:49 PM

Aug 2008
neoalexys said:
Finally I'm watching a romance where things actually happen. Not like 95% of the other romance anime where things only happen on the last episodes.

That's exactly what I like about it. It's so rare that this happens!
Oct 19, 2009 3:50 AM

Jun 2009
I agree. A friend asked me once if I had ever seen anime where there weas a real love story and not just expectations that something would happen in the last episode. And I couldn't remember any.

But this one is wonderful!
Jun 12, 2010 8:40 AM

Apr 2009
Hey... Does anyone got what the gesture that brought laughter was?

It was that gesture of rubbing a fist to the back of the other hand, than smelling it... I swear I don't know what's there to laugh about! Unless, of course, its randomness. But I believe there's something more behind.
Jun 14, 2010 3:01 AM

Mar 2010
Omg! I loved the ending of this episode. So cute. The holding hands really meant a lot, not like other anime or manga.

And the whole...

"Wow, Kano! How did you get so smart in life?"

"I get all my wisdom from comics!"

I laughed so hard at that! xD
Jul 5, 2010 6:46 AM

Aug 2008
awwww how cute!!
Jul 24, 2011 8:23 PM

Aug 2010
my GAWD i feel a little awkward saying this but when they hold hands i just blushed :D
Oct 12, 2011 9:27 AM

May 2008
I'm so glad this is not one of those shows that fuck around for an entire season and wait until the end before they become a couple.
Feb 9, 2012 1:59 AM

Sep 2011
Yay only episode 5 and they're already dating! That's awesome! :D
Jun 16, 2012 4:48 PM

Nov 2011
O, so they're dating now.
Apr 21, 2013 1:28 AM

Jan 2013
I LOVE this.
It was frustrating seeing her fail so many times.
But, the hand holding was such nice delivery
Apr 22, 2013 6:20 AM

May 2012
A lot of confession attempts that lead eventually in such a sweet one! Really nice development and rather fast! I wonder what they'll do next now they're together!
Jun 18, 2015 11:15 AM

Jul 2014
im so happy they didn't drag that out for too long. holy crap I'm in love with this anime already
Jun 26, 2015 8:15 PM

Jun 2015
Ok, they are together now. I hope the show do not fall down.
You can see, some similarities to Evangelion Direction are visible.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2015 3:00 PM

Dec 2012
That ending was perfect. Seriously started getting giddy like a happy schoolgirl. I really like how this show explores the characters' inner thoughts and psyche, it's mostly comedic but always adds that pinch of melancholy that makes it down to Earth.
Dec 20, 2015 7:15 PM

Nov 2011
I was getting frustrated right along with the main characters until the end. For once we got a hand-holding scene that actually is pretty meaningful. I couldn't help but smile.

Like Ratoh, I appreciate the exploration of the characters' thoughts. It makes them feel more real.

I was wondering myself how Kano came to know her advice, but then we find out the source is comics. Haha.
Feb 25, 2016 9:49 PM
Oct 2015
That shit, that shit right there.. thats how you make a fuckin romcom. I didn't like eva the first time around so I was nervous going into it but I have been hooked from the comedy since ep 1. That last scene took y already broken expectations and blasted them past the fucking moon. Good shit Anno, well done.
Jul 9, 2016 7:32 PM

May 2013
YAAASSSSSSS. Now the rest of the series can be filled with lovey dovey shit LOL <3333333
Jul 18, 2016 12:38 PM

Aug 2015
How confessions goes in average anime:

"Skides, Arima"

"Yata!"

How it goes in this series:

The realization that hurting him while not hurting yourself is wrong. Even though you don't want to lose your friendship you cant run away and keep hurting him. The ideal moment is when you hurt yourself, sacrifice yourself(your friendship) in-order to ease his pain this is when love can be gained. And that confirmation in this series comes from a subtle connection of hand holding. Brilliant.

P.S: I liked how Miyazawa criticized her little sisters for not understanding how complicated high school life yet her short-haired sister(Kano) was the one who told her how love works. (also the other young sister also reads into situations pretty well).
Aug 20, 2016 12:19 AM

Oct 2012
You don't need too many words when confessing (back) to someone, this anime is the proof xD
What a powerful scene, at least it is for me
"Signature removed"
Sep 24, 2016 3:35 PM
Nov 2014
What a boring ass episode. I was seriously getting tired of her lame iner monologues. I hope it finally gets good now because until now it's just a bore fest.
Accelerator48Sep 24, 2016 3:45 PM
Dec 27, 2016 4:29 AM

Jul 2016
This series is taking a different path, seems like it will develop both protagonists' romantic relation instead of making them confess to each other in the last ep.

I really like this.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 20, 2017 6:45 AM
Aug 2014
That was a great episode.
Feb 25, 2017 6:36 AM

May 2014
I was so happy when she reached for his hand and it was in public too. So she threw her image away right there for him. How cute!
May 5, 2017 9:48 AM

Nov 2012
That ending was perfect. Seriously started getting giddy like a happy schoolgirl. I really like how this show explores the characters' inner thoughts and psyche, it's mostly comedic but always adds that pinch of melancholy that makes it down to Earth.
^This

Loving this show more and more by the episode.
Jun 16, 2017 8:03 PM

Apr 2017
omg i love this show, what a rollercoaster of an episode.
the last scene was crazy. perfectly done.
i love that this show uses abstract versions of the characters so often to create smooth animations rather than boring, but always pretty frames that are barely animated.

shaping up to be a favourite
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Nov 29, 2017 11:23 PM

Jan 2010

I love the place setting and sceneries. The signs and lights shown throughout visually display the speed at which the characters feel their lives are going, as well as the direction of their relationships. I love the use of monologues to give so much personality to the characters, as well as express their immediate reactions and thoughts. The desperation, the self-deprecation, and the jumbled stream-of-consciousness speech work so well. I love the use of silence, particularly at the very last scene. From all the struggling and panicking Miyazawa was going through, her answer to Arima was a simple gesture. The anime only had to show bits of their wordless reactions and viola, we have all their awkwardness, frustrations, embarrassment, anxieties, confusion, hesitation, and passions stuffed into a few seconds of fantastic direction and scene composition. Oh, and it was all absurdly cute.
Mar 3, 2018 12:14 PM

Apr 2015
"What if he doesn't love me anymore?"

Jesus, it's been like three days. Funny how Arima totally stopped her in her tracks by popping the question.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 18, 2018 4:05 PM

Feb 2013
Best episode yet. Those feels!

Very very funny with the confession fails!
Dec 14, 2018 5:36 AM

Jun 2013
Awww that hand-holding scene was so cute. I liked how it was portrayed that there was no need to verbally express their feelings and just a touch was enough for them to realize it was mutual.

Man, this made me miss my nonexistential first love. :P
Apr 22, 2019 4:20 PM

Aug 2016
Yes, this is the high quality of anime I was expecting for the so beloved gainax romcom. Really enjoyable so far.
:v
Jun 19, 2019 3:29 AM

Mar 2010
that final minute made me feel feelings again
Jun 24, 2019 7:34 PM

Jul 2016
Final scene almost moved me to tears. Great episode, although the start was a bit weak. I don't know who is more relatable of the two, Manazawa or Arima? Both have been developed so well. I really like this series so far.
Sep 17, 2019 4:10 PM

Aug 2017
Awwwwww I have never seen a love confession as cute as this one, really brought me to tears! I was really rooting for Yuki all along, and I'm happy that she's finally come to realizing what love really is with the help of her sister :3 I feel like Kano actually did break the 4th wall since a lot of watchers of this anime probably know about love from manga too xD

Although there's a huge progression in Yuki's realization of her feelings, I think that she has still a long way to go. When she was describing what was so good about Arima, it felt like an external observation of him as a person. Good-looking, with a nice personality and soft voice, etc... Yuki still doesn't probably know WHY does she love him, but it'll come in the future...I hope.

P.S. I really admire Anno for focusing entirely on the main characters and their relationships without adding unnecessary side characters. Yuki's sisters are amazing though, they help her so much!
St0rmbladeSep 17, 2019 4:18 PM
Oct 20, 2019 6:13 PM

Nov 2011
Best episode so far.
I am really enjoyed it's background musics this time, I never really appreciated them before.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 11, 2020 7:50 PM

Sep 2014
The cinematography of the episode was amazing. This anime keeps surprising me every episode. I never know what is going to happen next.

Feels nice to watch this in 2020.
Sep 6, 2020 3:44 PM
Jul 2013
TenszNeumann said:
The cinematography of the episode was amazing. This anime keeps surprising me every episode. I never know what is going to happen next.

Feels nice to watch this in 2020.

+1 although once again I'm mad at myself for not watching a gem like this earlier.
How is this even so good?
By now it's already the best romcom I've watched, if this keeps up it gets a 10.
Jan 23, 2021 4:11 PM

Feb 2020
episode 4 and they're already a couple thank god omg

i squealed so much when she grabbed his hand.. im so happy
Apr 8, 2021 3:14 PM

Feb 2020
I... I think my heart melted. That was so pure.
And I truly like how each time a problem is adressed at the beginning of an episode, it is actually solved in the same episode ! As someone who despises forced drama, this is a real gift.
And seriously, despite her flaws, Yukino is such an endearing girl, I'm really loving her. Not to mention she is an inspiring character as well ! I respect her for trying so hard to work on herself.
May 29, 2021 12:19 AM

Jan 2021
It'sssss confession time! Round two! Like I mentioned last episode, I can't believe we're already back in this territory only 4 episodes into a 26-episode series. I hope they don't drag out the love storyline with those maddening "missed connection" misunderstandings that always seem to crop up. Anyway, onto the episode!
* Ok I actually lol-ed when he ripped the J.D. Salinger dust jacket off the "Daddy" (?!?!) book
* Miyazawa kinda takes "fake it til you make it" to another level; if it's actually become easier for her to be someone who she's not than to be her honest self
* "I don't care about stuff like my real self anymore -- right now, my top priority, my most important task…is to confess my feelings to Arima!" Isn't this something of a contradictory statement? Wouldn't a confession of her feelings to Arima be attendance to her true self?
* Oh man he totally knows what's up with her. He's pretending to be dense.
* "Getting all depressed isn't going to help anything. Guess I'll just do what I have to do!" I love seeing this kind of resolve in romcoms, which tend to rely very heavily on the MC being uncertain and unconfident as a way of generating tension.
* lol…and then Miyazawa does exactly what I thought she wouldn't (and didn't want her to do) for the rest of the episode
* It's also pretty funny that he youngest sister is the one who seems to give her the best life advice
* OMG SHE DONE FUCKIN DID THE DEED AFTER ALL
Hey, I actually really liked that. The whole episode was her trying to find the right words and time (and courage) to express herself to him. But in the end the timing and words didn't even matter.
CalmTeaTimeJul 9, 2023 3:48 PM
Aug 19, 2021 6:24 AM

Feb 2019
They're so cute and awesome ^^
Jun 23, 2022 9:46 AM

Feb 2021
You know you're facing problems when you're taking advice from your sisters in middle school lol. Being honest with yourself is really hard to do if it's something that's been out of your comfort zone. I can't help but feel like a lot of the stuff in the beginning was a step back from the progress made last episode thou
Aug 28, 2022 8:27 PM
May 2019
THE LAST SCENE OMG!!! LOVED IT
Oct 30, 2022 12:27 PM
Jul 2021
we never see couples actually get together in romance animes nowadays, the show always ends after they get together but this show has a promising future since we will actually see their relationship blossom. Very good confession episode too since we were anticipating the confession for a while but we didn't exactly know what will happen in the episode. Also the episode ended in a satisfying and sweet way.
Apr 14, 2023 3:37 PM

Jun 2021
Domitilla <3 (italian voice actress of Kano, wonderful lady overall, if i will ever have a third chance to meet her i should tell her how much i enjoyed yet another role of her, this one, not afraid to write this already even if just 4 episodes into)

Relatable struggle, advices from two younger sisters still in junior high that even if it can seem ridicolous actually worked out, and a sweet ending even more powerful considering how it was shown with just animation and soundtrack.
Apr 15, 2023 11:26 PM
Jul 2021
la verdad con solo estos 4 capitulos ya el anime es jodiadmente bueno me da un poco de miedo que pueda psar en el resto de capitulos la verdad solo queda rezar para que todo vaya por el mismo camino
Nov 10, 2023 9:22 AM

Nov 2014
Loving this so far, each episode is so full of tender sentiment and rich characterization, and is so satisfying, that they each feel like they could be be the ending of the story.
Dec 14, 2023 5:00 PM

Aug 2014
omg i didn't expect that I would love the eventual confession

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 3 Discussion

philautia_ - Jun 19, 2009

38 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Kare Kano Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Oct 21, 2008

69 by Aizzu »»
Apr 3, 11:18 AM

» Kare Kano

Lilly1x - Feb 8, 2009

2 by mokkocchi »»
Apr 2, 9:41 AM

» Best DVD quality for Kare Kano?!! (Some releases look better than others apparently...?)

LoganJones - Apr 13, 2019

2 by GreatAide »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Does anyone else agree that this anime deserves a remake the most?

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 23, 2022

11 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 25, 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.