Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 16, 2009 4:15 PM

Sep 2008
Full story here.

In short the person running the site was "BOX" himself. A while back when the adds were removed Boxtorrents was kept alive by the donation system alone. After a while curiosity got the best of the other staff so they wrote a script to see how much donation money Box was actually receiving, and came to find out that is was far more money then it actually took to keep the site afloat, meaning Box was making a profit off of Boxtorrents.

When the staff found this out they were "shocked" to see he was actually making profit off of the site so they made BakaBT then transferred everything over saying box actually did very little of the day to day maintenance that keep the site alive anyway. They said from then on donations would only be made to keep the site alive, extra would "rollover" to the next month, and after a certain amount of donations they would disable the donation system for the rest of the month.

Now I'm sure staff were probably mad because he was keeping all the excess donations, but boxtorrents allowed you to even/increase your ratio by the donation system so some people could of continued to donate for that reason. Even then this is probably for the best. I'm sure I'd be upset if I found out that the person who owned the server was getting paid while I was doing all the work or that the "non-profit" site was actually making somewhat of a profit.

Thoughts?

(I was going to place this in Anime discussion, but I felt it was more suited for GD since it's not directly related to anime, just indirectly related.)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 16, 2009 4:24 PM

Dec 2007
So what should he do with the extra money from donations?

A donation box is not something you can close till you need it again or else you will never know when you'll be in a pinch again...
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jun 16, 2009 4:27 PM

May 2008
I'm shocked. It's the first time I hear of this, had been wondering why I couldn't open boxtorrents today... man, it was running perfectly fine yesterday.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Jun 16, 2009 4:31 PM

Jun 2009
Wow that's sucks for them, they shouldn't of sold out to them other guys with all there stuff
Jun 16, 2009 4:36 PM

Sep 2008
ladyxzeus said:

A donation box is not something you can close till you need it again or else you will never know when you'll be in a pinch again...

They said that they had received enough donations to keep the site running for a "long time", but box still continued to accept donations. Meaning all the excess money wasn't going towards the non-profit site, but box's pocketbook.

By using the "disable" option they can receive donations during the month, and when they have enough for the month they can disable the option to donate. This means 100% of donations would go towards the non-profit site, and any extra they might receive would rollover to the next month.

It's not as if that extra money was being saved for a "pinch", but that there was so much extra money the site could of been ran "a long time" without donations, and someone was using it for personal gain.
Jun 16, 2009 4:43 PM
Jun 2007
Moral of the story: Don't donate to shit like this.
Jun 16, 2009 4:45 PM

May 2008
What I can't figure out is what Box will do now. I'm not even sure if the site was supposed to be non-profit; I mean, it was Box's site, and now it was hijacked by his admins. He should be pretty pissed right about now.
Jun 16, 2009 4:52 PM

Sep 2008
I see tons of posters saying that after the rest of the staff joined Boxtorrents started to flourish. I myself have never even seen him make an update. I can't say that he didn't do anything because this I don't know, but by the looks of it the staff did the majority of the work.

Boxtorrents is supposed to be a non-profit community, and I'm sure the staff were upset upon finding out that the person who did nothing but own the server/domain was collecting a tidy little sum of money.

Also to Hraesvelgr: Donations are what keep sites like this alive. I've never donated myself, but I do use Boxtorrents/BakaBT. If people didn't donate then this site wouldn't be alive unless they decided to put the adds back up.
Jun 16, 2009 5:05 PM

Apr 2007
So the 'scheduled server maintenance' was all just a coup d'etat? I've never donated to sites like these and probably never will. I maintain a good share ratio and that's about the extent of my support.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 16, 2009 5:51 PM

Oct 2008
The worst thing about this (aside from the whole scamming donations thing) is that they've moved to a new tracker, so it's going to take a while for torrents to get back close to their original seeding levels. =/
Jun 16, 2009 5:58 PM
Jun 2007
Umiko said:
Also to Hraesvelgr: Donations are what keep sites like this alive. I've never donated myself, but I do use Boxtorrents/BakaBT. If people didn't donate then this site wouldn't be alive unless they decided to put the adds back up.
Yes, I realize that and my point still remains. If they go under because of it, it isn't my problem.
Jun 16, 2009 7:25 PM

Aug 2007
He is the founder so really regardless of the reason they have no right to do that.
Jun 16, 2009 7:42 PM

Jun 2009
Making a profit isn't wrong, per se, but off donations that one would assume goes to the site, is.
Jun 16, 2009 7:46 PM

Feb 2009
Amusing mainly.

But when they lost the two big names in anime due to the 'get our stuff off of your site' demands, they lost a lot of content that made them worth it to go there.

And considering Boxtorrents was always to me, a site that supported saying 'screw you' to not distributing licenced anime, which is really counter to the normal attitude of places like Animesuki which only allows anime that is not licensed, I found it hard to care about Boxtorrents.

So I suspect a lot in the anime community are actually likely laughing their asses off over Box having his site essentially stolen right out from under him.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jun 16, 2009 8:01 PM

May 2008
It is funny, isn't it? Oh, and animesuki is a great site, by the way.
Jun 16, 2009 8:19 PM

Dec 2006
What a self-righteous dick move. I seriously doubt they did this shit out of 'good will' for the community. Yeah fucking right lol

When the staff found this out they were "shocked" to see he was actually making profit off of the site so they made BakaBT then transferred everything over saying box actually did very little of the day to day maintenance that keep the site alive anyway.

Douche bags just wanted a piece of the donation pie for the work they agreed to do for free in the first place.
リスト 。。

Jun 16, 2009 8:29 PM

Sep 2008
Yea, I suspected the same thing myself. I'd be pretty damn upset though if I knew I was doing the work while Box was getting paid , but they did volunteer freely to begin with so I suppose how it's looked at would be subjective.

I can't say I wouldn't of done the same thing as Box (hell, if given the chance I'd be trying to make a little bit of money, too), but at the same time I can't say I wouldn't of done the same thing as the staff if in the same position.

I've never donated nor do I plan to donate, and I don't even keep a 1:1 ratio (Currently 100Gb behind). But in general Boxtorrents/BakaBT is/was an awesome place to get hard to find unlicensed series, and OST batches so the situation interests me, somewhat.
Jun 16, 2009 8:48 PM

Aug 2007
Sukunai said:
Amusing mainly.

But when they lost the two big names in anime due to the 'get our stuff off of your site' demands, they lost a lot of content that made them worth it to go there.

And considering Boxtorrents was always to me, a site that supported saying 'screw you' to not distributing licenced anime, which is really counter to the normal attitude of places like Animesuki which only allows anime that is not licensed, I found it hard to care about Boxtorrents.

So I suspect a lot in the anime community are actually likely laughing their asses off over Box having his site essentially stolen right out from under him.

Any site that allows licensed material is better than both of the sites anyway.
Jun 16, 2009 9:08 PM

Nov 2008
A tale you hear much too often. Reminds me of a certain private Ragnarok server which encountered much the same fate.
Jun 16, 2009 11:15 PM

May 2008
Inb4 lawsuit.
Jun 17, 2009 12:40 AM

Jan 2009
This makes me mad because I hate the word baka.
Jun 17, 2009 1:11 AM
Feb 2009
Damn, I donated a whole $5.00 too. Oh well, *updates bookmarks, ignores drama*.
Jun 17, 2009 5:55 AM

Feb 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
Sukunai said:
Amusing mainly.

Any site that allows licensed material is better than both of the sites anyway.

Well I myself am no one's idea of a paragon of virtue.
I am after all a rampant downloader.
When I want something, all I am interested in who has it, and who has it that is the easiest source to get it from with the best quality of content.

I just scored some artbooks from the 'new Box', and I couldn't give a flying fuck what my ratio is. You can get torrent portions off me until I get my file, then it's get the rest from someone else.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jun 17, 2009 6:32 AM

Mar 2008
I don't trust these donation sites... What makes you think they just wanted the piece of the pie therefore stage a coup.
Jun 17, 2009 6:49 AM

Feb 2009
You have to assume the story is true which I think not. I'm starting to think this is a fight for power. I think the new admins are corrupt. All well I have faith in Box to get his site back and delete those power hungry losers. Box was not a bad guy, I once asked if I would need to donate to keep a good ratio and he said no I just needed to seed and I would be fine so he was not craving cash. I really don't believe this story and hope Box goes after these guys.
Jun 17, 2009 7:37 AM
Mar 2009
Kira said:
What a self-righteous dick move. I seriously doubt they did this shit out of 'good will' for the community. Yeah fucking right lol

When the staff found this out they were "shocked" to see he was actually making profit off of the site so they made BakaBT then transferred everything over saying box actually did very little of the day to day maintenance that keep the site alive anyway.

Douche bags just wanted a piece of the donation pie for the work they agreed to do for free in the first place.

The new site's donations are already closed after less than a day. People had donated enough for 3-4 months of server upkeep. It costs about $105 a month.

They haven't given any figures how much Box was making off it but if even 1% of users donated $5 each, with 180k registered users that's 9 grand.
Jun 17, 2009 7:51 AM

Feb 2009
Loraen said:
Kira said:

The new site's donations are already closed after less than a day. People had donated enough for 3-4 months of server upkeep. It costs about $105 a month.

They haven't given any figures how much Box was making off it but if even 1% of users donated $5 each, with 180k registered users that's 9 grand.
There is no proof of those numbers being true. They could be lying easily.
Jun 17, 2009 7:56 AM

Jul 2008
Hraesvelgr said:
Moral of the story: There's no such thing as a non-profit organization.
fixed
Jun 17, 2009 9:28 AM
Jun 2009
As a member of BxT which has hung around for a while now (coming up on 4 years), I'll throw in my chip and say that I highly, highly doubt this was a power thing. Box himself was absent for the vast majority of those years, with all the work being done by the current admins.

The "new" admins aren't new. They've had total control of the site for the last 3-4 years. Box only popped in and out on very rare occasions. This can't be a power struggle simply because they have had power the entire time.

As for wanting a piece of the pie, I doubt that as well. They're all pretty honest people who have done nothing but vastly improve the site in one way or another.

And really, I don't blame them for not carrying licensed titles. Try setting up mass distribution of FuNi titles yourself and see how well that goes.
Jun 17, 2009 9:40 AM

May 2008
I've been asked to pass on a message from one of the BakaBT staff, here goes:

psyren said:
Nice to see lots of moral high horse posts by retards who know absolutely nothing.

Also tell them about this page. Since they're retards, please explain to them that in the space of one day, we have had enough donations to last 6 months, which is why our donations are closed.
http://www.bakabt.com/donate_chart.php
Dermatitus have plagued men for millenia. Peace, THERE IS NO CURE.
Jun 17, 2009 11:19 AM

Aug 2007
iindigo said:
And really, I don't blame them for not carrying licensed titles. Try setting up mass distribution of FuNi titles yourself and see how well that goes.

Really now? You can find their licensed crap on some torrent sites if you look.

deadskin said:

psyren said:
Nice to see lots of moral high horse posts by retards who know absolutely nothing.

Also tell them about this page. Since they're retards, please explain to them that in the space of one day, we have had enough donations to last 6 months, which is why our donations are closed.
[url=http://www.bakabt.com/donate_chart.php]http://www.bakabt.com/donate_chart.php

I don't really care about the donations. I really doubt they have any reply about the site not being theirs.
Jun 17, 2009 11:24 AM
Jun 2007
Vagabond said:
Hraesvelgr said:
Moral of the story: There's no such thing as a non-profit organization.
fixed
Well, fine. That's true, too.
deadskin said:

psyren said:

[url=http://www.bakabt.com/donate_chart.php]http://www.bakabt.com/donate_chart.php
Hey, I'm glad to see they were mature about it!...oh wait.
Jun 17, 2009 11:29 AM

Feb 2008
hay guys hw come my tracker isn't responding plz help quick.

Poor guys. It's a rough story. I can't believe what Box was doing. Seems pretty scummy.
Jun 17, 2009 11:37 AM
Jun 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
iindigo said:

Really now? You can find their licensed crap on some torrent sites if you look.

You'll also notice that for the most part, it's pretty scattered, which makes the sites that do host it a more difficult target for companies to go after. If they were hosted on BxT/BkT and C&D letters were ignored, it'd give Funi and others plenty to go after in court.
Jun 17, 2009 12:12 PM

Aug 2007
deadskin said:

psyren said:

Ahhh, the defensive grade school approach. Gotta love it.

Quite frankly, I'm not believing anyone in this situaition. Why? It's a he said, she said situation. I see no proof other than a few people saying there was something shady. Box hasn't come out to say anything that I could find. I see no stats, no numbers, no bills and no statements.

As someone who works with money and all the legalities that go along with it, I see how important information is. I can understand why the staff might not want to share actual proof, but if it can't be shared, you can't expect everyone to blindly come to your defense, and believe everything you are saying.

So to the staff member that can't come and post their own 'defense' . If you can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what you are saying is true, you can't expect everyone to automatically believe your story. You just can't. And to get upset over people discussing the possibility that maybe what YOU guys are doing shady is just silly. I've been reading the threads on the new site, and I see some of the staff members talking about it intelligantly, and answering the concerns of the members instead of attacking them. I really hope you didn't expect everyone to fawn over this new site and accept everything that you are saying.

Could it be true? Most definitely. But could it not be true? Yup. I reserve judgement till I see some hard proof. Too bad, I liked BoxTorrents.

Jun 17, 2009 1:18 PM
Oct 2008
Umiko said:
Yea, I suspected the same thing myself. I'd be pretty damn upset though if I knew I was doing the work while Box was getting paid , but they did volunteer freely to begin with so I suppose how it's looked at would be subjective.

I can't say I wouldn't of done the same thing as Box (hell, if given the chance I'd be trying to make a little bit of money, too), but at the same time I can't say I wouldn't of done the same thing as the staff if in the same position.

I feel the same way too, BUT there oughta be a limit of what you're taking. After all, the donations are intended to keep the site up and running. I don't recall seeing there "AND ALSO FOR MY PERSONAL USES/LUXURIES/ADDICTIONS. And also when asked regarding the donations, box allegedly told them "that it was enough to pay the bills every month with a little extra over". He wasn't transparent enough to tell them that the money was actually more than enough to pay the monthly mortgage of his car and that he didn't even bothered to give each of his staff a ps3 as a gift last Christmas.

So apparently the staff (who is doing all the work) felt betrayed and exploited. The BoxTorrents community was also betrayed as well, but their opinions and feelings varies since, well, only a small fraction donates but still results to a staggering amount? omg xD Well in my opinion it's okay to profit off that. But you have to maintain a level of integrity. The staff and the donators, nevermiind the useless community of leechers, have the right or at least deserve to know where their good money and hard work goes.

Anyone here knows of the Hentairu/Nihonomaru Scandal? xD
Jun 17, 2009 1:43 PM

Aug 2007
cL0ud777 said:

Anyone here knows of the Hentairu/Nihonomaru Scandal? xD

Nope, and I couldn't find anything on Google either.

Quite frankly, it's the admin's word against his.

Its like a judge and jury situation. Both parties are going to come in claiming their innocence in the matter. Its up to the judge and jury to make their own opinions based on both sides of the story. I mean, eventually the judge has to create a mistrial or automatic guilt if the defendant doesn't appear...however it has only been a day and his GF Holy has made a few attempts at contact and the staff deleted those comments, so I don't think he is going to go about this quietly.

I'd like to hear his side before I make an opinion. But to insult people because their opionions don't match? Childish.

Go ahead, quote this too deadskin. Getting interesting enough for you -_-

Jun 17, 2009 1:59 PM

May 2008
Don't you have an account yourself?
Jun 17, 2009 2:04 PM

Aug 2007
That I do, and I have posted already. I felt that since you quoted me over there already, I may as well post there myself.

Jun 17, 2009 2:41 PM

May 2008
He delivers: http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=18656.msg430331#msg430331
Jun 17, 2009 3:02 PM

Aug 2007
deadskin said:
He delivers: [url=http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=18656.msg430331#msg430331]http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=18656.msg430331#msg430331

Excellant! I can't wait to read it! :)

Jun 17, 2009 3:14 PM

Jul 2007
TBH if the admins did all the work, and Box next to zero, they i dont blame them.
How piss taking is it when you do your bosses work most days, and get next to nothing to show for it. If people don't agree with what they did, then dont go to the site and it will die, simple as.
Jun 17, 2009 3:22 PM

Aug 2007
bio-boosted-kite said:
TBH if the admins did all the work, and Box next to zero, they i dont blame them.
How piss taking is it when you do your bosses work most days, and get next to nothing to show for it. If people don't agree with what they did, then dont go to the site and it will die, simple as.

In general I find that most of the people at the top have enough 'power' to hire the people to do all the work for them. My bf is a Project Manager, and he just deligates the work. He finds himself bored :) However, he still gets credit for the work being done. There are the owners, and the workers. I could own a resteraunt, delegate people to run it and reap the benefits. Fair? Not really....but life.

That being said, Im happy with Box's answer. He was very mature about it. Im glad the admin's aren't going to get into a flame war about it publicly ^^;

Jun 17, 2009 3:30 PM

May 2008
Well, he did get to reap the profits for who knows how long. It should be nNo suprise that he'd try to bail himself out and avoid more trouble.
Jun 17, 2009 3:58 PM

Feb 2009
I am glad to hear he was innocent. They were the wrong ones and should give the site back but whatever box has better things to do I suppose. BXT was going downhill anyways no licensed or dual audio except a few series.
Jun 17, 2009 4:12 PM

Aug 2007
shugo2540 said:
I am glad to hear he was innocent. They were the wrong ones and should give the site back but whatever box has better things to do I suppose. BXT was going downhill anyways no licensed or dual audio except a few series.

Well, it really isn't "innocent" vs "guilty" just because he responded, doesn't automatically make him innocent.

That being said, I did some research on the seedboxes he was talking about. You can get some good ones for 100$ a month, or as low as 10$ a month. So he could have been spending up to 70$ or 700$ a month on dedicated servers, not to mention the cost for the site itself. Really, it wouldn't be known unless someone shares bills and things of that sort, and both parties won't share any of that...so its really up to them at this point.

Jun 17, 2009 5:23 PM

Jun 2009
ladyxzeus said:

Titty Bar?
Jun 17, 2009 6:54 PM

Aug 2007
Let them have the site anyway. I bet the staff who deleted his account and banned him are actually too cowardly to sign up and post here like that psyren person.
Jun 17, 2009 8:34 PM
Nov 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
Let them have the site anyway. I bet the staff who deleted his account and banned him are actually too cowardly to sign up and post here like that psyren person.

And I call your bluff
*rolls eyes*
I suggest reading the new announcement and make however you wish of it.

Edit:
I'm not going to make any excuses or justifications for people's actions since I'm not anyone else but me. I have my own opinion on matters and I expect everyone to have their own, regardless of if they are right or wrong. I think enough detail was given for people to get an idea of the situation without both sides driving each others reputations into the ground in a needless flamewar, since i feel it solves nothing. But I am at least thankful that both sides actually get to state their case and let the public decide.
NazoJun 17, 2009 8:43 PM
Jun 17, 2009 8:53 PM

Aug 2008
deadskin said:
He delivers: [url=http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=18656.msg430331#msg430331]http://forums.bakabt.com/index.php?topic=18656.msg430331#msg430331

"if I was a regular staff member I would have been 'fired' which is effectively what has happened here." --Box

That's basically what it comes down to. As long as everything gets caught back up & ppl still care to maintain the site, then everything will be all right. I'm glad he made a statement. It really clears things up. Hate the new name, but if the service stays the same I'm willing to go along. *thumbs up* peace out.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.