Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 24 Discussion

Apr 26, 2016 3:16 AM
Free Shrugs

I'll take that ending, it was fine. I do prefer the first season though, it was way more intense with the horror type of stuff.

Jul 7, 2016 7:42 AM

"I couldn't possible miss at this range!"

LOL
-Doesn't know how to use a gun
-Holding it in one hand for dramatic effect
-Bad weather conditions
-Clearly not in a psychologically healthy state

You don't even need to rely on batshit crazy magic powers, she was unlikely to hit and even more unlikely to hit anything vital.

//rly Bern? Y u in higurashi

Jul 29, 2016 11:53 AM

just finished the series, 9/10 from me... now i must watch the rei and other specials

Sep 6, 2016 3:05 AM
So, finally made it through to the end over Labor Day Weekend.

I'm entirely okay with a "happy ending", even if Tokano doesn't die hoist by her own petard as I had expected her to. I mean, there are really only four ways to end a time looping story:
1) Find a perfect way out
2) Find a way out with a lot of losses and remember those who fell (Groundhog Day -- homeless man still dies)
3) There's no way out ("Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home.")
4) There's no way out and you're lost in time and don't know it

So it was either going to end really happy or really sad. Fine.

What I have to dislike strongly is the screenplay and pacing of the last four episodes. Much like FMA:B and a few other series, the climax gets drawn out, the plot stops staying true to the strengths it's had before, and the characterization and dialog collapses to match what the plot is doing. Once it was known that Rika was alive, Tokyo should have been satisfied that the research was still correct, right? If the group was at a point where they were worried about news leaking out and prepared to massacre the 2K villagers anyway, why not just pull the trigger regardless once things went off the rails?

Contrary to some of the others who've posted here that just wanted tons of gore, I'm fine without that presence in this arc. Gore is shocking, but the suspense, tension, and mystery are what create the horror.

A story about how friendship, trust, and the "missing piece" are needed to win is fine, but unless the lesson involves magical loss of skills and equipment as an unavoidable result of the missing piece being in there (which might have worked if they had said at the start of the arc that fate had dictated that they now had to win and it was just a matter of how it happened), the way things were resolved really does a disservice to the effect it spent so much time building up.

What I didn't want at the end was one deus ex machina after another. For all its excellent use of pacing, plot tension, and character development, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Kai) ended with the second coming of the Ewoks' fight in Star Wars.

Sep 27, 2016 2:01 AM
Shounen is trash

k i guess that was ok... lol.. idk how people like the 2nd season better than the 1st still... overall 2nd season 7/10 i guess.. confusing final mins lol

Oct 25, 2016 12:21 PM

One of the Best anime ever made indeed!!!
Thank you for the amazing journey, with perfect ending

Oct 29, 2016 5:01 PM

That was a great ending! I still don't feel bad for Takano though, after all the shit she put Rika through.
And WTF to that ending with the older Rika and young Takano

Jan 31, 2017 11:34 PM

In hindsight, the way the mysteries were approached in S1 was great; however, the way the answers were given in this season was that much better.

8/10

Feb 10, 2017 2:50 AM
God of the Realm

ill always keep this anime within my heart loved it was a great series characters will always be by my side
Facta Non Verba

Apr 3, 2017 12:11 AM

As much as I loved the first season, while initially liking this season I felt like many others it dragged on too long and was a bit stale in parts. It lacked the intensity and atmosphere of series one and I feel they went overboard in explaining everything when the thing that was great about series one was the feeling that you didnt know what hell was going on most of the time and didn't know what to expect.
I lost interest towards the end but finally finished the series and felt the last episode redemed it a lot. I liked the end part with the young takano, it confused me in a good way and left me with something to think about. Going to watch the next series now.

May 31, 2017 12:16 AM

I loved this series, it's honestly the best I've seen in a long time. What happened to Satoshi though? Did he ever get better? Guess I'll find out in season 3
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."

Jun 24, 2017 11:08 PM

Didn't think it would end this way especially after the S1. I can't remember which episode but when they revealed who the real villain(s) are I was greatly amazed! So the moral of this story is that everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE has to work together to defeat the bad fate. Still a lot of questions are left especially concerning the fantasy supernatural stuff. But overall it was just as great as the first season.. though they have very different approaches, pacings, twists and feels.

9/10, not less, not more..

Those ending minutes though.. remind me of S1.. so cryptic.. so intriguing... so we just have to watch the remaining sequels for all the questions to be answered, right?!?!?

BTW This season reminds me much of Steins;Gate!!! How enchanting!!!!!

Modified by AX3M, Jun 24, 2017 11:21 PM
Signature textified. Please follow AX3M to see what led him to this textification or see his anime list for unbelievable scores and hentai titles.

Sep 20, 2017 9:35 PM

CorporaCallosa said:
So, finally made it through to the end over Labor Day Weekend.

I'm entirely okay with a "happy ending", even if Tokano doesn't die hoist by her own petard as I had expected her to. I mean, there are really only four ways to end a time looping story:
1) Find a perfect way out
2) Find a way out with a lot of losses and remember those who fell (Groundhog Day -- homeless man still dies)
3) There's no way out ("Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home.")
4) There's no way out and you're lost in time and don't know it

So it was either going to end really happy or really sad. Fine.

What I have to dislike strongly is the screenplay and pacing of the last four episodes. Much like FMA:B and a few other series, the climax gets drawn out, the plot stops staying true to the strengths it's had before, and the characterization and dialog collapses to match what the plot is doing. Once it was known that Rika was alive, Tokyo should have been satisfied that the research was still correct, right? If the group was at a point where they were worried about news leaking out and prepared to massacre the 2K villagers anyway, why not just pull the trigger regardless once things went off the rails?

Contrary to some of the others who've posted here that just wanted tons of gore, I'm fine without that presence in this arc. Gore is shocking, but the suspense, tension, and mystery are what create the horror.

A story about how friendship, trust, and the "missing piece" are needed to win is fine, but unless the lesson involves magical loss of skills and equipment as an unavoidable result of the missing piece being in there (which might have worked if they had said at the start of the arc that fate had dictated that they now had to win and it was just a matter of how it happened), the way things were resolved really does a disservice to the effect it spent so much time building up.

What I didn't want at the end was one deus ex machina after another. For all its excellent use of pacing, plot tension, and character development, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Kai) ended with the second coming of the Ewoks' fight in Star Wars.

This is exactly how i feel; i think it's also why i prefer the original FMA to Brotherhood.
These last few episodes did not at all fit with how higurashi was prior; really became a shonen-esque action series, and while i thought the ending where the group of friends confront Takano was great, the events leading up to it did it a dis-service. I rolled my eyes as to how easily they were able to take down the Yamainu, a bunch of kids versus trained personnel. Serious the Yamainu are complete idiots..

Some other things: If Rika's death triggers the disease to reach its terminal stage, then why did nothing happen after Rika killed herself in the Shion arc in Ni? Takano states that within 36 hours, stage 5 symptoms of the disease present themselves, and within 48 hours, people become violent. Why then did none of this happen during that story? Or was Keiichi's hallucination of Shion in the hospital a sign that the symptoms were getting more severe?

Also who was the woman in the end? Was it Rika? Did she travel back in time? if it's some other character entirely then that should be explained, but no other future arc explains it.

i wasn't a fan of only Hanyuu remembering Takano killing everyone, either. The whole point of Rika getting gutted alive was for her to remember those events; and she's capable of doing this since she remembered immediately the last few events of Ni when we first saw her in Kai and pretty much every single tragedy that happened in the other worlds she visited.

It wasn't explained either how Keiichi and the others were able to remember the things that they did in the other worlds. They just...were able to and no reason was really given. The last episodes where they go after Takano doesn't even mention any of that and the friends just kind of go along with what Rika and Hanyuu are saying. It seemed incredibly lazy and rushed.

Overall i really did enjoy this series, it's just those last few episodes..19-24..that really disappointed me.
Modified by Alfonse, Sep 20, 2017 9:39 PM

Feb 6, 6:26 AM

Wrapped up all the questions s1 left behind but the final episodes were rushed. I prefer s1 for the sense of mystery. S1 is a 9/10 and in my favourites list. S2 is an 8/10 however.

Feb 25, 5:22 PM

A good show overall with great mystery but somehow loses its cool towards the end when little kids start going OP (high IQ plans lol) and some unexplained mythical being such as this little angel start to appear.

Takano parts made me raise it back to 7. I think in terms of mystery this may be one of the good shows out there.

I liked the first season more but the 2nd still deserves a 7 because of its nice reveals.

Nov 24, 1:15 PM

Pretty solid season, I liked it more than the first. Takano is a really good character, I would've prefered if she didn't get a happy ending though.. I guess it was more setup for S3, but I liked it the way it was. It was more heart wrenching that way. Never really hated Takano throughout the episodes anyways, all characters went mental at some point and her developement was very frustrating and painful to follow.

She doesn't make a good villain because she isn't really one, that was one thing I learned by the end of it.

Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]