Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 25, 2012 12:59 AM

Jul 2012
i think i liked season 1 better for the gore and horror but season 2 finally gave me all the answers to their craze. love how all the characters really grew into each other and worked as a team. in the end they finally break fate but juss a lil too easy for me taking over takano over the mountain. overall i give it 7/10
IanppinesJul 25, 2012 1:04 AM
Aug 13, 2012 1:34 PM

Oct 2011
I'm totally confused now .... what's the relation between the world in the first episode and that new world in the last episode .
there's two worlds or what !! ?
in another way ... when Rika dies in world "A" ,she returns back on time to create a new world "B" ... my question is : what will be happen to the world "A" ??
Aug 13, 2012 3:07 PM

Nov 2011
Ah, it ends. Such a great ending. I'm gonna miss this series (don't plan on watching Rei for awhile) 9/10

Rarely does a series pull me in and make me want to marathon as much as this one did. I enjoyed season 1 a little more just because of the craziness, but this one was great for the explaining....and Hanyuu.
BeedlebudAug 13, 2012 3:11 PM
Aug 31, 2012 12:57 PM
Jul 2012
ah, i was laughin like a maniac most of the way through s1 and 2, esp in 1, more dramatic moments in 2, but unlike some ppl (on page 2 or 3) i wasnt watching just for the violence, ive already seen elfen lied and mirai nikki so no voilence fix needed

it was a great story and an over all good job tying in all the loose ends neatly, and i for one, think the characters deserved the perfect ending after all they went through in the other worlds (as only we, rika, and hanyuu know, unless they didnt bother mentioning they remembered in this last world they remembered, i think it hinted a few times the posibility of some, but not everyone)

now i cant decide where to go from here, watch season 3 first, even tho its just a 5 eps ova, or watch umineko first, since the ending of this show shows a char from that one in it..and is referred to as the third installment...

8/10 (reminded me of "endless eight" + mirai nikki + Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai, so couldnt give it higher than an 8, but its still a damn good show lol)
Hito420Aug 31, 2012 1:01 PM
Sep 1, 2012 5:17 AM

Aug 2012
The last few episodes were so disappointing. The first 4 episodes of season 1 were amazing and they had me hooked, but I feel like the show just began deteriorating slowly. The twists were cool, the show was interesting but the show felt like it began to slow down, but still it was good. And then in the last few episodes it was almost terrible. The soldiers were built up to be so fearsome and terrible in previous episodes just did so poorly and it bothered me a lot. The fact that a bunch of kids with a few traps managed to beat all these soldiers who had rocket launchers and snipers because of the power of friendship and working together almost made me cringe.

A great series don't get me wrong, and that little rant probably made it seem like I didn't appreciate the show as much as I did, because I definitely do. But all the talk of sticking together and how they went about beating the soldiers did leave a sour taste in my mouth. I did really like the last little clip about the evil woman (I really can't remember or spell Japanese names) was a nice touch though.
Sep 17, 2012 3:50 PM

Sep 2011
loub31 said:
I'm totally confused now .... what's the relation between the world in the first episode and that new world in the last episode .

Yes, there are more than two worlds and their memories were somewhat combining or etc. (I don't know what appropriate term to be use).

loub31 said:

in another way ... when Rika dies in world "A" ,she returns back on time to create a new world "B" ... my question is : what will be happen to the world "A" ??

World A does still exist but it's now useless because they didn't seek any happiness from that world.

Sep 25, 2012 12:12 PM

Mar 2012
just rewatched, I love this show
Sep 25, 2012 12:40 PM
Dec 2007
Sa-chan_ said:
loub31 said:

Yes, there are more than two worlds and their memories were somewhat combining or etc. (I don't know what appropriate term to be use).

loub31 said:

World A does still exist but it's now useless because they didn't seek any happiness from that world.
Technically there's several worlds. Rika hints she's lived over a hundred years just hopping between worlds.

Oct 4, 2012 6:30 PM

Aug 2012
Takano stole the show.
Oct 9, 2012 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
I don't know about yall but I thought Takano was sexy as crap her craziness was so a turn on....lol maybe i have a fetish for crazy chicks or something idk also that future looking Rika looks hot to
Nov 29, 2012 3:43 PM

Mar 2011
Even that the mystery was revealed I don't think that this season was nearly as good as the first one. Most of the season was like something made up to fill the gap between the 1st and the happy ending. Without any reasonable explanation how the characters have changed so much in this time Hinamidzava from the others we've seen before....
Satoshi alive, Orio Sonodzaki kind and harmless, Shion now beloving sister of Satoko and going to school with the others and Satoko's uncle even didn't showed up...
Nov 29, 2012 3:47 PM

Aug 2009
Sword_master said:
Even that the mystery was revealed I don't think that this season was nearly as good as the first one. Most of the season was like something made up to fill the gap between the 1st and the happy ending. Without any reasonable explanation how the characters have changed so much in this time Hinamidzava from the others we've seen before....
Satoshi alive, Orio Sonodzaki kind and harmless, Shion now beloving sister of Satoko and going to school with the others and Satoko's uncle even didn't showed up...
Because this time they didnt go insane from the Hinamizawa Syndrome.
Dec 4, 2012 5:04 AM

Aug 2011
ssjokg said:
Sword_master said:
Because this time they didnt go insane from the Hinamizawa Syndrome.
Just to add to that, I'm pretty sure Satoshi was always alive but we just didn't know about it. You also have to remember that the worlds vary, and there are worlds in which Keichi doesn't even move in. This world might have been a lucky one- the best out of the hundreds that Rika has been through.

Loved this series.
It got unrealistic towards the end? Eh, to hell with that. The whole thing was a "miracle" after all. 10/10
Dec 28, 2012 7:29 PM

Jan 2011
I only have one thing to say to recap the series.

Grown-up Rika more like hottie.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe
Jan 3, 2013 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
Love the show but the ending feel a little anti climatic. Higurashi as a whole is a great drama, thriller, horror, comedy series but it falls short in action. The actions in the last couple episodes, after Irie has gone to the Sonozaki's estate, left me face-palming so many times. I was willing to set aside these flaws and add this anime to my top 5, just like I did with Eureka Seven but the forced drama with Miyo and lackluster performance from Keiichi (common's Keiichi you are the only man in the main cast and you let Mion & Hanyuu take a bullet for you? There goes the hope for the boy who will change fate) took it down the 9/10 for me. It's sad really, I had such high hopes. The supporting casts are awesome: Akasaka, Irie, Kasai, and Ooishi all left strong impressions. Too bad that the Yamainu looked like paper tigers in the end. Yamainu vs. Banken is like CIA vs. Navy Seals. This should have been much more epic
Jan 10, 2013 6:49 AM
Nov 2010
the ending bring an end to the story^^
at least no cliffhanger this time
Hi
Jan 21, 2013 2:14 PM
Sep 2011
2/5 , Disliked this episode. It is profound that I disliked this episode because I disliked the very ending of this season. But here is my reasoning:

1) I think that the first season was much better in, probably, the majority of different apects. It had a very interesting storyline (even though we didn't know anything about what happened in each different storyline), had set a spooky mood-setting and if I have to say, unique in the 221 anime I have finished until this moment (everything that a GOOD horror show has to do to be recognized as GOOD).

2) Even though I dislike this ending, I was surprised by it. (and for an ending's show to be surprising can be good the most of the times). However, that was not the case in Higurashi season 2. This season had a very intriguing part when telling the story behind the scenes of the first season and bringing together the puzzle pieces but it was ruined by the forced genre changes from drama to mystery and back again. It had an incosistent mood through the whole season.

3) The ending was totally unrealistic and too pleasant for this kind of the series. This gives me a strong point to think about the author of the plot. Maybe after bringing up something really interesting in the first season, he wanted lazily to patch up the missing pieces of the puzzle? I wonder.... Yamainu, a teriffing organization which stayed undefeated the whole two seasons with ease, defeated in the end by a bunch of kids with the power of the friendship..... which obviously can defeate fate. So, it's like saying that traps hidden on a mountain can easily defeat fate along with 40-50 grown-up men.... Well, if they're idiots that could be the case.

4) I am not, in any case, making fun of the power of friendship. There are many anime shows that use it in a huge quantity. However, in Higurashi there was not quality. We turned a dark plot filled with questions about gods, spirits, conspiracies unique terminal deceases and aliens and turned it to a happy "Friends can defeat every enemy stands in their way if they are together"..... Well, it significantly took a turn to the worst. It became more cliched and used more cliched archetypes (Miyo the bad-good maiden, Rika the child with the childish voice and the deep voice when talking seriously and revealing things from parallel words and the useless god (with only exception the ending) Hanyuu).

5) For those who state that this anime was great and specifically touching... I don't know what to say. In this season there were many times where I thought that statements like "we can't escape from fate" couldn't get more boring and cliched. The ending was happy, so the touching moments are nowhere to be found. (And don't go out of your way and tell me that Rika escaped, so we are touched.) There is a small number of other animes out there which are more unique and touching simultenously than this.

So, ending my paragraph and reminding that it was not a paragraph of hate, I will declare that it was an interesting watch whatsoever. It also had better animation and art style than the previous season (even though the first season's opening was very good and set the mood immediately from the beginning).

Verdict : Even though flawed, it was an interesting watch. 6/10 for the Higurashi no naku koro ni kai.
AnimeCrusaderJan 21, 2013 2:19 PM
Feb 7, 2013 9:39 PM

Dec 2012
The action was great, it didn't have other choice, if they wanted to change fate they obviously would have to fight, in some other chapters it was boring how they couldn't escape because they were tired of running. The ending was good, I didn't understan the very last part though
Feb 21, 2013 9:19 PM

Feb 2012
Enjoyed this season way more then the 2nd. I'll give it a 9/10!
Feb 23, 2013 2:00 AM

Sep 2011
Wow. What a ride Season 1 + Season 2 has been. Everything fitted into place so well during this season because I was able to understand all the confusing shit that happened during Season 1. I'm glad nobody from the Main characters + Police died. That made me really happy to see them alive.

Also the ending was a bit weird there. Takano childhood changes it seems like in a different "World." She's told by looks like Rika, but it seems to be a different person (Looked it up on Wiki) Frederika Bernkastel. She asks whether she wants to die or live ETC, she decides to say "die" and she goes with her parents; however it seems they took a different bus than before.

10/10!
TyrelFeb 23, 2013 2:06 AM
Mar 25, 2013 8:41 AM

Jan 2012
boring boring boring..... maybe im missing something that everyone else has, or maybe i was being too critical based on the first season and the fact that was so awesome and gory and tense and quite creepy, this turned into a crime/detective with a little bit of thriller here and there, and i didn't like that... was hard to watch and get through but i will be watching the 3rd season in hopes that it goes back to how the first season was....

only good thing about this season is that it explained the curse and everything else, and i understood everything a lot better than the first! but apart from that just seriously mediocre for me....
Mar 26, 2013 10:40 AM

Jun 2012
in episode 22 what did Shion tells(it only shows lips moving but no voice) to Keiichi when he trying to climb down..any ideas ?
Apr 3, 2013 11:23 AM

Mar 2013
Rika ripping off that piece of paper from the calendar really made me shed some tears of happiness :)
Everything worked out fine , although im not sure about the endind , or what hinamizawa syndrome is really about . . . .

Maybe the next seasons will give the answers ? Also im so dissapointed by the commenters that expected a bloodbath.... Please... Go back to dbz or something, not that i dont like dbz, but i didnt watch higurashi just for the bloodbath... Despite starting watching it for the gory scenes i heard it had i realised that the story behind is far more interesting than just your average splatter, and i respect that.

If you wanted a splatter you should really have quit higurashi earlier and watched something else.

versuz said:
in episode 22 what did Shion tells(it only shows lips moving but no voice) to Keiichi when he trying to climb down..any ideas ?

Irier brings it up in the 3rd part of episode 22. Basically shion mentions that she told him if he dies in her place her sister will be mad at her, and that the person she loves is gone, but her sister's isn't..
Basically implying that Mion likes Keichi like all the other arcs :)
Apr 7, 2013 7:59 AM

Feb 2013
Glad to see Takano have at least a happy ending :D

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Apr 30, 2013 11:02 AM
Aug 2011
Damn Rika didn't grow breasts as she wanted!

I am in between giving it a 9 or a 10, I guess I'll choose 9.
May 23, 2013 1:48 PM

Sep 2009
I like the ending and hearing Takano's cry while hugging to Tomitako is so sad and nice.. she's like a child :)

I DON'T GET THE ENDING :?
Why is Rika there? And she became taller and adult ..
And why is Takano there .. O.O
May 23, 2013 1:54 PM

Apr 2013
^

Apparently it's a parody of Uminiko When They Cry cause he made them both.
Jun 29, 2013 10:47 PM

Sep 2012
I ended up giving a 7. I liked it but liked the last season a bit more. Though I will probably watch the next season and other stuff also if I can.
Jul 25, 2013 7:32 PM

Jan 2013
Aww it was adorable how happy Rika was when she found out that Akasakaakkakaka was okay!

The ending wasn't too clear but i'm assuming that the specials/other seasons will clear that up!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2013 1:17 PM

Jun 2013
so that's it, the whole story was finished...
ahh... are the story really over...?
no more nippahh....

9/10
Aug 8, 2013 11:47 AM

May 2012
Done but still so confused....
Aug 8, 2013 12:52 PM
Apr 2013
I prefered this season because it had a better plot and Takano is on my list as best villian.
Aug 11, 2013 1:53 AM

Oct 2012
i didnt get the ending at all
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 11, 2013 7:01 PM

May 2013
Very nice ending.

I will give it like the first season a 9/10.
Aug 16, 2013 11:24 PM

Jun 2011
The ending was a bit unclear, but great series =)
Aug 30, 2013 2:13 PM

Feb 2011
Dat bitch sucked it like a pro!! She ate dat thang like dere was no tomorro!! Revenge r us of a!!

On a more serious note, I really liked how she fell into despair as a way of paying her sins, was a bit disappointed that Hanyuu survived though, was expecting to see some blood. Anyway, great show, happy ending is happy.
Sep 1, 2013 1:16 AM

May 2013
Love the series from start to finish.
Sep 1, 2013 7:31 AM

Dec 2012
Finally finished this... Well, what can I say. It was a good ride for most of Season 1, but Season 2 is pretty forgettable and I can say I do not like the change in atmosphere to become a typical friendship and love conquers all kind of show. The buildup for Season 2 was way too slow in my opinion, which led it to becoming extremely boring, especially 'rescuing Satoko arc' which made me nearly drop the show. However, after getting past that, we finally start to get answers and the show became somewhat bearable, despite still being abysmally slow. It wasn't until the last 5 episode before I felt a rush because of the action that is going on, and despite how cheesy it was, I managed to enjoy the ending at the very least.

I would say the last few episodes redeemed the series. I liked the supernatural and tension in the first season (I don't really enjoy gore, but it was the tension that made me attracted in the first place) It might seem extremely harsh, but I'm only giving this 5/10. It avoided a lower score because of how it redeemed itself towards the ending after a painfully slow start.
Nov 18, 2013 2:55 PM

Jun 2013
Enjoyed the baby Jesus out of this show! If I start nitpicking I'm pretty sure I'd lower the score... But I don't want to!

So 10/10!

And at the end they show that Rika created a time loop where even Miyo gets a happy future.

PS: I'm taking Rena and Hanyuu home!
Nov 18, 2013 3:56 PM
Sep 2012
im taking furude rika!! Nippa!

this is my top 1 anime of all time
Dec 13, 2013 8:26 PM

Jun 2013
Finally a good ending! I'm a little confused with the adult Rika being in the past with the child Miyo though....

Dec 25, 2013 11:48 AM

Dec 2012
Everything wrapped up well. Karma was delivered and happiness ensued. Onto higurashi rei!
Jan 26, 2014 11:02 AM

Jul 2013
Overall, I enjoyed the 2nd season. Although the ending seemed somewhat forced, it made some sense since all club members, not just Rika, gained knowledge and experience, albeit slowly and not as much as her, from previous worlds. The theme of friendship is much more prevalent here than in the 1st season. However, I did not find that to be that much of a bother, although it took some horror out of the series. When I first finished both seasons, the second seemed better since it gave all the answers. In my humble opinion, however, the first season is just as good, if not better, since it retains that feeling of tension right up to the end, and beyond. (^.^)
“I didn't have much to say to anybody but kept to myself and my books. With my eyes closed, I would touch a familiar book and draw it's fragrance deep inside me. This was enough to make me happy.”
― Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

Jan 29, 2014 12:55 AM

Jan 2013
What a great ending. The entirety of the arc I was tense as hell thinking "holy shit, please don't let this be a dead end" and a few times I thought it was going to be happen, but it didn't.
Mar 18, 2014 2:36 PM

Dec 2013
Wow!
Never thought this series could have a Happy-End. The Horror/Psychological Genre was pretty new for me, but i think the reason for enjoying Higurashi that much was Mystery part.

10/10 loved watching it
Mar 21, 2014 2:21 PM

Oct 2008
A decent ending but with a lot of annoying convenient scenarios to push the story in the direction the creators wanted. The most recent and obvious one would be how they all found Tamako in the middle of the woods together and why they'd all get so close to her knowing she'd be insanely desperate at this point? A lot of things similar to that kept happening, just little unexplained convenient occurrences that keep saving the main cast or pushing the plot forward. Like Shion and her body guard being knocked out and playing unconscious, that sort of thing. Like why would they run into a gun fight like that while not telling the others to rush the fuck out of there and then somehow survive the gun fight and pretend to be unconscious to surprise the insurgents later? Shit like that really annoyed me. Also some of the way the traps were set up were really... chessy, goofy, convenient? Obviously I'm using too much logic but how do these children manage to make these traps from scratch and to use large logs in these elaborate things would require a lot of strength and to dig those pitfalls that deep and hide them so convincingly like they did would require a lot of labor and time. Those were smaller things and I know that it might seem silly to complain about them but they make the show a little too cheesy, by themselves not too bad but they just kept piling it on one after another. Bulletproof cars, okay sure I guess. Irie surviving and falling off a 30 ft cliff and conveniently having Shion and her body guard drive down that exact road within minutes, yeah, not so much. Really what the fuck was their plan anyways? Have this cop sit in a house that will inevitably be checked by armed guards eventually and then run out randomly whenever Irie is in danger? Sounds pretty silly to me. It only worked due to complete luck, one that Irie didn't get shot to death and they shot his tires and two that he survived the crash and fell off a high enough cliff that gave him time to be conveniently picked up by shion, how nice for him.

Overall the first season was much better to me, I dropped the second season for quite a while because I got really bored and tired of Takano, she's just such an unlikable character in her present tense form, her more innocent friendly child self is fine and it's understandable that she wouldn't be the greatest of people with her motivation and upbringing but still, she's so unlikable in every way I felt no concern for her at all. She could of easily not tried to kill an entire village and instead kept researching and going the more humane route but no she wants results quick while sacrificing her morality to do so. It's not excusable and her cartoony over the top evil persona just made it even worse.

I still enjoyed the show though, despite all it's flaws and it's dull art and animation. The story is interesting enough to keep me entertained but it could have been much better. The first season was mysterious and unpredictable while this one was slow and typical and felt like no real consequences existed during the final timeline. At first they did, but as soon as I saw the cop beat the shit out of like 5 guards who should be armed with guns and have them run away in their vans I knew that there was no stopping the illogical plot armor that these characters now had. Nothing was going to stop them and it killed any sort of thrill the show had going for it. 7/10 for me, not bad but not great.
PANDEMlCMar 21, 2014 2:27 PM
Mar 24, 2014 8:53 PM

Jan 2009
1. The last 4 episodes that focused on takano's downfall felt way too prolonged, especially the ending episode.

2. After the end credits, why/how did rika go back in time to save a young takano? what a confusing ending

3. what happened w/ adult rena & the decimated village from the 1st ep? Wasn't the whole story retold by rena & akasaka?

4. S1 > S2 by far. but i did like how most things got explained.

overall: 6/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 1, 2014 5:24 PM

Aug 2013
"After my thousand year journey i have discover a world free of losers" except Takano, fuck Takano, and for a second after the credits i thought Rika just killed younger Takano lol
MiMi3016Apr 1, 2014 5:28 PM
Yo
Apr 2, 2014 7:22 AM

Jun 2010
Glad to have watched this.. even though this anime (Kai) is 7 years old already.. Ok Lets continue to Rei
MyReminiscenceApr 2, 2014 7:26 AM
Apr 24, 2014 3:53 PM

Jun 2011
o.O What's up with the last part?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 24, 2007

141 by benisgu »»
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

protoman96 - Jul 5, 2007

166 by Vincentie »»
Mar 19, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.