Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 13, 2014 2:38 PM
Feb 2014
I have not read the manga for haruhi so I this is based entirely off of season 2 and the movie but

*SPOILERS*

The bugs in Nagato's programming, according to Kyon, were caused by her wanting to feel emotion and become more human and these bugs accrued over time. How come none of what she experienced in Disappearance manifested during the Endless Eight. I was super confused about this when watching Disappearance so i was wondering if this was explained anywhere or is it just that it took the 98.5 years between being first asked to handle something (bamboo leaf rhapsody) and December of 11th grade for Kyon for her to break down like that?
Feb 13, 2014 3:03 PM

Aug 2012
Well....
nevrendingshonen said:
It just that it took the 98.5 years between being first asked to handle something (bamboo leaf rhapsody) and December of 11th grade for Kyon for her to break down like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, during the endless eight, Yuki had already the bug, but she was fighting it by herself with some program. During the disappearance though, the bug was already too big to deal with it herself.
julyanFeb 13, 2014 3:06 PM
Feb 13, 2014 3:25 PM
Feb 2014
julyan04 said:
Well....
Yuki had already the bug, but she was fighting it by herself with some program. During the disappearance though, the bug was already too big to deal with it herself.

Was that the case? So it was just coincidence that she snapped four months after the eight rather than during the huge amount of time during the eight? In those four months it became too much? If she was developing the bugs during this time and pinning for more human emotions then why would she not snap due to something so emotionally devastating as experiencing a century alone?
Sorry for a bunch of these questions, but its been a few weeks since Ive seen the show and these questions are just coming up now as I'm thinking about it.
Feb 14, 2014 10:12 AM
Jun 2012
She very easily could have snapped and acted crazy during iterations of the Endless Eight. Considering nobody would remember, it may have happened several times, and each reset allowed her to regain some control over it.

Just a theory, though, there's nothing in the source material to suggest that happened.

-Arvis
Feb 14, 2014 11:05 PM

Aug 2012
nevrendingshonen said:
julyan04 said:
Well....
Yuki had already the bug, but she was fighting it by herself with some program. During the disappearance though, the bug was already too big to deal with it herself.

Was that the case? So it was just coincidence that she snapped four months after the eight rather than during the huge amount of time during the eight? In those four months it became too much? If she was developing the bugs during this time and pinning for more human emotions then why would she not snap due to something so emotionally devastating as experiencing a century alone?
Sorry for a bunch of these questions, but its been a few weeks since Ive seen the show and these questions are just coming up now as I'm thinking about it.

It's been years since I've read the novels so my memory about what happened is vague.

This is just a theory. I might read the novels again to confirm this:
Endless eight was not enough to snap Yuki's main program into doing stupid things. Years and years of iteration sure did stress her, but it was not enough.

What triggered her to snap was Kyon's strong desire to live a normal life in addition to her accumulated stress from the not-so-long ago endless eight. Yuki is so attached to Kyon (you might even say that she's in love, but she can't confirm this herself) that she wanted to fulfill Kyon's wish.

To further explain the bug that occurred to her, Nagato's "brain" is the Data Overmind or Data Integration Thought Entity.. During her stay on earth, Yuki acquired many things which the Data Overmind doesn't understand. The leading cause for the bug is Yuki's data regarding human behavior for the Data Overmind does not understand this.

Let's say that Nagato's brain is Google. Everytime she acquires or receives data, she confirms its integrity by searching it on Google. Human behaviors doesn't exist in Google's database so it'll just output a result of "data not found". This causes the bug. Not by much, but as time passes by, these errors within the Data Overmind keeps growing as she encounters more of these "non-existing" data. To counter this problem, Yuki relied on herself and ignored the Data Overmind's instructions which led to the Disappearance.

Trivia: during the Disappearance in Yuki's new world, Data Overmind didn't exist.
julyanFeb 14, 2014 11:11 PM
Feb 20, 2014 5:44 AM

Jul 2013
julyan04 said:
nevrendingshonen said:
julyan04 said:

Let's say that Nagato's brain is Google. Everytime she acquires or receives data, she confirms its integrity by searching it on Google. Human behaviors doesn't exist in Google's database so it'll just output a result of "data not found". This causes the bug.

Imagine googling "What is love?" and receiving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM everytime.
"I've always seen failure as a possibility, but never as an option."
vndb||Serumeito Twitter||Discord: Bunny of Wrath#3201

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.