Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Dice Killing Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2009 3:38 AM

Jun 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Well that's it for Saikoroshi-hen~ Off to Hirukowashi-hen!

KatsukiJun 12, 2009 3:46 AM
Jun 12, 2009 10:24 AM

Jun 2008
I can't find episode 4, can someone please post link?
Jun 12, 2009 1:02 PM

Oct 2007
Bern-chan is finally mentioned :D
Jun 12, 2009 2:35 PM

Feb 2008
Good episode, she woke up like nothing happend in that accident but that world was just a dream that Hanyuu was creating.
In the previews I saw they playing Mahjong and and the next OVA on DVD is going to release 21 august.
So long time.
BlackbirdJun 12, 2009 2:44 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jun 12, 2009 2:49 PM

Oct 2008
where can i get episode 4??? please tell me..!!
The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth./B.J.Rubin
Jun 13, 2009 6:22 AM
Mar 2009
Jun 13, 2009 6:25 AM

Jul 2008
Awwww, Frederika was mentioned ~ ♥ yeye ~
Overall this episode was pretty nice. Though I'm gonna re-watch this after the subs are out so I can understand every line 8------D

Jun 13, 2009 5:41 PM

May 2008
While this episode was pretty nice, it probably won't have the intended effect since episode 3 was so rushed. And why mentioning Bernkastel without any explanation at all? I cry because of DEEN...
Jun 15, 2009 9:29 PM

Mar 2009
Just watched the raw, got the gist of most of the stuff.
Seemed like a big fat anticlimax to me, but perhaps I'll understand more in detail of the large amount of dialogue once it's subbed.
Jun 17, 2009 5:35 PM

Dec 2008
I just watched the raw, can't wait for subs!
If anyone understood...What exactly did Rika say when referring to Bernkastel?
Jun 17, 2009 9:40 PM

Jun 2006
sarroush said:
I just watched the raw, can't wait for subs!
If anyone understood...What exactly did Rika say when referring to Bernkastel?

Only thing I comprehended was "Ima koso Bernkastel" xD Which I think it's like, "I'm now Bernkastel"
Jun 20, 2009 6:21 PM

Sep 2008
I've just watched it twice, so I could understand a good part of it.

About Bernkastel, she said: "Watashi wa majou nado mo yamette shimau wa nakute wa naranai. Ima koso Bernkastel no majou de wa nakute Furude Rika ni modore nakute wa."

With my dictionary's help and my little knowledge of Japanese, I THOUGHT I could translate it, but I couldn't ;-;. So I asked my friend and he said it would mean something like:
"I'm a witch who lost her powers / I'm a witch who cannot act [he's not sure wich of them because of that "shimau"]. The Witch Bernkastel cannot turn into Furude Rika anymore."

I think it means something more, but for now we may have a great idea of what she wanted to say ;) And now we can say "Come, Umineko no Naku Koro ni!", right?
Jun 21, 2009 9:13 AM

Dec 2008
Yuuh said:
I've just watched it twice, so I could understand a good part of it.

About Bernkastel, she said: "Watashi wa majou nado mo yamette shimau wa nakute wa naranai. Ima koso Bernkastel no majou de wa nakute Furude Rika ni modore nakute wa."

With my dictionary's help and my little knowledge of Japanese, I THOUGHT I could translate it, but I couldn't ;-;. So I asked my friend and he said it would mean something like:
"I'm a witch who lost her powers / I'm a witch who cannot act [he's not sure wich of them because of that "shimau"]. The Witch Bernkastel cannot turn into Furude Rika anymore."

I think it means something more, but for now we may have a great idea of what she wanted to say ;) And now we can say "Come, Umineko no Naku Koro ni!", right?

Thanks! =D And yep! Umineko! =D I'ma start watching it when it comes out!
Jun 21, 2009 5:14 PM

Jun 2008
well, i watched it in korean subs, and translated Rika said when she woke up,
I should stop being the witch Bernkastel and go back to being Furude Rika...
anywy i hope umineko follows the original game better than higurashi...
Jun 21, 2009 6:00 PM

Sep 2008
Sabato said:
well, i watched it in korean subs, and translated Rika said when she woke up,
I should stop being the witch Bernkastel and go back to being Furude Rika...
anywy i hope umineko follows the original game better than higurashi...

Looking at the sentence, it's also a translation, even though it wouldn't make sense for some motive IMO. Let's wait for another sub to come with its translation so we can see what it really means.

And yeah, so do I. Umineko must keep as it is.
Jun 24, 2009 10:15 AM

Jun 2009
Awesome episode, cant wait for subs.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei - Raw
Jun 26, 2009 9:07 PM

Sep 2008
but but but everyone was so happy *sniffle*
Why did that "dream" have to end.

"Bernkastel"?
HawthorneKittyJun 26, 2009 9:19 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2009 10:01 PM

Aug 2008
I liked this episode. I thought it was a really brave choice to go for an actionless, line-heavy episode after all the build up from episode 3. The witch comment was strange to me, but besides that, really awesome.
Jun 26, 2009 10:25 PM

Nov 2007
As a non-VN player, I like the end of this arc. I'm quite sure the sinless world was real and that Hanyuu just didn't want Rika to feel guilty for what happened.

I bet Rika finally mentioning "Bernkastel" out of the blue was a ploy to reel in Higurashi fans into Umineko starting in a couple of days.

Almost time to say, goodbye Hinamizawa, HELLO Rokkenjima! ;D
Jun 27, 2009 1:16 AM

Sep 2007
I thought dream-endings are forbidden? Isn't that already in the Constitution and the Geneva Conventions as well as in the Bible?

"Thou shalt not have an "it was all a dream" ending."

Oh well, at least it was good, it could have turned out a lot worse.
Jun 27, 2009 2:13 AM

Jul 2008
renas explaining was pretty cool. the compare between a flower and a human.
a really deep ep, you shall not wish for a world which doesnt exist, and be happy about the happiness you gain in this world, is what i understood.
so next one is finally the last ep, doesnt looks too serious for me so its probably a joke ep.

Jun 27, 2009 3:25 AM

Jan 2008
Ublah~ A dream? Oh well, I didn't like that world anyways D;
Jun 27, 2009 7:22 AM

Oct 2008
The Episode was full of dialogues XD But I love the Ending. The Preview is .. strange o_o Aren't there some "Mad Rena" eyes?
Jun 27, 2009 8:45 AM

Dec 2008
Spade said:
I thought dream-endings are forbidden? Isn't that already in the Constitution and the Geneva Conventions as well as in the Bible?

"Thou shalt not have an "it was all a dream" ending."

Oh well, at least it was good, it could have turned out a lot worse.

But it technically was a dream since Hanyuu herself said that she created that dream-world for Rika
Jun 27, 2009 10:14 AM

Jul 2008
lol i dont mind the "Dream Ending" it was nice, i loved the dialogue. I love Higurashi Day Break the PSP game! lol its kinda awesome that they're making an episode about it! woot, can't wait to watch it..

Though..i feel like this is the end for Higurashi, i'm going to miss it T.T
Jun 27, 2009 10:17 AM

Apr 2009
it wasn't a dream, tho.

hanyuu just seemed to tell her that to reassure her.
tentacle_raepJun 27, 2009 10:20 AM
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
Jun 27, 2009 12:39 PM

Apr 2009
I thought it was great! :)
It makes me sad though as you can feel is nearly ending.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Jun 27, 2009 12:58 PM

Sep 2007
tentacle_raep said:
it wasn't a dream, tho.

Rewatch the last part, please. Hanyuu explained it in detail and it was a dream.
Jun 27, 2009 1:03 PM

Jan 2007
Dream ending? I feel like I was lied to. *sob*

It was nice to see Ouka (and a Bernkastel reference) though. (:

Jun 27, 2009 2:36 PM

May 2009
Ehm.. Talk about anticlimatic episode. These OVA episodes have been a real disappoint to me and have done nothing but bore me.

I don't know, maybe it's because I haven't read the manga or played the VN or whatever.
Jun 27, 2009 3:32 PM

Jan 2009
Bah, disappointing episode. I expected a lot of blood. But no, I didn't get even tiny bit.

Anyway, this Rei OVA doesn't live up to all hype that original series earned. But still I'm being a Higurashi tard and will give to this OVA 8/10. Next episode is just random, so I'm rating from early.

Lol, I'm already planning to rewatch Higurashi two seasons.
Jun 27, 2009 5:57 PM

Jun 2007
Well, Rika did admit she is the "Witch of Bernkastel"

Sonja said:
Awwww, Frederika was mentioned ~ ♥ yeye ~
Overall this episode was pretty nice. Though I'm gonna re-watch this after the subs are out so I can understand every line 8------D
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Jun 27, 2009 6:43 PM

Jan 2008
I'm a bit confused xD was it really a dream? Or was it a dream because Rika choose her original world, and since she's human and can't imagine both worlds the other one was a dream? o.0 did that make sense.. that's what I got from it xD..
Jun 27, 2009 9:03 PM

Jul 2008
For a "it was all a dream" ending, this episode was pretty good, and

;lajkdfl;sd Bernkastel! Good job in getting me psyched again for Umineko in a few days.
Jun 27, 2009 11:43 PM

Sep 2008
wow that was fast, but i think it was good
just one more to go
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jun 28, 2009 1:52 AM

Dec 2007
AntiDentite said:
Some of you guys are really misunderstanding the ending.

The whole dream thing was Hanyuu's way of dismissing Rika's guilt, and telling her to live as a human, and to stop concerning herself with the alternate worlds.

It was as much a dream as any of the other worlds we've seen.

So all the other worlds were just Hanyuu punishing Rika as well? Cause sheesh, for there to be 100 years of punishment, I just gotta wonder what Rika did to deserve that, other than getting sliced and diced by Takano a billion times.

Dallas ending was meh. How can it be a Higurashi arc if nobody dies?
Jun 28, 2009 4:52 AM

Apr 2009
Spade said:
tentacle_raep said:
it wasn't a dream, tho.

Rewatch the last part, please. Hanyuu explained it in detail and it was a dream.
I did.

Unless the fansubbers screwed it up, it didn't seem to be that way.
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
Jun 28, 2009 10:00 AM

Aug 2008
It's a dream because as a human she can't properly conceive two separate realities. That was the whole reason behind Hanyu's dismissal, Rena's flower metaphor, and Rika's closing of the episode.

They were very explicit in getting that point across since they spent the whole half of the episode discussing it. Fansubbers didn't screw it up. I think they did a good job.
Jun 28, 2009 1:44 PM

Sep 2008
Ah, one more episode left. Mahjong?
Jun 28, 2009 3:19 PM

Dec 2007
noteDhero said:
It's a dream because as a human she can't properly conceive two separate realities. That was the whole reason behind Hanyu's dismissal, Rena's flower metaphor, and Rika's closing of the episode.

They were very explicit in getting that point across since they spent the whole half of the episode discussing it. Fansubbers didn't screw it up. I think they did a good job.

That point was all fine and well until Hanyuu went and ruined it by saying that she fabricated that world as punishment for Rika.

Jun 28, 2009 3:27 PM

Aug 2008
Ahh, I just remembered that part. Now I'm fuzzy as to what happened, but wasn't Rika still harping on trying to wrap her mind around it all? I assumed that Hanyuu was saying this to try to ease her mind, take the blame away from Rika, and place it on herself. Something more concrete that Rika can understand.

Either way, I do think that that world was a punishment for Rika (who carelessly threw her life away in the second episode) to get her to understand the gravity of her life and realize how hard she had worked to get to that point.
Jun 28, 2009 6:21 PM

Apr 2008
I really didn't enjoy this episode. Higurashi doesn't have to go the buckets of blood route for me to be happy, but an episode of almost pure exposition is just poor writing, especially as a finale. These feelings and meanings to the worlds should have become apparent from Rika's experience, not just been talked into neat little packages by Hanyuu and Rena's respective speeches. Show don't tell, you know?

Hanyuu's past and the sudden Bernkastel mention are almost interesting, but they're just too isolated. They have almost no meaning to someone like me who's stuck to the anime, and clearly aren't going to receive any further development this season. Seems like a rather artless appeal to the fans of the outside material, but that's probably me being cynical.

Next episode looks rather fun, at least. I'd look forward to it, but I'm probably better off forgetting about it for now with the wait as long as it is.
Jun 28, 2009 9:38 PM
Mar 2009
I like this episode because of the point they were trying to make even if "it was a dream". Rika has to stop looking at different realities as a god and only look at one as a human as Rena mentioned. The Bernkastel reference may raise a few eyebrows to anime only fans, but at the same time like someone mentioned earlier, give them anticipation for Umineko.

I know some Higurashi fans only like Higurashi because of the psycho horror but that's only in the first season, real Higurashi is the one that gives you a bunch of information and up to you to decide what's really going on, that's what I like about Higurashi the most.
Jun 28, 2009 10:26 PM

Dec 2007
But Rika had already been world-hopping for 100 fricking years.

She should perfectly understand the disconnect between the worlds.

It made no sense.
Jun 28, 2009 10:40 PM

Aug 2008
She never needed to understand the disconnect because to her it was one shitty world to the next. She clearly never considered her place in one world to another because it was all the same to her. You forget just how taken aback she was with all of the differences in that world. There were always a few variables, but much of the plot points were the same. So of course when she is confronted with the choice between a seemingly perfect world from the get go and a world that took hard work to get to a good place, she needed to consider (for the first time) her and Hanyuu's place in the whole thing.
noteDheroJun 28, 2009 10:45 PM
Jun 28, 2009 10:56 PM

Dec 2007
I can absolutely understand her choice regarding her own feelings.

But don't you remember when she was back with Keiichi & gang, and she explained the "perfect" world, she behaved like she had wronged them by robbing them of the sinless life they had and re-burdened them once more, which is just retarded, since the Hinamizawa and its people in the perfect world is completely isolated from that of the world where Rika and gang fought so hard to attain.

And that whole feeling of Rika's regret is something I just can't comprehend.
Jun 29, 2009 1:58 AM
Jul 2008
Can anyone explained about the name "witch of Bernkastel", please? Since I never play VN and so I kind of lost here. I dont get why Rika mentioned this name.
Jun 29, 2009 5:19 AM
Jun 2009
Few things You may like to think about.
Remember when she woke up? Well, she thought that she did killed her mother. What does that mean? Whether she actually did it or not is irrelevant, but what's important is the fact that she considered her choice to be that way. Why did she willingly choose an imperfect world? The answer is simple, isn't it? And I don't blame her. After all, she's only a human.

Also, Hanyuu seemed a bit reluctant when answering if it was a dream or not... maybe it's true that her explanation was just a white lie to let off Rika's guilt? Even if it's not, along with above interpretation, it makes Furude Rika much more interesting character than I've ever expected.

Overall, I loved it just as much as I loved the whole series.
Jun 29, 2009 7:06 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm... I dunno why, but I had a feeling that Hanyuu's daughter may be Bernkastel. Haven't played Umineko, so I don't know very much about her.

I really liked this episode. Found it very meaningful, and Rika learned a lot.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 29, 2009 5:40 PM

Jun 2008
Ohh Higurashi I love youuuu <3

This was nice. Rena had some deep words, Rika and the whole world choosing was amazing. I don't mind the lack of blood although that would've been the Higurashi I came to love and fear, but overall I've enjoyed this OVA and I can't wait for the next silly one it seems.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Gar_Logan - Aug 19, 2009

245 by KingOfMAL »»
Mar 19, 11:40 AM

» Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei [Visual Novel Discussion]

waalex11 - Apr 14, 2023

1 by Ricedumpismyname »»
Apr 15, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

phinix_down - Feb 14, 2009

190 by --bee-- »»
Jan 2, 2023 1:21 PM

» am i the only person disgusted by all this 'loli' shit?

AiyanaMiyuki - Dec 25, 2021

6 by removed-user »»
Nov 6, 2022 10:37 PM

» So... Miyo Takano is perfectly okay now???

Y-Stylzz - Sep 22, 2018

10 by _Adrian02_ »»
Sep 27, 2022 5:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.