Forum Settings
Forums

Urasawa Naoki Designs the Characters of MAD HOUSE's New Movie Tibetan Dog

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Jun 11, 2009 9:12 PM

At Festival du Film d'Animation du Annecy, MAD HOUSE Studio announced a new anime movie "Tibetan Dog" based on a Chinese best seller novel. The project was briefly mentioned in the Investors Relations last year but no detail had been given.

Poster of Tibetan Dog

It's a joint work of MAD HOUSE and China Film Group Corporation. Chinese staff will be involved in the in-between animation and part of CGI animation.

Staff
Director: Kojima Masayuki ("Monster", "Master Keaton")
Original Character Design: Urasawa Naoki
Character Design: Fujita Shigeru ("Monster")

The movie depicts the nature of Tibetan dogs and the beautiful scenery of Tibet. They plan to premiere the movie in or after 2010.

Source: Anime!Anime!
Modified by dtshyk, Jun 11, 2009 9:17 PM

Jun 11, 2009 9:40 PM

Are you sure Urasawa did the original character designs? ANN says nothing about him at all...
I'm a big Urasawa fan... guess I might have to check this out if it is so.

Jun 11, 2009 10:11 PM

Japanese > Chinese

Just putting it out there so other people don't have to. :p
Hello!

Jun 11, 2009 10:27 PM

xScar said:
Are you sure Urasawa did the original character designs? ANN says nothing about him at all...
I'm a big Urasawa fan... guess I might have to check this out if it is so.

Don't fully trust ANN. As a native Japanese, I don't think their Japanese skill is very good.
Anime!Anime! said:

なかでも注目されたのは、キャラクター原案に大物マンガ家浦沢直樹さんが参加することである。
It drew attention that "Big name" mangaka Urasawa Naoki is in charge of the original character design.

Jun 11, 2009 10:30 PM

cool sounds great i read the novel a while back i think x.X sounds familiar so probably have lol

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already

Jun 11, 2009 10:39 PM

Lol, "Tibetan Dog" and "Chinese best seller," how contradictory.

It'd be nice if the poster were in a higher res. :-\

Jun 12, 2009 12:13 AM

Fuck yea?

Jun 12, 2009 12:57 AM

Hell yeah, the fact that the director of Monster is involved, AND that the character designs will be similar to Monster, is encouraging enough for me.

Jun 12, 2009 1:16 AM
Really looking forward to this.

Jun 12, 2009 1:43 AM

It sounds interesting... <.< thought the poster doesnt help much

Jun 12, 2009 1:48 AM

Oh wow, super small image of poster. >_<

Sounds incredibly promising, though. :D

Jun 12, 2009 3:38 AM

BigSimo said:
that the character designs will be similar to Monster.

Character designs will be similar to.... the character designs of Urasawa Naoki.

O gods, the overratedness of Monster is really frustrating.

Urasawa wrote a lot of other, better than Monster, titles.

Jun 12, 2009 4:07 AM

Fai said:
BigSimo said:

Character designs will be similar to.... the character designs of Urasawa Naoki.

20th Century Boys immediately comes to my mind, even though some people might disagree with me.

I will definitely watch this. Is the novel translated to English? If so, I might read that one first.

Jun 12, 2009 8:09 AM

ganbatte Urasawa.
at least we may expect Chinese that will actually look like Chinese.
but I'm not sure that a serial director is the best choice for the movie. but they should be a great team with Urasawa after two joint projects.

Jun 12, 2009 2:16 PM

Cool news, I will probably watch this. Hopefully the dog doesn't die at the end, I absolutely hate movies like this. :roll:

Fai said:

The fact that one of the best mangaka ever created other excellent series does not make one of them overrated, does it? I mean, they are all equally great, Monster is simply the most known (thanks to anime/manga being released in US in entirety) and backlash is pretty much unevitable but seeing anyone call it 'overrated' still boggles my mind. ;p

Jun 12, 2009 4:07 PM
That is one awesome picture of a poster.

Jun 14, 2009 7:13 AM

Do Want
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori

Jul 1, 2009 2:32 AM

superflat said:
Fai said:

The fact that one of the best mangaka ever created other excellent series does not make one of them overrated, does it? I mean, they are all equally great, Monster is simply the most known (thanks to anime/manga being released in US in entirety) and backlash is pretty much unevitable but seeing anyone call it 'overrated' still boggles my mind. ;p

I watched the beginning of the anime when it came out in Japan (well, when we got it subtitled...). If it weren't for Monster, I wouldn't have been introduced to his many other amazing works.

It's hardly overrated since most people still don't know what it is. Hell, I don't know anyone else who has read it all and tons of my friends read manga =_=

Oct 17, 2009 8:24 PM

Fai said:
BigSimo said:

I think you mean to say that Monster is overesteemed by the small fandom that has heard of it - Monster is by far underrated, and is only beginning to gain prominence because of the American broadcast. Either way, I disagree with you; 20th Century Boys might be a better work, but I think Monster deals with more important concepts, and while Pluto is amazing, Monster beats is as a longer, more comprehensive, and original work. Surely, you're not suggesting that Yawara and Happy are better than Monster?

Oct 19, 2009 7:34 PM

dtshyk said:
At Festival du Film d'Animation du Annecy

It's actually d'Annecy. Sorry if it looks picky, but it's like saying "a apple" or "an car" in english. Sounds very weird :D

Cool news. I haven't read/seen anything by Naoki, but I like Mad House, so I'm wishing to know more.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.