Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2009 2:06 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my God, what an awesome first episode. I didnt stop laughing the entire time. I felt like I watched an entire movie crammed into twenty minutes, what breakneck pace!

Goddamn 90's anime rocks so hard, the animation, the music, the characters, just that infectious attitude running through it.
KinetaNov 23, 2012 9:09 AM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 9, 2009 2:20 PM

Oct 2008
Episode was definitely very funny; 'Pa-Pa-PANITES!", good times. I'm on episode 13 right now and let me tell you that it only gets better. The show does funny well and it does serious well. So far, I can tell why it was considered the greatest anime of all time at one point. Of course that was said in '97 after it finished airing and one year before a little anime called Cowboy Bebop.

Beatnik said:
Goddamn 90's anime rocks so hard, the animation, the music, the characters, just that infectious attitude running through it.

I wish more people of my generation would realize this. I have nothing against anime of today, but the 90's popped classic after classic every year and I have yet to see a 90's show I didn't just enjoy the hell out of.
Jun 9, 2009 2:40 PM

Jan 2008
A random thing I noticed was the scene where Yurika's dad accidentally storms into her room while she's changing. You just know that this decade's cynical anime would literally show her naked, but this show doesnt go the obvious route and relies on a more confident type of humour. I mean we can see the expression on his face and the dialogue in the scene afterwards, that's whats funny, the situation not the nudity itself.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 24, 2010 5:25 PM

Oct 2009
yaeh i thought it was pretty funny too and so far this>evangelion tv series
lol especially at the part where akito runs away i was expecting something that shinji would do but akito makes it sooo funny lol :) speaking of shinji akito and shinji both have the same voice actor well in the eng dub which is pretty good
Nov 8, 2010 10:02 AM

Nov 2009
It looks like this is going to be a very crazy series. And first episode reminds me of the series Irresponsible Captain Tylor which i liked very much. Nice...
Jan 18, 2011 12:27 PM

Nov 2010
the people who created this have adhd >. >
You are null and void!
Nov 7, 2011 8:20 PM

Apr 2011
Never thought I'd be hearing an otaku be thankful they couldn't see a pretty girl naked ... this site has some weird attitudes about fanservice, anyhoo.

Anyways, this really reminds me of a combination of Evangelion and Macross. Macross because of the giant spaceship, Eva because of the whiny hero and because they used Shinji's VA as the main hero (in the dub anyway). I wanna catch the original VAs sometime, some of the girls in particular sound bored as hell with this gig. This was back when the dubbing companies just worried about whether the VA would say the lines, not whether they had an ounce of inflection,
Nov 13, 2011 2:40 PM

Sep 2011
sirrnifty said:
the people who created this have adhd >. >
yah thats why this show is awesome,

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 29, 2013 2:39 PM

Nov 2011
Way more comedy than I had thought but not too shabby I suppose. I'm not fond of the mc yet. I love the style of this show though!
Nov 29, 2013 2:44 PM
Mar 2013
I am filled with joy that so many people are at least giving this anime a shot. And I must admit the nudity scene with Yurika, her dad and Akito was hilarious.
Jul 1, 2014 11:08 PM

Aug 2012
Wow! That was a dense episode... I have to say that after having that many new characters thrown at me at once they still stood apart from each other. The animation has also aged very well I can't believe this series is nearly 20 years old
Jul 2, 2014 12:31 AM

Apr 2014
I first started watching this anime because I played Super robot Wars R...(is an Old game)...back in 2005...and 2013 I play a super robot Wars J...with English translation...I understand more about the show in the game...And like the Mecha of this anime...and character...so yeah...I would go back and watched it now...but I was so surprise to find there was a HD Remastered Series of this...YEAH~!
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Mar 4, 2015 7:08 AM

Nov 2011
#bringbackthe90s
May 27, 2015 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
LOL. I could not stop laughing xD. The opening is very cool!.
Jul 21, 2015 12:43 AM

Feb 2008
Daigoji Gai was fun.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 27, 2018 6:04 PM

Feb 2013
They should go back to making anime on film. This looks better than most modern anime in HD.

Decent action.
Sep 26, 2018 3:34 AM
Sep 2018
This series is funny I love yurika character hahahaha
Jun 16, 2019 12:15 PM

Dec 2015
Started watching for the Mecha deconstruction, stayed for the comedy. XD
Hope it stays amazing like this.
Jul 15, 2019 12:08 AM

Jul 2009
Finally started this! I always wanted to watch this years ago due to Houko Kuwashima's first major roles :)

It's nice to experience more Cell Animation :D

Watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, Outlaw Star and Nadesico. Man! These are fine works!!

I also love the comedy and the references to Super Robot genre :)

Can't wait for the next one!!
Jun 4, 2020 3:24 PM

Jul 2015
Oh man this is definitely some old gem anime, love how smooth it is mostly comedic with a bit of seriousness in it, I also like how the twist on how weird every teammember is instead of the mainstream types

Curious to see how Akito, the cook, will save the universe with his new crew.

Sep 18, 2021 8:32 AM

Dec 2018
Wow what a blast. So much awesomeness.

Ok first thing first, soundtracks are nice and animation, oh man the animation was stunning. Very cool action.

Also definitely could be seen as a response to Evangelion. Then again I wouldn't really take it seriously, despite sharing obvious parallels.
. . .
Dec 15, 2021 6:45 PM

Jul 2016
Interesting first episode to say the least.. It was way too frenetic and my thoughts were "Just slow down already so I can enjoy this!" Hopefully the next several episodes click for me.
Mar 6, 2022 10:16 AM

Nov 2017
A very solid first episode, I'd say.

So like, I remember watching this some years back and the way I remember describing it to people was that it starts off slow, but when it gets going, it gets going. But now that I watched the first episode again, it doesn't really come off that way right now! I also recall this anime being self-aware which was part of its charm.

The pacing was fast as heck! The dialogue is on point! The characters complement each other (especially Yurika). It has that 90's anime art style so if you like cel animation like I do, the art/animation alone is gonna be a treat for the eyes!

Speaking of characters, I think Yurika was my favourite. My gosh, what a babe!~ <3 You can get lost staring in those big, pretty eyes. Yeah, she's ditzy, but she's still a competent captain/leader.

Akito's story is a sad one and this episode was able to pique my curiosity revolving around his parents' deaths and his desire to just be a cook even though it's obvious he's got skill in fighting in a mecha.

Also, I'm so friggin' happy this got a Blu-Ray release! I was gonna buy the DVD, but obviously with Blu-Ray, there's no need!

Last thing I want to type is that the OP song still slaps!
Jun 28, 2022 6:20 PM
Jun 2020
What a killer show ... and yes, 'slaps' is a perfect description of the OP
Feb 22, 2023 7:45 PM

Nov 2021
Kick-ass first episode. Great animation from XEBEC!
Feb 22, 2023 7:51 PM

Nov 2021
Kid_at_Hart said:
Episode was definitely very funny; 'Pa-Pa-PANITES!", good times. I'm on episode 13 right now and let me tell you that it only gets better. The show does funny well and it does serious well. So far, I can tell why it was considered the greatest anime of all time at one point. Of course that was said in '97 after it finished airing and one year before a little anime called Cowboy Bebop.

Beatnik said:

I wish more people of my generation would realize this. I have nothing against anime of today, but the 90's popped classic after classic every year and I have yet to see a 90's show I didn't just enjoy the hell out of.

Nicely put! The 2000s was a great decade for nostalgia too. Just like the 90s. Gotta love that classic feel. :D
Feb 22, 2023 7:57 PM

Nov 2021
Aaaand I love it!!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 10 Discussion

cantius - Mar 26, 2009

12 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 10, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 9 Discussion

gohdan - Aug 25, 2011

14 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 8, 2:27 PM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 26 Discussion

Beatnik - Jun 13, 2009

35 by Yusaku59ma »»
Dec 8, 2023 3:03 AM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 16 Discussion

cantius - Apr 1, 2009

10 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Sep 6, 2023 11:32 PM

Poll: » Kidou Senkan Nadesico Episode 4 Discussion

Ryushi - Aug 2, 2008

19 by Sasutaschi »»
May 22, 2023 5:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.