Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 10, 2009 10:44 AM

Apr 2009
Thanks for spoiling FFVII for me. I mean, I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon, but still... :/
Jun 10, 2009 11:42 AM
Sep 2008
magelet said:
Thanks for spoiling FFVII for me. I mean, I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon, but still... :/

Oh come on! If you haven't played it YET, you won't. It's just like all those books that you get 3/4's of the way through, and say "i need a break before i can handle the ending", so you put it down, and it never gets picked back up.
Jun 10, 2009 11:56 AM

Aug 2007
On topic, please?

I knew that Hughes was going to die, even if I didn't complete the first season and didn't see that part, but I didn't think it was executed that well. I mean, I disliked the dead of Nina more... Still, Hughes is a way bigger loss. So mean that he turned into his wife! I hope Ed or Roy finished him off... That bastard. I really liked the ''It's already raining'' line of Roy. Riza blew the mood, though, which gave it less impact than it should have. Or that's at least what I think of it.

I hope this is the last time we saw the end of Hughes.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jun 10, 2009 6:36 PM
Jun 10, 2009 7:56 PM

Jan 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!! T_T

This really is a bummer...-_- Hate to see him die 3 times...(1st anime, manga, and this series)
Jun 11, 2009 8:40 AM

Jul 2008
adfndklf
How can they kill Hughes off [which was inevitable], and still manage to make it NOT SAD?
I cried for hours in the first series, but...I hardly felt anything this time. It was pulled off rather badly, and the whole thing was rushed. Roy crying and the funeral were the only things that got to me this time.
This show as a whole is coming off as mediocre to me, they should take their time with this. Hughes died in what, episode 25 of the first season? And Brotherhood's only on 10...?
Jun 11, 2009 9:03 AM
Oct 2008
Embah said:
adfndklf
How can they kill Hughes off [which was inevitable], and still manage to make it NOT SAD?
I cried for hours in the first series, but...I hardly felt anything this time. It was pulled off rather badly, and the whole thing was rushed. Roy crying and the funeral were the only things that got to me this time.
This show as a whole is coming off as mediocre to me, they should take their time with this. Hughes died in what, episode 25 of the first season? And Brotherhood's only on 10...?

Some of the episodes in the first FMA where filler episodes and some chapters that where including in the first series where extended with extra material that pertained to that plot and not this one. That's why it was at 25 episodes while Brotherhood is only at 10.

I have to disagree though on it not being sad. It wasn't as sad as the first series and part of that could be due to knowing it was going to happen and the fact that there was less time spent on Hughes this time around where in the first series Hughes popped up a little bit more.
Jun 11, 2009 9:03 AM

Apr 2009
Fai said:
And yes there might be people who have not seen FMA1 (despite all of its overrated-ness) or manga. Amazing, right?

I haven't. I wanted to, but by the time I've gotten around to doing this, they started remaking the series, so I'm watching Brotherhood instead. I asked my friends if I'm missing out on much, but they said that it differs greatly from the manga and it's not a good thing. I might watch it later though,to compare...
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 11, 2009 9:04 AM

May 2009
Capellabun said:

I don't mean to be rude or anything but your post comes off as very nitpicky. Some of your points are minor details that I feel didn't make this episode less than it could be.

The rest of them are pretty debatable like how Hughes died. Honestly, I think Hughes's line to Envy was fine and that his comment on his broken promise was good as well. I think that showed how loyal and caring his is. I don't think showing flash backs of his friends and family would have really done much....honestly I find flashbacks like that to be a little too much during certain situations.

I know I am being nitpicky and I'm honestly sorry for that. But as everyone's saying this episode didn't have as much impact as the one in FMA1 or rather as much as it could be and sometimes it's the little things that really make the difference. So, I was basically wondering if those things would have changed the episode rating for me or not :)

@Fai, the reason why I found the first scene ridiculous(maybe this is a strong word to use here) is because the lanky soldier shown running with the rifle (from a sideway view) kinda made me feel like he was going to do a pole vault or something. :D But that's just the very first scene. Also, I had thought Rush Valley was a filler :P
SaptaJun 11, 2009 9:09 AM
Jun 11, 2009 12:21 PM
Jun 2008
Hughes... =(

I will transmutate him!
Jun 11, 2009 12:51 PM

Jun 2009
with a plot twist like this, it's practically impossible to separate knowing the spoliers from not knowing it... so those of us watching the first series cannot really judge if the death scene was handled as well as it could have. Much of the impact from his death comes from the suddenness of it.

Lesson: we need input from those who haven't watched the first series.
Jun 11, 2009 7:31 PM

Dec 2008
fisher_88 said:
Lesson: we need input from those who haven't watched the first series.
I definitely agree! I'm really interested in the people who is watching this without prior knowledge in the manga and the first FMA. I think they should have a sort of code or something...like put a bolded special code word at the beginning of their post. I'm sick of hearing comparisons (not like I don't do them :P) and which is better blah blah - I want to hear some fresh opinions :D. That's it, that's the special code word....fresh!! XD

Anyone with me on this idea? XD
Jun 11, 2009 8:20 PM

Feb 2009
The scene where Roy says that it's raining is so touching!! Whether it's FMA1, the manga, or FMA:B, this scene moves me every time.

Best friends: Roy Mustang and Maes Hughes <3
Jun 11, 2009 11:53 PM

Jan 2009
Dang, that was a really hard ep to watch. The entire funeral scene sent chills down my spine.

Jun 12, 2009 1:06 AM

Sep 2006
One thing that no one seemed to have mentioned:

Maybe we don't feel as sad, partly is because it's been some time [years] since the original Full Metal anime, and older as we are, we're less emotionally vulnerable to the sad stories of anime?

Of course, I'm also upset at how they handled the part inside the phone booth. In the manga version, he'd cringed when he saw Gracia..
Jun 12, 2009 3:13 AM

Jan 2008
Hughes T.T
Jun 12, 2009 5:57 AM

May 2007
Shit, Hughes. Why!? D;
(I wish we could have seen more of his character, sigh).

Jun 12, 2009 8:02 AM

Aug 2008
i think it's because it's the second time for me to see him die, so i didn't cry as i cried at the first adaptation.
i really like him, i wished that he die more later in th story but.... sigh.,
Jun 12, 2009 9:26 AM

Jun 2008
sniffles, Hughes, sniffles!! I'll miss you!!!!!!!!! Actually if I hadn't watched the first season of FMA, I wouldn't be that attached to him. But anyways, watching him get shot is still so sad. What made me cried was when Alicia was asking her mum why are they burying papa. Sobs!! And God, Roy commenting about the rain *cries hysterically*

On the side note, angry Roy is a damn sexy Roy
Jun 12, 2009 10:48 AM
Mar 2009
Yeah, that was pretty sad, and who couldn't've got upset? who? Hope everything will be solved.
Jun 12, 2009 12:04 PM

Jun 2007
You can't blame the second series for not making Hughes' death as emotional this time around. If you want to blame anyone, blame the mangaka for not showing Hughes enough before his exit. There was a lot of filler in the first series, and that allowed for Hughes' death in episode 25 to be far more powerful.

Anyway. The episode was very good, just like the previous one. It's pleasing me that, aside from the odd diversion, the anime is now being faithful to the manga.

In this episode, the changes were...

-- The Ishbal scene at the start. I've read 11 volumes of the manga and the story still hasn't covered Ishbal yet. But, in all honesty, I found it odd in the manga for Mustang to say Hughes was meant to push him to the top when a scene covering that hadn't been shown - it worked out better this way.

-- There were also a few very minor additions to the phone booth scene. In the manga, Hughes never reached for the phone or said some cheesy as hell last few words. I didn't mind Hughes reaching for the phone and Envy prenenting him - that made Envy look even more evil - but the obvious didn't need to be pointed out by Hughes. Nothing major was added, though.

I'm really getting into the anime now, having read the manga and seeing that, after a poor start, the anime isn't adding a silly amount of filler or changing the order of events for no reason whatsoever. My rating will stay at 8/10 for the time being, mainly because of the first episode, but if the series keeps going how it has been in the last few episodes then I see no reason why my rating won't rise to 9/10 - the same score I'm currently giving the manga.
Jun 12, 2009 6:12 PM

Apr 2009
I cryed. And again at the funeral, and again when Roy did. Ahh, Hughes. Lol Winry. :)
Good episode.
Jun 13, 2009 11:10 AM
Nov 2007
It was pretty well done imo, i mean not everything has to be drawn out to be good. The birthday scene in the previous episode just made it better. Somehow seeing him less then in the 1th series made it better, he became more serious and human to me....
Jun 13, 2009 1:59 PM

Aug 2008
Oh mai. Such a touching episode. I shed some GAR tears when Elicia started shouting at the funeral. :(
Even Mustang.

Man, even though it's keeping with the fast pace it still felt so sad to see.

For the humour aspects to the episode, the Furher climbing out the window was sheer roffle.

I really can't wait to see them in Dublith with Izumi again. She was one of my favourite characters from the first season. :D
Jun 14, 2009 5:05 AM

Jan 2009
Good episode, especially the funeral...poor Elicia. I agree with Aionic, in the first season it was more dramatic, but there was more episodes before the Huges's death.
Jun 14, 2009 2:02 PM

Apr 2009
Meh..the episode was OK to me. Hughes's death never particularly affected me in either the manga or the anime, but I liked how the manga did it : quick, cold, meaningful, done. Didn't have time for second thoughts, and in this series, it bugged me how Hughes was thinking at the end. I mean, sure, he had reason with what he'd promised to Elicia earlier, but I preferred it in the manga where he was just dead. (I sound so heartless, lol) Other than that, his death scene was handled pretty well. And his death was actually meaningful..I loved how he found out *insert spoiler here*, and then Lust appeared. Nice.

And for the shaking hands thing with the Fuhrer, I didn't think he was sad, laughing, or anything. I thought he was getting angry with Elicia because she was crying out and disrupting the burial. *Shrug*
Jun 14, 2009 2:38 PM

Mar 2008
Can't wait till Izumi's arc starts *.*
Jun 14, 2009 8:08 PM

Mar 2009
Paradox055 said:
I really liked how FMA1 showed Hughes bad-ass side fighting Lust, so I felt it was a bit lacking in this episode. The rest of the episode was well done.
I just hope it doesn't take about 20 episodes for the Elric brothers to find out about Hughes death, like it did in FMA1. That was totally annoying.

This D|

Loved this episode, I feel the funeral especially was sadder this time around.
Jun 15, 2009 6:40 AM

May 2009
Possk said:

And for the shaking hands thing with the Fuhrer, I didn't think he was sad, laughing, or anything. I thought he was getting angry with Elicia because she was crying out and disrupting the burial. *Shrug*

LOL ^^
Jun 16, 2009 12:49 AM

Oct 2007
It makes me cry to watch this yet again.
Jun 16, 2009 7:59 PM

Jan 2009
HUGHES!!!!!! T_______T
Jun 18, 2009 6:58 PM

Feb 2009
Hugues was my favorite character, why, why, why it is way to soon for him to die!
Such a wonderful husband in father, I really good friend and a very funny character!
T_T
Jun 19, 2009 7:55 PM

Nov 2007
Welp, I know some people like Bradly serious, but I like him as a goober. It makes him a more enjoyable character, more human, and it also makes him way more calculating. If he's just serious, there's no other depth to him; he presents who he is. However, if he can be serious AND humorous, that's a sign of someone who knows exactly how to manipulate people, which is something only to be expected of the army's head.

The thing that I liked about Hughs's death in this one was how abruptly he turned to throw his knife at Envy and then got stopped cold in the face of Envy's transformation. In the last one, that was done too slowly, so it wasn't as shocking.

The thing I didn't like about this one was that Hughs wasn't shown ordering Schezka (or however book worm girl's name is spelled) out of the building. Not only did that reveal him as a more caring character, but it also showed him as more intelligent, as someone who knows already that something bad might happen the more he investigates the truth. Given that Bradley himself confirmed at the episode's start that corruption was prevalent in the military, Hughs's shock at something bad happening to him after he discovers the truth just made him seem...less smart than he was in the other series. And that's mainly what I did not like. (Although, I too found it annoying and a bit unrealistic that the secretary didn't do SOMETHING after seeing him bleeding so badly).
Jun 28, 2009 5:39 AM

Dec 2007
Hughes é_è
Jun 28, 2009 12:32 PM
Jun 2008
was prepared for this, so not that sad to me

also thought that the death of hughes was a bit rushed, there wasn't any tension.

the funeral part with Elysia was very well done... so still a great ep
Jun 29, 2009 12:48 AM

Nov 2007
Even though I was fully prepared to see Hughes die and through the whole episode I kept saying to myself "he`s gonna die he`s gonna die he`s gonna die" I still cried, obviously. ><"
Very nicely done, in my opinion.
Jun 29, 2009 10:41 AM

Jun 2008
I miss Hughes...

RtheO
Jul 5, 2009 5:18 AM

Feb 2009
The first really outstanding episode in the new series, IMO. It's at least as good as or better than the equivalent episode in the first series.

Jul 15, 2009 2:58 AM
Jun 2008
I believed they handled his death pretty well.
Roy + Elicia, however, always steal the show in the funeral.
Jul 16, 2009 4:09 AM

Feb 2008
For me, I think it was more well portrayed here than it was on the first make. I really hold off my tears there, until Elicia just shouted on why is Hughes buried, and how can he get to work if he's buried. DAMN! That was really sarcastic and contradicting that it really makes me cry. XD
Jul 16, 2009 4:30 AM

Apr 2009
Poor Hughes, he died so soon, it's so sad, like babykeiji, I really cried when Elicia shouted, I wonder what will happen to Ed, Ad and Win if they know this,
Jul 24, 2009 12:10 AM
May 2009
Damn, too soon! too soon! I didn't knew he would die this early!
sniff* but sniff* QQ sniff* ahhhhhh! too soon!
Yeah, I guess we didn't see much of him in Brotherhood but still,
I can't help but feel like he's been there much longer because of the other anime/manga.
Aug 27, 2009 5:08 AM

Jun 2008
Which episode of the original series
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Aug 27, 2009 9:05 AM

Apr 2009
sbyrstall said:

I'm pretty sure it was episode 25
Sep 15, 2009 11:51 AM

Aug 2007
Kexlizard said:
sbyrstall said:

I'm pretty sure it was episode 25

yep, it was. Jeez, this anime is moving fast.
Sep 22, 2009 9:46 AM

Jun 2008
It's not moving that fast. Maybe a chapter to a chapter and half per episode.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 3, 2009 3:13 PM

Feb 2009
Great episode, emotional, the funeral made me cry.

People are STUPID! Half the users on Episode 9 discussion ruined half of my enjoyment of this episode with stupid and indirect comments about "that moment" "that time" "gonna be so sad" etc, etc. Be considerate for those who are not familiar with the story. Totally gave up the fact that someone important and dear was gonna die, so I expected it, inspite of not seeing the name of the person written down.

And no I DON'T SEE FREAKING previews, I go to a episode discussion thread to discuss the freaking episode and not the super-sad-event-that-is-about-to-happen-and-is-going-to-kill-off-my-favorite-character type of absurd comments by inconsiderate people about the next episode.
Dec 8, 2009 1:39 AM

May 2008
cyruz said:
At this point, thanks to many of the posters from the last episode's topic for all the spoilers for this episode You're highly appreciated idiots.

Yeah seriously... I don't think I've seen that many spoilers in one post. Keep it down people.
Also, NO HUGHES. Definitely one of the coolest characters in the anime, I remember this scene from the original from 5 years ago when I watched it... damn I will never forget that. Great ep once again.
Dec 12, 2009 10:59 AM

May 2009
Hughes death was more touchy in the previous one, i guess
Mar 7, 2010 12:05 PM
Jan 2010
Hughes ;_;
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.