Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2009 11:52 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We get a bit more into Dan's head this episode, as well as get more fun time with Dan and Rouge together. So while this was a breather episode, it was still a lot of fun for me because I really like the characters.

I also really like the backgrounds. I hope that an artbook comes out for this series.
Jun 5, 2009 4:35 PM

Jul 2008
I like this episode, Dan keeps seeing his sister in his opponent that he end up not playing well^^ but yeah, to see Dan and Rouge together for some time is good :D
Jun 7, 2009 6:14 AM
Jun 7, 2009 7:15 AM

Aug 2008
I found the way Dan's trauma was handled rather stupid. Running around seeing tigers and horses? Maybe if it was introduced like that earlier and not just in the first 5 minutes of this ep.

Well anyway, at least the Dan x Rogue is coming along nicely!
Jun 7, 2009 9:30 AM

Jul 2008
Static said:
Yey Dan's Mindless running.

LOL XD
so turns out that Dan is ready to play for real now?
o wells looking forward to the next episode
Kvakond said:
I found the way Dan's trauma was handled rather stupid. Running around seeing tigers and horses? Maybe if it was introduced like that earlier and not just in the first 5 minutes of this ep.

Well anyway, at least the Dan x Rogue is coming along nicely!

ya i gatta i agree it confused me at first i was like wtf a tiger and horse?
like you said they should have introduced it earlier XD
Jun 7, 2009 11:36 AM

Aug 2008
So dumb. Kvakond said it already, but it's one of the more contrived things I've seen done in a show for a while. Besides, when has Dan really played well? He normally just bounces the basketball around and misses dunks. Now he can shoot a 3 pointer?
Jun 7, 2009 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
There aren't a lot of anime characters that piss me off, like, it takes a lot for them to annoy me to the point that it makes me angry, Dan's little sister is so damn annoying! I hate her selfish high and mighty attitude. Feeling sorry for herself always sitting at her computer. She just pisses me off!
Jun 7, 2009 3:31 PM

May 2008
Finally we get to see more of Coco,and Dan scores for the first time haha still loving this show cant wait for the next episode

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 7, 2009 3:33 PM
Jul 2008
Dan can at least score something this time, instead of missing because of his traumatized past. It was nice of Coco do what she did to help her brother recover from the past.
Go Dan x Rouge!
Jun 7, 2009 4:31 PM

Mar 2009
Good episode, looks like Dan might finally get over his demons!! Imo CoCo's a bitch, she acts like she's doing this for Dan, but she could atleast acknowledge him once in a while, it's b/c of that why Dan's so screwed up. Looks like we're instore for some official matches. And Dan's got hottie Rouge starting to fall for him, I hope he dosen't mess that up as well..Poor Dan XD!! Urahara Out!!
Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 7, 2009 6:14 PM

Apr 2008
seems like Dan got thrashed ... hahas ~ at least he scored once

Jun 7, 2009 9:44 PM

Aug 2008
...Slash is a guy?
Jun 7, 2009 11:07 PM

Feb 2008
Why the tigers and horses? Shadows resembling his sister or bigfoots would have been much more appropriated..
Jun 7, 2009 11:34 PM

Sep 2007
More Rouge is a good thing.
Jun 8, 2009 12:35 AM

Feb 2009
yeah i didn't get the whole tiger/horse idea also.

poor dan, he still sucks. At least he made a jumper lol.
Jun 8, 2009 4:28 AM
Nov 2007
Oh god at this show, but somehow I keep watching.
Jun 8, 2009 11:47 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Looks like he got a little more help.

Lots of Rouge screentime <3 .

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 8, 2009 11:48 AM

Feb 2008
I think it's better for Rouge to wear a helmet if Dan goes on like that.

cyruz said:
Lots of Rouge screentime <3 .

I demand moar Violette!
Jun 8, 2009 1:31 PM

Feb 2009
I don't know if this was intentional but Dan running around like an idiot was hilarious.

So Coco's back and it seems she has a major role in all this. I wonder what she really has in mind, and what's her relation with Slash ? Speaking of which, he looks like a younger version of that guy (same hair color) at the beginning of this episode, during the flash-back. My guess is he's a clone, they must have that kind of technology on the moon. That would explain the similarity in appearance and why he's so good as a rookie.

Seems like this show has some kind of plot after all. :D
Jun 8, 2009 2:37 PM
Nov 2008
Honestly, I think the show's been losing it's excitement since they left Rollingtown. I guess the matches have felt more like basketball, rather than the unique feeling that Basquash provided in earlier episodes.

There wasn't really a match in this ep, but I did enjoy the backstory. There's a lot there, and I'm curious to see where it's all going.

Dan's skill level increasingly bugs me. There's a difference between "still has a lot to learn" and "sucks ass". They make a huge deal out of him making an undefended 3 point shot. Just seems...unrealistic that someone who can't make a shot to save his life would be such a legend.
Jun 8, 2009 9:41 PM

Nov 2007
i enjoyed rouge this episode, but i, like others, did not like the whole animals part. what made it worse was there two of them. like his sister is two people haunting him or at least use an animal that made sense to her personality or something.
Jun 8, 2009 9:59 PM

Oct 2007
Personally, I find this anime really entertaining to watch, but some of the character personalities are very unconvincing to me. For Coco to go from a loving sister who used to be so upbeat and show so much love and companionship for her brother to become completed anti-social and cold towards her brother is just not convincing to me, especially when he is obviously always trying his best for her. I just don't see how that makes sense; her character's personality is totally out of wack.
Jun 8, 2009 11:29 PM

Sep 2008
The tiger and horse are likely there because the Japanese words for them are "Tora" and "Uma" which together make "Torauma" which sounds like the English word Trauma.

The joke was used in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, which is the only reason I understand it. :P
Jun 9, 2009 12:19 AM

Apr 2009
KJAZZ said:
The tiger and horse are likely there because the Japanese words for them are "Tora" and "Uma" which together make "Torauma" which sounds like the English word Trauma.

The joke was used in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, which is the only reason I understand it. :P

Well, that makes sense then.

I can't say I enjoyed this episode as much as the previous ones. I suppose it's more of a filler episode, but I really felt a decline in the art quality. The plot had good points and bad points (and after Kannagi the relationship between Dan and Rouge amuses me to no end), so it wasn't horrible. Still, it was difficult being entirely sympathetic to Dan because his pigheadedness is taken to the point of ridiculousness.
I also kinda think it would have made more sense if in fact he was able to make shots more often before Coco's accident, and then the trauma kept causing him to choke a little ever since then, though much more subconciously. Thus the breakthrough could take on a bit more significance; he's doing this as much for himself and the team as it is just atonement for feeling guilty, which has seemed to be his primary motivation thus far.
the_muteKiJun 9, 2009 12:22 AM
Oooh Miss Alicia
It's our own secret garden
Lesbians at war
Jun 9, 2009 7:38 AM

May 2009
The Rouge x Dan scenes continue to be great. Interesting how she just knows what to do to help Dan overcome his trauma. She's been an excellent addition to the show.

Agree that the portrayal of Dan's trauma (the animals and particularly how he literally tries to run away from facing the problem) was not handled well. Thanks to the earlier comments, I think I understand what they were trying to do. But in retrospect, they probably should have treated the situation more seriously rather than the cute/joking angle they took with it.

I'm glad Slash raised the possibility that Coco could play BFB even in her current condition since that's something I've been wondering myself for some time. Though it's still possible, Coco seemed at peace that her playing days are over and that helping her brother is really what she wants to do.
Jun 11, 2009 8:57 PM

Apr 2009
I hate her selfish high and mighty attitude. Feeling sorry for herself always sitting at her computer. She just pisses me off!

If not for the pronouns and the computer part, it would sound like you were talking about Dan. Dan is the one always feeling sorry for himself. Instead of getting over the accident and just playing (which is what CoCo wants him to do, which is why she is being so mean to this desperate, pathetic version of her brother that can't even dunk the freaking ball - this is the first time in the anime that Dan has scored a point in any kind of official match btw) he cries and cries about how its all his fault that his sister cant walk. He made her accident that permanently crippled her into the "wah wah let's cry about Dan's misofortune" story. I'd be pretty unhappy too.

Terrible episode btw. My ranking of Basquash is going down a point. I thought I was watching an anime about basketball, not Days of Our Lives.
Jun 15, 2009 4:31 AM

Apr 2009
Really great to see Dan kind of overcomes his wall. As Rouge says, he needs to stop and just see clearly for a change. Wonder how the Dan/Rouge relationship would proceed from this ep.

Now sure what Slash's relationship is with Coco.
Jun 15, 2009 11:18 PM

Feb 2009
dan knocks over a girl and makes the 3 point shot and everyone cheers? WTF? this episode was so fucking confusing
Jun 16, 2009 11:56 AM

Oct 2007
KJAZZ said:

This just shows that this is still a Japanese show and that it's normal that most non-japanese didn't get the 'Torauma' joke, and why should they, the show is obviously targeted to Japanese people.

I reckon most Japanese did find the joke reasonably funny, especially since they love jokes wich involve playing with words and silly puns...

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jun 18, 2009 1:31 AM

Jul 2008
its obvious rouge likes dan; also we learn that the incident where coco was disabled has left him scarred, but he seems to have gotten over it a little; and also coco has been writing a blog about dan it seems
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 18, 2009 5:33 AM
Jun 2009
poor Dan, He remember him always coco's accident when he smash... It's a good serie, and the idols fans is a good idea for the serie!

I totally love Rouge ^^
Hi!
Jun 20, 2009 3:23 PM

Dec 2007
Dan's trauma is somewhat strange because of tigers and other animals, and I hate how he runs into poor Rouge. I totally loved her, and she is awesome. The Dan/Rouge relationship is humorous to me because I know that relationship is impossible, who knows.
Jun 27, 2009 5:08 PM

Apr 2009
Weee for Rouge aka Idol Red ^^
We get to see another idoitic dan scene XDDDDD

Jul 3, 2009 3:25 PM

May 2007
Wow...Dan is such an annoying character. Can't he hold a normal conversation? I just want to smack the shit out of him.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to the episodes with the new director.
Sep 1, 2009 3:52 PM

May 2009
The artwork is still amazing, and still loving the background, but Dan's trama was very disapointing -.- I mean come on, a horse, a tiger and a basketball with a mouth chasing him ? And now he's running like a madman for no reason and crashes into a poll ? That's fucking ridiculous. -.-

And what's the big deal with the 3 points ? He can make the ball bounce everywhere and predict where it's gonna go and he can't even dunk ? -.-

Ah whatever, i'm forgiving all this with the animation and art <3
Jul 29, 2010 3:26 AM

Jul 2010
really liking this anime so far. picked it up out of pure boredom and am actually enjoying the episodes.

love how hotheaded dan can get. and i like the celebrity drama, lol.
Jun 19, 2013 9:39 PM

Nov 2011
3-52. Really? Man, Dan needs to think more and use his skills on the field rather than thinking about his past. Anyways, nice episode. Rogue sure is a strong girl.
Feb 24, 2017 10:33 PM

Feb 2015
Nice to see some more backstory and insight into Dan's perspective...altho when he was running and they had the tigers and horses that was...random lol. Reading the poster above who explained that in Japanese though made more sense so thank you.

Still feeling meh about the DanxRouge storyline - wish Miyuki wasn't getting friendzoned. Rouge is very generic pretty love interest girl. Not a huge fan of Coco either acting like a victim after her accident.

Jul 9, 2021 5:17 AM

Jul 2015
Dan sure is quite loveydovey with idol Rouge. Seems like Dan is facing his trauma and managed to score his first points (instead of the usual bouncing around).

May 29, 2023 4:28 AM

Dec 2022
Dan is highly regarded as a legend at basquash and other variants of basketball by the people in this series, but he hasn't displayed any competency at it. I think he's lost every single match against a named character thus far, with or without the mech. What is he so lauded for then? This episode even had him blindly running into walls like an idiot.

I don't think I can watch any more of this. The formula of introducing new players to show Dan up until he throws a ball at a building or window and "revolutionises" everything (until the very next episode, where it's promptly forgotten about again) stopped interesting me. The first few episodes had potential, but it hasn't done anything of substance with the premise or the characters. Maybe I'll try and force myself to watch the rest of it at some point, but I can't have high expectations anymore.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 13 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jun 25, 2009

37 by mahoazuma »»
Jul 26, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 11 Discussion

Quickfox - Jun 11, 2009

28 by mahoazuma »»
Jul 26, 2023 6:46 AM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lueser - Oct 1, 2009

63 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 16, 2023 7:42 PM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 25 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Sep 25, 2009

24 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 10, 2021 9:56 AM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 24 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Sep 18, 2009

33 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 10, 2021 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.