Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 7, 2009 11:04 AM

Apr 2009
minwonderland said:
It seems that only Reji is alive. Don't hope for a happy ending.

WHOAAH, that episode was AMAZING. But I hope that the next 16 episodes won't be only about revenge.

Well if Elen isn't alive for the remaining episodes they can't negate the fact that Reji "loved" her despite their depicted relationship.

That is unless they fast forward in time to where it doesn't matter that Elen ever really existed and we see Reji continuing on as an assassin. I can't see how the next episodes can't develop without the revenge part. For what reason would Reji have to continue on as an assassin if he was already prepared to leave everything behind to run away with Elen.
Jun 7, 2009 11:16 AM

May 2008
Omegaoveride said:
That is unless they fast forward in time to where it doesn't matter that Elen ever really existed and we see Reji continuing on as an assassin. I can't see how the next episodes can't develop without the revenge part. For what reason would Reji have to continue on as an assassin if he was already prepared to leave everything behind to run away with Elen.

You just answered your own question.

He was prepared to run away _with_ her. He said it himself that he can't go back to his family or his old life. His only options supposing Elen is gone are to continue being an assassin or to go off on his own.

However, the latter seems very unlikely. Keep in mind that he's also drastically injured, so, if he's going to survive, someone needs to take care of him over the short term, which really negates going off on his own. I'm pretty sure Sycthe isn't going to come pick him up, so that leaves Claudia, et al. which will certainly engender some sort of further rapport between them. (Of course, it's possible, though it seems unlikely at this stage, that someone completely random could find him.) Finally, realize that the organization is not really his enemy and, with Ein giving her life for Scythe, going after him would be a violation of her supposed last wishes. As well, it was only his intention to kill Scythe after Claudia told him it was the only way for Ein to be with him, which doesn't remain a very compelling reason for revenge after he ends up shooting her instead. So, not really revenge as much as either trying to atone or completely giving himself over to being a killer (as a form of escapism) are the much more sensible narrative choices.
chicanerousJun 7, 2009 11:24 AM
Jun 7, 2009 11:42 AM

Apr 2009
chicanerous said:
Omegaoveride said:

You just answered your own question.

He was prepared to run away _with_ her. He said it himself that he can't go back to his family or his old life. His only options supposing Elen is gone are to continue being an assassin or to go off on his own.

However, the latter seems very unlikely. Keep in mind that he's also drastically injured, so, if he's going to survive, someone needs to take care of him over the short term, which really negates going off on his own. I'm pretty sure Sycthe isn't going to come pick him up, so that leaves Claudia, et al. which will certainly engender some sort of further rapport between them. (Of course, it's possible, though it seems unlikely at this stage, that someone completely random could find him.) Finally, realize that the organization is not really his enemy and, with Ein giving her life for Scythe, going after him would be a violation of her supposed last wishes. As well, it was only his intention to kill Scythe after Claudia told him it was the only way for Ein to be with him, which doesn't remain a very compelling reason for revenge after he ends up shooting her instead. So, not really revenge as much as either trying to atone or completely giving himself over to being a killer (as a form of escapism) are the much more sensible narrative choices.

I'm really just waiting to see both of them still alive after everything that happened on the docks...
Jun 8, 2009 2:16 AM

Jan 2009
Nayrael said:
It was so lame! I didn't expect anything like that from this great show >_>" Really, wtf? Zwei doesn't shoot Scuythe instantly but stalks him like a zombie for some time resulting in death of both Ein and Zwei.

To this post and to many others: now that Zwei got his memories, he is a human again. He no longer kills just because he needs to do it, but he now got his free will back and people who kill of their own free will usually turn into psycho's. In other words, Zwei turned from a brainwashed assasin into a psycho killer.

And I can't say that this suprised me. Since I saw the ending in episode 1 where he shoot with a smile on his face, I knew that he would turn into a psycho sooner or later.

And now maybe they'll resurrect after both being shot in the heart?! I mean really... This was one of my favourite shows so far, but I really don't know what to think about it now... Let's see what happens next, though

We don't know if Reiji was shoot into the heart. We know that Ellen probably was, but for Reiji we can't know that.

Now, on my comments about her death: while she was shoot into heart, the ending (where Ellen shots Ein, which shows that she will turn against her former self, somethign she didn't do in these 10 episodes) and the fact that her death wasn't very dramatic (in anime, you can't be sure someone is dead unless their death is very dramatic), I am not 100% if she is dead.

Yes, I understand your points, and they seem pretty solid. Zwei was shot 3 times at the chest area, I think that would be enough for most? But I can't really comment on resurrecting matter, because I don't know what will happen in the next episode.

And I think you meant where Reiji shots Ein?
Jun 8, 2009 10:25 PM

Mar 2009
JadeMatrix said:

Of course Eren/Ein didn't die, and neither did Reiji/Zwei.

Well here are some ***MAJOR*** spoilers.

DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET SPOILED!

Jun 9, 2009 3:27 AM
Jan 2009
This episode would have been absolutely terrible if it weren't for the ending. I really lost the feel and the flow of action, but what I felt was missing was something more: the style that has kept me hooked for these last episodes.

Felt like a very boring shounen fight, which is a horrible thing for this series. Less stalking, talking and shouting at your enemy, more running and shooting. I felt that most of this episode really betrayed the action sequences that have preceded it. Here's hoping to a brighter future on that end.

Maybe though, the point of the episode wasn't the action, but the emotional buildup for the ending. At least, that's the only way I can forgive it. That ending scene was very effective though, I know that *I* was eating it up.

Three bullets in the chest at point blank and falling into the sea? Hello deus ex machina. I really don't mind though, as long as Zwei becomes a total rampaging badass.
Jun 9, 2009 3:05 PM

Oct 2008
4kicks said:

Also, Funimation epic fails for mistranslating a simple English name; Ein's new given name "Eren" should be "Elen" or "Ellen"...otherwise it'd sound like a dude's name "Aaron". So much for their professional subtitles as they claim. And no, I'm not supporter of Engrish...which makes it worse if it's English (western) people doing it.

Her name has been wrong in the first place. Ein is not a number, it's an indefinite article, like a and an in english. The number would have been Eins
Jun 9, 2009 5:59 PM

Aug 2008
Phantom is the best anime of this season.
But even being super human, like Ein that was behind Reiji, arrived Scythe before the shot?
But... was an excellent episode!!!
Jun 10, 2009 2:38 AM

Jan 2009
My question was how they would extend the story for 26 episodes, well, this episode answered... But he lives in light of the hunt Scythe, I don't know, I think this "end" could have been saved for the last episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2009 7:44 AM

Apr 2009
Lapan said:

Her name has been wrong in the first place. Ein is not a number, it's an indefinite article, like a and an in english. The number would have been Eins

I think the creators knew that but then decided against it. Einsu just doesn't feel as cool as Ein.
Jun 10, 2009 11:11 AM

May 2008
Cello said:
Phantom is the best anime of this season.
But even being super human, like Ein that was behind Reiji, arrived Scythe before the shot?
But... was an excellent episode!!!

WTF? This show is going to shit.. Bleh..
Things just don't make any sense.. they added supernatural shit? Reji doesn't instantly kill Scythe? Why?

Loads of people here think of crap reasons for justifying that.. But there's no fucking excuse? Whut .. oh he plays with his prey? Oh.. he became a psycho killer and doesn't just kill people like that anymore?

Bleh.. And I'm amazed about the fact that loads of people think it's been a great ep?
WTF's wrong with you people?

Anyway.. let's see how the story ends..
KozoooJun 10, 2009 11:15 AM
Jun 10, 2009 1:43 PM

Mar 2009
Hool said:
My question was how they would extend the story for 26 episodes, well, this episode answered... But he lives in light of the hunt Scythe, I don't know, I think this "end" could have been saved for the last episode.

if you really wish to know, check my spoiler.

Jun 10, 2009 6:39 PM

Jun 2007
Amazing episode. Renji was acting like a psychopathic killer which was awesome.

From the preview for the next episode it looks like Reiji takes on the name of "Phantom" (ie. Succession of the name) and does some hunting of his own :).

As for Eren....I suspect if she is alive we wont see her for a while. The reason being is so they can build up Renji's new character into one of those "I kill for revenge" type characters. Then when he hit's his peak, Eren will show back up again and cause some drama for him.
Jun 10, 2009 11:55 PM

Feb 2008
Seems like some people disliked the episode... personally, I thought it was very strong (and if you're going for absolute realism, you should probably skip the whole action genre anyhow... and drama, romance, comedy... maybe fiction in general...).

Very interested to see how this develops. I refuse to believe Ein is dead, but I agree that she will probably be absent for a while.

The biggest question for me is whether to wait and watch the anime or to just play more of the game, already.
Jun 11, 2009 6:16 AM

May 2009
It was a pretty good episode but it could've been done much better in my opinion. I hope Eren is alive.
Jun 11, 2009 12:09 PM

May 2008
mr_utopia_man said:
Seems like some people disliked the episode... personally, I thought it was very strong (and if you're going for absolute realism, you should probably skip the whole action genre anyhow... and drama, romance, comedy... maybe fiction in general...).

Regardless of the genre for example with fiction.. doesn't mean you can throw logic out of the window..
I can look past unrealistic action, but unrealistic character development that results in stupid decissions made for no logical reason is just unforgivable..

Oh well.. some people can still enjoy the show even with it flaws..
But I can't.. the last ep just pushed it too far..

Meh.. I had such high hopes for this show..
At least the on-going "Eden of the East" (which 'had' some similar genre features) is still keeping things together and manages to keep the show.. enjoyable.
Jun 11, 2009 1:34 PM

Feb 2009
Well, just keep on watching, the story from here is going to take a completely different turn.
Jun 11, 2009 10:10 PM

May 2009
shellshock said:
Hool said:

if you really wish to know, check my spoiler.

I dont think it will be just like the game...bcz i saw the ova`s and Ein and Zwei get married and go to japan .I`m realy hoping for a happy ending bcz thats is whi i`m watching this anime
I`M A MURDERER
Jun 12, 2009 3:50 AM

Oct 2008
You know, many of you complain that many things in this episode was too unrealistic and without a logic(with zombie stalking scene at first place), but for me it was great because it was that way. Thanks to this, stalking scene had extremely intense dark atmosphere, and kept me excited all the way. And if Zwei would simply shoot Scythe at sight, it wouldn't be even tiny bit as exciting as it was. Even if this series cares for little details like looks of guns, without some unrealistic or symbolic scenes it woudn't be so awesome, believe me.

I don't know if someone pointed that out already, but it just came to me today - If Zwei was going for sure kill with Scythe(cause he had just one bullet), he would definetely aim for his heart, right? But Ein is much shorter then Scythe is, so unless she jumped(which wasn't clearly shown) that bullet coudn't pierce her heart, am I right? If this is the case, Ein really could survive this, and I guess they can really explain it that way if Ein would show up later on safe and sound.

And about Reiji - yeah, it is hell of a unrealistic that he could survived this, but it was a great symbolic scene for me, nontheless. It was like killing reborn Reiji, and resurection of Zwei, but as a much greater killer then he was before.
Jun 12, 2009 11:17 AM

Jun 2008
oh my....i was at the edge of my seat half the time. i think the stalking bit was alright. it showcases zwei the psycho oh so nicely. and when ein/eren was shot, i was like OMG............ the shock.

*scowls* die scythe die!!
Jun 14, 2009 1:48 AM

Jan 2009
Kozooo said:
mr_utopia_man said:

Regardless of the genre for example with fiction.. doesn't mean you can throw logic out of the window..
I can look past unrealistic action, but unrealistic character development that results in stupid decissions made for no logical reason is just unforgivable..

Oh well.. some people can still enjoy the show even with it flaws..
But I can't.. the last ep just pushed it too far..

Meh.. I had such high hopes for this show..
At least the on-going "Eden of the East" (which 'had' some similar genre features) is still keeping things together and manages to keep the show.. enjoyable.

Nicely expressed. I'm completely on the same side of the table with you... Even main characters dying is ok for me if it happens for logical reasons. I'm going to continue the show even though it killed it's chances to top my charts with this episode. I'd rather have seen main characters die from some scatter bullet, at least it could have been more probable...
Jun 17, 2009 12:19 PM

Jun 2008
Amazing episode.
I hope it won't take a cliche path now.
Jun 20, 2009 9:23 PM

Sep 2007
Awful episode. The worst so far... the pacing was off, the outcome was predictable as hell, and scythe is extremely unrealistic; all boasting and powerful at first, and then suddenly turning into a crybaby? And ultimately he reverted back to his old self... Pathetic.

Nothing was even remotely good about this episode. Zwei turning psycho was totally uncalled for and made no sense at all. It just dragged and dragged, with him stalking after scythe for half of the episode.

Next episode will hopefully be a lot better.

Cuz this wasn't.
Jun 21, 2009 12:40 AM

Mar 2009
Chronolizer said:
Awful episode. The worst so far... the pacing was off, the outcome was predictable as hell, and scythe is extremely unrealistic; all boasting and powerful at first, and then suddenly turning into a crybaby? And ultimately he reverted back to his old self... Pathetic.

Nothing was even remotely good about this episode. Zwei turning psycho was totally uncalled for and made no sense at all. It just dragged and dragged, with him stalking after scythe for half of the episode.

Next episode will hopefully be a lot better.

Cuz this wasn't.

It's called 'CHARACTER'. They need to make it. The Sythe master, is just a weakling, with some power. Thats all.........................
Jun 21, 2009 11:41 AM

Sep 2008
The whole Zwei stalking Scythe scene was just too long. T_ Ugh. I was totally shocked when Ein'Eren' took the bullet, although I should've seen it coming. I'm 100% sure Zwei is still alive. I really hope Ein'Eren' is still alive. I wanted them two to last till the end. =/
Jun 22, 2009 12:22 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Psycho mode was nice, though I didn't expect this sort of outcome. Looking forward to the next episode.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 22, 2009 12:24 PM

Feb 2008
Didn't see that coming. But I don't like this. That Scythe guy should die right away. :/
Jun 26, 2009 3:03 AM

Jun 2008
First the name is Elen not Eren. Stupid idiots at funimation.

OK plot wise it wasn't that bad but there are a few things i didn't like. For example Zwei going around playing psycho zombie was stupid. His suppose to be a trained killer for God sakes not a gang member with a gun. The first word a train killer should know about killing someone, is fast and effective with out wasting time. That was completely unprofessional.
Also i hope that they will at least say in the next episode that he was wearing a bulletproof vest or something because it will be hard to shallow that he survived after being shot 4 times in close range like that. This is not Code Geass.

Other than that it wasn't bad although i will be highly disappointed if Ein/Elen is dead from this early. I kind of enjoyed seeing Scythe master running like the chicken that he really is and am anxious to see what will follow.
Jul 10, 2009 4:39 PM

Oct 2008
The End?

Jul 11, 2009 10:41 PM

Jun 2009
I respect your opinions and everything, and you have some good points. But, nobody ever said that this show was supposed to be realistic. Also, even if Elen did not die; can you not imagine how this is going to change Reiji? I mean "killing" the only important person to him IS going to change him. The question is: will it be for the better or for the worst.

Also, Elen just happens to be my favorite character. So, I can't help but hope she survived somehow. I don't know how they could possibly pull it off in a believable way, but we'll see.

As for Reiji stalking Scythe, he went into his "beserk" mode. As we've seen in the past he doesn't think, he just does when he's like that. It definitely backfired in this case, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 19, 2009 7:20 PM

Apr 2009
Zer0_TR said:

Rule number 1: Dont play with your prey.

Definitely.

I'm pretty sure that Eren/Ein is alive... can't end just like this xD But god, that stalking was too slow
Jul 22, 2009 6:13 AM

Jun 2009
You gotta love Psycho Reiji! Though he should have shot scythe right away! Why stalk him before killing him? arggggh!
Aug 3, 2009 2:45 PM

Jun 2007
Reiji's special ability to survive any situation, no matter it is. Short of annihilating his heart or putting a bullet/knife between his eyebrows, he isn't going to die.

That look he showed while Scythe reminded me of the 'Vengeful Spirits' ending in the game.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Aug 17, 2009 5:29 PM

Jul 2009
WTF.........
Sep 17, 2009 7:04 PM

Jan 2008
I loved when Zwei went all psychotic, seriously I thought that part was badass...

However, Ein is a fucking retard for protecting that jackass. UGH! Makes me so mad! The show isn't even half over yet, so now what? o_O
Sep 30, 2009 12:15 AM

Oct 2008
I have no idea about wtf is happening but dam this series is good. Zwei is the only one alive though, Elen couldn't have survived that.. Zwei will almost certainly assume the solo role of "phantom".
Oct 11, 2009 2:16 PM

Aug 2009
Okay...

WTF EXACTLY HAPPENED? THEY BOTH DIED? SO, WHO'S GOING TO BE THE PROTAGONIST IN THE NEXT EPISODES?

Fucking Scythe Master, you motherfucking coward, you wuss.. I really hope that Eren and Reiji are both alive and survived those fatal shots.

Very, very, very nice episode. Loved pyscho Reiji/Zwei btw. :D
Feb 4, 2011 2:25 PM

Dec 2010
Nate2k90 said:
WTF.........

forreal i mean... WTF!!... Ein is really pissing me off, why the hell would she take a shot for that bastard, and it was going so good also he was finally going to die with that pathetic look on his face... gah... oh well its kinda obvious considering how early it is in the show that both of them are still alive so hopefully he(Scythe) gets whats coming to him soon, i really want this bastard to die already.
Mar 19, 2011 8:11 PM
Feb 2008
I just want to know how she was able to run up on both of them with her wound re opening and get in between them in that short of a time without either noticing either. Was some lolwut bullshit
Apr 1, 2011 10:31 AM
Mar 2011
As entertaining as it is, this anime has unrealistic holes that are trolling me right now.

How can Lizzie nail 5 SNIPERS from a mile away with a HANDGUN, but can't shoot Scythe or Ein from 20 feet away. May I add that those two were not shooting back; and when they were running away, they were running STRAIGHT, no zig zags. What the FUCK?!
Apr 1, 2011 10:45 AM
Mar 2011
thatguy said:
I just want to know how she was able to run up on both of them with her wound re opening and get in between them in that short of a time without either noticing either. Was some lolwut bullshit

Also she was behind Reiji, somehow got around the corner of his eye and dodged the peripheral vision of a world-class marksmen, to jump infront of a bullet (that Reiji really wouldn't even shoot if he seen Ein get anywhere NEAR Scythe Master during such a critical time) and "die" (I don't know yet).

??? lolwut indeed,

My intelligence has been insulted.
Oct 31, 2011 9:51 PM

May 2011
holy shit that was great!
god i hope elen made it thru tho, it just wouldnt be the same with her out
Mar 16, 2012 12:19 AM

Sep 2011
Was anyone else yelling at the top of their lungs for him to fkin just shoot him already!? JEEEEEZ.
Mar 31, 2012 6:24 AM

Dec 2011
If Ellen die I ll drop this show :(
Jun 17, 2012 2:55 PM

Nov 2007
I had a feeling Scythe would escape to be the main bad guy later.

Stupid to only keep 1 bullet. Way too cocky. Should have took Scythe when he had the chance. Idiot dove in front of the bullet?

Reiji needs to get revenge.

Kinda made me like the black chick though.
Jun 18, 2012 9:31 AM

Jan 2012
i personally didn't mind the stalking scene, where he was just walking towards him all zombie like was kinda creepy in a way, but its true what they say 'don't play with your food' except just replace food with prey xD i mean i hope there both alive but i have a feeling there both going to survive even though Ellen got shot near enough in the heart I think, and Zwei got hit maybe 4-5 times? Interested to see where they go now.
Jul 3, 2012 2:50 AM

Jun 2012
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO WTF NO NO WTF MAN that ain't even fair!!! i know Reiji is alive because you just use common sense but ein wtf nooooo she better not have died or i'll drop this shit!!!
Jul 25, 2012 9:04 PM

Aug 2010
Did the main characters just die.. lol. I don't mind if Eren died though, I got bored of seeing her so much. And I think Reiji will get some good character development if she really is dead.
Aug 4, 2012 5:53 PM

Jul 2011
This show... Sorry, but I haven't seen so many melodramatic scenes and predictable clichés in such concentration before.
Sep 2, 2012 9:34 AM

Aug 2012
Interesting episode, even though it looked kinda unrealistic (the whole zwei walking like a mad man for 5 minutes) at times.
4/5

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.