Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 3, 2009 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
Hey everyone, looking for suggestions on a pair of headphones down the line for under $100.

Will be using them for:
-gaming
-music
-anime watching (of course)

And if possible... are there any that look okay to wear in public? So if I wanted to take them on the go with my mp3 player. Thanks
removed-userJun 6, 2009 12:05 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 25, 2009 1:25 AM
Jun 2009
My Sony MDR XD 200's on CNET list 24.40 - 29.99 USD. Although, I paid around 50 USD at my local outlet due to my obscure location.

Pros:
comfy, circumaural pads
really low price
excellent sound (especially considering the price)
long cord
6.3 mm TRS adaptor
durable (lasted a year being taken everywhere everyday, a few scratches but they work fine)

Cons:
somewhat uncomfortable headband (you get used to it, not painful)
cheap chrome paint rings around cups (I painted over them)
when wearing, makes top of your head look a bit flat (square headband shape)

Recommended.

http://www.headphonecity.com/images/MDR-XD200.bmp
Jul 20, 2009 8:33 AM

Apr 2009
Mine is Sony MDR XD100. I also paid about 50$ for it due to to my obscure location xD

You should definitely go with this series of Sony!
Jul 25, 2009 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
Thanks for the recommendations guys, at the moment I'm kind of leaning towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7. Anyone have any experience with these?

Also... the ATH-EM7GM looks cool haha, but also seems uncomfortable. Is there any retail stores where these are available so I can try them in person before purchasing?
Jul 31, 2009 11:16 AM

Nov 2007
gr33nhippo said:
Thanks for the recommendations guys, at the moment I'm kind of leaning towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7. Anyone have any experience with these?

Also... the ATH-EM7GM looks cool haha, but also seems uncomfortable. Is there any retail stores where these are available so I can try them in person before purchasing?

ES7 is GREAT. The pictures don't don't do the mirror finish justice. If you want to buy a pair though, save yourself some money and buy a refurbished one http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHES7BKRB
The only con is that the clamp force is way too great, so you have to bend the headband for a more comfortable fit (there's a tutorial somewhere)
Other than that, your only options are canalphones and IEMs. I've had good experience with CX-500 but beware there's tons of fakes on eBay.

If portability isn't an issue, also consider AD700, Creative Aurvana Live!, and Philips HP-910.
Jul 31, 2009 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
Shinkenshi said:
gr33nhippo said:

ES7 is GREAT. The pictures don't don't do the mirror finish justice. If you want to buy a pair though, save yourself some money and buy a refurbished one http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHES7BKRB
The only con is that the clamp force is way too great, so you have to bend the headband for a more comfortable fit (there's a tutorial somewhere)
Other than that, your only options are canalphones and IEMs. I've had good experience with CX-500 but beware there's tons of fakes on eBay.

If portability isn't an issue, also consider AD700, Creative Aurvana Live!, and Philips HP-910.

Cool thanks, yea I've seen better pictures and it's quite smexy. I'll be asking for the pair on my birthday (October xD) so the price for a new one rather than refurbished is fine hehe ^^
Aug 7, 2009 12:21 AM

Mar 2008
Have you looked at the Grado sr60? Quite possibly the best sounding set of cans you can get for it's price. Of course, it doesn't have the sexy shiny plating of the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7, but that shouldn't deter you.
Aug 7, 2009 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
tospd said:
Have you looked at the Grado sr60? Quite possibly the best sounding set of cans you can get for it's price. Of course, it doesn't have the sexy shiny plating of the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7, but that shouldn't deter you.

Thanks for suggestion, just looked into those and it seems they're open back (that the correct term?) headphones. I'll be using them in my dorm so looking for closed back preferably as to not bother others. ^^
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Your head-/ear-phone collection ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

De-JaY - Aug 7, 2008

244 by emijackson8 »»
Oct 29, 2021 9:00 PM

» Your first DIY headphone repair

Erojohn - Apr 27, 2011

4 by janggeungulk »»
Dec 4, 2013 2:15 AM

Sticky: » [OPEN] Headphones Member Cards ( 1 2 3 )

Kyonzi - Sep 7, 2010

107 by Cresando »»
May 8, 2013 3:35 AM

» DJ Headphones < $100

abcwikiwiki - Nov 8, 2009

1 by Crakeling »»
Jan 5, 2013 11:26 AM

» Any suggestions for what headphones i should get?

YuzuruKun - Oct 28, 2011

3 by Crakeling »»
Jan 5, 2013 10:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.