Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 10, 2014 9:06 PM

here's a little interview with isayama about what influence him to start making attack on titan. and also what influence him to do so.

youtube video of his interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHj0qUwuu2Y

translation not in perfect English, though, It's readable . Just put this up for anyone that's interested.

1.-Why did you pick Mangaka as a career?
Isayama="There is no specific reason behind it, when did I realize that. I don't know why but I just thought that in the future I'll become a Mangaka and that was my goal. Since I have memory, pretty much kindergarten I was always drawing specially dinosaurs and things like that. I used to spend a lot of my time drawing and that made me feel like I never studied enough. For some reason I'm devoted to drawing and I don't study necessary things for it as the shading process or other techniques. Therefore I feel like I don't know much about it."

2.-What are the major influences for your work?
Isayama="Although I read manga in the past, the first time I got really interested in a manga was with ARMS. I feel like I don't have lots of influences with mangas but I do with video games, movies, movie critics, etc. I guess that as well some influences come from the monsters in my childhood as Godzilla, Mothra, Gamera. The Japanese terror industry and the horror mangas as NUBE & The master from hell."

3.-What was the inspiration behind Attack On Titan?
Isayama="I used to play a video game rated R called MUV LUV ALTERNATIVE. It was about aliens taking over the earth and the human race reaching the extinction. That game was my inspiration for Attack On Titan. At the beginning I had the threes as a barrier against the titans. That was back then when I was 19 yrs. old and later on I thought about the walls and how that will be much better idea. It had to be something big that will stop the titans and at the end I went for the walls plus it was more realistic. When it comes to drawing the titans what I find more interesting about these monsters is that they have to be in a more realistic world but since my drawing skills are not that good yet I lowered the realism and I opted for a vision more like Dragon Quest."

4.- What was the inspirations for the titans?
Isayama="The original concept comes from a carnival Mona Lisa that was in NUBE &The master from Hell. There was this Mona Lisa on this painting and she will come out from it and eat the people. I saw that in Elementary school and I was horrified by it. Now that's the origin of the basic concept but when it comes to drawing them I look at random pictures of people on magazines or stuff like that and I use their expressions. I picked them by their face expression and I look for a unpleasant look. If you look the titans don't change their faces from the moment they encounter someone until they kill them. They never stop smiling. Kind of as if they were expressionless but since they never change they give the opposite effect. It gives a obnoxious emotion and I choose to do it that way for that reason, the more nasty the better. Also is not that I want them to be scary as hell but also they can seem funny even on a level of stupidity some people might find them that way except that everyone decides how they want to see them as and either or I just wanted to show something weird. When it comes to the titans fighting scenes well, I like mixed martial arts like the UFC industry. They were part of my influence as well."

5.-It can be sense the theme of "THE LOST PARADISE IN ATTACK ON TITAN" isn't it?
Isayama="Well, at first a comment from a movie critic influenced me (Tomohiro Machiyama) about the DARK NIGHT, when he said that the character of the Joker was based on THE LOST PARADISE. Maybe that doesn't have to deal with today's society but they are characteristics that resemble the lost paradise. For example: What's better? A life without freedom where people love you and you have enough to survive or a life with freedom where security is unsure?"

6.-What do you think about the success of Attack On Titan and the fact it's already published outside of Japan?
Isayama="As a Japanese manga, this the manga world this one of the worst drawn artworks. The fact it was accepted in Japan it could maybe be because it's from Japan. It has potential for the manga culture and I believe that's the reason why people like it. However if you don't have an active point of view it could be a challenging work. When I started this I never imagined the series will last. I started off thinking how it could even end at the first volume yet I got good critics and the series went on. Now I do this with the sensation of maybe my only creation in life and I think about a lot in what I'll draw next. The artwork is terrible even so people seem to like it in Japan maybe the readers will be take it home since they have an inquisitive mind and they want to know what comes next.
I hope you keep on reading! Thank you so much".
Modified by keragamming, Feb 10, 2014 9:15 PM

Feb 10, 2014 9:14 PM

Very interesting. So the mangaka admits his drawing sucks. Good to hear.

Feb 11, 2014 4:47 AM

Well,little does he know we dont mind the new improved art at all.
Also he never took drawing lessons and could already draw a manga,impressive.
Well,he surely wasnt expecting it to be one of th best mangas out there,hes pretty humble and unconfident though.

Feb 11, 2014 10:12 AM

First of all, thank you so much for sharing and bothering to translate all of this (in case you did it :D If not, I still appreciate sharing it with us :3) ^^

Also, this was certainly an interesting interview :D
Though I think he shouldn't be so harsh on himself. Though many people have/had problems with the art, no one can deny it is quite fitting for the series and it just needs time to get used to it. Sure, there were some problems with the proportions here and there (I'm not talking about the titans, they were meant to look like that), but I don't think his art should ever be considered THAT bad.

Feb 12, 2014 12:33 AM

While his drawings is not the best, it isn't the worst that i've seen :X The art have improved greatly compared to before :3 Thank you so much for translating it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 12, 2014 1:25 AM

I think he's a bit harsh on himself, his art isn't that bad to be called 'one of the worst drawn artworks'.

Feb 12, 2014 7:37 AM

Thank you for the translation dude.

Well I think it's cute he admitting that his drawing style is not very good, but like he said, he never took drawing lessons and also he's just a baby, what? 20 years old or something? Screw perfectionism, he's like god now.

" I used to spend a lot of my time drawing and that made me feel like I never studied enough."
story of my life.

Feb 12, 2014 7:56 AM

^plz just finish the manga dude, i don't play to wait 2 months for the next chapter

wtf are u guys talking about, he's artwork is perfect, especially coz it's fitting the story and all... i mean, just look how morbid it looks just like the atmosphere. and his artwork imrpoves by time, not to mention i'm old school lover and the first chapters art i love the most!
Tuturu~

Feb 12, 2014 9:51 AM

mandroid said:
^plz just finish the manga dude, i don't play to wait 2 months for the next chapter

wtf are u guys talking about, he's artwork is perfect, especially coz it's fitting the story and all... i mean, just look how morbid it looks just like the atmosphere. and his artwork imrpoves by time, not to mention i'm old school lover and the first chapters art i love the most!

Chapter 55, will be out in march.

Jun 5, 2014 7:18 AM

But I really do enjoy his weirdly drawn titans.

And shit he's just 20? :O
Can't wait for more awesome mangas from him.

Jun 5, 2014 3:55 PM

ikazuuyr said:

He is 27 or 28

Jun 6, 2014 12:51 AM

ikazuuyr said:

He was about 19/20 years old (2006) or so when he came up with the concept but only started serializing the series when he was about 22/23 in 2009 so he's like 27/28 now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 6, 2014 3:15 AM

HE WAS FUCKING INSPIRED BY MLA!
HOLY SHIT!!

Oct 28, 2014 9:41 PM

This guy's really awesome. For a 26 something to build a fictional world this solid, robust characters and know precisely how to structure a plot that keeps the masses on the edge of their seat, it's quite impressive. I can see how Nube inspired him, it was quite the horror for me as well back then.

In regards to art... I can't imagine SnK being drawn in a loli style or cute anime style with clean lines at all. Actually even from the beginning I kinda enjoy the art, it's like I'm reading seinen :) Indeed he seemed to have some trouble with proportions, but the newer chapters' seen significant improvement!

Oct 28, 2014 10:40 PM

fiane said:
This guy's really awesome. For a 26 something to build a fictional world this solid, robust characters and know precisely how to structure a plot that keeps the masses on the edge of their seat, it's quite impressive. I can see how Nube inspired him, it was quite the horror for me as well back then.

In regards to art... I can't imagine SnK being drawn in a loli style or cute anime style with clean lines at all. Actually even from the beginning I kinda enjoy the art, it's like I'm reading seinen :) Indeed he seemed to have some trouble with proportions, but the newer chapters' seen significant improvement!

Hey, can you give me a link to this series call the nube? I've been trying to find it but I couldn't. Or is it a manga series?

Oct 29, 2014 3:29 PM

Yeap, it's a manga series. There's an anime version as well, but better read the manga first. Classic artstyle though, what stands out is the way he drew monsters and ghosts. I msgd you the link.

Preview MangaManga Store