Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 31, 2009 3:57 PM
Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmmmm so I just watched "Eureka seveN: Good night, Sleep tight, Young lovers" (international title, while the Japanese title was "Pocket full of rainbows). So, to begin with, everything has changed, Eureka and Renton are childhood friends, the Nirvash is their little friend (like a pet) that becomes a huge organic mecha, Dominic is Renton's teacher (he is like 15 or so years older), Anemone is an old-woman, however, the Gekko-go members are still there and are still the Gekko-go members, BUT incorporated into the military, along with basically every main character... Oh and they melted Sakuya and Norb's story with Holland and Talho's story, which is a Hell of a lame (and easy) pretext to fight. Almost nothing is kept from the original series, pretty much like Escaflowne the Movie is to Escaflowne. And unfortunately, the result is quite as disastrous as for Escaflowne.

The first strange fact that we can notice right from the beginning is that Eureka is extremely expressive and not an inhuman girl that becomes more and more human as in the series. On top of that, she has become very vulnerable to the sun rays (like a vampire?), which isn't bad by itself, but has no interest at all on screen since it's just a pretext once again and doesn't influence the script. Then, we learn that the world is faced with a new powerful ennemy called Image (pretty much the core of the Coralians) and is united to destroy it, there's no diverging organizations like the Vodareks and the military in the series, all the human beings have come together to fight against Image. A bit simplistic but well...

What is more problematic, is that the rythm of the movie is off from beginning to end (either too slow, but more often too quick), and there are not even explanations to support every new plot development and character apparition (and disparition also, a LOT of characters come on screen for like 10 seconds and we never see them again, some are important but do not even appear like Bear or Dewey). Thus, on the one hand, there are so many changes and simplifications that it won't please the fans of the original series, and on the other hand it is not a movie for those who have not seen the series either because what BONES tried to do it is quite unclear, too fast and just without substance for most of the film. There are even some scenes from the series that are rehashed and put totally out of context in the movie, for a matter of budget I guess, but it seemed extremely weird from my point of view as a fan of the series that considers it one of the three best series of mecha of the 2000's with RahXephon and Gurren Lagann (probably the best for my tastes even). Oh, and the relationship between the characters are just ridiculously simplified and extremely mushy most of the time.

Then, I think the background of the movie is a bit left behind, there is no way for someone who has not seen the original material to understand anything about Eureka Seven's world, and even then, the changes are so great that it's hard to understand why they did some of them (how come Dominic and Anemone are old, Dewey and Holland not related anymore, Eureka vulnerable to light and Renton's childhood friend, the Nirvash some kind of silly plushie that transforms into a war machine? It doesn't actually improve the plot in any way, nor does it contribute to changing anything fundamentally, it's just changing for the sake of changing). I can't imagine Dai Sato participated in this movie, since he wouldn't let pass such huge scenaristic flaws. It even crosses the line of idiocy from time to time by trying to put too many things in one movie and packing everything in less than two hours without proper script. Oh and some dialogues are awful, thank God the voice actors are great.

On the bright side, Naoki Sato's music is still top notch (what a wonderful composer...) and BONES' animation is just spectacular the whole movie. Technically speaking, it's all good, it's just the concept and the plot that are strange to be kind, failures to be more honest. It ressembles a gigantic cameo exercise for the characters and the situations of the series, put in a different context and environment, that changes nothing fundamentally. A very weird piece of film, that I don't even understand why it was done 4 years after the end of the original series (which wasn't even a big success, except among fans like me, so why?), and more than anything, why it was done this way. A totally original movie based on the series or a full recap would both have been better in my opinion. It just makes no sense at all from a production point and has little artistic value (certainly not on par to the series at least).

However, the main turn on of the movie is the ending (and the last 30 minutes more generally), that I found very enjoyable with great action-packed sequences, a fantastic BGM and a dramatic, romantic and fitting ending overall, even if the reasons and developments for this ending were not good at all. To conclude, the manga wasn't good, the movie is not really good either, so I would advise to stick to the series, it's the only true representative title from Eureka Seven. "Eureka seveN: Good night, Sleep tight, Young lovers" could have been a great film, it is not, even if it has certain qualities (hmm now that I think about it, it reminds me of Xam'd by in the way it does not explains its universe, does not to create interesting relationship between its characters and has major scenaristic flaws!).

In the end, the main deciding factor would be this: if watching a 30 cm SD Nirvash ressembling a Kodama of Mononoke Hime saying "Mokyu" all the time seems fun to you, I guess you could watch it, but if you find it ridiculous enough just imagining it, then I guess you can pass.
JacutJun 1, 2009 7:19 AM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 6, 2009 3:37 PM

Dec 2008
where did you watch it please tell me I really wanna watch it

~Signature made by Dea37s~

Night Academy I.D.
Jun 9, 2009 7:20 AM
Dec 2007
It's only released in Japan on theaters for now but I got a DVD sample since I work for Bandai ;) The official release in Japan is scheduled for the 26th of June if you want to order a DVD/UMD/BD !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 10, 2009 5:56 PM

Dec 2008
Jacut said:
It's only released in Japan on theaters for now but I got a DVD sample since I work for Bandai ;) The official release in Japan is scheduled for the 26th of June if you want to order a DVD/UMD/BD !
you work for bandai? nice I wish I got early releases and thanks for the info... I'm still jealous that you got to watch the movie early though lol

~Signature made by Dea37s~

Night Academy I.D.
Jun 11, 2009 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
Thanks for all the insight. It sounds like we’re on the same page when it comes to taste, so I will skip the anticipation and drooling in order to move onto a better and more noteworthy series. I will still check out the movie later on down the road, but I won’t be getting my hopes up.

Yeah, after volume 4 the manga went downhill.
Jun 11, 2009 3:44 PM

Jul 2008
Naoki Sato provided the music!? Holy shit. I'd watch it for that alone. Thanks for explaining so much. I'm going to try finish the series soon in time for the DVD release.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jun 25, 2009 2:54 PM

Oct 2008
Ok so it Appears that Psalms of Planets is the title of the first blu-ray release of Eureka Seven, yes I'm late. I'm not sure why they've included the coalgirls subs on this movie page. I'm also kinda curious weather or not Bandai America will release a Blu-ray version with the English dub in the U.S.? I don't see any news that they are. I guess it doesn't really matter since it really just looks like an up-convert. Am I wrong? Plus Yes-asia has the first Box set of 2 quoted at $375.49, no wonder coalgirls decided to rip it and upres it themselves a little more.
Orion1Jul 3, 2009 5:04 AM
Jun 26, 2009 9:11 PM
Feb 2007
No point in Bandai Ent releasing E7 on bluray here. The Jap bluray is shit, its just an upscale of the TV broadcast.
Jun 26, 2009 10:14 PM
Jun 2009
Uhm i think Metal-superman missunderstood something here, the author of the thread is only talking about the movie, the series itself is great in my opinion, i've seen it aswell, my mate works for bandai so we watched it together during my vacation in japan (she lives there).

I agree with most of what you said above, i got so dissapointed when i found out that it had little to do with the series, i would've loved a follow up on the series, a OVA or something.

Edasvangen
Jun 27, 2009 10:24 AM

Jan 2008
I haven't seen this yet but I'm a bit confused: MAL says that the movie is just one, yet Coalgirls have released 3 episodes so far?

Isn't Eureka​ Seven​ - Psalms​ of​ Planets the name of the movie?
Jun 27, 2009 6:58 PM
Jun 2009
What they have subbed are upscaled blueray versions of the old show
Jun 27, 2009 7:19 PM
Feb 2007
Ryoujin said:
I haven't seen this yet but I'm a bit confused: MAL says that the movie is just one, yet Coalgirls have released 3 episodes so far?

Isn't Eureka​ Seven​ - Psalms​ of​ Planets the name of the movie?

The original series is Psalms of Planets: Eureka seveN or something. The movie is Pocket Full of Rainbows.
Jun 28, 2009 2:12 PM

Dec 2007
FYI the raws out just waiting on subbing, coalgirls have said they will be subbing but who knows. All i care is that it come soon cause i cant wait to see how they are going to redo the story and use the same main characters too.
Jun 28, 2009 8:50 PM

Sep 2008
Yea, I was surprised when I got home and I saw the RAWS had already been uploaded recently.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Jun 30, 2009 3:59 AM
Mar 2008
i felt something wasn't right when i got news of the plot of the movie. i wont get my hopes up but i will watch it just because I'm a big fan of eureka and renton, the tv version was perfect exempt i dint like how they made people think that they went somewhere else at the end i hope this has a nice ending
Jul 1, 2009 10:49 PM

Aug 2008
Subs out
Jul 2, 2009 2:16 AM

Jun 2009
is nanashi a reliable sub group?

personally, ive never heard of them...
hopefully this movie is good but i wish it would have somewhat followed the anime more...
Jul 2, 2009 2:39 AM

Jun 2007
My thoughts on the movie are...mixed.

Some of it was really great. Some of it...was not.

**Some vague spoilers below, but nothing too specific.**

The movies biggest flaw is that it never really truly nails down exactly what's going on. The situation seems to be changing from moment to moment, but it's not even really clear what it is changing from and what it is changing into. There are so many "myths" and "legends" all going on, none of which are actually expounded upon, that it's not really clear what anybody's motivations are. Well, other than Renton's, anyway.

Renton and Eureka are well done, though their relationship is substantially less natural than it was in the series. They're more like long lost starcrossed lovers here, rather than two people who over time built a relationship and went through the ups and downs that go with that. I don't really have a problem with that, it's just worth noting the difference.

It would seem that this movie is meant to be an alternate dimension sort of thing, rather than something that doesn't have any attachment with the TV series at all (based on some of the characters' awareness of the TV series' world as it exists at the end of the series), which was kind of interesting. Though maybe it shouldn't have been, since it did raise my hopes that maybe we would actually see some interaction with the world of the TV series at some point, which never did happen.

Ultimately, I think it's clear that Dai Sato's guidance was sorely missed with the script. There are ideas here, and there are pieces that are really great. It's just that it's all kind of haphazardly mashed together.

Of course, the other fault of the movie is what they did with the Gekko crew. While the series portrayed them clearly as good guys who had to fight for what they believed in, the movie couldn't seem to really figure out what they were. Were they villains willing to do anything it took to see their goals fulfilled? Were they good guys who were just misunderstood and had to do what was necessary? It's all pretty vague.

And yet despite all the faults, there was a lot of great stuff. Some of the story I really enjoyed (just because the whole thing was a mess doesn't mean some pieces of it weren't really good). All of the recycled footage was used in pretty fascinating new ways, telling a completely and totally different tale. The new animation was spectacular, as expected, with a few new jawdropping Itano Circus sequences. The new characterizations for Nirvash and theEND were pretty great and a lot of fun. Some of the role reversals for the characters were quite interesting, and there were quite a lot of surprises.

All in all, I did enjoy it. But it's definitely heavily flawed and, well, kind of a mess as a narrative. I'm still not really sure what was actually accomplished overall, but, eh, I had fun along the way.
MetatronMJul 2, 2009 3:05 AM
Jul 2, 2009 9:27 AM

Dec 2007
PandAEmiC said:
is nanashi a reliable sub group?

personally, ive never heard of them...
hopefully this movie is good but i wish it would have somewhat followed the anime more...

nanashi is VERY reliable. They were the primary subbers for the TV series, good to see them again after a long time.
Jul 2, 2009 10:33 AM

Sep 2008
Anyone expecting a retelling/copycat of Eureka 7 tv in movie format will be sorely dissapointed.
Those expecting a movie with the things that made E7 interesting, but in a new story, will fucking love it.

10/10

MetatronM said:

Of course, the other fault of the movie is what they did with the Gekko crew. While the series portrayed them clearly as good guys who had to fight for what they believed in, the movie couldn't seem to really figure out what they were. Were they villains willing to do anything it took to see their goals fulfilled? Were they good guys who were just misunderstood and had to do what was necessary? It's all pretty vague.

That made it all that much better in my opinion. They were not good guys, they were not bad guys. They were people trying to keep on living, just like the military and the rest of humanity. Their objectives just collided, so they had to fight each other to live. I, for one, loved this change.
EmmanuelVRJul 2, 2009 10:52 AM
Jul 2, 2009 12:46 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was an interesting end. I was thinking how they'll end is, I liked this.

The movie was very nice. Loved all the moments with Eureka and Renton together. Scenery was beautiful as well, just like Eureka. Very enjoyable movie. 9/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 2, 2009 1:07 PM

Jun 2007
EmmanuelVR said:

MetatronM said:

That made it all that much better in my opinion. They were not good guys, they were not bad guys. They were people trying to keep on living, just like the military and the rest of humanity. Their objectives just collided, so they had to fight each other to live. I, for one, loved this change.

My problem isn't the change in and of itself but how poorly executed it was and how profoundly uninteresting and unlikeable they were. Aside from Talho, all of them were either made into non-entities or into downright assholes. Half of them didn't even have more than one or two lines of dialogue, if they were even lucky to get that much. They almost would have been better served leaving the Gekko out entirely, since ultimately they had really a whole lot of nothing to do with what Renton and Eureka needed to do (or apparently needed to do...or didn't need to do but decided to do anyway...or, eh, who the hell even knows).

I'm all for turning the tables on characters (for example, what they did with the Sages was very interesting and substantially better handled), but this was just shoddily done.
MetatronMJul 2, 2009 1:11 PM
Jul 2, 2009 5:05 PM

May 2009
Felt nice to see all the characters again.
This was a really enjoyable movie for me, although I found the story pretty confusing. But as a movie that's not supposed to have anything to do with the the tv-series, I liked it a lot.

Animation, voice acting and the music was all top notch.

4/5
Jul 2, 2009 5:48 PM

Sep 2008
MetatronM said:

My problem isn't the change in and of itself but how poorly executed it was and how profoundly uninteresting and unlikeable they were. Aside from Talho, all of them were either made into non-entities or into downright assholes. Half of them didn't even have more than one or two lines of dialogue, if they were even lucky to get that much. They almost would have been better served leaving the Gekko out entirely, since ultimately they had really a whole lot of nothing to do with what Renton and Eureka needed to do (or apparently needed to do...or didn't need to do but decided to do anyway...or, eh, who the hell even knows).

I'm all for turning the tables on characters (for example, what they did with the Sages was very interesting and substantially better handled), but this was just shoddily done.

I disagree, I found their point of view for things rather interesting, and how well it collided with Renton's. I'll give you that everyone not named Holland/Talho was there on name only, as "the Gekko State", or 303 youth army to be exact. (except Stoner and Hap, which would be my only complain, specially Hap, but then again this is not the same people.) They represented a group of children (weird to say this huh?) affected by what had happened before, all thanks to the stupidity of humanity and not being able to communicate with the Imagine/Coral. And it was way better to use them rather than create generic characters for that purpose only. Holland was an asshole, yes, but to deny that his character was interesting is another thing. Considering all that happened, and that this Holland was neither particularly fond of Eureka or Renton indirectly (the sister thing), the way things played out was very interesting (at least for me). I don't really understand what you meant by the "needed to do" part, so I won't say anything about that.
EmmanuelVRJul 2, 2009 5:53 PM
Jul 2, 2009 6:16 PM

Jun 2007
EmmanuelVR said:
MetatronM said:

I disagree, I found their point of view for things rather interesting, and how well it collided with Renton's. I'll give you that everyone not named Holland/Talho was there on name only, as "the Gekko State", or 303 youth army to be exact. (except Stoner and Hap, which would be my only complain, specially Hap, but then again this is not the same people.) They represented a group of children (weird to say this huh?) affected by what had happened before, all thanks to the stupidity of humanity and not being able to communicate with the Imagine/Coral. And it was way better to use them rather than create generic characters for that purpose only. Holland was an asshole, yes, but to deny that his character was interesting is another thing. Considering all that happened, and that this Holland was neither particularly fond of Eureka or Renton indirectly (the sister thing), the way things played out was very interesting (at least for me). I don't really understand what you meant by the "needed to do" part, so I won't say anything about that.
But Holland WASN'T interesting, because I have no friggin' idea what he wanted. He was fickle as hell, believed in fairy tales, didn't seem to even know if what he was searching for was literal or a metaphor, and just generally wasn't well established.

The rest of the 303 army was basically given no foundation as individual characters. They're just a group of poor saps with a sob story who happen to look like characters from a TV show I've seen before. But none of them had any actual characterization or anything going on with them. The only ones who DID, Hap and Stoner, were wholly unsympathetic, presumptuous, unintelligent, and unlikable.

Also, I don't know what "sister" thing you're talking about. Diane was not Renton's sister in the movie (and, as near as I can remember, wasn't even named Diane EDIT-just checked, her name is A. Yamashita in the movie), and there's no evidence that she had anything to do with movie!Holland at all.

Not to mention Holland's name isn't actually Holland in the movie. He just took that name so he could take over command of the 303 without anyone knowing (though why everybody continues to call him that even after the fact is beyond me).
Jul 2, 2009 6:47 PM

Dec 2008
I was supremely disappointed by this simply because I was led to believe that it would be a continuation, rather than a "parallel universe" story. I thought it looked nice, but was absolutely drivel.

I feel supremely cheated, both out of my time and bandwidth. Unbelievable.
Editor - qq Fansubs - #qqkthx@irc.rizon.net - http://www.qqkthx.org/
Jul 2, 2009 7:00 PM

Sep 2008
Spoilers ahead for anyone that hasn't seen it:

MetatronM said:
But Holland WASN'T interesting, because I have no friggin' idea what he wanted. He was fickle as hell, believed in fairy tales, didn't seem to even know if what he was searching for was literal or a metaphor, and just generally wasn't well established.

He was trying to reach Neverland, the place he believes they were meant to be and was the only place where they would be able to live normally. A place where time had stopped. Holland tried to use the Nirvash, Renton and Eureka, together with the Hammer of god, to reach said place (but as explained with the subatom theory, would actually just modify that one). The only reason he stopped was because of Talho getting pregnant, which would mean that achieving neverland would not let that baby be born. Fickle? I wouldn't call him that at all. He was pretty straightforward about what he wanted, and even expressed remorse on using Renton, but would have if it saved everyone on the Gekko-go and specially Talho.

MetatronM said:
The rest of the 303 army was basically given no foundation as individual characters. They're just a group of poor saps with a sob story who happen to look like characters from a TV show I've seen before. But none of them had any actual characterization or anything going on with them. The only ones who DID, Hap and Stoner, were wholly unsympathetic, presumptuous, unintelligent, and unlikable.

Yeah, basically. They were there as a group, not as single entities. And better to use them rather than create new generic characters. I already said what I felt about Hap and Stoner, and basically matches what you said. But they were never even important, and only used as part of the plot during the movie.

MetatronM said:

Also, I don't know what "sister" thing you're talking about. Diane was not Renton's sister in the movie (and, as near as I can remember, wasn't even named Diane EDIT-just checked, her name is A. Yamashita in the movie), and there's no evidence that she had anything to do with movie!Holland at all.

I meant something more along the lines of "Holland wasn't fond of Eureka, or even Renton indirectly (as he did in the series thanks to his relationship with his sister). Sorry if I didn't explain myself well.

MetatronM said:
Not to mention Holland's name isn't actually Holland in the movie. He just took that name so he could take over command of the 303 without anyone knowing (though why everybody continues to call him that even after the fact is beyond me).

Yeah, they most likely did that for the viewers more than anything. My guess? He is probably called norb! (just joking).

Stadtfeld said:
I was supremely disappointed by this simply because I was led to believe that it would be a continuation, rather than a "parallel universe" story. I thought it looked nice, but was absolutely drivel.

What the hell led you to believe that? XD
From day one we were told it would be an alternative universe.
EmmanuelVRJul 2, 2009 7:08 PM
Jul 2, 2009 8:17 PM

Aug 2008
I'm not gonna Write something long or quote on quote come one guys just watch the movie enjoy it and say what u felt about it. briefly.
so ya it was a interesting take to Eureka seveN im don't really want to compare the anime and the movie, i saw them for what they were different takes at the story both were good in its own way liked the new animation of course and long hair Eureka all in all it was a nice watch. we still got the holding hand ending and looking off so that's GOOD>
on to the next anime or manga bye aas.
Jul 2, 2009 8:27 PM
Mar 2008
i was also disappointed, it just dint have what the eureka 7 had
euraka 7 brought up emotions, this dint aldo it was a good movie.
it very hard to make a parallel universe movie as good as the original, which was EPIC
Jul 2, 2009 9:35 PM

Aug 2008
snakekiller said:
it very hard to make a parallel universe movie as good as the original, which was EPIC

of course its hard to make parallel universe movie knowing that no matter what Bones does people are still gonna compare. like how our moms do with this like ur friend Johnny got a A in math and u didn;'t Fuck off mom.
Jul 2, 2009 10:22 PM

Dec 2007
I was wtf throughout the whole movie. But I highly enjoyed this movie, its a great standalone film, unless anyone is superly anal about the original story line; which I'm not, 5/5 on my part.

Jul 2, 2009 10:58 PM

Sep 2008
YEAH, Hap and Stoner got what they deserved! Now I only wish that Holland would die.

At first, I was disappointed because I believed that I would only see an old Anemone; luckily, I was wrong. I'm glad how the story kept forwarding itself, and there were rarely any dull parts for me. I had a feeling that there wouldn't be a totally happy ending, but Eureka really should have kept growing out her hair; she almost rivals the beauty of Anemone. <3

I was hoping that Ray and Charles would appear somewhere though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2009 12:40 AM

Jun 2009
The movie was very disappointing in my opinion, I was enjoying the movie just before Renton got locked inside the prison cell aboard the Gekko, then everything went down-hill until I saw the long-haired and naked Eureka (Bones, thank you for the fan service, you've made a happy man).The story was difficult to follow since it jumped from point to point with very little clarity, the dialogue was mediocre in some parts, and some of the reasoning behind the characters' actions was absurd. Then the characters, why were Nirvash and TheEnd freaking plushies? WTF?!, why were Hap and Stoner a pair of a-holes with very stupid reasoning?, why make Holland seem like a weak idiotic kid?, and where was the great character development that the series had?. And the end was way too open and somewhat confusing, why did Eureka lose her memories? Why?. Oh yeah, I hated the freaking recycled scenes from the series (why was Bones so lazy). However, I did like that the new Renton was less of a depressed little bitch, then that Eureka seemed more like a human, and Anemone wasn't crazy anymore in fact she seemed rather wise and mature. The music was superb as it was in the series and the new action scenes were pretty bad ass but they could not save the story. So, I would rather stick to the series, even if this movie was set in a parallel universe with a new mythos , it was executed rather poorly.
Jul 3, 2009 1:50 AM
Sep 2008
I'll give it a 9/10
if you gonna watch this forget about the 50 episode series and just try to enjoy this movie.
this beats a gay ass 1 hour and 30 minute recap of the series made into a movie, just try to enjoy the movie. The thing I like most about bones and there animations is the romance/action ratio I enjoy romance/action animes a lot and this is one of the best. The only thing that got me was why the hell did eureka lose her memories at the end other than that I enjoyed this movie a lot. stop thinking about the series too much and just try to enjoy the movie.
Jul 3, 2009 3:41 AM

May 2007
Stadtfeld said:

Its been said for a long time that it wasnt a continuation... So kinda your own fault for not reading up :P

As for how i liked the Movie? I thought it was good, although another ending that i would have liked to see more of to see how everything turned out.

[ Cartoons are for kids? Thats a hate crime! ]
Jul 3, 2009 5:40 AM

Oct 2008
Hard to judge this one and not echo what has already been said about this series being less then perfect. I'd just like to add a few things. One, the music by Naoki Sato this time around just wasn't as emotional. It definitely had a different feel though and in a way guess it was better that it did because this story also had a different feel to it.

The animation and the art in this film was fun. Not sure about the Puni Nirvash but it added a level of cuteness to the film. I was also flushed by the young Eureka and Renton.(They were just so kawaii it's hard not to smile when you first see them) my smile was almost immediate. The character designs where almost carbon copies of the original series, but I'm another big fan of Eureka's long blue hair at the end. There were slight differences but nothing major.

As for the story? Well at first it almost felt as if it could be a prequel. My brain kept trying to squeeze it into some sort of pre-time line, but after about the first twenty or thirty minutes, I noticed it was all in my head. It took me about half the movie to finally just sit back and enjoy it as something that was different, close that door in my mind to the tv series, and watch it as alternate version. Yes, I knew it was an alternate retelling but what can I say, my mind was playing tricks on me. Or was it Bones?

Ultimately IMO, I liked it!!! The battle scenes where great, the tiny Eureka, Renton and Nirvash were Kawaii, and the new interpretation of the Gekkostate state crew was different. Art, music and an interesting new interpretation got this series a 7/9 from me. It lost points because of issues already mentioned, like the condensed script which made this movie feel a bit rushed and confusing at times.
Orion1Jul 3, 2009 5:50 AM
Jul 3, 2009 8:16 AM

Jun 2009
hmmm the movie overall was alright

i was really hoping more on a continuation of the original series but i guess this would have to do...

it was great to have all the characters back, but i hated how they recycled a lot of the scenes from the series but just changed a few parts.

overall i liked it, it was like watching a whole new anime but with characters that i really love.
Jul 3, 2009 11:44 AM

Jan 2009
Oh you know that Hap turned evil when he opened his eyes...... I'm a little mad that everyone else in gekkostate didn't say much that and the story had to many WTF moments. 7/10

"Black holes are where God divided by zero"-Steven Wright
Jul 3, 2009 11:02 PM
Mar 2008
Chimasternmay said:
snakekiller said:

of course its hard to make parallel universe movie knowing that no matter what Bones does people are still gonna compare. like how our moms do with this like ur friend Johnny got a A in math and u didn;'t Fuck off mom.

LOL
the movie itself was great and enjoyable, but felt rushed and confusing
no character development, very good music i give it 7/9 I loved eureka with long hair
Jul 4, 2009 2:10 AM
Apr 2008
Huh. I just finished watching this and am quite at a loss for words. The movie itself, as a standalone, is not bad in its own right, not bad at all. However, being based off of Eureka 7 and its amazing source material, this movie fails to come up to par. For me anyways.
There were a fair share of problems that were in this movie. One that constantly got on my nerves was how recycled the movie felt. Many scenes were completely identical to those seen in the TV series, just far too many for my liking. Also, the plot wasn't compelling at all and character development was quite dead. This led to the plot feeling very rushed as it seemed that they tried to do too many things with only 120 minutes. However, I must say that what they tried to do with the plot and characters of the series is daring as a whole new story is made and not a continuation (even though I would prefer a continuation of sorts).
On the other hand, there were a number of positive notes. New animation is crisp and clean, only to be expected from BONES. The soundtrack is also noteworthy, staying true to its roots back in the series. Other smaller, certain, miscellaneous details are also quite nice such as more Devilfish action and more aerial combat in general.
Given the negatives to this movie, there are a few redeeming qualities. I give the movie a 7/10 as I honestly don't think it deserves a 6, but there are too many flaws to reach an 8.
Jul 4, 2009 4:51 AM

Feb 2009
I have one thing to say: Nirvash and TheEnd were actually pokemons. That's how they looked anyway. I thought this was Eureka Seven: Pocket Full Of Rainbows, not Eureka Seven meets Pokemon meets nonsense story meets crap characters. It dissapointed me at all levels. Let me mention that Eureka Seven is my all time favorite anime, so I guess you know the excitement I awaited this movie with... only to be brutally dissapointed by it. The story is almost nonexistent, cuz you can't understand shit. I think there are many stories there, all mashed up into something that resembles a pile of crap. I think all Eureka Seven fans know that the highlights of the original series were the characters and the relationships bewteen them. They were so well put together, they acted convincingly, the relationships between them were emotional and they were very likeable. In the movie the good part about them is... uhm... well... eeeeto... wait a sec, there is no good part. The characters are so weak that it makes me feel like I'm watching Duel Masters, when in fact it was Eureka Seven... sucky version. Renton was quite annoying, he was infatuated with Eureka from the get go in the movie with no explanation as to were this enormous love came from. I know that even in the series, why Renton loved Eureka so fiercely is never well explained in words, but we can see in the way they interact how it all starts and how the initial puppy love between them becomes sincere and true. In the movie... they seem like puppets that are 'meant' to be in love, but all they show to convince us of this are some mushy scenes, real crappy by my tastes. The origin of the Gekkostate given in the movie is truly hilarious and having no logic, none whatsoever. They wanted to reach Neverland? Yeah, the tooth fairy visits me every night, along with the easter bunny and Peter Pan and we all fly off to NeverEverLand, but that doesn't mean that if we make an anime about this it would be any good. It would be crap in fact, just like this movie.
To conclude, it was a real dissapointement for me and I actually had to watch a few episodes of Eureka Seven after watching it, just to get the awfull taste it left behind to go away. I really really hope they never think of another one, cuz one epic fail is quite enough.
Terry_IshinomoriJul 4, 2009 4:57 AM
Jul 4, 2009 6:02 AM

Jan 2008
I'll keep this short. I didn't like it.
Animation was great, music was great but story and characters? Train wreck .

Oh and on the contrary, I didn't mind that it wasn't a continuation or retelling of the original. It just wasn't executed well.
aeroJul 4, 2009 6:06 AM
Jul 4, 2009 11:45 AM

Jul 2007
Good to see a more feminine side of Eureka. Great movie IMO
Jul 4, 2009 2:47 PM

Aug 2008
aero said:

Oh and on the contrary, I didn't mind that it wasn't a continuation or retelling of the original. It just wasn't executed well.
Word by word. Only exception is that I found the music quite generic compared to the fantastic OST of the series. I borderline wasted my time.
Jul 4, 2009 9:46 PM
Mar 2008
i think we concluded that the movie was bad as Eureka 7 retailing, but good as a stand alone movie
long hair eureka was GOOD :D
Jul 4, 2009 10:31 PM

Jun 2007
wow that was disappointing. I was really looking forward to a great new eureka seven story but oh no they had to rush it and turn it into crap. I cant even continue on with this post....I'm just so disappointed in this.
Jul 5, 2009 2:51 AM
Mar 2008
So is the movie out and subbed already or do all of you speak japanese?

edit: nevermind I found it. will edit when done. I hope this is good I'm a HUGE E7 fan.
ChasexJul 5, 2009 2:54 AM
Jul 5, 2009 3:42 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
aero said:

this and also everything that Jacut said here

i gave it 7/10
:'(
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 5, 2009 10:50 AM

Nov 2007
I liked it, but im still confused as to what happened. I like it when stories make sense, even if it is in some absurd way (FLCL) but I cant quite piece together anything in the movie. I know it's got its own storyline but even seperate from the TV Series line or not it dosent make sense either way haha.

If you watch this make sure youve seen the TV series first as they dont bother explaning almost anything as far as the world setup goes. It was pretty though and worth 110 minutes if your an Eureka 7 fan. 7/10
Jul 5, 2009 12:44 PM

Aug 2008
Anyone knows the name of the ED song? I really really need it.^^ Thank you.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should I watch this before or after Season 2 (AO)?

RevyTwo-Hands - Feb 21, 2017

3 by Hermiyas »»
Mar 14, 2023 5:38 AM

» Am I the only person who thought the plot made no sense?

Tomu199 - Dec 8, 2017

1 by LelouchLagusa »»
Feb 20, 2021 7:01 PM

» A question.

Yandy - Dec 11, 2009

5 by DuniaDeltzu »»
Sep 3, 2014 3:50 PM

» The Title: Eureka Seven

matlai17 - Apr 17, 2012

2 by thatguy »»
Jun 24, 2013 7:48 PM

» CMX Review

taterhead - Sep 23, 2009

3 by Joe00123 »»
Apr 17, 2011 3:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.