Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2014 4:31 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that kinda escalated quickly. The performer of the episode was probably the most interesting par as opposed to mecha to me so far.

They nee to shed light on this soon though relating to its characters. Oh well at least ED song is pretty damn good.
Mar 5, 2017 10:46 PM

Jul 2010
Very strange. Kinda creeped me out, but I think the mesh of mecha and traditional Japanese elements will end up interesting. Will watch a few more episodes before I decide if I'll finish it...

The art style is very appealing, however, and the script is great as well.
Oct 27, 2018 11:26 AM

Nov 2011
Intriguing start. Nice production values too.

Hopefully we’ll get a bit more insight into what exactly is going on in the next episode.
Jul 23, 2019 6:07 AM
Oct 2018
OMG i never knew Steve Jobs got made into an anime villain!

The show looks promising, tho. Love this era.
Apr 7, 2021 1:52 PM

Jan 2010
Getting dropped in media res is pretty rough for shows like this, where all its rules, mechanics, traditions, and systems are made up for the anime. There is so much jargon, proper nouns, and people that it's hard to keep up. I have a slight idea of what's going on, but I'm guessing there's some sort of conspiracy involving human experimentation that may or may not result in mass destruction.
May 12, 2021 12:15 PM

Oct 2012
I blind bought the complete series boxset back in the day because it looked cool but never finished it because it was too convoluted for me to follow. Almost 20 years later I'm giving it another shot.

This show is incredibly dense. I found myself pausing and rewinding this episode a number of times just to understand what was going on and to figure out which character was which. It really doesn't hold your hand at all.

The underlying story is pretty interesting despite the hurdles you have to traverse in order to understand what the hell is going on. The geopolitical scope, the focus on the corporatization of military advancements, and the ritualistic summoning of some otherworldly force all make me want to continue on to see if they stick the landing.

The summoning/dance sequence was quite the spectacle, and I really loved how they depicted corporate espionage by having the 2 people being experimented on psychically battle one another.

The show has a ton of promise, but I imagine most people will tap out after being overloaded with exposition, plotlines, and characters right off the bat.
Nov 16, 2022 7:00 AM

Aug 2017
The amount of close-up shots here was...huge. I wonder if it'll keep being like that.
Jul 17, 2023 11:05 PM

Dec 2022
Yuushirou is definitely being used by these shady operators for some nefarious purpose. It's difficult to tell what, other than that they want to summon something through a stupid dance. Hopefully the next episodes will have more context, even if that comes in the form of exposition.

Shaded Horizon

Aug 15, 2023 2:36 PM
Aug 2016
SPOILER ALERT.
The first episode leaves us in a sea of ​​doubts. And it is difficult to understand what is happening. First we see a military scene in which they are testing how the soldiers who lead the MECA can have better combat ability through the ability to increase their heart rate. Later, how a certain group (doesn't even look like a government) is trying to control a ritual to get something we don't know about. However, we don't know if they are forcing those who perform the ritual to perform it or not. If the ritual is so useful to them, why do they threaten the head of the tribe that if it doesn't work, it's all over? And what characteristic does the ritual have, that means that only through it, they can achieve the POWER. On the other hand, we see how another group has under its control a person who seems to have done the ritual in the past and who "has" the power. However, she is able to reach the other bearer of power, let's call him that, and make him stop the ritual (usually the ritual, once started, escapes his own will). That means those performing the ritual, at least the wielders, don't know the consequences of what they're doing, because if they did, they either wouldn't have stopped it or started it in the first place. At the same time, if she could stop him, that means that the power is granted to a person, and that by some means, the power can be activated, (like ritual) but that power dosent dissapear, because she used it to prevent the ritual from ending. Therefore, the following questions are:
What exactly does power consist of?
Who are trying to get it
What can wielders of power do about it?
The power struggle between groups for power.
Nov 3, 2023 9:03 PM

Apr 2020
I like how a human willfully stopped doing the trance dance because a source warned him of a potential danger. He hesitated but maybe(?) made the right call. It's a crazy combination of eternal mysticism and the advancement of civilization which makes for a cool and entertaining art piece.
ow + nw = 90-2000s

More topics from this board

» are americans the bad guys in this?

Neostorm-X - Jul 8, 2023

1 by KitsuFrost »»
Nov 20, 2023 4:50 AM

Poll: » Gasaraki Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2014

4 by BaronLukis »»
Aug 16, 2023 12:34 PM

Poll: » Gasaraki Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2014

3 by BaronLukis »»
Aug 16, 2023 10:30 AM

Poll: » Gasaraki Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2014

3 by BaronLukis »»
Aug 16, 2023 9:35 AM

Poll: » Gasaraki Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2014

3 by BaronLukis »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.