Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Dec 10, 2021 1:48 AM
May 2020
so there is no rest time huh
Dec 16, 2021 4:37 PM

May 2019
When the angel is an eva...

Gendo is sadistic.

First time we see Shinji stand up to his father even if it means emotional and literal death.

Holy crap that was sooooo intense.

Jan 2, 2022 2:29 AM

Jun 2021
my mind literally went total blank at the ending scene of this epi.
tbh these characters r too depressed and too much burden on their shoulders.

🌸 DON'T GIVE UP UNTIL YOU REACH YOUR GOAL

🌸 SET BY - TheDeadmanII
Jan 3, 2022 8:21 AM

Jul 2021
I'm surprised Toji still made it out alive. Probably, Shinji will be psychologically shaken in the next episode as he found out that the other pilot was his friend Toji.
asdasdsadad
Jan 13, 2022 12:29 PM

Jan 2016
Shinji is dense. He sees Tohji acting strange and is not even a little suspicious of him being Eva 03's pilot? It wasn't even Shinji that made the choice to attack. It was his dad. I get how it would affect him though since a 14-year-old's brain isn't well developed enough for critical thinking. Why didn't Tohji die bro? That would have been more impactful.
Feb 9, 2022 7:43 AM

Feb 2021
Holy fuck! That was an intense episode. I legitimately thought that this was gonna be the end of Suzuhara.

The dummy plug had Rei's personality right? So how come is it so violent? Or is Rei secretly a gore-loving psychopath?

It was wrong of the crew to not let Shinji know that Suzuhara was in that thing. if he knew he would have tried to sever the connection between the Eva and the pod.

Well, Shinji sure has lost it. I mean it was pretty much a miracle that Suzuhara lived through it. What if he had died? The guilt would have destroyed Shinji psychologically.

Apr 8, 2022 8:42 PM

Dec 2021
another really good episode, wonder how the unit 03 went berserk. one thing that bugs me is letting toji live, imo he should've died
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 20, 2022 9:14 AM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch
Fortress_MaximusApr 20, 2022 9:35 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 27, 2022 7:07 AM

May 2017
Shinji's eva does a little bit of trolling
May 22, 2022 9:35 PM

Oct 2020
This episode was a wild ride start to finish

Even though he's a side character, I really liked getting to see how Toji processed being chosen as an Eva pilot -- we know he didn't necessarily join out of his own desire since he only agreed to pilot Unit 03 on the condition that his sister would be moved from the hospital to Nerv's medical department (assumedly to receive better medical care)

Misato rushing over to try and talk to Shinji after he disposed of the Eva was equally sweet and sad. It really shows how much she cares about his well being as opposed to someone like Gendo who didn't mind giving Shinji a front row seat to the destruction of Unit-03 after he refused to fight the Eva.

Anywho, I'm not entirely sure what happened with Unit-03 -- Ritsuko said it was an Angel but I'm not sure if she was referring to the Eva itself being an Angel or if she meant that an Angel had somehow stowed away inside of the Eva during transport -- we did see something freaky going on with the storm clouds while Unit-03 was being air-lifted to Japan so maybe that's when the Angel latched onto the Eva?

Side note: Kaji's little monologue in the apartment was sort of weird.. Like yeah of course you can't fully understand another person on every level, but it's natural for someone to be curious about their father, especially when said father is a mad scientist who doesn't even pay attention to his son.
Jul 1, 2022 8:53 AM

Dec 2007
i think it's safe to assume based on this episode, that the eva are human made angel. or something in that direction.

thought we will be surprised and it won't be toji. oh well. they didn't even tried to cover it.

kaji and shinji conversation xD
Aug 29, 2022 11:19 AM
Oct 2016
holy fuck what was that i am deeply traumatised
Sep 8, 2022 10:04 AM
Oct 2021
bruh idk what to say

simply amazing
Sep 28, 2022 3:26 PM
Aug 2022
DAMNNNNNN we're finally getting to the psychological part that i mainly begun watching evangelion for. it was already obvious that toji was the fourth child, and i'm pretty sure it was intentional for the audience to know. since it was supposed to be kept a secret from shinji.
an angel supposed invaded eva 03, so shinji, asuka, and rei were commanded to fight it. shinji didn't want to since he knew there was a kid in there. because of that shinji's dad cut off the syncing so the eva could fight on its own. my mouth was just agape for most of the battle because i knew that toji was inside there. especially when the eva crushed the thing pilot's sit in. hell i almosy shed some tears in this episode. that's for sure.
Oct 24, 2022 11:27 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dang. If this event doesn't absolutely push Shinji to the edge, it'll push him pretty damn close to it. Normally I find screaming in anime to be annoying, but Shinji's voice actress does a freaking good job at making it feel authentic.

It's already dark enough as it is, but in the manga,

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 26, 2022 8:37 AM

Aug 2020
fucking insane. jaw dropped the entire time.
Dec 31, 2022 11:31 PM

Jan 2022
So far throughout the series all Shinji has done is run and avoid things. Even when he isn't literally running away from piloting the Eva, hes running. Runs from his father, from responsibility, from Asuka, he always defaults to apologizes so he can run from conflict and finally it has caught up to him. He chose not to fight back because he didn't want to face that responsibility. He didn't want the possibility of someone else's blood on his hands so he did nothing, risking the lives of the entire planet. Shinji could have at least tried and Maybe would have found a way, but he did not. And now his friend's blood is on his hands.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 13, 2023 11:46 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 17, 2023 8:37 PM

Oct 2022
Absolutely the most heart-wrenching episode of the series.
Jan 25, 2023 3:38 PM

Dec 2010
This episode was the stuff of nightmares. I had totally forgotten that an EVA was contaminated in the original series too.

I love how the episode continued immediately where the previous one left off and the uneasy atmosphere flowed naturally into its horrific resolution.

Touji wasn't meant to die originally, this anime is the literal source material, not the other way around. If Anno wanted to murder a kid, but the TV format prevented him to, wouldn't he do it in the Rebuild anyway?
Killing him may sound worse at a first glance, but just imagine yourself becoming responsible for pinning someone to a bed for the rest of their life? Is it any less scary? Not to me anyway, while the ghost of someone you kill may chase you for the rest of your life, a living person's suffering would haunt me even worse. 

tiaamyom said:
we did see something freaky going on with the storm clouds while Unit-03 was being air-lifted to Japan so maybe that's when the Angel latched onto the Eva?
You're genius, I totally didn't connect the dots there. Albeit Angels appear randomly wherever, I was still surprised it just infected EVA-03 out of nowhere.

NorthmostIsle said:
So far throughout the series all Shinji has done is run and avoid things. Even when he isn't literally running away from piloting the Eva, hes running. Runs from his father, from responsibility, from Asuka, he always defaults to apologizes so he can run from conflict and finally it has caught up to him. He chose not to fight back because he didn't want to face that responsibility. He didn't want the possibility of someone else's blood on his hands so he did nothing, risking the lives of the entire planet. Shinji could have at least tried and Maybe would have found a way, but he did not. And now his friend's blood is on his hands.
Very insightful, Kaji actually brought this about him just last episode. 
MeritasJan 25, 2023 3:42 PM
Feb 5, 2023 10:57 PM

Mar 2016
Really thought the pilots would've been tought some basic hand to hand combat aspart of their training since they've faced hamnoid angels before. They can handle mecha pistols, rifles, snipers, launchers, but Shinji can't break free from a strangle-hold. Once again it felt like he's suddenly been made less competent than we know he should be. But to all those edgy comments calling Shinji a pussbag, please stop watching this and go back to your simple-minded shounens. There's clearly too much thinking here for you lot to handle.

Feels like Shinji can't catch a break with all the mind-breaking things happening to him. Busted arm, skull and shot through the chest in earlier episodes, 16 hours stuck in a void of nothing before the EVA went erserk and broke free (during which he had a major isolation braintrip), now he saw his EVA go under dummy control and absolutey tear another EVA apart, even going so far as to crush the entry plug. Guessing all the operations team are going to be more weary of Ikari from here on. The dummy wasn't a sophisticated auto-pilot, but more a manual activation of berserk...and he let the EVA go further than needed. Quite the typical outcome since Shinji said he'd recently begun to understand his father more. Kaji was right, the dellusion he had is shattered and hopefully he will stop chasing the praise of a man who shows no value over the lives of others should they hamper his plans.

Asuka really needs to look in the damn mirror when saying others don't know how to interact with people. Too busy moaning to Shinji to pay attention and not get taken out instantly. If she's going to talk the talk, she needs to start walking the walk first.
Feb 12, 2023 9:26 AM

Jul 2017
God damn this anime loves to torture the poor Shinji i feel so bad for him, he cannot catch a break. Now probably has PTSD on top of his on going depression. my innocent human needs therapy as soon as possible
Feb 12, 2023 12:13 PM

Jul 2022
O H S H I T .........
Feb 14, 2023 11:23 AM
Mar 2019
Very powerful episode, looking forward to seeing Shinji's reaction to the events of the episode.
Feb 21, 2023 3:06 PM
Jul 2022
Such a strong episode. Shinji definitely going to kill himself. Many triggers. Still missed Asuka screen time. RIP Toji (didn't knew his name until this episode).
Mar 4, 2023 12:29 PM
Oct 2020
that one scene where eva 01 smashes eva 03 was awesome holy shit
May 23, 2023 8:45 AM
Feb 2019
Shinji's scream at end of the episode is still ringing in my ears
May 23, 2023 9:17 PM
Feb 2021
The fight between Unit 01 and Unit 04 is fucking something else. The animation is goddamn incredible and so is the coloring. It's dark without feeling muddled, like they actually use an entirely darker color palate. Idk why Gendo tried to kill Toji, guess he's just a dick
May 27, 2023 3:39 PM
Apr 2020
Oh my god literally what on earth just happened
Jun 1, 2023 12:44 PM
Apr 2015
its getting very compelling
Jul 27, 2023 1:04 AM
May 2020
dads are the worst
Nov 22, 2023 12:54 PM

Jun 2020
Its always gonna be funny for me looking at how much people called and still call Shinji names. We talking about a child whos father is a asshole who didint care about him all his life and his mother died when he was little.Yea of course he is gonna run from things like wtf people expect. They give him less than a minute to choose to fight a Eva of course he gonna say I dont wanna it one thing killing angels but it another thing getting comand to kill a person from your father.Especially asking to kill a 14 years old. The fact that Touji is alive is a miracle I guess. But like after this we can forget about Shinji's mental health for good.
Jan 8, 8:00 AM
Nov 2023
oh no.........................
Jan 13, 10:49 PM

Dec 2022
The third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs of water, and they became blood. for they have shed the blood of your saints and prophets, and you have given them blood to drink as they deserve." And I heard the altar respond: "Yes, Lord God Almighty, true and just are your judgments."
Feb 22, 7:09 PM

Mar 2022
God that episode was so brutal and gory there was nothing that Shinji do but watch as his EVA just completely destroyed that other EVA with the dummy plug activated. I didn’t think Touji had survived that but man that last scream from Shinji was not only chilling but it certainly means that he’s lost any shred of faith that he had in his father.

Seriously what was Gendo thinking just have his own son destroy that EVA even though there was already a pilot still inside? The guy literally has no regard for others, he just wants to worry about achieving his goals whatever they are at this very moment. No wonder Misato was having trouble telling Shinji who the pilot was, or alternatively, she KNEW that Touji WAS the pilot for that very reason and might’ve made Shinji do something rash. That being said, this episode is certainly the darkest I’ve seen for this anime. And it’s only going to get much darker as I progress to the end. Really good episode regardless if I do say so myself.
Mar 7, 6:15 PM
Feb 2024
Commander Ikari is a monster
Mar 8, 5:28 AM

Jul 2017
so brutal and intense, this episode broke me.
the tensions built during this and the last episode reach very high levels, culminating with the destruction of unit 03 y the hands of the dummy plug.
this will leave a very deep scar in shinji's mind, seeing toji inside that entry plug, even if he isn't guilty.
his scream at the end was so sad.
i liked a lot rei's hesitation in following orders, she can't shoot knowing that she could kill toji.
also the scene where the class rep. is cooking waiting the next day to eat with toji while he almost gets killed is heartbreaking.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Mar 9, 1:32 AM

Apr 2016
You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!! What the hell man?!?!

It took me a minute to realize Misato wasn't in charge, that it was Shinji's dad and what that could mean. That it could mean this shocked me.
Apr 4, 5:50 PM

May 2015
Ouch. I vaguely remembered that this moment was supposed to be different from the manga, but for some reason I thought it was the other way around and totally expected Touji to die... (I read it 7 years ago so yeah...). Just checked with the manga, and another difference is that Shinji knew who was in Eva03 beforehand... damn, both versions hit hard tbh. Either way it's a massive trauma for Shinji.

And it wasn't my imagination, the pacing in the manga is way faster... 18/26 episode = 40/97 chapter. No wonder the first half of anime seemed to be dragging and kinda difficult to watch through.
TenApr 4, 5:56 PM
Apr 7, 6:11 AM
Jul 2023
Oh…. So that’s what the dummy plug does. Basically forced berserk state?
- You gotta feel bad for Shinji, no one told him, and then he had no control of his Eva either way.
- Damn, how tf did Tohji survive that
- This angel was interesting, it’s kinda like the one that took over the Magi systen
Apr 16, 5:19 PM
Apr 2023
Jesus Christ that took a dark turn. Rather surprising that it became so dark and gory all of a sudden. Was really cool but mostly shocking and just sad to see Shinji try to stop it. Also of course EVA 3, another giant explosion, Mommy Misato almost dying and Tohji confirmed to be the Fourth Children.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Yesterday

51 by WaffleMaster89 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

245 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 17, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

810 by _reii017 »»
Apr 16, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

151 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 15, 5:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.