Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 8, 2014 2:58 PM

Dec 2009
GEO9875 said:
On topic: Checked the dub of Steins;gate and just like with cowboy bebop, is a dub that exceeds the original in so many ways, Okabe with its intellectuals remarks is one of my favorite things of this dub, it even made me kinda depressed to watch the sub later, funimation has had alot of hit and misses (sadly lately it has had lots of misses in a row imo) however, this is one of funimations biggest hit.

FUNimation has a lot of misses? And are inconsistent?

Who's a more consistent producer of quality dubs, in your opinion?
May 11, 2014 3:40 AM

Jul 2013
About half of the people I've asked about the Little Busters! dub told me to stay away from it and the other half said the total opposite. So, I watched the first episode in the dub to see which side I'd take. It doesn't sound either too bad or too good. Just meh...

But then at the near end of the episode, I hear honorifics being used. I just noped the fuck out and I'll watch the rest of the episodes subbed instead.

So I see it was directed by a guy who goes by the name "Christopher Ayres" who is very infamous in this club. I kind of liked the Kokoro Connect dub(which was honestly my first dub directed by him), but in LB!, I'm starting to see why people hate him.
ThisNameSucksMay 11, 2014 7:36 AM
May 11, 2014 2:15 PM

Jul 2010
You dropped the English dub of a show just because they used honorifics? Yes, I can see why that'd be an issue, but I think dropping the whole show just because of that is a bit extreme. Maybe it changes later on. Maybe it gets better.
May 11, 2014 3:26 PM
Jan 2008
Firechick12012 said:
You dropped the English dub of a show just because they used honorifics? Yes, I can see why that'd be an issue, but I think dropping the whole show just because of that is a bit extreme. Maybe it changes later on. Maybe it gets better.

Oh yeah, extremes like that I can't really tolerate. I prefer to give dubs a chance in general even if they do have a minor shortcoming, and if it turns out to be bad, well, so be it. Then again, I think whether a dub is good OR bad depends on the viewer.
May 11, 2014 3:34 PM

Mar 2014
JTurner said:
Firechick12012 said:

Oh yeah, extremes like that I can't really tolerate. I prefer to give dubs a chance in general even if they do have a minor shortcoming, and if it turns out to be bad, well, so be it. Then again, I think whether a dub is good OR bad depends on the viewer.

Sometimes dubs will include honorifics to match the mouth flaps, but to me honorifics in English doesn't sound right, it's like hearing Naruto say "Dattebayo" in English. The same can be said for battle cries like " Chesto", "Ora ora ora", "Seiyaaa Sei" or "Hut" (ala Link of Zelda series).
SwatKat1990May 11, 2014 3:40 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2014 4:09 PM

Dec 2009
I'm genuinely surprised at people's reactions. The way people have been acting is as if honorifics were the spawn of Satan or something. I half expected him to be chastised for just dropping the dub and not burning his hard drive or something.

(I still have no problem with them, personally. They make the dub very slightly less accessible, but so do Japanese names and cultural references, which I'm all for keeping intact.)
May 11, 2014 9:13 PM

Jul 2013
It just feels really weird listening to people speak in English mixed with Japanese words and phrases. Though I don't mind it as long as they don't use it on every episode.

Besides, that purple haired girl or whatever whom Rin met in the near episode felt like her English voice was a miscast or something. It didn't really seem like it fits her. Reminds me of Kyou in the Clannad dub.
May 11, 2014 10:25 PM

Dec 2009
ThisNameSucks said:
It just feels really weird listening to people speak in English mixed with Japanese words and phrases. Though I don't mind it as long as they don't use it on every episode.

Besides, that purple haired girl or whatever whom Rin met in the near episode felt like her English voice was a miscast or something. It didn't really seem like it fits her. Reminds me of Kyou in the Clannad dub.

Honorifics could easily be argued to be a part of the names, though. People don't complain about a character named "Kenshin" instead of "Kenny," so I don't understand the problem with "Kenshin-kun" or whatever.
May 12, 2014 12:17 AM

Aug 2012
My stance on Japanese mixed with English hasn't changed. Even then, there's still more reasons to not watch Little Busters! dubbed than just that.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
May 12, 2014 12:09 PM

Oct 2013
XTApocalypse said:
GEO9875 said:
On topic: Checked the dub of Steins;gate and just like with cowboy bebop, is a dub that exceeds the original in so many ways, Okabe with its intellectuals remarks is one of my favorite things of this dub, it even made me kinda depressed to watch the sub later, funimation has had alot of hit and misses (sadly lately it has had lots of misses in a row imo) however, this is one of funimations biggest hit.

FUNimation has a lot of misses? And are inconsistent?

Who's a more consistent producer of quality dubs, in your opinion?
Well, Even though they are sadly not around anymore, in my opinion almost every dub from bandai had something to like, example like Cowboy Bebop, big o, code geass or haruhi ect.

I just though that imo the hanagai and robotics;notes as well as in some aspects of the Attack on titan dub range from meh to awesome so thats why i think they have been inconsitent as of late with some of its titles while you had others like the psycho pass dub, space dandy simuldub and steins;gate dub which were awesome, though i still think funimation is one or the best dubbing companies unlike *cough*sentai*cough*
May 12, 2014 12:18 PM

Dec 2009
Something you dislike about the Attack on Titan dub thus far?
May 12, 2014 12:28 PM

Oct 2013
XTApocalypse said:
Something you dislike about the Attack on Titan dub thus far?
So far from the 2 episodes ive watched i feel that eren's voice sounds kinda meh, mainly in the parts when he is angry and shouting, it just feels really forced. Armin is kinda meh while Mikasa is okay. Now i think that the voices of the adults are way better acted and very good quality (eg eren's mom and some of the people screaming getting eaten) Now i just hope that with episode 3, when get introduced to eren armin and mikasa as adults that we will have more smooth acting so i still have hope for this dub.
May 12, 2014 1:38 PM

Dec 2009
There's not much of the show where everyone isn't shouting forcedly. It's a very scream-y plot. If anything, I'd personally say the adults are worse than Eren; all the men's voices just kind of blend together. But the constant screaming is the fault of the show's writing, not of the voice actors, so I don't hold it against them.
May 12, 2014 10:37 PM
Jan 2008
Watched the first episode of ATTACK ON TITAN. So far the dub is pretty good, and no voices bothered me. Bryce Papenbrook earned my respect as Kirito in SAO, and he's fine here as the protagonist Eren (although at least in the beginning he DOES tread into "trying to sound younger" territory, but it's not that bad. Everybody else seemed well suited to their parts and I had no issues with the writing. I can tell the difference between good and bad dubbing, and this is pretty good so far. Not perfect (no dub is), but more than listenable.
May 16, 2014 6:47 PM

Nov 2007
XTApocalypse said:
ThisNameSucks said:

Honorifics could easily be argued to be a part of the names, though. People don't complain about a character named "Kenshin" instead of "Kenny," so I don't understand the problem with "Kenshin-kun" or whatever.

The good thing is that they are pronouncing the Japanese words and names more accurately, well, sometimes.
May 23, 2014 10:08 PM

Mar 2012
Watched Perfect Blue dubbed. Pretty good stuff. Much better than I expected it to be. Probably one of Bridget Hoffman's best performances
May 24, 2014 5:23 PM

Dec 2009
SeibaaHomu said:
Watched Perfect Blue dubbed. Pretty good stuff. Much better than I expected it to be. Probably one of Bridget Hoffman's best performances

Really? I didn't think she played Mima very well at all. In fact I'd say there were a lot of subpar elements of that dub. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie--I just think the dub could have been better.

I'm surprised someone else in this club has seen it at all, though.
May 24, 2014 6:27 PM

Nov 2007
She was okay in it. Unfortunately her on-disc interview is voiceover only.
May 24, 2014 6:39 PM
Jan 2008
SeibaaHomu said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that the Perfect Blue dub is a genuinely good and watchable effort. No voices grated on me in that one, honestly, and I found nothing wrong with the adaptation script OR the performances.
May 25, 2014 10:19 AM

Mar 2014
Gundam Unicorn, Keith Silverstein's performance as Full Frontal was just outstanding.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2014 8:52 AM

Aug 2012
I started watching Rurouni Kenshin a couple of weeks ago since it's on Crunchyroll. For an 11 year old dub, it sounds pretty good, but its biggest flaw that stood out immediately is when the characters are trying to sound dramatic by yelling.
May 27, 2014 2:17 PM
Jan 2008
Watched episode 1 of <i>Fractale</i> last night, and so far I have yet to find anything remotely compelling about it. I'm not overly fond of Brina Palecina or Caitlin Glass' performances as the lead characters either; while both are fine actresses, both sound very off as these two 13-year-old kids. Get actual children to do these parts instead and it would have been better.

THe other characters sounded fine though, but not anything that makes me want to keep on going. The first episode seems to me like a retread of <i>Laputa</i> (and there are PLENTY of Miyazaki references in the beginning) and <i>Nadia</i> but less compelling. Both did miles better of getting the viewer gripped from the start. This episode is too slow to have the same effect.
May 28, 2014 12:18 PM

Oct 2013
Just watched manga's dub of fist of the north star (1984)
Really good, to bad they didnt finished dubbing it.
May 29, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2014
The first 13 episodes of Attack on Titan leaked on the Internet and I checked it out and I gotta say this is one of Funi's best dubs to date. The dub started out pretty average for the first 4 episodes but by the 5th I was sold. I have to give props to Josh Grelle as Armin. His scream in episode 5
was really bone chilling and in episode 10 when he said that speech.

Byrce Papenbrook improves as Eren. At first he sounded all over the place but he's sounding great now. Also Matthew Mercer as Levi was perfect. I hope the dub stays consistent from now on since this is Funimation's chance to get back on track after some lacking dubs lately.
May 29, 2014 10:02 PM

Dec 2009
NoelAkemi said:
Byrce Papenbrook improves as Eren. At first he sounded all over the place but he's sounding great now. Also Matthew Mercer as Levi was perfect. I hope the dub stays consistent from now on since this is Funimation's chance to get back on track after some lacking dubs lately.

I still don't understand people who say that. I've heard nothing but pure gold from them. I can't think of a single poor FUNimation dub.
May 30, 2014 3:15 AM

Mar 2012
I decided to start watching Amnesia and since I heard the show was garbage (Which I have since found out is right on the money) I didn't really care that the dub was by Sentai. Besides, when watching a show like that a bit of unintentional humour from the English dub might make it more tolerable. And guess what? It did end up sucking.

The lead character has literally no personality yet despite how easy she should be to play her VA still can't bring the goods with every single one of her lines said in the same quiet breathy tone no matter what emotion she's supposed to give off.

Some characters underact, others overact, but what remains constant is that every single performance is incredibly monotone. And to add to the monotone acting you've got yet another Sentai signature in the form of awkward dialogue that barely resembles human speech.

Although I have to admit the stiff delivery of bad dialogue gives off a few unintentionally humorous gems.

"Aren't you supposed to be getting ready for your exams?"
"AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO BE SHUTTING YOUR FACE"

I had one guy claim that the only reason people don't like Sentai is because they saw the original first. Putting aside that I could already call bullshit on that on the count of the fact that most of the Sentai dubs I've seen were without seeing the original first, but this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt to me that the guy was just talking out of his ass.
May 30, 2014 5:40 AM

Dec 2009
SeibaaHomu said:
I had one guy claim that the only reason people don't like Sentai is because they saw the original first. Putting aside that I could already call bullshit on that on the count of the fact that most of the Sentai dubs I've seen were without seeing the original first, but this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt to me that the guy was just talking out of his ass.

I'd cite that as the reason a lot of people don't claim to like dubs, but Sentai exclusively?

...ehhhhh. Not so much.
May 30, 2014 5:47 AM

Mar 2014
XTApocalypse said:
SeibaaHomu said:

I'd cite that as the reason a lot of people don't claim to like dubs, but Sentai exclusively?

...ehhhhh. Not so much.

Personally, Sentai's best dub was Persona 4: The Animation.
May 30, 2014 7:33 AM

Mar 2012
XTApocalypse said:
SeibaaHomu said:

...ehhhhh. Not so much.
Yes, that attitude is definitely prevalent within the anime community.

Sure Space Dandy's dub is absolutely fantastic but the reason why it doesn't get nearly as much scrutiny as the AoT dub has nothing to do with its quality. Since the English dub came first that version is how a lot of English speaking anime fans heard it first. And as such they had no attachment to the original voices so comparisons were near impossible.

Titan on the other hand was pretty much THE gateway series for people watching anime with subtitles. I mean, the show was ridiculously popular even before the dub even came out.

And the same thing's happening with the Kill la Kill dub at the moment. I often hear people say stuff like "I thought it was going to be as good as Gurren Lagann's dub but this just sounds shit". Coincidentally, these same people had seen Gurren Lagann in English first and Kill la Kill in Japanese first.

But in Sentai's case... nah, they're just really bad in general. Even when it comes to their casting choices you don't even really need to have seen the original to tell that the obviously middle aged man behind the mic trying really hard to sound like a teenager just wasn't the right choice for the role.

SwatKat1990 said:
Personally, Sentai's best dub was Persona 4: The Animation.
Ironically, Sentai/Seraphim didn't even produce that dub. They just outsourced it Bang Zoom because they did the game.
SeibaaHomuMay 30, 2014 7:37 AM
May 30, 2014 12:54 PM

Jan 2014
XTApocalypse said:
NoelAkemi said:

I still don't understand people who say that. I've heard nothing but pure gold from them. I can't think of a single poor FUNimation dub.

They don't have downright bad dubs but every dubbing studio have hits and misses. Funi's has a number of misses lately with Haganai, Psycho Pass and Future Diary. All which were average roles. Even the AOT dub wasn't all that great at first but it's improving.

Bang Zoom on the other hand is on a roll since last year with their SAO, Fate/ Zero and Blue Exorcist dub. Maybe Funi's on a rocky road lately due to some of their VAs such as Todd Haberkorn and Cherami Leigh are now L.A. Based.
May 30, 2014 9:25 PM

Dec 2009
Haven't seen any of those shows except for AoT, which hasn't changed in the slightest from episode one to present.
Jun 5, 2014 5:44 AM

Jul 2013
Baccano! was amazing.

And Durarara!! was great too but somehow, I don't like Mikado and Masaomi's voices at first but I got used to them. Baccano!'s Isaac and Miria made an appearance but I didn't like how the VA's were different from the ones used for Baccano! so it sounded weird to me.
Jun 9, 2014 12:59 PM

Sep 2009
Most of FUNi's modern dubs aren't bad so much as just average, and recycle the same casts and performances excessively. It gets boring.

That said, they still produce some absolute gems. Baccano is my 2nd favourite dub, period, for example.

Still, kind of ironic that laziness is the biggest complain with modern FUNi dubs, since the biggest complaint with their first dubs is that they tried too hard.
Jun 9, 2014 2:39 PM

Mar 2014
Lindle said:
Most of FUNi's modern dubs aren't bad so much as just average, and recycle the same casts and performances excessively. It gets boring.

That said, they still produce some absolute gems. Baccano is my 2nd favourite dub, period, for example.

Still, kind of ironic that laziness is the biggest complain with modern FUNi dubs, since the biggest complaint with their first dubs is that they tried too hard.

Amazing, it seems somebody has been paying attention. Funimation is located in Texas and the main reason why they reuse the same actors is because the actors that work for them are non-union, and Texas is a Right-to-work state which prohibits any union work. Add to this they almost NEVER use other unions like Bang Zoom, Ocean Studios or the NYAV Post. Personally I'd like more dubs to be done in New York and Vancouver because they haven't dubbing as much as Texas and California, Vancouver is where Ocean Studios is located, and the NYAV Post is located in New York.
SwatKat1990Jun 9, 2014 3:00 PM
Jun 9, 2014 2:58 PM

Aug 2012
Lindle said:

Depends on what kind of series they are dubbing and how much they think it will sell based on its content. A long-ish (2 cour or more) action series might get more time and a bigger budget than, say, a 1-cour harem hijinks that is very likely to instead be a training series for new directors, writers, and actors.
Jun 9, 2014 4:13 PM

Sep 2009
SwatKat1990 said:
Lindle said:

Amazing, it seems somebody has been paying attention. Funimation is located in Texas and the main reason why they reuse the same actors is because the actors that work for them are non-union, and Texas is a Right-to-work state which prohibits any union work. Add to this they almost NEVER use other unions like Bang Zoom, Ocean Studios or the NYAV Post. Personally I'd like more dubs to be done in New York and Vancouver because they haven't dubbing as much as Texas and California, Vancouver is where Ocean Studios is located, and the NYAV Post is located in New York.
No, no, no. Nobody said anything that contradicted that. But having understandable circumstances for not being good doesn't stop it from not being good.

gamer2710 said:
I started watching Rurouni Kenshin a couple of weeks ago since it's on Crunchyroll. For an 11 year old dub, it sounds pretty good, but its biggest flaw that stood out immediately is when the characters are trying to sound dramatic by yelling.
It's surprising that you say "for an 11 year old dub". Isn't that around the time that ADV were at the peak of their game?
Jun 9, 2014 5:16 PM

Dec 2009
FUNimation has a million bajillion actors and actresses and they employ a very wide variety of them. Most all of their dubs are entirely unique and very well-performed. I think you've just had a poor luck of the draw, Lindle. As for NYAV Post and Bang Zoom and such, FUNimation doesn't outsource because their resources for voice talent is so massive that they don't need to. It's a competitive market, and you can't blame them for playing the game, especially when their own talent is no inherently worse than those studios. If you're upset because you feel like those other studios aren't getting enough recognition, blame the market, and blame their normal employers (like Aniplex) for not being able to survive in it. Don't blame FUNimation, who are just trying to deliver a quality product and get the most bang for their buck.

Also, how is it at all surprising that he mentioned an 11-year-old dub? ADV and their prime has nothing to do with it. 11 years ago was around the time that the norm for dubs was Sailor Moon and Ocean DBZ. Mediocre acting and lots of editing. Gamer is entirely accurate in saying that ADV's Kenshin was a good dub given the time period, but the acting just doesn't hold up to modern standards.
XTApocalypseJun 9, 2014 5:20 PM
Jun 9, 2014 6:06 PM

Sep 2009
XTApocalypse said:
FUNimation has a million bajillion actors and actresses and they employ a very wide variety of them.

Yeah, but few of them have range, is what I'm getting at.

XTApocalypse said:
Also, how is it at all surprising that he mentioned an 11-year-old dub? ADV and their prime has nothing to do with it. 11 years ago was around the time that the norm for dubs was Sailor Moon and Ocean DBZ. Mediocre acting and lots of editing. Gamer is entirely accurate in saying that ADV's Kenshin was a good dub given the time period, but the acting just doesn't hold up to modern standards.

Yes it does. ADV were producing a lot of great dubs around that time, so I don't see why it's surprising that an 11-year old dub would be that good.

Also holy crap I didn't realise Kenshin was ADV. That's surprising.
Jun 9, 2014 6:18 PM

Dec 2009
No, it doesn't. It would if he'd said "for an ADV dub." Then, he would be comparing it to the rest of ADV's work. But he didn't. He said "for an 11-year-old dub," meaning he was comparing it to the general body of dubs of that era.

As for range, it's not so much that the actors don't have it, it's that they don't employ it as much as they used to. It's something that tends to be discouraged in the business--acting ability using your own voice trumps the number of different voices you can do in the market these days. Yuri Lowenthal wrote all about it in one of his books. Just compare Chris Sabat's work in DBZ to what he's done lately--most of his recent stuff sounds pretty same-y. Heck, you can tell he had trouble going back and doing the Kuwabara voice when they recently acquired and dubbed the first Yu Yu Hakusho movie and OVA's.

Not that I'm saying I agree with this philosophy. I love hearing actors perform a variety of voices, like Sabat in DBZ or Dobson in InuYasha. I'm just saying that, in the field of voice acting, it's something that's generally frowned upon, and that's why you don't hear that range as much anymore. It's not at all to say that they don't have it. Once again, FUNimation has SO MANY ACTORS that it really doesn't matter if they have range or not because they can always find someone to voice any character. Rather than having Actor X voice characters A, B, and C, they can easily just get three actors. Cases like DBZ and InuYasha mentioned above came about due to a lack of actors, and are still employed by smaller studios like FUNimation's competitors for the same reason--not because they want to, but because it's cheaper and they have to.
Jun 9, 2014 6:58 PM

Sep 2009
XTApocalypse said:
No, it doesn't. It would if he'd said "for an ADV dub." Then, he would be comparing it to the rest of ADV's work. But he didn't. He said "for an 11-year-old dub," meaning he was comparing it to the general body of dubs of that era.
I know, I'm just saying a lot of quality dubs came out in that era. The ADV thing is just an example, that's all.

XTApocalypse said:
As for range, it's not so much that the actors don't have it, it's that they don't employ it as much as they used to. It's something that tends to be discouraged in the business--acting ability using your own voice trumps the number of different voices you can do in the market these days. Yuri Lowenthal wrote all about it in one of his books. Just compare Chris Sabat's work in DBZ to what he's done lately--most of his recent stuff sounds pretty same-y. Heck, you can tell he had trouble going back and doing the Kuwabara voice when they recently acquired and dubbed the first Yu Yu Hakusho movie and OVA's.

Not that I'm saying I agree with this philosophy. I love hearing actors perform a variety of voices, like Sabat in DBZ or Dobson in InuYasha. I'm just saying that, in the field of voice acting, it's something that's generally frowned upon, and that's why you don't hear that range as much anymore. It's not at all to say that they don't have it. Once again, FUNimation has SO MANY ACTORS that it really doesn't matter if they have range or not because they can always find someone to voice any character. Rather than having Actor X voice characters A, B, and C, they can easily just get three actors. Cases like DBZ and InuYasha mentioned above came about due to a lack of actors, and are still employed by smaller studios like FUNimation's competitors for the same reason--not because they want to, but because it's cheaper and they have to.

That's a shame.
Jun 9, 2014 8:26 PM

Dec 2009
Lindle said:
I know, I'm just saying a lot of quality dubs came out in that era. The ADV thing is just an example, that's all.

You think so? There's a pretty universal consensus that the vast majority of dubs from that era were terrible. At the very least, when you say "a lot," you can't mean a majority, can you? As in, do you believe there were more good dubs than bad ones at the time?
Jun 9, 2014 8:30 PM

Sep 2009
XTApocalypse said:
Lindle said:

You think so? There's a pretty universal consensus that the vast majority of dubs from that era were terrible. At the very least, when you say "a lot," you can't mean a majority, can you? As in, do you believe there were more good dubs than bad ones at the time?
No, but by and large I tend to not qualify eras of anything by "good vs. bad". When talking retrospectively, people will always cherry-pick if they weren't actually there.

I tend to just judge it purely in quantity of good things produced instead.
Jun 9, 2014 9:32 PM

Dec 2009
Lindle said:

That sounds like the definition of cherry-picking to me.

Anyway, "good vs. bad" is always subjective, whether it be an era or a single series. If I were to say it's unfair to make generalizations (provided you acknowledge that they are, in fact, generalizations), it would be like saying it's unfair to have an opinion on the quality of a show.

On that note, I can't really think of many dubs I would consider very good from the era, myself--that is, ones that were taken at least somewhat seriously and a very honest effort made at them. Slayers, while a very fun series, started off with a kind of choppy dub. Yu Yu Hakusho and Fruits Basket were around that time, though, weren't they? If so, I'd definitely call those good dubs. Ranma... kind of in the same boat as Slayers.
Jun 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Sep 2009
XTApocalypse said:
Lindle said:

That sounds like the definition of cherry-picking to me.

Kind of, but not exactly. I mean, nobody's gonna remember most of the bad stuff anyway if you go back that far, and the bad is easily avoidable. The bad stuff of the present is much harder to dodge.

Essentially, if you're only comparing the good stuff of one era to the good stuff of another, it all evens out.
Jun 10, 2014 6:24 AM

Mar 2012
Watched Oblivion Island with the English dub. Really good voice work from Christine Cabanos and Cassandra Lee even if the CG animation style caused issues with matching the lip flaps.

Still, what I find really weird is that it's licensed by Funimation in the US but they outsourced it to Bang Zoom. That just really confuses me. Why did they do that? Did Production I.G. request it or something?
Jun 14, 2014 6:36 AM

Mar 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
Watched Oblivion Island with the English dub. Really good voice work from Christine Cabanos and Cassandra Lee even if the CG animation style caused issues with matching the lip flaps.

Still, what I find really weird is that it's licensed by Funimation in the US but they outsourced it to Bang Zoom. That just really confuses me. Why did they do that? Did Production I.G. request it or something?

Indeed, Funimation almost NEVER outsources anything to other unions, but that surprised me. But there was another case where they outsourced something, they outsourced Black Lagoon:Roberta's Blood Trail to Ocean Studios.
SwatKat1990Jun 14, 2014 6:40 AM
Jun 14, 2014 4:36 PM

Dec 2009
Roberta's Blood Trail had a precedent, though. FUNimation knows their shit--changing the entire cast between a series and its sequel is sure to piss off fans. Outsourcing it to Bang Zoom was pretty much obligatory, and I'm sure they planned on it from the moment they picked up the license.
Jun 14, 2014 4:53 PM

Mar 2014
XTApocalypse said:
Roberta's Blood Trail had a precedent, though. FUNimation knows their shit--changing the entire cast between a series and its sequel is sure to piss off fans. Outsourcing it to Bang Zoom was pretty much obligatory, and I'm sure they planned on it from the moment they picked up the license.

Have you seen Roberta's Blood Trail?
Jun 14, 2014 5:39 PM

Dec 2009
No? What does that have to do with anything?
Jun 14, 2014 6:23 PM

Mar 2014
XTApocalypse said:
No? What does that have to do with anything?

I was asking have you seen it or not.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.