Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2007 4:12 AM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A bit of a slow ep where yuuko comes to terms with the loss of Amasawa and Denskue. Has a nice touch of philosophy on what makes something real, is it that you can touch it or is it the emotions that it brings out in you. All n all a good episode, but not the best.

Dec 16, 2007 5:19 AM
Nov 2007
So that's what the circles were. I'd almost forgotten about them. And they're right in front of you the whole time, at the beginning of every episode. D'oh!
And it's nice to see Daichi coming to the rescue of Fumie, instead of just being an ass, even if his fly was open. XD
Dec 16, 2007 12:06 PM

Dec 2007
Wahhh, noooooo Densuke's dead! Still it was pretty sad, even though it was a virtual pet the feelings are the same.
Dec 16, 2007 8:25 PM

Mar 2007
pdv2506 said:
So that's what the circles were. I'd almost forgotten about them. And they're right in front of you the whole time, at the beginning of every episode. D'oh!
And it's nice to see Daichi coming to the rescue of Fumie, instead of just being an ass, even if his fly was open. XD

It seems that things that are right in front of you, yet unseen is a sort of running theme for this show. Though in the case of Coil Space, it would be yet hidden :)

Anyway, this was indeed a sad ep. The "what is real" speech kinda reminded me of The Matrix, though ^^

And Daichi gains +100 points for rescuing my Fumie-chan <3

Can't wait for the final 2 eps!
You've come a long way, baby.
Dec 16, 2007 9:25 PM

Sep 2007
_Sakura_ said:

I loved that part! I was like YAY! GO DAICHI AND BEAT UP THOSE GUYS WITH YOUR FLY OPEN!!! :D
Apr 10, 2008 9:45 AM

Apr 2007
Fairly slow episode considering the last few, but still great nonetheless. Never would've figured the manholes they show at the start of the OP for the last 24 episodes would wind up being a key plot device in the end.
May 10, 2008 12:07 AM

Apr 2007
T__T

onto next ep....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2009 2:34 PM
May 2008
this series kind of reminds me of a less full on version of serial experiments.

this series is getting very good!!
Aug 30, 2009 9:37 AM

Sep 2008
And there was the answer to my question about the circles Haraken drew... So Daichi saving Fumie was pure win; she looked the role of the maiden in distress too, with those tears in her eyes. And yesss, finally we get to learn about the bullying thing in Yasako's past that Isako mentioned wayyy back!

The part where Yasako broke down at the fence over Densuke's death, I started crying. ;_;

Still a good episode. Philosophical bits, heroic bits, emotional bits, and all.
Sep 13, 2009 4:29 AM

Oct 2008
who the hell is mayumi?
Oct 27, 2009 3:52 PM

Feb 2008
INTRODUCING A COMPLETELY NEW CHARACTER IN THE LAST FEW EPISODES ARE WE?
Nov 10, 2009 5:13 PM

Jan 2009
I know this is probably pointless but I was wondering if anyone knew the piano song that was played during 13:56-15:20~

As far as I know its not in the OST.
Jun 28, 2010 3:26 PM

Dec 2008
Daichi gets a lot of bonus points for helping Fumie. That was cool.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Jul 18, 2010 8:53 AM

Jul 2009
Awww... I hope Yasako will rescue Amasawa...
Apr 30, 2011 1:10 AM

Oct 2009
Yasako's mom didn't even really know about Densuke...it really was just the kids that were attached to him. But her talk with Yasako was sweet, I cried. ;_;

This show really is saying something about how invested people are with the digital world nowadays. We start to forget about the real life things, sometimes.

The part with Daichi beating up those guys was amazing.

Also nice to see Mayumi showing up, I thought it was weird how they introduced it a few eps and then compltely forgot about it for a while.
Oct 21, 2011 1:10 PM

Feb 2011
rant about adults On:
ignorant adults... sure they have to think about the safety, but they're pityfull
if they're really that worryed about their children they should get some knowledge and try to understand the tools they themselfes first allowed them to use, instead of removing them once some rumors go around saying they're bad
thinking back about the reactions of the brats at the school about the rumors on isako, the adults reactions about glasses are The Same, so instead of adults it would be better to say, ignorant common people T_T
age alone sure doesn't guarantee to be more wise
/end rant

tamako :3 i saw what you did there ;)
that's the way daichi ^_^

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jul 20, 2012 4:20 AM

Mar 2009
So Densuke really is dead :||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Jan 17, 2013 9:20 PM
Aug 2011
BigSimo said:
who the hell is mayumi?

Ivantrollet said:

I didn't like that at all.
Feb 24, 2013 9:33 PM

Apr 2012
parfaited said:
BigSimo said:
who the hell is mayumi?

Ivantrollet said:

I didn't like that at all.

I actually had the opposite reaction, I am glad that they are finally addressing this element of the story that they have mentioned a couple of times now. When Isako brought up the bullying thing way back at the start of the series, I thought it was going to be a more prominent story line. And then, a number of episodes ago, when Yasako's mother talked about her previous school and mentioned the name Mayumi I thought it was going to be a factor then.

Still, I think it could have been handled better because her sudden appearance and apparent importance to the story was a bit jarring.
Sep 16, 2013 11:55 PM
Apr 2012
Iriya said:
_Sakura_ said:

I loved that part! I was like YAY! GO DAICHI AND BEAT UP THOSE GUYS WITH YOUR FLY OPEN!!! :D

It's all in the hips!
Feb 26, 2014 11:03 AM

May 2012
A bit slower than usual episodes but still very interesting but rather gloomy and depressive but still lovely!
Jun 15, 2014 6:04 AM
Apr 2013
gaaah fantastic episode!! Loved the emotions, the music, the themes.

The plot at the end is still of the type "I have no idea what's going on" though.
Jun 29, 2014 2:39 AM
Apr 2013
Wonton said:
I know this is probably pointless but I was wondering if anyone knew the piano song that was played during 13:56-15:20~

As far as I know its not in the OST.

I was about to ask the exact same question!
May 13, 2016 2:22 AM

Oct 2013
is that old shit supposed to be comedic relief? because old people aren't funny, they're disgusting and annoying.
Sep 7, 2016 2:13 AM

Nov 2011
Zeando said:
rant about adults On:
ignorant adults... sure they have to think about the safety, but they're pityfull
if they're really that worryed about their children they should get some knowledge and try to understand the tools they themselfes first allowed them to use, instead of removing them once some rumors go around saying they're bad
thinking back about the reactions of the brats at the school about the rumors on isako, the adults reactions about glasses are The Same, so instead of adults it would be better to say, ignorant common people T_T
age alone sure doesn't guarantee to be more wise
/end rant

great episode as usual ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 1, 2017 4:51 AM

Jul 2008
God adults in nearly every anime are stupid morons...and this show is no exception.
May 25, 2018 6:14 PM

Nov 2016
This episode was needed after all the tension. It was interesting to see how Yuuko is dealing with the loss.

Moreover, we finally get to see the friend Yuuko mentioned at the very beginning.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 18, 2019 11:37 AM

Apr 2015
That boy and his brother are literally the Jack Thompson of glasses.
CatSoulFeb 18, 2019 12:28 PM
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 5, 2020 7:05 AM
Feb 2018
densuke saved kyoko and yasako from death
yasako's mom be like "densuke is just virtual pet"

lol
Jan 9, 2021 7:08 PM

Jun 2020
i really like how this episode presented the perspective of people who dont wear the glasses. the actual timeline and details of certain events still arent clear to me but this episode and its reflection on loss brought my rating up to a 9.
Jan 13, 2021 1:42 AM

May 2020
Looking back on it, what with the Metatags and Encode, these kids have waaay too much power over Spaces, which makes we wonder why none of the less morally inclined citizens of Daikoku City don't go nuts.

Kids are the only ones we see using them and we saw Fumie stop traffic lights in the first ep, along the with the regular subversion of Satchii and Kyuu-chan. Makes me wonder why adults don't use them more and if they can't, why kids are given so much power.
Aug 10, 2021 9:56 PM

Jul 2017
Good episode that acted as mainly a calm before the storm kind of episode. I'm glad that Mayumi finally appeared at the end and will be a part of the next episode. The show's addressed her a couple of times but very sparsely so her getting a proper appearance makes sense here. Daichi had his moments too with kicking some ass at school, even if his fly was open the entire time. Those circles were basically foreshadowed in every episode's first frame, kind of surprised I didn't even piece that together when it was right in front of me. Fair play.

Also, poor Densuke. It was expected but RIP. He may not be a real pet but hey, he still was very important to both Yasako and Kyoko and they had a lot of fun with him for years. They may have never physically got to touch him but the memories and emotions don't change regardless.
Oct 21, 2021 11:43 AM

Jun 2020
Saddended to see the loss of Densuke.

Dec 31, 2021 12:15 AM

Apr 2012
I want justice for densuke
Apr 23, 2022 8:16 AM

Feb 2021
My assumption is that losing the glasses took away a lot of grief Yasako would've felt if she kept them
Jun 21, 2022 1:36 AM

Jan 2010
There is so much to unpack in these past few episodes, and so much is happening so quickly that I had to pause a few times to go over information.

We're finally having explicit references to existentialism and postmodern thinking. Things that we can touch and feel have inherent value by virtue of existing, and things that aren't real are inherently less valuable and have no effect on reality. However, all the incidents revolving around the glasses had tangible effects on reality, despite the glasses not portraying "real" objects. Additionally, the pain Yasako felt when Densuke died has a tangible effect, where she feels actual sadness and grief.

In the story told by Yasako's mother, she felt pain over her real pet dying, and since Densuke is just a digital pet, Yasako should in theory not feel any pain. However, to inverse that story, it's possible to not feel pain over a real pet. As a result, it should be possible to feel pain over digital things. Those feelings aren't necessarily reserved for what is or isn't real, but rather which ever happens to illicit and draw out those emotions. As such, value isn't necessarily inherent in what is or isn't real, but which ever an individual or collective group assigns that value to. It's arbitrary in some respects, but there are some consistent methods of getting that emotional response. Say, establishing an emotional attachment over time, or making some convincing argument to garner attention and sympathy.

Still, it's a fun contradiction. Are things that aren't real truly not real? Are things that exist truly exist? Do these broad generalizations hold weight in a world where we can place actual value on ideas and feelings? This is the same world, after all, where those ideas and feelings can move and sway entire populations to take action or dismiss action.

To bring up another thought experiment, are words real? Words can't be touched, tasted, or smelt. You can hear them, but they disappear as soon as they're heard, and the only way to prove words were spoken is through recording devices, yet they could arguably be fabricated. Yet, words can influence action or inaction, harm or heal others, carry great weight or dissipate into nothingness. Words can cause a person to laugh to tears, or be spurred into a frenzied rage. They're technically just sounds though, no different from rustling winds or rolling stones, right? But, if simple sounds can have such a profound impact, then what's to say a digital pet like Densuke couldn't illicit emotion from its digital barks and whimpers? At what point does an unreal thing become indistinguishable from reality? At what point would a digital dog's death become as impactful as a real dog's death?

There's absolutely no singular answer, nor is there possibly an answer to begin with. It's still a thought that's worth considering and pursuing I think, as it opens many venues for considering the world in different ways.

Also, the ending sequences has Densuke walk past the festival scene from within the pathway to the "Other Side," as well as the four manholes referenced in this episode. Was....was that always there? What? And those manholes are also in the very beginning of the OP? What?
Oct 5, 2022 6:14 PM

Jan 2020
Errybody losin' their glasses.

This episode felt like it was beating everything over the head, to death. Granted, this show has somewhat always been doing that. But, I lost count of how many times they mentioned Densuke being dead. Like, I know. I got it. I get the concept. Jesus.

Daichi finally did something cool at least, tossing them bullies all about.

So, now what? Save Amasawa? Aim for a happy ending? I'm guessing our main characters aren't willing to walk away from the Dennou glasses until they get closure.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 5, 2022 6:22 PM

Jan 2011
Densuke deserved better.
Jan 25, 2023 10:02 PM

Jan 2014
rip densuke :((((((((((
May 15, 2023 4:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Sad for Densuke and makes sense she would be confused about what's the real world anymore... can't blame the parents for taking the glasses after what happened. That ending though, time for Yasako's real backstory I believe
May 24, 2023 10:36 AM

Feb 2020
I never noticed until now how many thematics this show has in common with Serial Experiments Lain, it's very interesting to compare the way they handle them.
Yasako's existential crisis was very well handled, as well as her grief over Densuke's death. It felt very relatable, the show always stroke has having a great understanding on how people tend to react and this is the proof of it. It was very painful to see Yasako struggling so much with this pain that is very real to her, when it just appears as virtual to her mother-who I don't blame, it must be hard to put herself in her daughter's shoes when she barely uses glasses.
And these questions are all the more interesting that I remember thinking about it when I began watching, wondering if, for how great the story is, all this is truly important if it doesn't actually exist. It is great to see the show adress it.
I really wonder how the story will go in the remaining episodes, as well as what's the real deal with that girl who, I must admit, I thought was introduced a bit awkwardly, unless I forgot some informations.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Dec 8, 2007

138 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 16, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 23 Discussion

_edge_ - Nov 29, 2007

31 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 15, 2:40 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kimura - Oct 30, 2007

62 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 13, 1:49 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MasterChief - Aug 10, 2007

106 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 11, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Siing - May 17, 2007

60 by Slice-of-sky »»
Jul 6, 2023 2:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.