Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2009 1:46 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
finally was looking forward to this episode =D
9 subbed at funimation =D

gatta XD at the oping song being a song on the radio
mhmm Eren eh? not too different from Ein but ok , gatta wonder where Renji got that name from
other than that =D Time to see him kill Scythe =D

ah btw from preview we can see that Eren shot Renji =O
ClearSinzMay 28, 2009 2:10 PM
May 28, 2009 3:47 PM

May 2008
Way to enforce patriarchy, Reiji, giving Ein a name and effectively denying her the chance to form her own identity, while placing her back into a subordinate role just as she had the possibility of escaping from her previous one. Among others, feminists are not pleased!

Edit: In case it wasn't apparent, the above was sarcasm. (^_^)

Nice episode overall though. Zwei is turning out to be a pretty strong male lead, albeit managing to get himself into situations with not a lot of outs.

Next episode title -- "Finale." o_O
chicanerousMay 29, 2009 12:15 PM
May 28, 2009 5:55 PM

Nov 2007
ClearSinz said:

gatta XD at the oping song being a song on the radio

lol.

Wow, Reiji ripped his passport!

I know why Reiji and Eren are going to be fighting each other. Cloudia got Reiji and Scyth got Eren.
tsubasaloverMay 28, 2009 6:16 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 28, 2009 8:53 PM

Dec 2007
aw thats sad Reiji Just wanted to be with Ein, but of course those two can never be as long as there stuck in that world :[
May 29, 2009 12:03 AM

Feb 2008
If there was only together more time she wouldn't go to Scythe masters, there is 26 episodes so the storyline progness quite well, if they already been together for a long time then it would become shorter.
For my thought that Scythe masters is going to die along with Elene or will she actually got saved. Who knows?
I don't read the manga and the anime will not be the same as in the manga.
Are she going to get her memories back? In the end she will die and everyone live lucky? Hmm... Just a old ending will happend, just I thought and what I think. :P

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 29, 2009 2:21 AM

Apr 2008
woo~ getting exciting xD killing scythe

May 29, 2009 3:52 AM

Feb 2009
decent epd, zwei at this point will do anything just to protect eren xp.
May 29, 2009 6:35 AM

May 2008
ein and zwei when combined creates the ultimate phantom duo., they could just kill off everyone from the organization if they wanna live a peaceful life., lol. just kidding.

nice episode btw. ^^
May 29, 2009 7:08 AM
May 2008
Nice episode but the self pity dragged out a bit too long... previews looked really good and it appears that Reiji will be on Ein(Eren)'s bad side for awhile if he actually kills Scythe.
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 29, 2009 8:24 AM

Jan 2009
What a boring episode. I also agree i think that I don't like how he decided it was up to him to name her like that. In this episode Ein came across so pathetic compared to Reiji, a complete turn around from the beginning episodes.

I'm glad there was at least some plot development near the end there.
May 29, 2009 11:27 AM

Apr 2009
All she need is "Love". Pfff.. He should've kiss her in the room. Give her a reason to live Romeo ! xD

"Zwei" given from Ein and now He gaved her name whats wrong with it. She lost herself cuz she thinks Scythe abandoned her. He is everything for her. Reiji had to take his role (not as a master xD) but that will be hard cuz now Scythe captured Ein. Stupid Reiji he should've more careful. Now things will turn bad cuz Ein'll serve under the Sync. :/
May 29, 2009 12:04 PM
Aug 2008
Another good episode.

Looks like I'm going to have to defend Reiji here. The guy was just doing what he felt he had to. Ein was upset, suicidal even all because she felt she didn't have anything to live for. She placed Reiji above herself because he had a name and a past. He tried to show her that it didn't matter when he tore up his passport, but that didn't do it. So he gave her a name - so what? He's just trying to give her a reason to live.

And now we're going to see a complete role-reversal. Ein told Zwei how to kill and now Reiji is going to teach Eren how to live.
May 29, 2009 4:16 PM

Apr 2009
Great episode. Reiji is going to kill Scythe and hopefully get back Eren's memories back.
May 29, 2009 5:18 PM

May 2008
i wonder if Eren will be happy that he kills Scythe

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 30, 2009 5:31 AM

Aug 2008
Meh. Just when it was getting good they started to act like amateurs again. Using the same car and papers, shooting at punks in the gas station, parking in plain sight, getting caught like that. Sometimes I think even I would be a better super-assassin.
And you call that interrogation Lizzie?

This show would have such potential and nice themes (even if it's nothing new), like the raison d'être, yet time and time again it shows how paper-thin the whole thing is.

btw, Eren? Is that the best you could come up with?
May 30, 2009 7:32 AM

Apr 2009
hahhh.. this episode is not as strong as the previous ones (somehow a bit boring) but at least it is not that bad, as i still liked it.. what i want to see though is what is going to happen next..

btw.. her new name might not be Eren, but Elen.. think about it, "L" = "R" in japanese.. and Elen is a more decent name..
May 30, 2009 10:00 AM

Apr 2009
noooo~ O.0 why did they have to get seperated~ i dont want one of them to die~ dam i hate that one blondie,,,why does Eren have to go back to Scythe
mabe both Reiji & Eren willl kill all of them!!~
^_^

May 30, 2009 11:29 AM

Oct 2008
What is the point of having super elite assassins if a bodyguard like Lizzie can best them so easily? I really didn't like it how it happened with Ein last episode and i didn't like it with Zwei this one. They're supposed to be a name that makes scythe master feared because of their power, to be so easily dealt with is stupid.

I really hope this doesn't lead to what it seems to be leading to, but it does appear to be. Probably too much to hope for assassins receiving a happy ending of any sort.

oh and ellen is a pretty crappy name for ein.
May 30, 2009 6:44 PM

Dec 2008
Kvakond said:
Meh. Just when it was getting good they started to act like amateurs again. Using the same car and papers, shooting at punks in the gas station, parking in plain sight, getting caught like that. Sometimes I think even I would be a better super-assassin.

I couldn't agree more. I mean, if you're on the run from a powerful organization, at least have the common sense to put on a disguise and change cars every once in a while. Ein didn't even bother to change clothes (since we've seen her in that outfit a lot already - Zwei, at least, has plainer clothes). Basic stuff, really. No wonder they got caught.

Overall, I thought last episode was better. This episode wasted a lot of potential.

For starters, last episode introduced a nice plot twist with Claudia's little plan; yet, all we get here is Ein and Zwei on the run, only to get captured again in the most boring way possible. It would have been nice to see just a little more strategy here to spice up the tension.

Then, there was the whole dramatic!Ein/Eren/Elen/whatever. It just felt "off" to me. All this time, she was the cool, apathetic one, barely showing any signs of emotion. And then she goes and tries to kill herself? And then goes emo on Zwei? What? I don't know about any of you, but it didn't quite click with the character we've seen of her so far for me. It felt rather awkward and forced, especially since Ein had the same expression she always has on her face even when she was being depressed and suicidal and all. Another reason why I can't bring myself to connect with Ein at all.
May 30, 2009 7:46 PM

May 2008
Kvakond said:

Yeah. I agree about the shooting and parking. I don't have a problem with the car and, AFAIK, Zwei had no other option about the papers (by which I assume you mean what he flashed at the checkpoint).

With the punks, shooting at them was definitely the wrong move. There's no better way to advertise that you're a trained assassin and leave witnesses to it. On the hand, shooting them would have left bodies, the potential for police, and even more attention. Either way is really not the best way to keep from calling attention to oneself. Maybe the best thing for Zwei to do would have been to let himself get beat up, as this would attract the least negative attention and possibly misdirect Lizzie, depending on how she decided the punks were worth interrogation. The downside is that the resulting injuries could impede Zwei's ability to protect Ein later.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Aeterna said:
I couldn't agree more. I mean, if you're on the run from a powerful organization, at least have the common sense to put on a disguise and change cars every once in a while. Ein didn't even bother to change clothes (since we've seen her in that outfit a lot already - Zwei, at least, has plainer clothes). Basic stuff, really. No wonder they got caught.

I agree in essence, but keep in mind that, at the time that they were captured, Zwei was looking to get another car.

The major concern when stealing a car for the use portrayed here is minimizing detection. Every time you steal / exchange a car, you leave a potential point on a map that shows the direction your heading. Frequently exchanging cars is not the best option if you're trying to escape any considerable distance. Additionally, one of the problems with stealing a car along a highway or nearby town and not in a large city is that the car is much more likely to be quickly reported because it will be in daily use. To travel any significant distance with the smallest possible detection, you need to both to steal as infrequently as possible and to find cars that are the least likely to be reported. (This contrasts with stealing a car for scrap where these concerns are largely alleviated.) It takes planning and careful selection to do this. As well, outside of the city, it's less likely there will be other thefts in the area. Coupled with stealing too close to a known Phantom location, if the organization is watching the police channels (which it conceivably should be even when not in this situation), the stealing of a car earlier could have very well been a dead give away that they were in the area and made it easier to guess their next move and find them. Consequently, I don't see any problems with how Zwei handled their transportation -- though, of course, without any real explanation, both he and Ein were still discovered.

In any case, while I disagree about exactly what may have been illogical or not optimal in their escape, I do agree that this episode would have been greatly improved by an overt articulation or illustration of Zwei's strategy for evasion.

Aeterna said:
Then, there was the whole dramatic!Ein/Eren/Elen/whatever. It just felt "off" to me. All this time, she was the cool, apathetic one, barely showing any signs of emotion. And then she goes and tries to kill herself? And then goes emo on Zwei? What? I don't know about any of you, but it didn't quite click with the character we've seen of her so far for me. It felt rather awkward and forced, especially since Ein had the same expression she always has on her face even when she was being depressed and suicidal and all. Another reason why I can't bring myself to connect with Ein at all.

IMO, Ein has never been the cool, apathetic one in anything more than a superficial capacity -- except for maybe the first few minutes of the first episode when we didn't have enough information to think otherwise. Since then, however, it's been increasingly apparent that she has doubts about herself and what she's been doing (or, more accurately, doing to Zwei), but tightly controlling this via repression and submission to Scythemaster. Hence, her frequent use of nihilistic language, conscious acts of submission, and use of an apathetic demeanor in order to disguise her very real emotional center. (BTW, this subtext is pretty interesting because it contrasts so delightfully with the idea of mechanization set out explicitly by Scythemaster in the lotion scene.) If you've watched closely these elements have been continually undermined by the close attention the series has placed on Ein's dialogue as well as non-verbal interactions with Zwei, illustrating that they are in fact a facade (albeit a very good one). So, in this episode, believing that she was betrayed by Scythe, without a foreseeably recoverable past like Zwei, Ein has quite completely lost her raison d'etre and the suicide attempt is perfectly understandable. In this sense, it's also a rather poignant culmination and transference of these emotional subtleties of her character to the foreground. Of course, this all depends on you having noticed them in the first place -- if you haven't, I can certainly see how the suicide attempt would seem like an awkward or forced development.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into the series or projecting my own fantasy onto it? (I don't think I am, but it's always a possibility without going back and explicitly mapping out the evidence.)
chicanerousMay 30, 2009 10:16 PM
May 30, 2009 8:45 PM

Dec 2008
@chicanerous
Good point re: transportation. But, going and threatening two thugs at a convenience store(?bad memory?) with a gun doesn't attract attention? XD I guess the point I was trying to make is that Zwei and Ein could have done a lot more to fly under Inferno's radar than what we saw. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially for two highly trained assassins.

As for Ein, I picked up on those small clues, too, when it came to her "true" emotions. Unlike Zwei, however, whatever emotions she does have don't manifest themselves very well. Like, when she made the suicide attempt, she carried the same expression on her face and spoke in the same flat voice she normally does. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd expect to see something - anything - that indicates some kind of emotion during such a scene. All I got was that she was vaguely confused as to why she couldn't pull the trigger.

I can't put my finger on why but I can't find a connection with Ein at all. There's something about her that simply does not intrigue me. Maybe it's all there, maybe not. Maybe it's simply the way they're presenting her and it's not translating onto the screen/dialogue very well. Whatever it is, I just don't care about her. When she pointed that gun at herself, I didn't care if she pulled the trigger or not. I don't have the motivation to "deconstruct" her and try to figure her out more than what's obvious. I'm sure there's lots about her to analyze, but I can't care enough to make the attempt. So far, the biggest emotional impact this series has made on me was when Zwei killed that mother and son (Eva and Duke, I think were their names). Maybe in the next few episodes, we'll get to see more of who Ein really is - I'm actually hoping this is so, just so I can start liking or disliking her.
May 30, 2009 9:22 PM

May 2008
Aeterna said:
@chicanerous
Good point re: transportation. But, going and threatening two thugs at a convenience store(?bad memory?) with a gun doesn't attract attention? XD I guess the point I was trying to make is that Zwei and Ein could have done a lot more to fly under Inferno's radar than what we saw. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially for two highly trained assassins.

I definitely agree with that.

Aeterna said:
As for Ein, I picked up on those small clues, too, when it came to her "true" emotions. Unlike Zwei, however, whatever emotions she does have don't manifest themselves very well. Like, when she made the suicide attempt, she carried the same expression on her face and spoke in the same flat voice she normally does. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd expect to see something - anything - that indicates some kind of emotion during such a scene. All I got was that she was vaguely confused as to why she couldn't pull the trigger.

I see your point about her facial expression, but, at the same time, she doesn't have much of an external personality. We saw her animated during the preparation for the assassination at the mall, but we have no reason to believe that wasn't a pretty conscious effort to act that way. So, I'd contend that she doesn't really have a framework for expressing emotions and this carries over into a situation where she has no need to try to mimic outward emotional expression. With that said, yeah, it is a bit strange thinking now that her evident confusion at possessing but not recognizing what latent drive is preventing her from pulling the trigger would not manifest in a more explicitly emotional manner, even with the above reasoning taken into account. I guess that may show how deeply she's had to suppress and repress her emotional responses in order to be a successful human weapon as well as the extent to which not being able to kill is alienating and unconsidered notion for her.

If the Funimation website was working for me, I'd go back and watch that scene a bit more closely now because you definitely bring up a good point. When I first watched the scene, I don't recall (at least) thinking anything was odd about her expression, so I'd like to figure out why that was.

Aeterna said:
I can't put my finger on why but I can't find a connection with Ein at all. There's something about her that simply does not intrigue me. Maybe it's all there, maybe not. Maybe it's simply the way they're presenting her and it's not translating onto the screen/dialogue very well. Whatever it is, I just don't care about her. When she pointed that gun at herself, I didn't care if she pulled the trigger or not. I don't have the motivation to "deconstruct" her and try to figure her out more than what's obvious. I'm sure there's lots about her to analyze, but I can't care enough to make the attempt. So far, the biggest emotional impact this series has made on me was when Zwei killed that mother and son (Eva and Duke, I think were their names). Maybe in the next few episodes, we'll get to see more of who Ein really is - I'm actually hoping this is so, just so I can start liking or disliking her.

That's interesting. Killing the mother and son probably had the least impact on me as I was watching this and, apparently, I'm connecting with Ein quite well. (^_^)

Looking at your profile, I see that you're female and wonder whether, as I am male, this may be, in some small respect, one of the reasons we're having different responses to both Ein and the mother-son-killing incident (though there are obviously many other and likely more significant sociological factors that could engender these different perceptions). In other words, a factor in why you're not connecting with Ein and strongly responding to the mother-son-killing, whereas I'm having the opposite reactions. There I'm thinking, in terms of men, sexual attachment being able to create a strong cross-gender bond and attitudes and posturing with respect to violence. On the other hand, in terms of women, possible issues with identification with an inexpressive female protagonist (without necessarily the mitigating "benefit" of sexual attachment) and the potential conflict between the assassination and any maternal instinct / identification. You, of course, don't have to respond at all on that front, as I don't think that regardless we could get to any clear consensus, especially considering that two individuals hardly constitutes a sample, the fact that this analysis often fails quite spectacularly at the level of the individual, and the somewhat dubious nature of those concepts in the first place, yet I definitely find it something interesting to wonder about. Examining how different audiences may perceive a series tends to be quite rewarding with respect to uncovering subtle ways in which characters and narrative are framed, even if it's risky due to the potential to devolve into chauvinism or latent misogynist or misandrist stereotypes.

*looks off into the distance pondering character and narrative framing in some random episode of anime*

Haha.
chicanerousMay 30, 2009 10:25 PM
May 30, 2009 9:30 PM

Jul 2008
WAGAH!
Why did they have to end it there!?
I knew Reiji was going to end up saving Ein and killing Scythe. Eh Ellen is an okay name, no offense to anyone named that. It could be prettier.. But not everyone has a pretty name, I don't.
Anyway. Yeah Ein's whole emotionless expression is starting to piss me off. And when she does express its either acting or because of Scythe...
Ein is saying she has nothing all the time too. Maybe Reiji can give her
something? :)
Then she won't have anymore sappy suicidal attempts?
and...lastly
WTH?! Lizzy?Is she phantom trained too? Who is she? Sometimes shes good and other times she sucks?

Not the best episode, but it was good.
May 31, 2009 1:03 AM

May 2009
I think that Scythe will not die to soon maybe at the end of the story,Ellen will jump in front of a bullet for him so i realy dont know what is going to happen :P
I`M A MURDERER
May 31, 2009 6:15 AM
Aug 2008
An interesting development so far, we get to witness Zwei wanting to give Ein a raison d'etre while she herself tries to be more ''humane'' at times (ie : take care) but fails to do so as she aimlessly directs herself towards Scythe yet conflicting with Reiji's interests and influence. Being without any known ego other than ''Phantom'' yet being pursued by the organization without any inherent meaning in her own actions, she decides to kill herself to end this ''miserable'' life, yet she experiences the lightest shred of fear without any expressive gestures and lacks the composure to kill herself. Reiji on the other hand tries to give an identity, while Ein herself only witnessing an identity as a passport or physical object relating to a past, Reiji believes it manifests itself through one's actions and desires.

Even though they are portrayed as ''uber-assassins'', had the writer himself not set up the script for a convenience plot (ie : gas station), we would not have gotten to see Scythe again, though some of you are complaining that it is not tactical enough and that Scythe just time-transcended and ripped fabric through time in which his encounter detracts from the plot's decisiveness.

As far as Lizzie's abilities are concerned, I found no problems with her confronting Zwei and beating him up. Showing resistance was futile.
May 31, 2009 1:35 PM

Nov 2008
Heh pretty good episode, damn that Ein went with scythe :/

FINALY SOMEBODY GONNA KILL SCYTHE! I have hated him since i saw him!
catn wait next ep
Jun 1, 2009 1:17 AM

May 2009
Oh god I can't wait for Scythe to die. Even if it muddies the relationship between Reiji and Ein (sorry Reiji, the name you gave her is terrible), I am sick of that pervert freak getting his hands all over her. He's taking advantage of her in every way because she's a puppet and it drives me nuts.
Jun 1, 2009 3:28 AM

Apr 2009
People wrote WAY too much about this ep... I quit reading halfway through your replies... XD

Back to the show! It's been low average from the beginning: everything is cheesy and colorless, character design is poor (there's the blonde girl, the black girl, the black guy, the sephiroth-like guy, the mad scientist guy...) and there has been no story to tell so far.

Don't get mad at me: if you like the show, good for you! I just can't find any appeal to it. I keep watching it waiting for a turnaround point where things get interesting (actually this strategy did not work so far.. I tried it with Kiba lol).
Maybe the next episode, "finale", will change everything? Maybe everybody dies and we can start over... XD
Jun 1, 2009 7:04 AM
Dec 2007
The first eighteen minutes formed a great escape/romance episode with relatively good dialogue and excellent direction, but everything became far less interesting from the moment Claudia and Scythe reappeared randomly at the end. On top of that, animation is still good but far from being as great as in the first few episodes.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 1, 2009 9:53 AM

May 2009
I`m realy hopeing for a happy ending ,but i realy cant belive that the creators think of this...in the end Zwei or Ein will die....
I`M A MURDERER
Jun 1, 2009 2:15 PM

Jan 2009
Awesome episode. Reiji was a man tearing his passport, the whole episode was filled with interesting discussions between Ellen and Reiji. I'm really looking forward, as Reiji was ordered to kill Scythe master, I wonder what Ellen will do.

And "Karma" coming from radio ^_^
xyakaixJun 1, 2009 2:25 PM
Jun 2, 2009 12:30 AM

Dec 2008
@chicanerous
It's definitely interesting to discuss and, you're right, there are probably numerous factors that influence how people view certain characters, being male or female being one of them. Ein, besides her awesome assassination skills, doesn't strike me as an impressive character. Also, during the whole scene where she attempts suicide, having been exposed to numerous people who have attempted suicide and/or seriously thought about it, her presentation doesn't seem entirely realistic. If she wants to end her life, then I'd say it's safe to assume she believes there's nothing else she can do and that she has nothing else to live for (having lost her raison d'etre). To me, this would call for an emotional breakdown at some point - perhaps not when she's holding a gun to her head (since, from what I've read/heard, people tend to be pretty calm when attempting these things), but there should be something leading up to it and/or something after (guilt, perhaps?)

In any case, I went back to that scene and re-watched it. I was wrong about her voice - it does subtly change in tone (I first watched this episode in the car, so perhaps it was hard to hear over all the highway noise xD). However, her face really does not change from what we're used to seeing. Perhaps me, being a very visual person, it gave me absolutely no clue that she was facing some kind of inner turmoil. And, since we know virtually nothing about Ein's past, I can't say whether this is because of her past experiences (i.e. her training as an assassin) or the writers simply aren't pulling her character off very well.

As for Zwei killing the mother and son...I saw it as a huge turning point for him. At that point, he had only really killed those who were involved in the criminal world. Granted, the mother and son were related to the crime world through the husband/father, but they themselves were innocents. The son especially had no idea what was going on, thus he was the very representation of innocence (plus, he has the "Aww, cute!" factor going for him, but that's beside the point). And Zwei fatally shot him. At that point, I felt him teeter for a moment between his humane self and his assassin self, and after he delivered the two shots, he had chosen his assassin self.

Desirio said:
People wrote WAY too much about this ep... I quit reading halfway through your replies... XD

*points at chicanerous*
His fault, not mine xP

Desirio said:
I keep watching it waiting for a turnaround point where things get interesting (actually this strategy did not work so far.. I tried it with Kiba lol).

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Episode 8 had a fairly decent plot twist - nothing spectacular, but it was interesting, nonetheless - but it sort of lost the momentum with this episode. Like I said in an earlier post, this episode had so much potential in terms of creativity with the plot, but it felt like the writers threw this one together quickly rather than putting in the effort to show some ingenuity.

@all who noted "Karma" playing on the radio
Just out of curiosity: why is this so significant? I thought this was a rather common practice (to put OP/ED songs on radios/walkmans/MP3 players).
AeternaJun 2, 2009 12:37 AM
Jun 2, 2009 12:36 AM

Apr 2009
why is the next episode called Finale? It would be really disappointing if this ended in 10 episodes, maybe thats why the last 2-3 episodes feel so rushed. Damn this anime had so much potential.
Jun 2, 2009 12:19 PM

Jun 2007
I'm liking this series quite a bit. I am, however, getting a little annoyed with the slow pacing, not helped by flashbacks to what happened only an episode before. The stupidity of certain characters is also getting on my nerves.

It was just plain dumb how Scythe Master accepted a secret mission given to him by a woman who hates him. How obvious can you get? Yet, for whatever reason, Scythe Master failed to pick up on it and just went along with the plan, edging towards his downfall by doing so. And, likewise, as others have pointed out, the way Ein and Zwie got themselves caught and were both beaten by a mere bodyguard made them look very average - hardly worthy of all the praise they get.

I don't care a great deal about the shows issues, as annoying as they are. Its slow pacing and the simplicity of the story make it easy and fun to watch - a far cry from the likes of Eden, which make no sense whatsoever for the most part.
Jun 2, 2009 1:39 PM

Mar 2008
madaodono said:
why is the next episode called Finale? It would be really disappointing if this ended in 10 episodes, maybe thats why the last 2-3 episodes feel so rushed. Damn this anime had so much potential.

It's actually called "Closure" and it's not the series finale, it's just the end of the first major story arc.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jun 2, 2009 5:06 PM

Aug 2008
Jacut said:
The first eighteen minutes formed a great escape/romance episode with relatively good dialogue and excellent direction, but everything became far less interesting from the moment Claudia and Scythe reappeared randomly at the end. On top of that, animation is still good but far from being as great as in the first few episodes.

Agreed, I was genuinely surprised and engaged with what was going on, but then they went the predictable route splitting up Ein and Zwei, turning them back into the useless puppets they've been all this time.

I also agree with chicanerous' sarcastic remarks. It's crazy that Zwei would just give Ein a name and act like the name itself doesn't matter. A whole identity is formed around that name (unless I was missing what they were setting up there), so for him to say it didn't matter was ridiculous.
Jun 2, 2009 6:54 PM

Apr 2009
ShadowAlex said:
madaodono said:

It's actually called "Closure" and it's not the series finale, it's just the end of the first major story arc.

Oo, so that was sub error from Underwater. Thanks for the info. Phew!
Jun 2, 2009 7:07 PM

Jan 2009
I have just finished with updating myself with the series and i can understand where alot of your frustrations come from. However with "Ein's" current predicament i would have to say her reaction would be normal. Did you ever think 1) she is not very open to begin hence problem with the mono tone face. 2) She feels like she has lost her meaning to live. Yes there is Reiji (i hope i spelled that right) however at this point i dont think she thinks he will actually stay with her. After all her entire life that she knows about so far is about people dissapearing and dieing. So she most likely believes that he too at some point will just dissipate. As to the suicide I mean to her it seems that her superiors, handle every problem the same exact way. Kill the problem and eliminate it. So therefore maybe she reacts to her unstable self as a problem. So therefore suicide is deemed as her only way of dealing with her problem. If you also notice when she is in the bathroom a few episodes before when she says she feels fear for the first time her face remains the same. Anywho to sum this up basically she has not felt many emotions, her only answer to anything is to kill it or be killed and now that they have come flying together she is completely lost in her mind. Not knowing whether to panic or remain calm.

As to the Claudia and Lizzie (her bodygaurd), i beleive in one of the episodes it shows Claudia as a kid who was also killing people. I beleive the reason she is the way she is, is due to the fact that she herself was once a killer. I mean her eyes are pretty close to Reiji's. I do beleive Lizzie herself is a killer as well. Reiji was simply caught off gaurd as it was. I mean honestly who would expect to be cornered in a parking lot.
Watch your thoughts they become your words.
Watch your words they become your actions.
Watch your actions they become your habits.
Watch your habits it becomes who you are.
Watch who and what you are it determines your Fate.

Interested in perhaps making something on the side? Check this out

http://one.zipnadazilch.com/index.php?referral=830916

But watch Black Lagoon and Darker than Black first.
Jun 3, 2009 1:30 AM

Jan 2009
great episode, I was thinking that would change the history of the OVA, but for now the following xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2009 10:55 AM

May 2008
madaodono said:
ShadowAlex said:
madaodono said:
why is the next episode called Finale?

Oo, so that was sub error from Underwater. Thanks for the info. Phew!

The next week preview on the Funimation subs, as of last Thursday, entitled the next episode "Finale" which is where I was pulling it from.
Jun 4, 2009 8:58 PM

Aug 2008
Well, Eren sounds familiar. I know I heard that from the game, but I forgot how Ein got the name in the game.

Well...nice episode, I suppose. It's funny how they didn't show Scythe Master this whole time.
No man fails if he does his best
- Orison Swett Marden
Jun 6, 2009 12:29 AM

May 2008
Nice episode but the self pity dragged out a bit too long... previews looked really good and it appears that Reiji will be on Ein(Eren)'s bad side for awhile if he actually kills Scythe.
Jun 6, 2009 1:59 PM

Jul 2008
It is weird how people here compain about Ein and Zwei not disguising themeselves well when it is weirder how they were managed to be found at all. The Inferno and Scyhte Master coudn't know which road they took, to which city they have gone and where in that huge city they were at all. A hell, did Cloudia's subordinate follow them on foot since while they were riding in a car?
Also, even if Inferno and Scyhte Master had scores of spies, they would need quite a lot of time to get near Reiji and Ellen.
The fact that Claudia and Schte Master got to their pets almost at the same time, is even weirder.

As for Reiji's carelesness about beating up those two and pointing a gun at them, there also ain't a NOTICABLE threat. They ain't some civilians who would run to nearest policeman and say: "That guy pointed a gun at me!". They are hooligans who would rather pretend that they fell down some stairs then talk about how some guy beat them. With all of that in mind: how did Lizzie know that they knew somethign about Reiji?
Jun 6, 2009 7:20 PM

Apr 2009
good episode. I really hope Reji follows through and takes out Scythe master. But I can see how that might end up having Elen turn face and attack Reji after loosing "master".
Jun 18, 2009 3:44 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Decent episode, didn't expect them to get caught so quickly though. Showdown next time.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 18, 2009 3:49 PM

Feb 2008
cyruz said:
didn't expect them to get caught so quickly though.

Yeah same here.
I thought their escape would go on for 2 or 3 episodes. :(

Liked this episode though.
Jun 21, 2009 11:19 AM

Sep 2008
I loved this episode. :D Although... Eren is not to different from Ein. Haha, but oh well. I think the story is progressing while. There are still many episode left so hopefully 'Eren' and 'Reiji' end up together or something like that. (:
Jul 10, 2009 3:59 PM

Oct 2008
Nice one!

Jul 19, 2009 7:00 PM

Apr 2009
I had to laugh at "Eren". At least, he could of... ah well.
So I guess they're back on their "intended" sides again. Pretty sure Reiji will accomplish killing Scythe Master sooner or later...
Jul 21, 2009 5:04 AM

Jun 2009
Die scythe master... Die!!! You'll feel Reiji's wrath this time!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.