Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you prefer subbed or dubbed verison of Ghost Stories?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 6, 2012 5:40 PM

Sep 2011
if you dont like this dub, i highly suggest you go check yourself into a mental home

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 2, 2012 6:50 AM

Apr 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
if you dont like this dub, i highly suggest you go check yourself into a mental home

It's that sort of post which makes me very glad I'm not on that side...

I'm almost at a loss to explain the poor reception this show has had. The only thing I can think of is that it's coming from a load of Americans who don't have ideas like "Doctor Who as a children's show" in their cultural DNA, and so aren't really familiar with the best way to watch something like this.

Not that School Ghost Stories compares to Doctor Who, of course. But it's still a cracking little children's horror which is good enough to appeal to adults too -- providing they don't do something silly like try to apply adult sensibilities to it.

One of my favourite sequences is in the music episode. It starts with the haunt music being played over the radio. And Satsuki takes a long time to react, making it seem as if the scene is about this truly bizarre hazard of her just sitting there and listening to the whole tune, not thinking to just simply turn it off. But of course, it's a reasonably long piece, and a little hesitation doesn't stop her from turning it off well before it finishes. But that's when the actual, and quite reasonable hazard displays itself, as that languid alarm and hesitation over a trifle turns into a frantic chase around the house to silence anything which can play music, with repeated false victories, until having her hopes dashed repeatedly, along with the basic fear of something which can kill you, has her reduced to pathetically jumping at a slightly creepy doll on a high shelf; just outside of a child's world of control, as it produces fittingly pathetic music, which nevertheless, still counts. Naturally, as adults, we know she isn't going to actually die. But she doesn't. So we empathise, we pay attention to and care about the experiences the characters are going through, this is the basis of its value as television.

And if you have some problem with humour and children's horror being in the same show, well, I can only suggest more Doctor Who.

The dub? Sorry, but I don't find making the characters hostile and stupid to be funny. But moreover, if you're going to make a parody track for people who aren't interested in the story, (although why people who aren't interested in the story would actually watch it I can't imagine), it should be an extra subtitle track. The people best placed to take this seriously are children, it is aimed at them, after all. And children are the people who are most likely to need a dub.
Aug 8, 2012 10:06 PM

Jul 2012
logopolis said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

It's that sort of post which makes me very glad I'm not on that side...

I'm almost at a loss to explain the poor reception this show has had. The only thing I can think of is that it's coming from a load of Americans who don't have ideas like "Doctor Who as a children's show" in their cultural DNA, and so aren't really familiar with the best way to watch something like this.

Not that School Ghost Stories compares to Doctor Who, of course. But it's still a cracking little children's horror which is good enough to appeal to adults too -- providing they don't do something silly like try to apply adult sensibilities to it.

One of my favourite sequences is in the music episode. It starts with the haunt music being played over the radio. And Satsuki takes a long time to react, making it seem as if the scene is about this truly bizarre hazard of her just sitting there and listening to the whole tune, not thinking to just simply turn it off. But of course, it's a reasonably long piece, and a little hesitation doesn't stop her from turning it off well before it finishes. But that's when the actual, and quite reasonable hazard displays itself, as that languid alarm and hesitation over a trifle turns into a frantic chase around the house to silence anything which can play music, with repeated false victories, until having her hopes dashed repeatedly, along with the basic fear of something which can kill you, has her reduced to pathetically jumping at a slightly creepy doll on a high shelf; just outside of a child's world of control, as it produces fittingly pathetic music, which nevertheless, still counts. Naturally, as adults, we know she isn't going to actually die. But she doesn't. So we empathise, we pay attention to and care about the experiences the characters are going through, this is the basis of its value as television.

And if you have some problem with humour and children's horror being in the same show, well, I can only suggest more Doctor Who.

The dub? Sorry, but I don't find making the characters hostile and stupid to be funny. But moreover, if you're going to make a parody track for people who aren't interested in the story, (although why people who aren't interested in the story would actually watch it I can't imagine), it should be an extra subtitle track. The people best placed to take this seriously are children, it is aimed at them, after all. And children are the people who are most likely to need a dub.

Chill.
Aug 8, 2012 10:11 PM

Jul 2011
neither
Aug 11, 2012 2:44 AM
Aug 2012
is there any chance for more episodes
Oct 23, 2012 2:55 PM

Apr 2011
I'm brazilian and I watched it on TV, so... brazilian dub. The translation followed the original japanese script though, so I've watched the "original" show. I know the english dub is hilarious 'cause I've seen some scenes... but I actually enjoyed the original Gakkou no Kaidan.

I guess I must say I prefer it subbed then?
Nov 4, 2012 7:54 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I like the raw/sub version. ADV completely fuck up the anime by not only completely changing the script but changing the genre to comedy while doing it. No wonder those fucking idiots died in 2008. Good riddance I say.
Nov 12, 2012 9:31 PM
Aug 2012
will there be chance of more episodes
i really liked this anime both in subbed and dubbed
Jan 5, 2013 5:22 AM

Sep 2012
Dub was utterly hillarious.
Dunno what they were smoking, but I want some of it.
You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!
May 30, 2013 6:49 AM

Feb 2012
Looking for a sub version(i prefer sub... Dub kills it for me) of this but its tough to find
May 30, 2013 2:36 PM

Sep 2012
Started off only watching it for the dub, still only watching it for the dub.
Jun 6, 2013 7:01 PM

Sep 2011
Dub is the only thing that makes this show watchable.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 11, 2014 1:39 PM

May 2008
Horror genre aren't common in anime. I watched this in sub and it wasn't boring at all. Every episode has it's own stories to keep up my interest. As a horror fan I muss say that they did a good job on this even if it's not aimed for adults. Don't know why so many people watch it for the lolz...
Jun 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Mar 2014
I've only seen the dubbed version, it's hilarious! Is the sub suppose to be serious?
Jun 10, 2014 12:27 AM

Aug 2010
YagokoroEirin said:
dub always sucks,only english ppl like it.

I can tell that you never tried watching the dub.
Jun 10, 2014 12:29 AM

Aug 2010
I have only watched the dubbed version and I loved it, it's great and I'm surprised that it was a legit thing cause I honestly thought it was a fandub or a joke, but it wasn't. I was told that the subbed sucked and I can't imagine the subbed being any better than the dub only cause the dub is hilarious.
Jul 26, 2014 2:28 AM
Oct 2013
I've only been watching the English dub and it feels like a well done abridged series or a series of bloopers similar to the ones I watched for FMA/FMA:B and B Gata H Kei dubs.
Aug 4, 2014 2:44 AM

Jun 2012
I only watched the sub, but I can confidently say I would enjoy the dub over the sub.

Aug 8, 2014 1:16 AM

May 2014
Saburo-kun said:
I only watched the sub, but I can confidently say I would enjoy the dub over the sub.
WHY WOULD YOU WATCH THIS SUBBED???
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Aug 8, 2014 1:19 AM

Apr 2014
TheFilthyCasual said:
Saburo-kun said:
WHY WOULD YOU WATCH THIS SUBBED???

Exactly, it's a horrible story xD

Aug 20, 2014 9:28 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I preferred the Japanese script. The American script was total shit. It was so bad that I decided not to buy the American release and opted to spend more on the Japanese release. I'll be dammed if I'll support a crappy dub. I love dubbed Anime...if it remains on script to an extent. If you enjoyed the dub then Anime isn't for you. That kinda humor is not funny unless you are rotting in the brain. There's a reason why total script changes in Anime are very rare...MOST PEOPLE DON'T WANT IT. Not to mention it was disrespectful to those that worked hard on the Anime. I hated Steven Foster for doing what he did and I still hate him to this day.
Aug 23, 2014 9:11 PM

May 2014
Lolicon said:
I preferred the Japanese script. The American script was total shit. It was so bad that I decided not to buy the American release and opted to spend more on the Japanese release. I'll be dammed if I'll support a crappy dub. I love dubbed Anime...if it remains on script to an extent. If you enjoyed the dub then Anime isn't for you. That kinda humor is not funny unless you are rotting in the brain. There's a reason why total script changes in Anime are very rare...MOST PEOPLE DON'T WANT IT. Not to mention it was disrespectful to those that worked hard on the Anime. I hated Steven Foster for doing what he did and I still hate him to this day.
The original sucked and thats why most people watch this dubbed instead.
- Anonymous
Sep 2, 2014 1:50 PM

May 2014
orithyea said:
I share the same sentiments with Lolicon. I watched it both in Japanese and English audio, and frankly, the original isn't as bad as people make it out to be nor is the latter that funny as revered by the majority.
Disregarding the quality of the actual acting, the show itself, originally, is just bad. Without the gag dub there's no reason to ever watch it.
- Anonymous
Sep 2, 2014 8:53 PM
Sep 2013
I like the sub one haha can anyone solve me a doubt about the lost episode, is the episode who don´t go to the air only one time in japan anyway anyone know who put the ghost to sleep?? in one site said momoku and in the other said satsuki lol.
Oct 16, 2014 10:39 PM

Jun 2009
Most of the jokes are okay but I wish that they could have been more serious at parts. I accidentally voted for dubbed.
Nov 7, 2014 5:16 AM

Nov 2013
YagokoroEirin said:
dub always sucks,only english ppl like it.

And there is exception to everything. Gakkou no Kaidan is boring with original audio.
You all need to watch Nami.

Nov 30, 2014 5:38 AM

Jun 2012
Dubbed, but the Animax version. It's what I grew up watching, so yeah.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Feb 12, 2015 1:31 PM

Nov 2013
Ranivus said:
God all these jokes in the dub are all for adults i love it! hahaha
i cant even find dubbed torents tho...

Bakabt has it.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 3, 2015 10:08 AM

Mar 2015
I'm not sure... just finished episode seven and the dubbed version is totally playing with my mind, man, and I'm not even high!
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM???
Jun 6, 2015 11:12 AM
May 2015
Lolicon said:
I like the raw/sub version. ADV completely fuck up the anime by not only completely changing the script but changing the genre to comedy while doing it. No wonder those fucking idiots died in 2008. Good riddance I say.
It wasn't their fault that the anime was considered terrible in Japan. Heck they even told adv to do ANYTHING to make the show enjoyable and they did.
Jul 22, 2015 5:41 AM

Nov 2014
MEsoJD said:
The dub saves this anime from being boring and generic.
I am ready to give this a 9-10/10 just because of the dub.

Aug 21, 2015 2:03 PM

Sep 2013
It would seem that a bastion of sin still writhes before us in all its inglorified pagan hedonism. The Lord Jesus himself has graced us with the land of opportunity, yet some, it would seem, would rather spit on it in heretical dejection. May He spare his eternal mercy on these poor, misguided, Jewish souls (in hell).
Aug 22, 2015 1:59 PM

May 2013
So the lesson learned here is that the only reason anyone seems to prefer the sub is that if they initially watched the sub, was part of the 1% of viewers that actually liked it, and then were offended by the massive overhaul the dub did.
Oct 17, 2015 3:48 AM

Mar 2013
People that prefer subs to this degree are so laughably pathetic. Blind dub hating only comes from being so far up Japan's ass that you hate anything that isn't totally Japanese in every way. I don't get why people sit around and hate on dubs anyway. Not only do you NOT HAVE TO WATCH THEM, but they're what introduced 99% of fans to anime in the first place. Would any of us even be here if we hadn't seen dubbed anime on TV? Really? Would we?
Oct 29, 2015 4:55 AM

Oct 2008
straggy said:
People that prefer subs to this degree are so laughably pathetic. Blind dub hating only comes from being so far up Japan's ass that you hate anything that isn't totally Japanese in every way. I don't get why people sit around and hate on dubs anyway. Not only do you NOT HAVE TO WATCH THEM, but they're what introduced 99% of fans to anime in the first place. Would any of us even be here if we hadn't seen dubbed anime on TV? Really? Would we?

What absolute nonsense. You have absolutely zero idea why sub fans like watching the subs over dubs. It has NOTHING to do with the idea that everything Japanese is automatically better. Please stop perpetuating that blatant piece of misinformation.

For me, and many sub fans (though I can't speak for all of them), it is the idea of the importance of accuracy. When you dub something, you lose a lot of the original work (more so than what is lost in translation via sub). It's pretty much similar to how I wouldn't want to watch an American cartoon dubbed in Japanese or a Hong Kong action movie dubbed in Korean. Heck, there are even Japanese who prefer the original American version. Are they Westaboos now?

The edits themselves are funny and enjoyable, but I don't see why they couldn't have created new shows and establish new identities for them instead of latching on to an established work - which I do find rather disrespectful to the original, especially if people have not seen the original or are not aware of it. It creates a diverging image of the characters and the fact that the dubs are official adds to the confusion as it lends a sense authenticity that no fan abridged series will have.

On the level of principle, I can't stand for things like these because they do give companies an impetus to do whatever they want with anime as long as they can make it appeal to a market and sell. One can argue that these dubs made the show better. However, that's not the point as "better" is completely subjective. And because the changes are subjective, the only fact that remains relevant in this argument is that they are changed.

Many people don't really care that changes were made to Samurai Pizza Cats or Ghost Stories because they don't care for the originals. However, they should be reminded that there are people who do care for the original characters and hate to see them desecrated like this. What if one day they happen to mess with a show that you like? I mean, many of these same people complain about the 4kids edits and Cardcaptors and such. The truth of the matter is, they only care when it affects a show they like. I don't want to wait for that day, so I am always against edits of any kind. (I am here reminded of the 1950s poem "First They Came..." written by Martin Niemoller. Do check it out.)

I don't have a particular attachment to this show, but I can't help but feel for such comments:

CodenameD52 said:
I personally think ADV's dub was even more retarded than what they made of Keiichirou in the Anime no matter what Aniplex and those shitheads reviewers who gave it an A+ thinks. All those reasons I loved the characters for, ADV just took it away, tore it to pieces, burned 'em and scattered the ashes. The characters in the ADV was pathetic and made me fill with disgust just by hearing them. God they're being profane left and right and talks too much nonsense. Only character whom I actually did not mind hearing was Amonojaku (as the Cat). Although he still spoke shit at times his lines were the only ones that entertained me and retains some similarity to the original Amonojaku.

Lastly, for shows like Ghost Stories in particular, I find it sad that both the dub and the sub are marketed and labeled as the same show. With such drastic changes, they should be recognized as separate entries on sites like MAL and ANN. One of the reasons I say this is because it encourages an unfair comparison between the two versions - where people bash the original for being boring when it wasn't made for an adult audience, unlike the dub. Not to mention, they share the same ratings.

You don't have to agree. But at least try to understand where we are coming from.
ActarOct 29, 2015 5:01 AM
Jan 27, 2016 7:38 PM
Mar 2015
Holy SHIT....it is motherfucking awesome. I also have to admit that Satsuki gives me a huge boner (OMG those panties....mmmmmm). Anyway, great show!!!
Feb 2, 2016 1:12 PM

Jul 2013
I guess I'm in the minority in saying I preferred the sub. Or the Animax dub. Not out of some weird sense of eliticism, but because I prefer the accurate storyline. Ghosts at School was my very first anime, and I watched the Animax dub, which is loyal to the true script. So I was pretty horrified and actually upset when I heard the new dub.
Feb 3, 2016 11:52 AM

May 2014
psychoalchemist said:
I guess I'm in the minority in saying I preferred the sub. Or the Animax dub. Not out of some weird sense of eliticism, but because I prefer the accurate storyline. Ghosts at School was my very first anime, and I watched the Animax dub, which is loyal to the true script. So I was pretty horrified and actually upset when I heard the new dub.
The Animax dub is the new dub. The ADV gag dub was the original dub, because the show was trash, no one watched it, and they were trying to figure out a way to get people to buy it and break even.
- Anonymous
Feb 3, 2016 6:00 PM

Jul 2013
TheFilthyCasual said:
psychoalchemist said:
The Animax dub is the new dub. The ADV gag dub was the original dub, because the show was trash, no one watched it, and they were trying to figure out a way to get people to buy it and break even.

You're right, my mistake. Haha I did some research yesterday and realized the Animax dub did come after the ADV dub. I never realized, since I watched the Animax dub as a kid and didn't find the ADV dub until years later. Thanks for pointing it out!
Mar 11, 2016 12:21 AM

Jul 2013
How am I supposed to laugh my ass off with the black hating comedy the English provides if I watch the sub.
Mar 26, 2016 6:56 PM
Mar 2016
ADV's Dubbed version all the way.

To everyone who prefers the Subs or Animax's Dubs, accuracy isn't everything when it comes to translations. Quite often if you translate literally you get something that won't connect to the audience quite as well, so some of the best translations in anime and elsewhere are the ones the "localize" references to culture and pop-culture.

As for this version: the original, no matter how you put it, was mediocre at best. It fell squarely into the animation age ghetto, where the people making the original product just wanted to make something and get money out of it. It is ridden with cliches and hackneyed writing, and isn't suitable for anyone who's going to think about for longer than the time it takes for the end credits to roll. It is, in short, a show made for children, those who can't determine quality product for themselves.

The Gag Dub was a reaction to that. They wanted to make money off the product, and making a straight Dub would not have accomplished that. It bombed in Japan originally because of all the above reasons. It was a terrible show. To make money, they changed the essence of what it was about, creating a show for a different demographic in a different genre entirely.

If you liked that the original script: fine. That's great, i would have loved watching a show filled with crazy ghosts and panty-shots at that age as well. But the fact of the matter is, they took what was a mediocre Horror anime and turned it into pretty good Comedy. If you are offended by what is essentially a bastardization of one of your favorite childhood cartoons, sure thing! A lot of people are also mad at Micheal Bay for making an outrageously popular version of Transformers. Is it better? Well, it's a better mindless action movie and popcorn flick, that's for sure. I hate the Transformers movies as much as anyone, but if you turn off your fanboy(and logic centers...) it remains a series of good action movies ala the Schwarzeneggerflicks of the 80s, but with bigger robots.

This isn't a case of the dub totally ruining the source material, as with the old 4Kids dub of One Piece, this is a case of complete separation from the source material in a new creative direction. They aren't the same anime, they're different anime that happen to share a few of the same things. The only reason more than a handful of people anywhere in the world know of this anime is because of this split, so whatever your opinion, the Gag Dub worked. It did the job, it made money in a way the original script never could have, and never will.
conantheimpMar 26, 2016 7:00 PM
Mar 27, 2016 12:07 AM

May 2015
The dubbed version for sure! Bless ADV.
Apr 22, 2016 6:41 PM

Mar 2014
The dub is not as funny as many here make it to be. I watched it dubbed, and the subs of some scenes, and the script changes are minimal to the story. The jokes themselves are hit and miss, though i must confess i ran through this anime pretty quickly by my standards.

I have no problem with the sub, i would have watched it too if the story was way different. I just happened to pick the dub first.
May 25, 2016 3:12 PM

Apr 2009
i only watch anime Subbed, god knows what sort of things they might go through before they're dubbed, i just feel like there's a much bigger risk of losing lots of the content when watching a dub ^_^'
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
May 25, 2016 3:46 PM

Feb 2014
Latinamerican dub.
Jun 18, 2017 7:08 PM
Jun 2015
I prefered the animax dub more than the adv dub.
Jun 27, 2017 1:44 PM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Watched the sub and just found it super boring and cliche. Dub left me in stitches at least.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 9, 2017 2:18 PM

Mar 2016
Just skimming through this thread I've come to the conclusion that dub fans are literally the worst.
Jul 23, 2017 7:03 AM
Jul 2016
cwtgcheese said:
Just skimming through this thread I've come to the conclusion that dub fans are literally the worst.

After reading through this thread I noticed everyone who says they like the subbed version seems to only enjoy it because they do not like the dub version. It's fine if you do not like the dubbed version, the humor is not for everyone. However, that doesn't mean you need to like the original version out of spite for the dubbed.

The series did understandably poor in Japan for good reasons. You don't need to defend the subbed version because of some wrapped belief that if you don't you're not a "Pure and true" anime fan.
Jul 23, 2017 8:03 AM

Mar 2016

Nah. I've watched it subbed and there's nothing egregiously bad about it. It's an episodic supernatural shenanigans show, obviously for a younger audience. I enjoyed it for what it was. You an disagree with me about that, but whatever.

The dub seems to me a product of the times. I see no reason why anyone would need to watch it nowadays, but how autistically adamant people on the internet are about it makes me think it's all just a dumb meme.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 20 Discussion

Ranivus - Apr 1, 2010

46 by matheoo41 »»
Mar 25, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 18 Discussion

Ranivus - Apr 1, 2010

19 by matheoo41 »»
Mar 20, 7:54 PM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 15 Discussion

Ranivus - Mar 28, 2010

24 by matheoo41 »»
Feb 20, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 12 Discussion

Ranivus - Mar 28, 2010

37 by Sexyjutsu »»
Feb 12, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 10 Discussion

stand - Oct 22, 2013

21 by Sexyjutsu »»
Feb 7, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.