Forum Settings
Forums

What was your first anime, and who introduced you?

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 28, 2014 5:42 AM
May 2013
OtakuToyaMiyako said:
My first anime was Vampire Knight. One of my friends was obsessed with Zero Kiryuu and I watched it to see what all the fuss was about.

That was me! ....... 3 yrs ago..... =.=

First Anime- Vampire Knight
I was introduced to it by the TV..... Then the obsession started....

[EDIT] Or maybe it was Pokemon....
I forgot...
May 28, 2014 5:51 AM

Jan 2014
My first anime was sailor moon

My mother introduced it to me when she said go watch tv, I need some rest cause you are hyperactive :D
When I turned on the TV it was airing atm. After that i watched it every day and now i can't remember anything about it
May 31, 2014 11:25 PM

May 2014
Dragon ball use to be on when I would come home from school.
Minori Kushieda Forever <3

May 31, 2014 11:39 PM

Oct 2013
dragon ball !!! didn't know what it was since i was so young at the time then dbz and pokemon soon followed
[/quote]
May 31, 2014 11:43 PM

Oct 2013
sora no otoshimono, wikipedia
Jun 1, 2014 12:20 AM

May 2013
While I did watch Pokemon and Sonic X, as well as Yu-Gi-Oh, and other stuff as a kid, I never knew it was anime. A great deal later, I watched Birdy the Mighty Decode. At that point I'd long known what anime was, and always had a little wish to check it out. I was browsing Netflix for a new show to watch, and I decided to try an anime, since I had recently watched a Miyazaki Movie, and wanted to see more anime. Honestly, I'm ashamed to say but a huge influence in my choice was the skimpy outfit Birdy wore on the cover, and the description said it would be sci fi and action, which sounded cool. I'm glad it was a very good show, and looking back, I'm happy it didn't exploit the character with fanservice that much at all, despite the outward appearance.
Jun 10, 2014 3:26 PM

Jul 2011
I don't know I can't remember I used to watch series where I did'nt even know that it was supposed to be an anime.
But I actually started with pokemon, digimon and Dragon ball.

Jun 10, 2014 3:30 PM

Jan 2013
Bubblegum Crisis.

My friend had digital cable back in the 90s.
Jun 10, 2014 4:01 PM

Apr 2014
Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Captain Tsubasa when I was a kid, it's airing every sunday morning in my country national TV channel and because of that I have to wake up early just to watch them and then get back to sleep again.
Jun 10, 2014 4:14 PM

Sep 2013
Dragonball - Toonami
The advocate of [i]equality[/i].

"Imagine if the air we breathe was a drug and makes us see a dazed, weird version of the world,
and people took 'drugs' to try and see the true world and that's why its illegal..."
-EPICBOXSKILLZ
Jun 10, 2014 4:15 PM

Aug 2011
Sailor Moon when I was a kid, it was aired at TV back then. My mother introduced it to me o_O
Jun 10, 2014 4:16 PM

Apr 2014
My first anime from when I actually knew what anime was, was Soul Eater, a guy I met on xbox 6 years back has been trying to get me into anime for years, I finally listened.
Jun 10, 2014 7:38 PM

Nov 2013
First anime from what I can remember it was either DBZ or Tenchi Muyo whenever it was first shown on Cartoon Network in the UK. Good times
KitsuneKomugiJun 10, 2014 7:49 PM
"Now, let us drink. Let us drink. Drink to the human race. In every age, there will be good humans and bad humans. Human life is too long to devote to reproduction, yet too short to devote to learning, in the helix of time. Perhaps that is why humans succumb to desire and seek release. Despite the fact that life is complete with the sun, the land and poetry." Supreme Leader Diego(Real) (Hunter x Hunter 2011)
Jun 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Aug 2012
slaydere said:

The internet.

I watched small bits and pieces of some Gundam series, which interested me, but I was never motivated enough to watch it. So I asked my friend which one should I watch first, so he said Gundam Seed.
Jun 10, 2014 7:46 PM

Jun 2014
As a small child in the early 90's, I watched various Anime on TV such as Maya the Bee, Samurai Pizza Cats, Keroppi, Dragon Ball, and Sailor Moon. I first rented great Anime movies, such as Akira & My Youth in Arcadia in 1995.

Jun 10, 2014 7:47 PM

May 2012
A friend showed me DBZ on Toonami and another one showed me their pokemon cards.
Jun 10, 2014 9:23 PM

Jul 2013
I was never really initiated. I watched anime series from TV when i was child but it's not like me or my parent's really knew the difference between anime and western cartoons. We had episode of some shows on tape (retail) but like i said it's not like my mom was introducing me or my siblings to anime by buying them.

It wasn't until like i was fourteen that i learned the term anime because i don't think i even viewed pokemon as Japanese thing.

So the first anime that i learned to recognize as anime was Dragon Ball Z. I didn't really discover it myself per say but i wouldn't say i was invited to watch it. What happened was that my little brother was watching the show from tv and i sat down to watch it too. Rest is history.

Shame though that the channel that broadcasted the show went to shitters after they got bought out. It's a shame that there's not really any channels to introduce new viewers to anime because of that unless you count one channel showing stuff like Pokemon.

The channel that showed the Dragon Ball Z showed even stuff like Neon Genesis Evangelion but i didn't myself watch it from that source.
KuruwinJun 10, 2014 9:27 PM
Jun 10, 2014 9:25 PM

May 2014
Evangelion via the Mass Effect 3 ending and a trip to TVtropes.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jun 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Apr 2013
It was either naruto or one piece
Jun 10, 2014 9:43 PM

Apr 2013
My brother - Baka to Test, excluding DBZ etc.
He basically forced me to watch it, 'cause I was ripping on him for liking such "childish shit".
I've seen more of this "immature" stuff then him now :/
Jun 10, 2014 9:47 PM
Jun 2014
Serial Experiments Lain and Robotech: Macross Saga. I say both cause a friend loaned them to me in 2002 after I said Anime is gay and childish.

I am very picky with my anime though. In my life I have only watched the above mentioned, Bleach up until they rescue Rukia(felt like a good point to call an ending for me), Death Note and Monster. I finally watched AoT and loved it(finished it in 2 days) and am now watching Steins Gate(really good so far)

Anyone want to recommend me anything good based off what you think my interests are feel free
Jun 10, 2014 9:51 PM

May 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
TheFilthyCasual said:
Evangelion via the Mass Effect 3 ending and a trip to TVtropes.
Wait, how do you get to Evangelion via Mass Effect? :O
You missed the TvTropes part.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jun 10, 2014 10:00 PM

May 2014
I've got to admit..my first anime was Dragon Balls(i was a kid back then)..T.V.
but my first seriously watched anime is Elfen Lied ...and SAO made me an 'otaku i guess..Anime sites?
LlumiJun 10, 2014 10:07 PM
Jun 10, 2014 10:24 PM

Jul 2013
My uncle introduced me to anime by watching Sailor Moon, DBZ, Yu yu Hakusho, Tenchi, and Rurouni Kenshin with me on Toonami.

Then, at the time, I was also watching Pokemon with my brother, Digimon by myself, and I only realized that what I was watching was anime after I REALLY got into Inuyasha.

After that, I have been a free anime bird.
Jun 10, 2014 10:34 PM

Apr 2014
Cartoon network's toonami introduced me to DBZ, and pokemon was on the upn channel around the same time in the late 90s.

Those were the first two anime shows I watched besides samurai pizza cats.
Jun 10, 2014 11:02 PM

May 2011
Well, I watched DBZ, Pokemon, YuGiOh, Naruto on others as a kid. But the one that got me totally into anime, manga and LNs was Sekirei, which I stumbled upon on Netflix during freshman year of high school. Jeez, I suffered the feels xD I liked it so much I went online to read the manga, one thing lead to another, and now I've ended up picking a ton of series and joining MAL and other anime/manga forums :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2014 2:22 AM

Mar 2008
A good friend of mine bought Slayers - The Motion Picture on VHS and I borrowed it. Have loved anime ever since.
<^_^>
Jun 11, 2014 2:29 AM

Apr 2014
Pokemon. The card game was all over school and it has a national broadcast every day at 17:00 and a recap of all episodes during the week on Saturday at 06:00. DBZ took that slot a year or so later.

Jun 11, 2014 2:37 AM

Oct 2013
Dragon Ball Z on TV.
I didn't know what anime was back then. Also, it aired in my native language (which was a lot lot worse than the English dub I watched later).
Jun 11, 2014 3:21 AM

Jul 2013
My "unofficial" first anime when I didn't know what anime was, was either DBZ or Pokemon on TV, I don't remember which I watched first.

My "official" first anime was Naruto, a show which I came to dislike later when I watched better anime.
Jun 11, 2014 3:51 AM

Aug 2013
Sailor Moon when it first came out. I was like 4 or 5. It was on tv. When I was 6, I made best friends with a 5 year old, and we'd pretend to be sailor scouts during recess. We always argued over who got to be sailor moon. I argued that I was blonde... while she had black hair so she had to be sailor mars. She argued that I should be sailor venus instead.

We still talk to this day... and guess who cosplays as sailor mars at all the conventions and still insists I should be sailor venus? lol
Jun 11, 2014 5:39 AM

Jun 2014
The first anime I remember watching (Besides Pokemon) is Yu Yu Hakusho on Animax. Never got to finish it though.
Jun 11, 2014 5:51 AM

Apr 2013
I don't like it when people say their first anime was ______ (usually Pokemon or anything on toonami)
I like to consider it for when you actually knew it was an anime, but whatever.
First was Fruits Basket around a year ago. I had a friend who liked anime and I always made fun of him for it (jokingly) then I tried fruits basket after seeing my friends poster of it.
Jun 11, 2014 7:30 AM

Aug 2013
Landmines said:
I don't like it when people say their first anime was ______ (usually Pokemon or anything on toonami)
First was Fruits Basket around a year ago. I had a friend who liked anime and I always made fun of him for it (jokingly) then I tried fruits basket after seeing my friends poster of it.

You may find this hard to believe, but once upon a time... most people did not own a computer. Watching anime on the tv was the -only- way to watch it unless you were old enough to work and buy your own vhs tapes (if you were lucky enough to find any). Streaming was unheard of and ebay didn't exist. I knew well what anime was, and sailor moon is actually just what got me into it. You shouldn't assume that having watched those first means they didn't know what it was, but possibly just that they're older than you and lived in a time before computers and dvds.

505 said:
The first anime I remember watching (Besides Pokemon) is Yu Yu Hakusho on Animax. Never got to finish it though.

I never finished anything I started watching XD I would have after school activities and miss random episodes, or they would change the schedule on me and I wouldn't bother checking the guide. Now I go back and rewatch the whole series to catch up with the ones I missed before, haha.
JadeQuetzalJun 11, 2014 7:33 AM
Jun 11, 2014 7:34 AM

Feb 2010
JadeQuetzal said:
Landmines said:

You may find this hard to believe, but once upon a time... most people did not own a computer. Watching anime on the tv was the -only- way to watch it unless you were old enough to work and buy your own vhs tapes (if you were lucky enough to find any). Streaming was unheard of and ebay didn't exist. I knew well what anime was, and sailor moon is actually just what got me into it. You shouldn't assume that having watched those first means they didn't know what it was, but possibly just that they're older than you and lived in a time before computers and dvds.

I find it hard to imagine a 5 year old having a good grasp on what anime is and all the cultural implications though. I think it is because most of us were young back when we watched anime on TV that that is hard to believe. I know I vaguely knew that Dragonball was from Japan and not a 'normal' cartoon as a kid, but I didn't even know the term anime was a thing, nor would I have understood very well what it meant.
Not saying that you couldn't have known, just that ageism is not the main reason why it's hard to imagine.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 11, 2014 7:37 AM

May 2013
Moomin, My family.
Highly recommended.
Jun 11, 2014 8:06 AM

Aug 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I find it hard to imagine a 5 year old having a good grasp on what anime is and all the cultural implications though. I think it is because most of us were young back when we watched anime on TV that that is hard to believe. I know I vaguely knew that Dragonball was from Japan and not a 'normal' cartoon as a kid, but I didn't even know the term anime was a thing, nor would I have understood very well what it meant.
Not saying that you couldn't have known, just that ageism is not the main reason why it's hard to imagine.

I remember when I was 6, arguing with my friend that I could still be sailor moon even though I wasn't short, because the japanese were just naturally short and that's why they made her like that... but I'm american, so it doesn't count for me (her argument was that she was short and I wasn't... sailor moon was the shortest... so I couldn't be her). So at least when I was 6, I understood that it was japanese animation, and that there were differences because of it and between the countries. My daughter is going on 5 in july, and she knows that there is a style difference and she knows that it is from a different country with a different language that act different than us. She will actually get annoyed if you call american cartoons anime and she'll correct you (she doesn't like people to tell "lies"). Of course she wouldn't have some deep understanding the cultural differences. Even some of the younger members on this forum only have a vague grasp on it. But you don't have to be able to understand every cultural joke on there to either enjoy it or know that it's anime and what anime is.

Of course, my daughter has been around anime her whole life, and I have an older brother who was into anime back then. So perhaps it's better to say that those of us had had enough exposure to it would have been better able to understand what it was at a young age.

Regardless, not knowing enough to write a book on the topic doesn't mean someone isn't a fan of that genre. I love country music... I listen to it all the time. I can sing along with any song that comes on the radio... but I couldn't name 95% of the artists or even the song titles that I sing along to. I really don't like the attitude that someone isn't allowed to say they like something unless they are completely absorbed in it.
Jun 11, 2014 8:32 AM

Feb 2010
JadeQuetzal said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I remember when I was 6, arguing with my friend that I could still be sailor moon even though I wasn't short, because the japanese were just naturally short and that's why they made her like that... but I'm american, so it doesn't count for me (her argument was that she was short and I wasn't... sailor moon was the shortest... so I couldn't be her). So at least when I was 6, I understood that it was japanese animation, and that there were differences because of it and between the countries. My daughter is going on 5 in july, and she knows that there is a style difference and she knows that it is from a different country with a different language that act different than us. She will actually get annoyed if you call american cartoons anime and she'll correct you (she doesn't like people to tell "lies"). Of course she wouldn't have some deep understanding the cultural differences. Even some of the younger members on this forum only have a vague grasp on it. But you don't have to be able to understand every cultural joke on there to either enjoy it or know that it's anime and what anime is.

Of course, my daughter has been around anime her whole life, and I have an older brother who was into anime back then. So perhaps it's better to say that those of us had had enough exposure to it would have been better able to understand what it was at a young age.

Regardless, not knowing enough to write a book on the topic doesn't mean someone isn't a fan of that genre. I love country music... I listen to it all the time. I can sing along with any song that comes on the radio... but I couldn't name 95% of the artists or even the song titles that I sing along to. I really don't like the attitude that someone isn't allowed to say they like something unless they are completely absorbed in it.

That's not what this is about, it's just that most people genuinely didn't think about it nearly as much as you did when they watched 'anime' on TV as a kid so I think it's reasonable to count your first voluntary exposure as your first experience with the medium. I remember my first time was when I remembered DBZ from my childhood and thought 'hey that was always cool, and wasn't it japanese? Let's see if I can find something similar' and then got into anime as I know it. You mentioned your environment having an older brother anime fan around so I think you're an exception.

On an unrelated note (and just because I like this theoretical debate about what constitutes fandom), I do think that being a fan(atic) requires some level of above-average enthusiasm (fanaticism) for the medium, that can express itself in various ways. Immersing yourself in knowledge about the medium is just one of these ways, practical knowledge (like being able to sing along with all the related songs) is another one. I just don't think that having a hobby and being mildly interested in something immediately makes you a fan, there needs to be more to it than 'something I sometimes like to do' or the word fan becomes pretty meaningless compared to similar terms that express less enthusiasm. It also carries some universal notion with it as far as I'm concerned. if you said you were a fan of country music, but actually hated 80% of all country musicians, I would find that weird. Same goes for anime, being a fan of a 2 or 3 isolated shows doesn't make you a fan of the medium, it makes you a fan of those shows.

Now of course it's not about not allowing people to call themselves fans, I just personally don't feel comfortable saying I'm a fan of something, when I really are just mildly interested or like some selected titles/artists of the genre. I like a lot of different music genres, but would only call myself a fan of one of them, though I'm a fan of a lot of different bands/artists.

You don't need to agree, but I just want the word fan to mean something more than 'I like this' or 'this is interesting'. Not that this debate related to the topic at hand though :>.
Jun 11, 2014 8:50 AM

Aug 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

if you said you were a fan of country music, but actually hated 80% of all country musicians, I would find that weird.

I think you misread. I never said I hated any musicians. I just can't name many of them so readily. Maybe to someone who doesn't like country, I'd know a lot... but next to my friends who are really into the "keeping up on the gossip" stuff, I really don't know jack. I have a bad memory so I never bother getting into all that celebrity trivia stuff. I love country music, I just don't bother learning names. Sometimes I'm even nervous talking to people about anime for the same reason. My memory problems means I often frget names even of the main characters in my favorite animes, or I mix up plots from a few similar ones.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

On an unrelated note (and just because I like this theoretical debate about what constitutes fandom), I do think that being a fan(atic) requires some level of above-average enthusiasm (fanaticism) for the medium, that can express itself in various ways.

Actually, I agree with that though. Hence I was careful to say one should be able to claim they like something without being scrutinized for a deep understanding. But I also think there's a difference between saying "I like anime", "I'm an anime fan" and "I'm an otaku" (or any terms used in other hobbies)

But since the question was "what was your first anime" and not "what anime got you really into the hobby" I think it's fair game to answer what the first anime someone watched was... and don't see a point in getting annoyed at those who answer the question literally.
Jun 11, 2014 9:01 AM

Feb 2010
JadeQuetzal said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

if you said you were a fan of country music, but actually hated 80% of all country musicians, I would find that weird.

I think you misread. I never said I hated any musicians. I just can't name many of them so readily. Maybe to someone who doesn't like country, I'd know a lot... but next to my friends who are really into the "keeping up on the gossip" stuff, I really don't know jack. I have a bad memory so I never bother getting into all that celebrity trivia stuff. I love country music, I just don't bother learning names. Sometimes I'm even nervous talking to people about anime for the same reason. My memory problems means I often frget names even of the main characters in my favorite animes, or I mix up plots from a few similar ones.

I think you misunderstood, I wrote 'If' because it was just a hypothetical scenario to explain what I was going for. I know you didn't say that.
I do think you can love something without being a fan of it? I don't know, this is getting too technical here. Let me just say that I don't have a problem with not being informed about the history, how the medium/genre works etc..., it just becomes an issue when people like that start making bold statements based on their 'experience' when they actually have no clue what they are talking about. I'm back at the topic of anime again with this, but there are a lot of people like that. Not staying up to date because you don't like to gossip and have a bad memory is a different issue, but not being informed while still thinking of yourself as a well-informed fan, that can be annoying to deal with.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

On an unrelated note (and just because I like this theoretical debate about what constitutes fandom), I do think that being a fan(atic) requires some level of above-average enthusiasm (fanaticism) for the medium, that can express itself in various ways.

Actually, I agree with that though. Hence I was careful to say one should be able to claim they like something without being scrutinized for a deep understanding. But I also think there's a difference between saying "I like anime", "I'm an anime fan" and "I'm an otaku" (or any terms used in other hobbies)

But since the question was "what was your first anime" and not "what anime got you really into the hobby" I think it's fair game to answer what the first anime someone watched was... and don't see a point in getting annoyed at those who answer the question literally.

Yeah absolutely. I don't think Landmines was particularly annoyed though. And I get where he's coming from, the main reason being that you always get the same answers for childhood shows (dragonball, sailor moon, pokemon...) and it's more interesting to hear which shows sparked the 'adult interest' in anime, given that most people have those two separate 'phases'. It's something that always comes up in threads like that at least once.
Jun 11, 2014 10:37 PM

Aug 2013
Either Ikkyu, Hellow Kitty, or Detective Conan.

My parents were fans of Detective Conan :)
Jun 11, 2014 11:35 PM

Nov 2013
UGHHHH, Why does this keep coming back? I want some new threads damn it!
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 12, 2014 4:36 PM

Jun 2014
I started off on the standard Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon and DBZ as a kid, but it wasn't until my sister introduced me to Yu Yu Hakusho that I knew anime was something I wanted to seek out. I had no idea what anime was at the time. They were all just cartoons to my silly kid brain, but for some reason, this show stood out. It was something magical. From that point on, I started dabbling here and there, buying Ruroken vols and the like. It all just kind of built up from there until I hit where I am, now.
Jun 12, 2014 10:31 PM

Apr 2014
When I studied abroad in China, I had a Chinese gf who watched anime a lot and she forced me to watch Attack on Titan with her. After that I realized that not all anime is as weird as I thought and could actually be pretty damn good.
Jun 12, 2014 10:47 PM

Jun 2014
The first I ever watched was Ranma 1/2 but, I didn't really liked it and I watched it because of my brother. And then a loooot of years later, I watched Naruto. So yeah, I take Naruto as my first.
Jun 12, 2014 10:53 PM

Dec 2013
Like every other 90s Kid: Pokemon or Dragonball Z, maybe the occasional Digimon, Inuyasha, Monster Rancher, etc.
Pokemon and DBZ were pretty much ubiquitous during the early 2000s, so no one in particular introduced it.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Jun 12, 2014 10:57 PM
Nov 2013
Well I used to watch anything on Toonami and Adult Swim when I was younger, but I didn't really get into it until one of my friends showed my Higurashi. I love that anime to death.
Jun 12, 2014 11:25 PM
Jun 2014
Pretty sure it was a Ghibli movie, probably My Neighbor Totoro ?? My step dad showed me it when i was really little loll
Jun 13, 2014 8:46 AM

Jun 2014
I do not know if qualifies as anime because it is American, but the first anime I actually became a fan of was the Last Airbender.

If that does not count, I would have to say Yu Gi Oh.
Jun 13, 2014 8:55 AM

Jan 2014
It was prolly some entry level shonen like Dragon Ball or Saint Seiya, can't recall exact one.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

149 by Ari4 »»
32 seconds ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
15 minutes ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

177 by Ari4 »»
16 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

19 by Lucifrost »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.