Forum Settings
Forums

What was your first anime, and who introduced you?

Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Mar 15, 2014 4:36 AM

It was probably Pokemon when I woulda been very young. At the time I didn't think of it as anything other than a cartoon of course, same with Digimon which I found soon after. Probably wasn't until DBZ and other series on Toonami that I began making the distinction. No one actively introduced me to any of these early series I just found them on my own. In fact I can still remember flipping through the channels and seeing a giant monkey wearing clothes trying to attack a guy as my very first encounter with DBZ.

Mar 15, 2014 5:00 AM

I'd watch the usual stuff the kids watched on TV (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade, Pokemon and Digimon) and some more unsual stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura but Dragon Ball Z: Budokai introduced me to Dragonball which made me the big anime fan I am today.

Mar 15, 2014 5:09 AM

Mine was... Tokyo Mew Mew, back when it started airing in 2002. At the time I was around 5 years old, but it was still really fun to watch, so I decided to look into it a bit. And I've ended up here. No-one introduced me, unless you count a TV as a person.

Mar 15, 2014 5:25 AM

Sukitte Ii na yo.

I just stumbled upon it. Not really sure how, but I just did.
I ended up watching it and got confused why there was only 6 episodes, then I watched it 3 months later. (apparently it was airing)
2 months after that I started watching a ton of RomComs and FMA and got into animu.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 15, 2014 5:43 AM

Mine was Naruto and Bleach, like many but before that I had always enjoyed JRPGs like Drag-On Dragoon (Drakengard) or Fire Embelem.
Modified by 101gill, Mar 15, 2014 5:47 AM
Which knght are you?
Give an internet?
RedHeadphones said:
Please, why would I play skyrim if there wasn't a nude female mod? Gameplay? Pfft.

Mar 15, 2014 6:04 AM

The first anime I ever recall seeing was an episode of Sailor Moon. If I remember correctly, I was at my grandma's house and my sister (a year older than me and we were both under 10 at the time) was watching it. I didn't think much of it since I was a boy and it seemed like a girl's show. My sister thought it was really cool though.

The first anime movie I've ever seen (and the fact that it counts enrages me because I went the longest time not considering it an anime) was Nemo in Slumberland. My GOD that movie SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKEEEDDDD!!!!!

The first anime I ever watched and constantly went back to watching was Digimon when I was about 12 or so.

So...I can't really say anyone introduced me to anime. Although, I will give props to animefan8492 here on MAL for introducing me to some great romantic dramas like Angel Beats, ef-a tale of memories, and Spice+Wolf. I probably never would've watched them before if he didn't insist that I watch them.

Mar 15, 2014 6:39 AM

I watched a few movies when I was younger like Ghost in the Shell, but I don't really count those because I didn't differentiate them from other movies at the time.

My first real anime was Death Note.

Mar 15, 2014 7:10 AM

Dragonball z
Television

Mar 15, 2014 7:40 AM
I first discovered it on television. But I actually became a fan when I heard some of my friends talking about it in class.

Dragon Ball Z is the first one I completed, but Naruto is what got me into anime.

Mar 15, 2014 8:37 AM

Card Captor Sakura.
Well, that's about 6 years ago, and I even now don't realize why I watched this....
What a coincidence. CCS is also a Mahoushoujo type anime as Mahou Shoujo Madoka, which is one of my favorite, and full of yuri. :-P

Mar 15, 2014 8:49 AM

Mmmmmh... Pokemon or DBZ, maybe. My TV did.

Mar 15, 2014 10:35 AM

Probably either Bakusou Let's and Go (was airing in Chinese TVs), Sen to Chihiro Kamikakushi, or Madou King Granzort (also airing on Chinese TV)
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱

Mar 15, 2014 10:36 AM

Dragon Ball Z.

And Myself.

Mar 15, 2014 11:09 AM

Hmmm I don't exactly remember what my first Anime was, but I'm pretty sure it was Dragonball. I was just searching through the channels looking for cartoons like any normal child would, when I stumbled upon Dragonball. I didn't even know what Anime was back then, but I knew I loved it. =^-^=

Mar 15, 2014 11:15 AM

Evangelion, I still was 12I still was 12 when I watched,
By this time did not even know the difference between animes and cartoons
I'm an Touhou Fan! and you?

Mar 15, 2014 11:45 AM

Highschool of the Dead.

My friend.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.

Mar 15, 2014 12:51 PM

No one really introduced me to Pokemon, Digimon, and ( later on) Yugioh, and DBZ. It was always on television. However, those were before I was able to differentiate between American cartoon and anime.

What got me into anime was Yu Yu hakusho. I was watching DBGT during that time, but YYh was AMAZING.I never seen so match action/storyline before. It got canceled for awhile, and then I discovered that it was being aired in the morning. I was so excited that I wanted to tell the world. Eventually, I found out that people were putting it on youtube (2006) :) so I rewatched every episode.

Naruto (Zabuza arc was the bomb), Fruits Basket, Kodocha, Inuyasha, and FMA were soon to follow.

Mar 15, 2014 2:37 PM

I was basically born watching anime. My dad was a Dragon Ball fan, and I grew up watching it. I watched Doraemon, Sailor Moon, and Dragon Ball before I was 3.
My YouTube channel, where I do unboxings and show off my anime collection, merchandise, and other swag:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TCTriangle

Mar 15, 2014 2:51 PM

My first "real" anime was Death Note, and I just came across it on the Internet.

Mar 15, 2014 3:05 PM

My Neighbor Totoro. Parents bought it for me on VHS when I was a baby. Thanks Mom+Dad!

Mar 15, 2014 3:09 PM

Saber Rider or Iga no Kabamaru.
I just found them on a kiddy channel when I was a little brat.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 15, 2014 5:02 PM

Akira

And no one

I was surfing the TV then suddenly I seen this "cartoon" with biker gangs, and a womans shirt got ripped off, I was like

HOLY SHIT! *kept going back to see what would be shown next*

Mar 15, 2014 5:05 PM

Hello to all the community first, since this is my first post here!

I was introduced by a guy from highschool about ten years ago... sadly, I've lost contact with him despite I've tried to restablish it by all means. First anime I saw (not taking into account Dragon Ball or so) was Love Hina... and yeah, that was the first step in this incredibly amazing and thrilling journey! I'd like to say hello to Charley Marie just in case he drops by these forums anytime.
- Don't ever give up, my son.
- Father?!
- Follow me, Fox.

Mar 15, 2014 5:48 PM

Dragonball Z or Tenchi Muyo but I forgot about Tenchi Muyo until 2011 and continued watching DBZ.

Toonami or back then it was called CNX introduced me, or was it Cartoon Network?
Modified by GreatWarlord, Mar 15, 2014 5:56 PM

Mar 16, 2014 4:49 AM
The first anime I watched was pokemon. I watched bits of it when I was younger and then a year ago I started watching it again. This led to me wanting to watch more and different anime series.

Mar 16, 2014 5:06 AM

sophie4391 said:
My first anime was Pokemon and the tv introduced me to it.

Mar 16, 2014 5:16 AM

This thread existed?

My first anime and manga was Mirai Nikki and I was introduced to it by adventuring and finding Yuno Gasai on the internet and afterwards she introduced me to the thing.

Mar 18, 2014 7:19 PM
Lord_Pooka said:
This thread existed?

My first anime and manga was Mirai Nikki and I was introduced to it by adventuring and finding Yuno Gasai on the internet and afterwards she introduced me to the thing.

Wha? I didn't see it if there was one, sorry!

Mar 18, 2014 7:42 PM

Lord_Pooka said:
This thread existed?

We are one in the same. I was looking through youtube when I saw the op and thought...I must watch this chineses cartoon. I didn't know what anime even was but I knew it had to be good. I'm referring to non-childhood anime of course.

I can see you

Mar 18, 2014 7:43 PM

Ranma 1/2 my uncle.
perv4lyf

Mar 18, 2014 8:04 PM

My first non tv anime was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, watched it following finding a hilarious amv of it on Youtube xD

Mar 18, 2014 8:12 PM

It's kind of embarrassing but, I was like 9 so...Mirumo de Pon. I watched every single episode and re-run on TV. (it fueled my existence back then)
"head cool, hot heart"

Mar 18, 2014 8:25 PM

Pokemon.

I wish it wasn't.

Mar 18, 2014 9:12 PM
The first anime that got me interested into this community would have to be Darker Than Black.
My friends told me I would probably would like it, and they were right.
Since it was one of my first, it will always be one of my favorites and Yin is best girl.

Mar 22, 2014 5:43 PM

Fruits Basket was my first anime and my best friend was the one who introduced me to it. I had the biggest crush on Hatsuharu.

Mar 22, 2014 5:45 PM

Saint Seiya.
And my father.

Mar 23, 2014 2:59 AM
I see my older brother watch Dragon Ball Z on Toonami, so I watch it with him, didn't know what anime was when I was younger. When I grew older, he introduce me to Naruto, then I started knowing what anime is.

Mar 23, 2014 3:03 AM

l dont really remember my first anime, when l was a kid l used to watch Digimon, Pokemon, Detective Conan, DBZ...but Naruto was my first anime knowing that was an anime

Mar 23, 2014 3:18 AM

First Anime Ive Watched was Pokemon... when i was like 7 or some shiz.
First anime that kept me entertained was Yugi'Oh when I was in Primary School.
First Anime that I watched from start to finish was FULL METAL ALCHEMIST
"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Mar 23, 2014 3:33 AM

My dad was watching Bleach and was bragging about the number of episodes. He used to say - if you think that's many, go watch Naruto, there's even more episodes there. When I complained about that to my best friend, it turned out that she had watched Naruto and recommended it to me.

Mar 23, 2014 4:05 AM

First anime that I watched was Pokemon but the anime that got me watching anime knowing it was anime was Ghost in the Shell... I remember watching that at 14 and being blown away... was at my friends Dave's and I remember asking him what the hell this was, and where can I watch more.

Mar 23, 2014 5:16 AM

I was introduced to Anime three times but only the third time made me stay in this "world".

1. As a child (I must have been around 6 years old) I watched Heidi on TV every evening, so I was kind of introduced to it by my mother. Nobody knew this was something called Anime from Japan, so... yeah

2. A friend told me to watch Naruto and Vampire Knight when I was around 13, I watched both, but I still couldn't really enjoy it to the extent my friend did, I just didn't find it interesting enough to continue watching Anime.

3. When I was 14, a transfer student from China who was obsessed with Anime came to my school in Germany, we became friends and she told me about Angel Beats. This was it for me. =D
"Live to the point of tears."
- Albert Camus

Mar 23, 2014 5:20 AM

Pokemon , but that was when i was still little.
Because of attack on titan i watched more anime's.
My sister told me that attack on titan was great so i watched it and it was great.
Before that i watched highschool of the dead but that was not why i watched more anime's
Modified by Thatsnotme1, Mar 23, 2014 5:28 AM

Mar 23, 2014 5:25 AM
yugioh gx was my first 6 years ago at the time yugioh was really popular in my school and a guy said i should watch it

Mar 23, 2014 5:46 AM

I think the broadcasting system in my country is to blame for my anime passion...
I cannot recall exactly what anime had been my first (I was THAT young), but it is gotta be either Pokemon, DBZ or Sailor Moon. However, the first animes I consciously watched are Kaleido Star, Naruto and Shaman King.

Mar 23, 2014 5:56 AM

AkiyeHanasaki said:
I think the broadcasting system in my country is to blame for my anime passion...
I cannot recall exactly what anime had been my first (I was THAT young), but it is gotta be either Pokemon, DBZ or Sailor Moon. However, the first animes I consciously watched are Kaleido Star, Naruto and Shaman King.

What TV channel broadcasted Sailor Moon? I'm curious 'cause here in the Netherlands we never had shows like Sailor Moon or Ranma 1/2 on TV. Must it have been some America exclusive show or something? :p Numerous people on here say that SM was one of their childhood anime...

Mar 23, 2014 6:48 AM

slaydere said:

The internet.

You do know that Avatar isn't an anime, right?

Mar 23, 2014 6:52 AM
The anime that really got me into anime was One Piece. I don't now why, but somesay I started watching it from 0 to 400 (that's where the german dub ends) Than I found out, that there was an Japanese version that goes above 400 and I watched it.
After that I watchted all mainstream shonens, Naruto, Bleach with like 15-20 episodes a day over a very long period of time.
And that finally got me into anime.

Mar 23, 2014 9:11 AM
I watched Naruto on Cartoon Network, wasn't too impressed. A few years later, at (for lack of a better way to describe it) boarding school, my roommate conned me into watching Higurashi. It was different enough that I stuck with anime.
Been watching anime for years now, the list is still being updated as I remember stuff that I've seen.

Mar 23, 2014 9:24 AM

Slam Dunk, I watched it when I was 6
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.

Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »