Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Major S1 Episode 9 Discussion

May 14, 2009 8:22 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode. Goro was too full of his ass.

Apr 12, 2010 1:21 AM

he should just let them take it easy on them for as long as possible instead of mouthing off.

"does it count if it goes out of the park?" rofl XD

I'm glad they didn't let him stay on the mound, it would have hurt him far more than losing the game.

Apr 24, 2011 3:52 PM

Maaan,Momoko sure is tough chick.I think i'm in love.
jacobpaige said:
"does it count if it goes out of the park?" rofl XD

Yeah,lol.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~

Apr 19, 2012 10:58 PM

Teamwork is the key to victory.

Aug 16, 2012 7:40 PM

Goro was definitely in the wrong with the way he was behaving, but damn did Momoko piss me off in the way she dealt with him, what a bitch.

May 7, 2013 8:46 PM

Katagari said:
Goro was definitely in the wrong with the way he was behaving, but damn did Momoko piss me off in the way she dealt with him, what a bitch.

I think not, she could have been a total one and pull his ass out of the game yelling and screaming for Goro being an ass. Instead she decided to try to save the team from leaving and therefore Goro's chance to play Little League.

It was a very crafty move.

Oct 10, 2014 5:22 PM

Knave said:
Good episode. Goro was too full of his ass.

Pretty much, that's what he gets after only hearing he's a genius and never playing as a team though.

Dec 27, 2014 7:58 PM

Well where does the shopping district team practice? Not sure why the soccer team needs to field for both Saturday and Sunday all day either . . . But whatever.

Apr 12, 2015 12:18 PM

They are just a bunch of naive kids damn it, Sawamura's father ought to be ashamed of himself. I couldn't believe he cheered up for each points the kids gave, that jerk totally pissed me off.

Jun 25, 2015 9:16 PM

Pfffiou, Momoko saving the day. Baseball can't be played alone, that's a fact.

Komori was pretty amazing at reading the play. Now that Goro completely failed, he'll have to learn how throw strategically like a true pitcher. Remind me of Shigeharu thinking about all the possibilities when he was facing Shigeno. That's how a pitcher sould throw.

It was funny in some ways how the field player (Sawamura and Shimizu) were totally out of the conflict. They were just watching from the back, not knowing what the fuck was happening x)
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie

Jul 20, 2015 6:03 AM

goro was an idiot but his team is really shit (except for komori) and they are holding him back.

Aug 5, 2015 12:22 PM

Great episode. An important lesson learned.

Aug 13, 2015 3:34 AM

Katagari said:

That's the japanese housewife curse for you. What a bitch indeed.

The ever so true problem of weaklings pulling the strong back. That's why I hate playing collective sports. Morals are all nice and proper, but you can't really rely on people that are both incompetent and unmotivated.
Sadly there's no way to avoid that at work...

Goro should have gone to a better team. The problem would still remain but not to that extent so he wouldn't get pissed.
Instead he's forced by Momoko to put up with retards who have no motivation at all.
Modified by HapHazrD, Aug 13, 2015 3:38 AM

Mar 20, 2016 7:15 PM

Tyestor said:
goro was an idiot but his team is really shit (except for komori) and they are holding him back.

They really are, hell besides the four of them the rest of the team doesn't give a dam about the game. Doesn't completely excuse Goro's behavior but it wasn't fully unjustified.

HapHazrD said:
Katagari said:

The ever so true problem of weaklings pulling the strong back. That's why I hate playing collective sports. Morals are all nice and proper, but you can't really rely on people that are both incompetent and unmotivated.

Goro should have gone to a better team. The problem would still remain but not to that extent so he wouldn't get pissed.
Instead he's forced by Momoko to put up with retards who have no motivation at all.

Wow calling her a bitch is pretty uncalled for. If Momoko didn't get him off the mound the other kids would've left and they would've had to forfeit. Not only that but Goro was acting too much like a hotshot and started shit talking the rest of the team, well the idiots in the infield that weren't playing seriously. Sure they're completely useless but talking crap to them just makes things even worse. Momoko's decision was completely reasonable and succeeded in reversing the bad situation they were in. Not only that but Goro seems to have cooled off and those idiots in the infield are actually gonna try to play well.

Apr 15, 2016 2:54 AM

His first game was against adults, it's normal that they could hit his fastball.

Jun 30, 2016 12:24 PM
HapHazrD said:
Katagari said:

Wow, you two are complete morons and horrible people, please never have children in the future.

Aug 25, 2016 5:46 PM

Txuzai said:
Wow, you two are complete morons and horrible people, please never have children in the future.

Pretty much haha. Need to take into account that Momoko was also a teacher, so she most likely learned psychology and knows how to deal with kids in theory. And now she put those skills to use and proved to be best mom. I guess the anime won't allow us to have best dad, but at least Momoko is turning into best anime mom.

Pretty good episode overall. Goro never played a match before, and this match he's mostly playing with literally whos who don't even care about baseball. The teamwork is obviously garbage, and his strong personality didn't allow him to coordinate the team properly. Thanks to Momoko and Komori he managed to see his mistakes, and will probably work better next time. The old guys were pretty funny to watch though, really funny guys.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Dec 9, 2017 12:59 PM

Goro learned an important lesson which will help him to get an even better player, sure his dad would be proud.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Jan 31, 2018 3:48 AM

Goro getting cocky but doesn't surprise me given how he grown up, surprised tbh he's not more of a cocky asshole. Looks like he will actually try to work with his teammates.

Also poor Shizumu, hopefully she'll get a handle of baseball later on because right now she feels like a comic relief in just being plain bad which is fine at first but won't work in the future if she gonna stay in the team.

Jun 28, 10:08 AM

I took a little break from Major but I had some time so I went back to it and I'm glad! My memory was a tiny bit blurry but everything is still there minus some names. It's nice to get the sweet cheesiness of major back in my life too. The fact that Sawamura was really just misunderstanding friendship and is loving having people who treat him with respect and now gets along perfectly with everyone, and having Honda be a total jerk set up through the episode to learn a lesson instantly and perfectly are too clean- it doesn't feel real. But, it's bad at all as I've said in the past, it's a very endearing picture perfect quality.

This episode did good to set up Honda's arrogance even before playing. He said things like you guys won't have to play at all. He was seeing baseball as a single player game without realizing how important trust is, to contrast him we saw Shigeno and his father and how close they were, it's a team sport after all. Komori was actually quite the good team leader. Taking initiative twice to call out orders and keep everyone working together, being a quiet and sensitive but determined boy lends good for that, it ultimately showed Honda who just scared off his teammates Haikyu style, what teamwork looks like. At first I was feeling sad, Honda has to learn on his own now that his dad is gone. But his mom, and Ando were there to team up and teach him something that his dad wanted him to learn as we saw with the zoom in on his photo! He did once say he wanted Goro to play baseball as to learn life lessons first and foremost. This is a success!

Past the general theme of the episode, it was a good one for some other reasons. Shimizu and Honda were adorable as always, I loved him bullying her and telling her how to physically set up the batting cage for advice, it was clever. It was also adorable to see all the kids not have any idea how to play and scramble around lost. The thing I liked most was actually the adult team though! Sure Mr.Sawamura showed he's pretty harsh with his son probably leading to those behaviors his son shows. But, the actual team is goodhearted guys who are excited to play a baseball boy-genius, genuinely like seeing the high spirits, and go easy on the kids. They aren't evil adult antagonists at all! They are good guys!! And their skill is so much higher than the level our team started with here which makes total sense- no matter how sad it is to see Honda doubt himself when he finally could prove himself to his dad- at least in his head.

The line, "Don't worry. If he gives up that easily, that's all baseball meant to him." was a good one!