Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2009 7:50 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was predictable about the bully becoming nice. Good episode overall.
Apr 12, 2010 12:51 AM

Feb 2008
wtf happened to Toshi?
May 13, 2010 12:08 AM

Sep 2008
wtf... Shimizu and Goro switched seats...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2010 9:33 AM

Jul 2009
jacobpaige said:
wtf happened to Toshi?

That's what I want to know too. I kept expecting him to show up :(
Apr 19, 2012 10:02 PM

Mar 2011
I'm wondering where Toshi is as well. I thought he was going to be the catcher.
Jun 20, 2012 9:27 AM

Jun 2009
jacobpaige said:
wtf happened to Toshi?

He probably ended up in a different elementary school or something. Anyway, I guess the core group of friends has been established.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 29, 2012 3:05 PM

Jul 2011
Haha, I actually thought that Komori was Toshi.... But yea, maybe Toshi is in another school and playing for another baseball team, who knows.. :P
May 6, 2013 5:59 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah he would have fit right in. Maybe he moved away or something. Sawamura has a lot of making up to do.
Jul 11, 2013 7:24 PM

Aug 2008
Rie voice as Komori is so pleasant to hear as a child character :)
Dec 8, 2013 10:12 PM

May 2012
Hmm.. that was a sudden character change from Sawamura. He seems fishy but I guess he really regretted what he did to Komori. And Komori is pretty impressive as a catcher. Haha, it's funny how Goro always makes the girl as the "standard" comparison if a member joins.
Jan 14, 2014 1:24 PM

Nov 2010
Nice, now we can move on from bullying part.
Mar 11, 2014 8:37 AM

Dec 2012
The whole situation was predictable, but still heartwarming nevertheless. All about the execution. I don't know if it's just the art, but something about this series grows more and more nostalgic. Reminds me of my early anime watching, getting some 90s vibes. Goro is awesome. The team is complete, but I'm still hoping to see Toshi again.
Dec 27, 2014 5:51 PM

Nov 2009
Wonder how this will turn out, although it's a good thing that he already found a catcher (I'm guessing) . . . Can't exactly say I am overjoyed with the current cast's personalities although loved most of the characters so far so kind of hoping they develop quite a bit over the next few episodes, since in my opinion, the characters are what makes a sports anime good or bad.
Apr 12, 2015 11:38 AM

Aug 2013
Well that was quite sudden, his personality made a 180-degree turn.
May 18, 2015 10:26 PM

Feb 2015
That was a very touching conclusion to the mini bully arc. I'd rather have a bully learn from their mistakes than be shafted from the series entirely with no character development.
Jun 25, 2015 8:49 PM

Aug 2013
Here come Goro, showing whose the boss and whose the bitch! Only 9 years old and already badass! :D

So the team is now complete. They even got an unexpected catcher! So lucky.

I was scarred for a second when they grouped on Shimizu. Being trapped like that, she must have felt really powerless.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 20, 2015 5:04 AM
Aug 5, 2015 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
I'm surprised things worked out that way so soon.
Great episode yet again.
Aug 13, 2015 2:55 AM

Jan 2015
ForsakenDrifter said:
I'd rather have a bully learn from their mistakes than be shafted from the series entirely with no character development.

The reason for that is because real bullies rarely learn... Sawamura's change of heart was too convenient.

Shimizu is so self-righteous... I hope she'll change later. As it is she's barely endurable.

Wish she had taken one slap or two before Goro entered in white knight mode...
"You're such a jerk !" ==> "You were ready to take the fall for me, you're a nice guy now"

I really didn't like these two episodes. Maybe the school years setting is just not for me.
Dec 19, 2015 10:47 PM

Mar 2015
Knew Sawamura would turn out to be a nice guy.
Gonna enjoy watching them grow up.
Mar 20, 2016 6:38 PM

Mar 2012
Welp, guess something did happen with Toshi.

Tyestor said:
Sawamura = Umezawa.

Hahaha, was thinking the exact same thing. Only gripe was that Sawamura's transition wasn't done as well as Umezawa's which felt more believable due to his interest in the sport. Sawamura's change felt more random and somewhat forced : /
Apr 14, 2016 12:06 PM

Feb 2013
I wasn't expecting Sawamura to be the last member, it's nice to see that he finally realized that being a bully isn't a good thing.
Jun 9, 2016 3:53 AM
Mar 2013
At first, I thought it was silly how a lot of the characters acted.
Then I remembered how I acted when I was 9. Suddenly, everything made sense.
Aug 25, 2016 5:14 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah people need to take into account that these kids are nine years old. You could even see how scared Sawamura got when he actually got punched, since his bullying was mostly verbal and not overly physical. I guess the only problem is that all of this happened in one episode. If the next episode dealt only with Sawamura, it wouldn't feel too sudden.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 19, 2017 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
I wasn't able to post after watching the previous episode so I'll comment on both here.

I like the starting group of friends, especially Shimizu. I feel kinda bad for assuming she'll be a love interest later on since that definitely shouldn't be a given, but that's the kind of vibe I'm getting so w/e. Although I didn't think I'd like Komori at first, his hidden skill won me over a bit. Sawamura's mini character arc was handled pretty well too, everything considered.

So yeah, I'm happy with how things are going so far.

Oh, also, I'm really glad Gorou is treating Hoshino as his actual mom. It kinda helps soften the blow from a couple eps back.
Dec 9, 2017 12:33 PM

Nov 2016
Good to see that Sawamura was able to realize his sins,hope he can make up for them in the future.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 25, 2018 7:44 AM

Jul 2016
Really enjoyed this episode a lot as the story was very touching and displayed a good way on how you should stand up to a bully. I really did not look at it as a sudden character change for Sawamura. When you stand up to a bully, some do never change, but others man up and apologize like Sawamura and just move on.

A lot has changed in society now a days when it comes to bullying (A LOT of it for the good), but I've notice now kids and adults being bullied tell their boss, or teacher about it rather than doing anything themselves. Honestly, the best way to handle it for me (and for a lot of people) would be to confront the person. State to the bully "Either you apologize and stop doing this, or I'm going to knock you out, or if I cannot, I'm going to use a bat on your knees." Either they apologize or fight, either way, what usually happens is the bully backs off and shakes your hand after it is over because you thought enough of yourself to draw a line in the sand and say this is not going to happen anymore. Then.. you just move on and gain self-esteem. Now people tattletale and don't learn to stand up for themselves. You just can never back down.. and I just went on my soapbox :).

Anyway, I love this show.
mshea1213Jan 25, 2018 10:04 AM
Jan 31, 2018 2:56 AM

Jul 2010
Didn't expect the bully to be the last member, thought it was gonna be glasses-kun Goro befriended three years ago but he haven't shown up yet after time-skip, I'm sure he will though.
May 23, 2019 3:42 PM

Jun 2016
I do agree Toshi not being mentioned is quite interesting. I wonder if he helped Honda get over his father's death in anyway during the time skip. Either way it seems to me that he was always studying so it's not inconceivable he went to a different school that's harder to get into. If that's the case maybe Toshi will join another team and he will be a friendly rival to Honda. Maybe later in life they can meet up and join together again and they will be a similar relationship to Shigeno and Honda! I'm excited to see if anything like that occurs.

As for this episode I enjoyed it a lot. I think the fact that the pacing got way slower during this arc made everything feel less melodramatic. For the most part everything is childishly and endearingly genuine in my opinion. There is no mega tragedy and hardship being shoved into our face to find a solution moments later over and over. And it was a nice way to have the chemistry grow between the arrogant Honda and the dutiful & selfless Shimizu and a good way to meet the other friends. Shimizu is a warrior for the weak and Honda is all about being a strong individual, he didn't want to help Komori until it was either helping him or leaving behind Shimizu! But notably once he did become friends with him and saw Komori show courage and stand up for him, Honda went out there on his own will to stand up for Komori. It's also quite charming that both Shimizu and Honda were right, Komori needs friends to have the courage to fight back but he must also fight back himself and not let other people look out for him all the time.

I like the complexity here. Honda is almost too selfish at times, if I recall I think Shimizu said it well, it's as if Honda only cares about him playing. He's not looking at this as a team sport, rather he needs a team so HE can play. But he still has good values put into him from his father, like how he should stand up for his friends and presumably his line about making them pay for putting their hands on a girl. There was also the moment where Sawamura almost got rid of his fathers mitt and my heart stopped. He was rightfully mad because Sawamura couldn't understand the importance of it, but I felt he channeled that anger into standing up for Komori. It was a punch of anger and loyalty. At first I quested if it was necessary but I think the point was that it actually put things into perspective for Sawamura.

Sawamura who was quite the spineless and vindictive bully, obviously learned from his dad. He already feared someone standing up for themselves against him and he picked on someone who nearly couldn't do that. So to actually be hit for his actions and be preached in the way he did got through to him. His friends were probably scared of being Honda's enemy and Sawamura really thought about how he hurt Komori. To make it up to them he wants to join the team. It was a fast development but I think it was as cheesily delightful as anything else in Major.

Komori is voiced by the VA of Haruka in Sarazanmai, an anime airing this season. I knew I recognized that voice! Komori is a cute and likable character. He's compassionate but anxious and not quick to act, yet if he feels he ought to for his friends he will. And most of all we saw he is forgiving, for him 2 years of bullying were nothing to hold a grudge over. Plus he's going to symbolically take his dad's place, catching pitches from Honda's son. Heck yeah.
Nov 14, 2019 5:02 PM

Sep 2018
I'm annoyed with that Komori kid!! No one gets bullied if you won't allow it!! Atleast the bullying stop already and he ask forgiveness.

Where's Toshi btw??
Jun 28, 2020 6:59 AM

Dec 2007
i really don't get Goro, he thinks as Shimizu or not? i really can't determine his grown-up personality.
like i thought, Komori get his development area, and Sawamura quitted being bully.
next time - finally some playing time!
Nov 4, 2020 7:14 AM

Apr 2016
Predictable but enjoyable.
It's okay, since it's establishing the basis of the show.
Oct 14, 2021 2:02 PM

Jul 2015
Goro's smack really did wonders. Surprising to see Sawamura be the third one to join (I guess no Toshi) and even more surprising to see Komori being great at baseball.

Nov 25, 2021 9:12 AM

Aug 2017
I'm glad this arc is over since the bully's redemption happened very fast and the whole thing feels overdramatic.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 5 Discussion

Knave - May 14, 2009

33 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 22 Discussion

removed-user - Dec 30, 2009

40 by Cam1922 »»
May 16, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Knave - May 14, 2009

103 by arcticmontys »»
Feb 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Is there Romance in this series.

_winterbear_ - Sep 14, 2022

4 by Unowen »»
Sep 14, 2022 3:49 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 17 Discussion

TowardsTheStars - Apr 20, 2012

21 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 3, 2022 9:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.