Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 2009 3:00 AM

Nov 2007
i use banshee for mp3 and playing music video files.
totem for anime and other video.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 16, 2009 8:33 PM

Sep 2007
Audacious for audio and SMPlayer for video. Before I found Audacious I went with XMMS (and Beep Media Player (Classic) for a short while, of which Audacious is a fork). With video I've almost always used mplayer, and only went with SMPlayer because it's a better frontend for it than the default one that the vanilla mplayer comes with.
May 17, 2009 6:33 AM

Sep 2008
With GNOME and Xfce:
-small audio player: Xfmedia (and Totem)
-Jukebox-style audio player: gmusicbrowser (and Exaile)
-video player: Totem (and VLC)

Didn’t test KDE yet.
Il_Palazzo-samaDec 2, 2009 8:46 PM
Sep 30, 2009 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
video: MPlayer
audio: either newest audacious2 build or foobar2000 through WINE. I'd prefer foobar, but it can't either read the Japanese tags or can't access my jap. folders (with LANG=jp_JP env.); additionally it sometimes lags when using single-files. audacious2 is a bitch with cue-Sheets but supports it somehow :v
Don't know any other player that supports cue-Sheets handy and at least TrueAudio as codec.

It's not games or the usual bunch of software, it's foobar2000 and MPC HC + Haali that let me keep Windows <.<
Sep 30, 2009 7:38 PM

Nov 2007
HoaRy said:
video: MPlayer
audio: either newest audacious2 build or foobar2000 through WINE. I'd prefer foobar, but it can't either read the Japanese tags or can't access my jap. folders (with LANG=jp_JP env.); additionally it sometimes lags when using single-files. audacious2 is a bitch with cue-Sheets but supports it somehow :v
Don't know any other player that supports cue-Sheets handy and at least TrueAudio as codec.

It's not games or the usual bunch of software, it's foobar2000 and MPC HC + Haali that let me keep Windows <.<

try banshee, i'm satisfied with the performance.

yah foobar and MPC (which usually i get from K-lite mega codec pack) is must on my windows system.
actually few days ago i look for media player for windows that can work just like banshee, i mean it can display artwoork nicely, decent skin (simple like foobar) not so flashy, and can read video file which i link it to my music clip folder, but i can't find better one. I've tried new winamp but feel so heavy and i don't need integrated browser, then songbird by mozilla, this one quite good but i don't know why it took long time to load ><
Sep 30, 2009 11:16 PM

Jul 2008
Right now I use Banshee for music playing, becouse it has a playlist generator function, if you install banshee-extension-mirage package. Listening to music choosen by my computer is fun. ^-^ But other than that I don't use any "advanced" music player functions, like last.fm syncing, or downloading info from wikipedia etc. I just want the player to start playing music, than get the hell out of the way.
For movies I use two players. Totem (with all the ugly etc. gstreamer plugins from the official ubuntu repos) for most videos, becouse I like it's interface. (It reminds me of MPC from the times I used Win. d: And I like my video player and it's controls to stay in one window.) But for videos that have SSA/ASS subtitles (most anime I watch), I open them with MPlayer, becouse it can render those properly. Occasionaly if mplayer or totem does not render something properly I install vlc, play the video, then uninstall it.
Oct 1, 2009 6:49 AM

Nov 2007
CruelAngel said:
Right now I use Banshee for music playing, becouse it has a playlist generator function, if you install banshee-extension-mirage package. Listening to music choosen by my computer is fun. ^-^ But other than that I don't use any "advanced" music player functions, like last.fm syncing, or downloading info from wikipedia etc. I just want the player to start playing music, than get the hell out of the way.

thx for let me know about banshee-extension-mirage, wow, really great the selection looks good, how it do that, i think with matching the sound equalizer stuff right?, i remember my friend cell phone has this function.
btw i like last.fm function ><
when playing music in banshee, i like to press "now playing", then fullscreen, tada, big album art show up.

CruelAngel said:
For movies I use two players. Totem (with all the ugly etc. gstreamer plugins from the official ubuntu repos) for most videos, becouse I like it's interface. (It reminds me of MPC from the times I used Win. d: And I like my video player and it's controls to stay in one window.) But for videos that have SSA/ASS subtitles (most anime I watch), I open them with MPlayer, becouse it can render those properly. Occasionaly if mplayer or totem does not render something properly I install vlc, play the video, then uninstall it.

looks troublesome, so far totem works fine for me, i install all the gstreamer package.
Jul 14, 2011 12:26 AM

Mar 2009
SMPlayer and Amarok 1.4... i mean Clementine. Occasionally Exaile.

Jul 25, 2011 1:33 PM

Jul 2010
Right now Rhythmbox for music, just because it came installed and it works.

VLC for videos though. Works great =D
Aug 24, 2011 11:11 AM
Nov 2009
deadbeef and vlc for lastfm scrobbler
Sep 10, 2011 9:25 AM
Jun 2011
umplayer for videos-it has many functions- and amarok for mp3-because of shows the lyrics-
Oct 26, 2011 7:54 AM

Apr 2011
vlc or banshree or movie player .

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » which ubuntu are you?

zefiriss - Apr 4, 2009

16 by bluedragon777 »»
Aug 20, 2014 4:09 AM

» what bittorrent client do you use?

zefiriss - Jun 26, 2009

13 by qyot27 »»
Mar 16, 2014 1:13 PM

» make ubuntu boot in 19 seconds

smokes - Sep 3, 2010

1 by TrOjAnHoRsE »»
Oct 26, 2011 7:52 AM

Sticky: » post your ubuntu desktop screenshot

zefiriss - Apr 4, 2009

37 by CodenameStrike »»
Feb 15, 2011 6:39 AM

» Read Full Circle Magazine

aaronluis26 - Feb 28, 2010

1 by aaronluis26 »»
Mar 27, 2010 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.