Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 22, 2010 11:05 AM
Jan 2009
(this is about the chronological episode 14...)
What is the card game they are playing? well... I heard like 2 years ago it's a game called "dragon all stars" but when I googled dragon all stars I couldn't find anything (Even tho I remember a broken link of "dragon all stars" on gamers (that anime shop)...
May 2, 2010 6:22 PM

Aug 2009
Someday in the rain for me. So is this the real last episode chronologically. Its a really nice one, not much happened t just seems like a typical day.
May 24, 2010 6:34 PM

Mar 2010
Twas' okay, I guess.
On to season 2.
May 28, 2010 8:37 AM

Jul 2007
awesome, kyon x haruhi what everyone wants >/////<
the rain is so kawaii, i love school in these days ^^
the tv shows while nagato is reading is so hilarious XD
Jun 4, 2010 5:10 AM

Jan 2010
wow he actually kissed haruhi O.o

overally,good series :)
8/10

now on to the 2nd season :-s
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 9, 2010 1:43 AM

Mar 2010
Haruhi jealous of Mikuru --> God is jealous too, isn't that cute ^^

Jun 20, 2010 2:29 AM

Jun 2010
The action in this episode justifies the name "melancholy"

I went to DL season 2 +)
Jun 22, 2010 10:38 AM

Feb 2009
I actually enjoyed this semi-ending a lot! Considering the start of the show and the confusion in the beginning I can't say I loved the anime, but the second half is incredible. The mystery is the best part of this story, the characters are original and interesting and the atmosphere of the "last" episode is superb.
Jun 29, 2010 2:21 PM
Jun 2010
I don't get this show, I don't get the plot (is there one at least?). Maybe that's the point... right ?

I'm giving it 5/10 because I liked the animation. I never really felt the character or the story, they all seem random. The only reason I actually watched this show is to watch the top 1 anime movie.

Why is the show called The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ? :/

Jul 28, 2010 7:34 AM

Apr 2009
Boring...tedious...and Haruhi is the most irritant character ever made. :/
The animation was good though and a few comments from Kyon made me jiggle.

4/10

Nov 23, 2010 8:16 AM

Oct 2010
One of my favourite episodes, heh. The whole series was pretty relaxing and light to watch. This is what I'd recommend to watch after seeing School Days, heh.

top 3 anime: Code Geass | One Piece | Death Note
Dec 2, 2010 5:32 PM
Sep 2010
I watched the show in chronological order...though I saw episode 11 before episode 1 and I really enjoyed the show. At first I wasn't sure when I figured out there was going to be a lot of narrating in the series, but Kyon was a pretty funny character and I found it funny that what he thought was not what he always said out loud. All and all, it was an entertaining series.
Uploader53
Feb 6, 2011 4:34 PM

Apr 2010
am i stupid to not understand this show?
it is so irritating confusing show !
but still kyon is good in giving sarcastic commennts on all these alieans!

7/10
i dont think that iam going to watch the second seson or the movie-_-!
Feb 21, 2011 12:51 AM

Dec 2010
Meh. I don't find anything special about this anime. Why? Because its too confusing and seems to have no character development.

The melancholoy of haruhi suzumiya 6 episode was the best out of the entire series for me. The hype for this anime is way too high.

7/10

Mar 1, 2011 6:02 PM
Dec 2008
Chronological order's ending must have been dull compare to this one :P

Great episode, very good ending. I put 9 to this season, hope the next one is as good.
Again, Haruhi is such a nice character.
Apr 11, 2011 10:02 AM

Aug 2010
Well... I finished this series and now I'm gonna watch the 2nd season :D
May 24, 2011 11:04 AM

Jul 2010
I watched the broadcast order so this was the final episode for me... it was pretty mind fcking xD The whole idea I mean... I didn't quite got the point of Kyon kissing her in order to "wake" her up but well I liked the ending :) Can't wait for season2 ^^
Jun 17, 2011 11:37 PM

Aug 2010
So its the end of season 1, well i got rain episode in the DVD order (i was rewatching in the DVD order).
I got to say that the reason i love this series is because it has a little bit of everything in some parts let it be mystery, supernatural, superpowers, school, romance, ecchi at some extent (Haruhi is almost a rapist lolol), action (a little bit), parody of some animes and the most important thing...COMEDY!! so yeah that and some of the randomness ^^

What i most enjoy is just listening to Kyon's thoughts he's just amazin IMO
Jul 14, 2011 7:23 AM

Aug 2010
The series were okay, nothing more. Really nothing special at all.
7 out of 10.
Jul 17, 2011 1:20 AM

Nov 2010
Eh i'll watch second season.
I watched DVD order the last three episodes was a waste of time ;P
It was not written in the stars that we be together.
Aug 8, 2011 8:16 PM

May 2009
That was one of the most incredible endings to a series I've ever seen. Simply amazing 10/10 :)
That kiss ;'D
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 13, 2011 11:34 AM

Nov 2009
This episode was so slow! haha i loved the part though when Mikuru dropped the baton XD
Jan 11, 2012 12:03 PM

Aug 2011
This show was much better than I was expecting, but it still didn't manage to completely win me over.

3/5 for the episode and 6/10 for the show.
Feb 5, 2012 4:08 PM

Nov 2011
I found the script to be weak...he could have said something romantic to the effect of "I don't need time travelers, espers, or aliens to make my life exciting; you already fill my life with excitement." But instead, he has to make some silly comment about how he liked her hair..../disapproval
Apr 29, 2012 7:29 AM
Feb 2011
iv just watch the last 3 episodes and after watching the summer activities i enioyed the episode when it repeated everything i was little confused but still a good episode by the 3rd time of watching wat seemed like the same episode for the 3rd time i was close to blowing my brains out, i feel sorry for yuki because i nearly got suicidal from 3 times she went through it 15,999 times
Apr 29, 2012 7:46 AM
Feb 2011
daleb729 said:
iv just watch the last 3 episodes and after watching the summer activities i enioyed the episode when it repeated everything i was little confused but still a good episode by the 3rd time of watching wat seemed like the same episode for the 3rd time i was close to blowing my brains out, i feel sorry for yuki because i nearly got suicidal from 3 times she went through it 15,999 times

how many time am i havin to watch this stupid same episode before they continue with the story i got the gist of what they were doing after the second time so why did they have to take up 4 episodes with this shit
May 6, 2012 9:28 AM
Feb 2010
Season as whole 9/10.

Ridiculously fun show.

The only episode I was Iffy about was Mysteriqe Sign
May 12, 2012 12:00 AM
Apr 2012
Ehh, after watching everything, im in the "Kyon is god" group.
I mean there is so much evidence behind all the stuff happening if kyon was actually the one with god-like powers, while in haruhi's case, she knows absolutely nothing of this all even though shes 'Supposedly' the one making it all happen.

explanation wasnt that good, but its hard to put my thoughts into words. lol
May 29, 2012 7:18 PM

Jan 2012
Chronological order ending pissed me off, most of it was staring at a blank room with Nagato in it. I loved every other episode of the show. The broadcasting order's last episode was way better.

Split on what to rate it.
Jun 9, 2012 9:49 PM

May 2011
I got the Sleeping Beauty ending ^^

I loved this episode and it really did pull some emotional strings at times. Koizumi's final words of regret and Yuki's inner emotions got the better of me. Haruhi was giving me the creeps when she got all hyper about "Endless"; in a good way though :).

The kiss was well executed and that line by Kyon was perfectly suitable for his style. Haruhi's expressions and tone were adorable ^^. Also, Haruhi in a ponytail at the end? I'm in love all over again.

Overall I loved and enjoyed the series, especially the characters. I'll definitely eventually watch season 2 and the movie.

8/10! (I think that's fair)

Although, if I rate on enjoyment alone, I'd give it a 9 for sure.
Jul 15, 2012 12:21 PM

May 2012
Was a nice episode but the ending was quite boring, hopefully the movie will fix that!
Aug 2, 2012 10:55 PM
Jul 2012
The last episode was boring.
i actully enjoy watching the seires 8/10. The story needs more scence though.
Aug 4, 2012 8:48 PM
Sep 2011
Looks like I'm way late to the party, I just got turned on to this anime a few days ago after seeing a Haruhi Suzumiya t-shirt on Amazon. I liked the shirt, but didn't want to buy it without knowing what the anime was about so... here I am.

I absolutely loved it though. The out-of-order episodes was very original (for me at least, I haven't watched a ton of anime but it was the first time I've ever seen anything like it) and added a good bit of mystery to just what direction the series was headed in. I found all of the characters to be likeable, in an "over the top" kind of way, but considering the over-the-top nature of this entire series I'd say that fits perfectly. I'm definitely checking out the sequel and movie, if I can get my hands on them both. 9/10 from me!
Aug 26, 2012 3:22 AM

Dec 2010
Koizumi: I'll be frank. This is an abnormal situation.
Kyon's pure win face.

Kyon: Do I have to live in this gray world... all alone with Haruhi?
Koizumi: Adam and Eve. If you reproduce enough, it'll work out?
Kyon: I'll smack you. xD

Haruhi: I had a nightmare last night.
Kyon: O-oh *that voice*

These are my favorite lines and moments ever :D:D

I can easily give 10/10 without explaining myself with my usual assessment, but I'm gonna do it for some reason I don't know :D

1. Characters. +1. One of the easiest points I've given in this category ever. Despite Kyon succeeded in becoming my favorite character I still think that he's on pair with Koizumi for me :D Of course Suzumiya is a forever irreplaceable character, she's just one yota less favorite of mine compared to those two guys. Nagato was actually quite a nice character and even Asahina and her green-haired friend never succeeded in boring me.
2. Atmosphere. +1. It's hard to explain my point here but whatever. There was indeed a great atmosphere at least at times - like in my favorite episodes - the one about the rainy day and the episode 13(I watched them in the "confusing" order). Even if there was nothing else, these two episodes just gave enough atmosphere build-up to the show.
3. OST. +1. Great OST, the OP and ED were great too nonetheless and the background music at 2-3 times were just irreplaceable.
4. Animation. +1. Nothing against it, it was actually quite good and I never had a problem with it. I usually give a point for this category to almost any anime, but I actually like this one very much.
5. Background story. +1. The "it started three years ago" story didn't seem very good to me at first, but then when the reason behind of the supernatural trio's appearance was revealed it felt just in place. It's not what you'd call the usual "background story" but it's more than good imo.
6. Storyline. +1. The "confusing" order told me the story in a good way and after the episode finale I feel really well about it. The random events succed in creating a story with at first invisible but then actually a very good bond between them. It's like you can't tell the story if you're asked to, but when you watch it you find it great. Lol, I didn't really say anything here but whatever, I think it was a great story :D
8. Fight scenes. +1. Discussing this category is kind of joke and kind of not :D But with no doubt when there were fight scenes, they were very well done.
9. Drama. Nothing to say here really. This anime is kind of above simple aspects as drama, tragedy or anything else. It has so many sentiments mixed into itself that I can't just say: "Drama here is so good" or "Happyending here is good". So no point in giving point here.
10. Overall affect. +1. It's not easy to explain what do you exactly like about this anime(at least for me) but I didn't spell "irreplaceable" few times accidentally. I can't compare this anime to another one, because it's substance is unique. As I stated above, so many sentiments are mixed here, that at the end you can't point out how powerful is this anime in a certain aspect as let's say Dorama. But one thing is for sure. At the end I feel that Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is one irreplaceable piece of anime and it stands out in it's own category. After few episodes I liked it so much that I enjoyed every single moment of it. Not a part of it feels out of place when you finish it. And most importantly - it leaves unique affect which you can't really explain. That's why my explanation here sounds so confusing and bad :D
Bonus(extra) point for:... +1. Easily, I give point to this anime just because of Koizumi. He's the most irreplaceable member of the SOS Brigade for me(besides Haruhi and Kyon), his jokes were hilarious and I love the way he explains things to Kyon - he never ceased to give more mystery this anime than anyone else. His style is just so good, I wonder why there aren't any characters like him in other animes :D

Overall score: 10/10, both in my assessment and "I score it this way just because I feel like it". Non-forgettable piece in my opinion.
Oct 19, 2012 7:36 AM
May 2010
So, yep, I watched this. And I think it's overrated. The anime is fairly enjoyable, but it doesn't deserve that much hype. Broadcast order is interesting enough to watch, but it's not as confusing as I though it would be, because the story is really simple. It can be described in one phrase: "Haruhi is god, who can destroy the world because of her boredom, so aliens, espers and time-travellers all together are observing her". Some funny moments are in, and the anime is fairly easy to watch, buy I'm somewhat tired of it, so I won't watch 2nd season in nearest future for sure.

7/10.
Oct 29, 2012 11:32 PM

Feb 2012
werrston said:
Ep06 was a much better ending episode than Ep14. They didn't mess up the order just because they felt like it, it really did have a purpose. The last minutes of ep06 are really how a season should end, unlike ep14.

9/10

Im with this guy :)

This broadcast order is in someway more meaningful and subtle in the psychological and emotional things happening in this series. And after all, that kiss, was awesome.
Nov 7, 2012 12:53 AM

Jul 2010
episode 14 aka Kyon gets a heater lol i still liked the show though even though this episode was a bit boring. I think ill give season 2 a try as well...
Dec 17, 2012 11:36 AM

Nov 2012
I should've definitively watched this series in broadcast order.
Don't recommend at all chronological. Trust me .-.
Dec 22, 2012 6:56 PM

May 2009
kikones34 said:

I watched it in chronological order and I like it better that way.
Dec 22, 2012 7:05 PM

Jun 2009
Sickly_Grin said:
kikones34 said:

I watched it in chronological order and I like it better that way.

Broadcast order is kind of useless anyway if you watched the seasons concurrently. As I say all time the out of order with episode 6 (Haruhi and Kyon in the closed space) as the final episode was only there to give the series a climatic conclusion....but if you watch the 2009 version of the series the Disappearance of Haruhi movie does that much better anyway.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 3, 2013 9:13 PM

Jun 2012
Just finished watching it chronologically, I think it would have confused the hell out of me if I watched the broadcast order.

8/10
Feb 2, 2013 3:33 PM

Dec 2012
so the brodcast order and the fact that an obnoxious highschool girl is maybe a god? is why this is popular ._.
anyway i watched in chornological order so does that mean the story ends after ep 4 (14) and the rest of the show is for comedy ?
Feb 2, 2013 8:30 PM

Oct 2012
I watched it now in broadcast order, and I didn't even know that there is a chronological order, I won't watch it again so soon, but I've seen some people saying that's good to watch again to get the full story and some other things.

Anyway, I found it interesting to watch, 8/10
Feb 7, 2013 10:48 PM

Oct 2012
I'm happy to have finished the series after reading the light novel, but through the first half, rather than hearing Kyon's dry, slightly cynical thoughts, I kept hearing Kanzaki's delinquent voice shouting "Yogurty!" in the back of my mind. -_- This voice actor is fun.
~Ah, warm happy finish-series bubbles.^_^
Feb 12, 2013 12:47 AM

Jan 2012
Wait, what episode did I just vote for? Episode 14 the TV airing order, Episode 14 the chronological order, or episode 14 the DVD order??? AHH!! I'm so confused!!???

Anyway, I watched it in the original order that the anime was aired on TV in. Except for it being a little bit disjointed, it made way more sense to me than it would have then the chronological order. Besides, I don't think that this series would have been half as good without using the unusual event order for the anime. I have seen it done before... and better. But they did a good job of building up the tension in the series and ending it on high note, like they are supposed to do. Other than that, I can tell it apart from Clannad and Angel Beats. It was missing something for me to give it a high score. So yeah, it is an average anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2013 9:38 AM

Jan 2011
What was up with that episode, half of it was listening to the radio and I got to see Kyon go get a heater and fall asleep. The series was okay/good as a whole but that episode was just boring. I did watch it in chronological order btw with the 2009 eps.
Mar 12, 2013 7:13 AM

Nov 2012
accidentally watched this in chrono order.. the site where i downloaded it was in that order XD...

i should have done researching first, i think the broadcast order is more entertaining..

maybe next week ill try the broadcast order to see if im right :D
Mar 31, 2013 6:40 PM

Feb 2012
I could never possibly advocate chronological order. The adaptation is clearly meant to be watched in its original broadcast order.
Apr 5, 2013 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
Just finished this series. Watched it together with the 2009 (second season) in the chronological order. I liked that I watched it in this order. I've heard the light novels don't skip around like the broadcast order. If they did then I might have considered watching in that order.

Fun series 8/10. Would definitely recommend to slice of life lovers.

Movie is supposed to be really great so I'm looking forward to it!
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
May 5, 2013 11:54 AM

Jan 2013
Great great great series. It's very different from the others.
I made a mistake by watching the movie first before got into the series, now I valued the movie even higher.
Will check the other series before I start the 2009 one
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Yesterday

32 by GryphonGirl »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.