Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2007 11:44 PM

Mar 2005
~Topic created by Hiro~

Hiro
Suzumiya Haruhi Ep 14 (END) Discussion
« on: July 02, 2006, 12:47:56 PM »

Episode Discussion Rules

Spoilers tags are not necessary. Any information contained in this thread assumes you have watched the series up to this point.

You are allowed to talk about anything related to the anime.

You are not allowed to talk about things from the manga which have not yet occurred in the anime.

----------- end discussion rules --------------

Cover your eyes if you don't want to be suprised:

Hiro
Re: Suzumiya Haruhi Ep 14 (END) Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 12:49:08 PM »

Haha, all I need from an episode. I can't wait till this gets subbed!

kei-clone
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:28:56 AM »

gah!! goddam you! spoiled again!!! -_-

grr...the recent posts button!!! the recent posts button... *cries*

Hiro
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 04:35:53 PM »

*Points to the (and previous episode discussions) first post*

There's still another 22 minutes of Haruhi to suprise you =P

Xinil
Quote from: kei-clone on July 03, 2006, 02:28:56 AM
gah!! goddam you! spoiled again!!! -_-

grr...the recent posts button!!! the recent posts button... *cries*
ROFLMAO. Funny, funny.

I specifically didn't click on this link until I saw the episode subtitled. I now have, and it was freakin' GLORIOUS!

Everything I wanted, happened. Kyon x Haruhi. Damn straight. God that was a good series. I want to cry because it's over.

*cheers for Kyon x Haruhi forever*

Kiss ftw~

Koreth
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 12:56:59 PM »

that pansy ass Kyon should've made a date out of the end tho ! I WAS PISSED ! "now I'm going to go tell her all about espers, aliens, and time travellers." NO YOU STUPID FAG, SHE WANTS YOU, NOT THEM !

and Xinil and I discussed this earlier, Mikuru is most likely NOT Kyon's sibling as was apparently thought by many. She specifically states that "She will be mad if she sees us like this" meaning that they are in a compromising position. Would someone's sister think that way !? And they made it pretty obvious imo that Mikuru wanted to be with him but couldn't (for fear of the WRATH OF GOD, lol).

in conclusion, Mikuru is still hotter than Haruhi, but it was a pretty good series over all. But goddamn, some girls just can't accept not having everything they want, huh ?

kei-clone
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:21:11 AM »

*Points to the (and previous episode discussions) first post*

recent posts button ignores all that, and flashes the pic w/o warning. PICTURES CANNOT BE IGNORED!

ahem...aaaaanyway! so...today is july 8th, and why have I, Haruhistic convert, committed the unforgivable sin of watched this ep 4 days after the sub was released? Cuz I'm on vacation! internet isn't easy to access...

greatest...series...ever....

Quote from: Koreth
Would someone's sister think that way !? And they made it pretty obvious imo that Mikuru wanted to be with him but couldn't (for fear of the WRATH OF GOD, lol).

LMAO. This means nothing! You, my friend, are deprived of Sister Princess, SP Repure, and Da Capo. sister complex, learn.

i'm still holding out on this theory. and the goddess O great Haruhi knows there's definitely more to this story, and I say the chances are HIGHLY likely that there will be a second season. If Kyoto Animation lives true to their godlike status and indeed chooses to produce Haruhi season 2 after the Kanon remake, I will die happy...but more importantly, we would see many answers to previous mysteries that are still unanswered, including that of Mikuru's relationship to Kyon, as well as that weird shot of Kyon's mole at the end of episode 8. There's definitely enough story to continue (the novels are still being published, in any case). my money's on Kyoto Animation pulling what they do with FMP.

now, there's one thing I'm still stuck on...Mikuru's hint?! back in ep 10, Mikuru told Kyon, "Snow White." Has the fairy tale changed to "Sleeping Beauty" suddenly? Production error? Seems unlikely given the history of this series...

ah, but what a great ep anyway. completely agree with Xinil, everything I wanted to happen, happened...almost... Kyon you bastard! Adam and Eve situation was called for, and you dropped the ball!

FurubaFan
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:10:13 AM »

In both cases, the "princess" was awakened from slumber by a kiss...

...which, in a weird sort of way... is what happened here.

Aaron
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 03:52:24 AM »

I give it an easy 7/10 because it had a very slow start, which I didn't find very funny. It really picked up near the end, although I disliked the some of its parodies.

Koreth
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:19:09 AM »

Quote from: Aaron on October 26, 2006, 03:52:24 AM
I give it an easy 7/10 because it had a very slow start, which I didn't find very funny. It really picked up near the end, although I disliked the some of its parodies.

interesting to find a personal opinion where someone didn't like all of the humor. Still a pretty high rating though, for not liking the humor and parodies.
Mar 27, 2007 11:51 PM

Aug 2006
lol, Koreth.

He needs to come back....
Dec 5, 2007 2:16 AM

Nov 2007
Just finished watching.

Ridiculous awesome! Although I think I should've watched it broadcast order rather then chronological order.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6 looking back is far more climatic then the last chronological episode :P

Still! It was great! They better make a second season, like it's been said, too many unanswered questions.

The mole thing urked me though, not gonna lie lol. And what got bleeped out during the computer space battle? "We'll have to use the Gun******" with a fuzzy picture. :P
Dec 5, 2007 9:59 AM

Mar 2005
CanadaAotS said:

The mole thing urked me though, not gonna lie lol. And what got bleeped out during the computer space battle? "We'll have to use the Gun******" with a fuzzy picture. :P

Gundam lol. shoulda been obvious
Dec 6, 2007 2:07 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah, after seeing an episode of Lucky Star where they bleeped "Gu**am" repeatedly, this now looks really obvious xD anyway, I'm going to marathon Melancholy tomorrow in broadcast order, should be much better.
Dec 19, 2007 6:37 AM

Jul 2007
i rated the series with 6... i cant really get why ppl likes this so much.... I loved ep 11 and 14 they were really good but the rest was serously nothing special or even fun.... As characters i liked Kyon and Asahina but my brain cant comprehend how it is possible for ppl to like Yuki Nagato... I dont say this in a bad way its not that i dont like her is just that she NEVER talks.. how can u like a character that doesnt have much screen time and when she has she doesnt even talk???
Dec 19, 2007 8:03 AM

Dec 2007
I also couldn't understand why some people are so fanboyish about Nagato. However, I find her character to be very intriguing, expecially when Kyon comments that she has shown subtle human-like emotions (e.g. when she enjoyed playing that computer game, or that time she pulled the door prank in the mansion).

I've read some of the novel and it seems her character is more developed there, even to surprising levels. Perhaps Season 2 will shed some light :)
May 14, 2008 12:43 AM

May 2008
That was actually a really creepy episode, although the resolution itself was rather anticlimactic. I did like her ponytail at the end, though. :)
May 21, 2008 10:26 AM

May 2008
Im glad to see Im not alone in thinking this series doesnt live up to the hype. It was entertaining but nothing too special.

"Krijg toch allemaal de klere. Val van mijn part allemaal dood."
Jun 14, 2008 12:32 AM

Mar 2008
omg this entire show was so hard to watch with the out of order episodes lol its not great all together but its so lovable and thats what counts ^_^ <3
Jul 26, 2008 12:48 PM
Apr 2008
That. Was. Amazing. Unbelievably cute with the Kyon x Haruhi thing O_O It's cool that they kept the mysterious dream a secret... Haruhi does look good with a ponytail, but she looks better with long hair in the teaser pics of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya...

Jul 26, 2008 10:36 PM

Jun 2008
Was really good. A second season would be really nice...

Really no complaints. I might rewatch it in the correct arc order though.
Aug 7, 2008 5:08 PM

May 2007
fakeninja said:
i think it was kinda dumb how they both woke up after the kiss, i didn't really understand that part, how it ties them to the real world

Haruhi created the phantom world, Kyon told her to bring back the real world and she did.
Episode 14(broadcast order) is my favorite episode of the entire series.

Now, sequel.
My anime list
Aug 9, 2008 7:41 PM

Jun 2008
This was a good series in all, the story line was kind of hard to follow if you watched it from the broadcast order, but I could still comprehend most of it, although some of the occasional stuff that popped up didn't really make sense.

Now I am looking forward to the next series of this show. This episode I think was the best because it really showed how Haruhi felt about Kyon and was emotional, although I didn't break into tears, it wasn't that tear jerking.

Hurry up sequel! Can't wait!
Signature Here.
Aug 29, 2008 10:35 PM

Mar 2008
That. Was. Awesome!

Damn, now I want more episodes. :P Sequel, plox?
Sep 5, 2008 11:22 PM

Apr 2008
Good series.
8/10.
Sep 13, 2008 9:24 AM

Feb 2008
i didn't understand what exactly Haruhi is? is she God?

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 3, 2008 1:21 PM

Aug 2008
midori-chan89 said:

Yes.

Was nice but very confuseing!
Dec 6, 2008 5:51 PM

Dec 2008
midori-chan89 said:

Well, it depends on whom you ask. Nagato and her alien buddies think she's the summit of all evolution, the time travelers believe her to be a focal point to some space-time anomaly, and the espers think her to be God.

I think the creators want the secret of her abilities to remain, well, a secret. It just makes it cooler.
Dec 7, 2008 12:37 AM

May 2008
kei-clone said:
that pansy ass Kyon should've made a date out of the end tho ! I WAS PISSED ! "now I'm going to go tell her all about espers, aliens, and time travellers." NO YOU STUPID FAG, SHE WANTS YOU, NOT THEM !

lol, yeah it would've been nice to see that, but this is the kind of anime that wouldn't do that at the end. good anime all in all, i still dont see why people got so obsessed about it but ok
Jan 7, 2009 3:57 PM
May 2008
Everyone knew that the haruhi x kyon thing would eventuate. the kiss was a little cheesy but it all made me laugh, it was an intriguing concept, the ast half of the series was AMAZING and so i give it a 9 myself.
Jan 17, 2009 11:30 PM
Dec 2008
TheFirst said:
midori-chan89 said:

Well, it depends on whom you ask. Nagato and her alien buddies think she's the summit of all evolution, the time travelers believe her to be a focal point to some space-time anomaly, and the espers think her to be God.

I think the creators want the secret of her abilities to remain, well, a secret. It just makes it cooler.

+1

Eluvium said:
Everyone knew that the haruhi x kyon thing would eventuate. the kiss was a little cheesy but it all made me laugh, it was an intriguing concept, the ast half of the series was AMAZING and so i give it a 9 myself.

I think that's what so great about this anime. Everything was subtle, and the details of the plot weren't exaggerated. That's what made the ending so powerful.

10/10 and I usually don't give out a lot of 10s.
Jan 19, 2009 2:45 AM

Dec 2008
Loved it! But come on, it needed to WAY longer. I wanted an ending that actually had some ENDING TO IT. Like Haruhi and Kyon fall in love, so the world doesn't blow up, much like the kiss from Kyon.
Jan 20, 2009 11:50 PM
Nov 2008
Looks like I'm the first to give this flick a "1" for score, I don't get it. It sucks balls. Why doesn't the story continue? Is it some stupid artsy fartsy thing that I dont get?
Jan 22, 2009 2:24 AM
Dec 2007
evilsage4 said:
Looks like I'm the first to give this flick a "1" for score, I don't get it. It sucks balls. Why doesn't the story continue? Is it some stupid artsy fartsy thing that I dont get?
The story does continue, itts a novel series and there is a second season in the works.
Jan 22, 2009 5:29 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
evilsage4 said:
Because of the story you gave it a 1 disregarding the animation quality, music composition and flow?

It's not the fanboy speaking now, but I don't think this anime deserves a 1 (I don't think any anime deserves a 1 for that matter) solely because the story that doesn't continue (in the anime; a second season is apparently coming soon).

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 22, 2009 9:45 AM
Nov 2008
cyruz said:
evilsage4 said:
Because of the story you gave it a 1 disregarding the animation quality, music composition and flow?

It's not the fanboy speaking now, but I don't think this anime deserves a 1 (I don't think any anime deserves a 1 for that matter) solely because the story that doesn't continue (in the anime; a second season is apparently coming soon).

I actually *paid* for the DVDs to watch this show because I heard it was SOOO good, and what did it get? Half a** work that doesn't deserve credit. I didn't pay for this flick only to guess was the ending was going to be.
Yes, the art was good, But nothing out of the ordinary. Same goes for the sound.
So thats my reason for the "1". I know people think I'm crazy, but this isn't the first "1" I've handed out. And besides, the description of one is "hated it." Thats how I feel.
Jan 23, 2009 6:48 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ordinary. Guess there's no use arguing if think so, looking at how you gave a 10 to Rosario + Vampire. Too bad you didn't enjoy it.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 23, 2009 6:52 AM

Jun 2008
cyruz said:
Ordinary. Guess there's no use arguing if think so, looking at how you gave a 10 to Rosario + Vampire.

You've been here longer than me mate, what took you so long to realize that?
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 23, 2009 7:00 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
turkeymeister said:
You've been here longer than me mate, what took you so long to realize that?
Rofl, sorry. I only paid attention to the post last time. Won't happen again. =D

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 23, 2009 11:20 AM
Nov 2008
cyruz said:
Ordinary. Guess there's no use arguing if think so, looking at how you gave a 10 to Rosario + Vampire. Too bad you didn't enjoy it.

Hehe! Yeah well... I only give 1's, 5's, and 10's to keep it simple. I'm a strange one you could say ;)
I see you gave Rosario + Vampire a 4? wow! You even rated Ikkitousen higher! S why did you bother with the 2nd season then?
To each his own i guess.
kazooparcelJan 23, 2009 11:24 AM
Apr 1, 2009 7:06 PM
Mar 2009
was this the end? because it really pissed me off. i love the series but that's the worst ending i've ever seen.
Apr 5, 2009 6:13 PM

Dec 2008
Best ending I've ever seen. BELIEVE THE HYPE!

No, but this is one of these endings that are made so the whole anime makes sense. Without this being watched in broadcast order, the show really seems random. Each individual chapter may be average, but everything as a whole is great.

9/10
Apr 27, 2009 7:42 AM

Apr 2009
What's up with the Haruhi hype? This anime bored the hell out of me, to be honest. And what was up with the last episode? Half of it was just listening to the radio. =/
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
May 20, 2009 8:09 PM

May 2009
Superb series, hoping for a second season.
May 26, 2009 8:27 PM

Aug 2008
You win Haruhi... you win, this show IS awesome.
Jun 28, 2009 11:32 PM

Jan 2009
Everyone who watched the first season in broadcast order needs to watch it in chronological order and add in the season 2 eps. Trust me, the experience is very rewarding and much more comprehensible. That being said, this is ep 6 for me as I am rewatching the series to include season 2 eps and I must say that it is as great as ever!

Jul 19, 2009 9:53 PM

Jun 2009
Well, the reason why this show "works" for me is Haruhi herself. Plus like some else said, I enjoy the shows subtlety. It isn't my favorite Anime, and it I certainly don't believe it's the best Anime ever. But, it is one of the better ones i've seen simply because KyoAni wasn't and isn't afraid to take chances with it.
Ston3_FreeN7Jul 19, 2009 10:02 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 1, 2009 4:21 PM

Apr 2009
It was very good, but became less humourus as the series went on and more of a romantic. Asahina was the main comedy, and less of it was made latter in the series.

So, it gets an 8.
Sep 27, 2009 11:13 AM

Jun 2009
I watched in Broadcast order, i still don't completely know what i just watched. Is the story really just as simple as Haruhi being able to change the world as she sees fit + the adventures they get into trying to keep the order of the current world // and controlling haruhi of course :P The story doesn't seem very coherent in Broadcast order, jumping around all over the place, but i doubt i'm gonna rewatch it.

I have mixed feelings about this series, badass, random, weird. Either i'm missing something or the stories very simple, i think i grasped all of it even in broadcast order, not that thats a bad thing.. was a good show. Gonna let it digest a while then rate it, probably not gonna get a 10 from me.
Sep 27, 2009 7:41 PM
Nov 2008
Chopper_Tonakai said:

I think that's what so great about this anime. Everything was subtle, and the details of the plot weren't exaggerated. That's what made the ending so powerful.

10/10 and I usually don't give out a lot of 10s.

Yes! Exactly the words I was going to use, it's like you're an Esper :P

This anime is fantastic because of the way it's presented to the viewer, I would go as far as to say the character progression is unrivaled and the story is completely logical. The ending was probably the best ending I've seen in an anime for a long time, it had everything an ending needs, emotion, resolution, and great animation.

I enjoyed the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya so much I feel like watching the second season, but I think the reviews may have scared me off for a while.
Oct 24, 2009 4:36 AM

Apr 2009
fakeninja said:
i think it was kinda dumb how they both woke up after the kiss, i didn't really understand that part, how it ties them to the real world

She was jealous of Mikuru, so she created another space/world because that way she could be there with Kyon. When he kissed her, she probably felt that there's no need for a new world, because, well...something. XD My brain ran out.
...Because maybe she thought that there's a chance for Kyon/Haruhi in the real world as well? Dunno. Stupid explanation.

Nice ending, made me enjoy the whole (not very interesting for me so far) anime a bit more.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Oct 25, 2009 2:48 AM

Aug 2009
Awesome anime!
I like how they mixed up the episodes. looking forward to the next season
even though i hear bad things XD
Oct 30, 2009 3:59 AM

Aug 2009
broadcast order was better imo..
Nov 2, 2009 7:47 PM

Jul 2008
I finally watched this series after putting it off for ages. This final eppy is what sold me. More specifically - Kyon being entirely dense as to why Haruhi could possibly imagine a world with just the two of them..

And Haruhi calling her dream a nightmare and throwing a hissy but coming in to school with a ponytail. I won't lie, I verbally "awwwwed" when I saw the ponytail and he complimented her.

Makes me wanna read the light novels!
Jan 3, 2010 11:00 PM

Nov 2009
That was great! now i see how it got it's legendary status..lets hope the second season is good too~
Feb 7, 2010 7:17 PM

Dec 2009
Wow, great episode. I think I watched airing order all the way through airing order. This episode for me they ended up in closed space together and Kyon saved the world with a kiss. I'm sorry I fell for it xD . From what I hear the sequel is nowhere near as good. Shame. I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy this series on DVD. I could definitely watch again but I'd prefer the same order I just watched it in. This has to be one of those animes you just didn't really want to end.
Such junk...
Mar 10, 2010 2:41 AM

Mar 2008
If i had been able to watch it in a real order, maybe the broadcast order wouldnt have screwed this anime up for me. The episodes are all jumbled the way i was watching them and the story jumped around, the ending happened near episode 10 so i was so fricken lost. All I gotta say is, I enjoy Slice of life and such, but this anime had me hooked...then cut me loose when the story started to get lazy and use cheap animation and jokes.
Mar 22, 2010 5:26 AM

Jan 2010
Ep06 was a much better ending episode than Ep14. They didn't mess up the order just because they felt like it, it really did have a purpose. The last minutes of ep06 are really how a season should end, unlike ep14.

9/10
Apr 11, 2010 10:35 PM
Feb 2010
I enjoyed it, but I think it's overrated. Sorry, I'm not a romantic. I don't think love can save the world.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.