Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 12, 2009 7:37 PM

Mar 2009
Actually, I'd like to learn Mandarin Chinese. For one, it would be practical (given that China is rapidly becoming/has become an economic and political superpower), and for two, Chinese history is pretty interesting--especially when it comes to science and philosophy. Though, the chances of this are pretty much nil as Mandarin is one of the hardest languages and I have enough trouble with Spanish..

I'd also like to learn Russian, but mainly because of my fascination with USSR-era propaganda. Also, it just sounds awesome. The same could be said of German, for that matter.
rTzMay 12, 2009 7:41 PM
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
May 12, 2009 7:39 PM

Mar 2009
llxwarbirdxll said:
JAPANIS ISH SUGOI DESU ^_^

I'm pretty sure you made anyone with a rudimentary understanding of Japanese grammar break down into the fetal position and cry.
- A.C., Equinox I/I
May 12, 2009 7:41 PM

Aug 2007
LeiKaiSing said:
People taking trolls seriously FTL.

Troll? This is regular khorven.
May 12, 2009 7:51 PM

Apr 2009
Rub_my_Fanny said:
rTz said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
JAPANIS ISH SUGOI DESU ^_^

I'm pretty sure you made anyone with a rudimentary understanding of Japanese grammar break down into the fetal position and cry.

As someone told me before.

- Does some-one say some thing that is both stupid and obviously the oppose of what you'd expect that person to say. -> sarcasm
- Does some-one make extremely stupid logic and also points out that the logic is stupid. -> sarcasm.
- Does some one quote another person and seems to agree with that person or even magnifies the point of that person but in a clearly stupid way -> sarcasm.
Damned, fast learner.
May 12, 2009 8:05 PM

Apr 2009
rTz said:
Actually, I'd like to learn Mandarin Chinese. For one, it would be practical (given that China is rapidly becoming/has become an economic and political superpower), and for two, Chinese history is pretty interesting--especially when it comes to science and philosophy. Though, the chances of this are pretty much nil as Mandarin is one of the hardest languages and I have enough trouble with Spanish..

I'd also like to learn Russian, but mainly because of my fascination with USSR-era propaganda. Also, it just sounds awesome. The same could be said of German, for that matter.

Yeah, I wouldn't learn Chinese if I were you. Let me tell you why.

Spoken Chinese: Different intonations of the same sounds changes the meaning. Drastically. This is the hardest thing for people who haven't been around Chinese to pick up. "Ma" means anything from "Mom", to the ending for questions, to "horse" (the characters reflect this many times. For example, "Mom" is the character for "Horse" and the character for "woman") all depending on the tone you use. There are five different tones.

Also, there are ten different dialects. And they can be wildly different than standard mandarin. For example, Taiwanese (or minanhua). I cannot understand a goddamn word of it, even though I am fairly familiar with standard mandarin. Also, Cantonese is also indecipherable for me. I haven't heard any other dialects personally, but just these two are already very very common. In places like HK, a lot of the older population doesn't even speak anything other than Cantonese.

This is all not including different accents. Oh yes, there are different accents to mandarin.

Written: OVER NINE THOUSAND CHARACTERS! Well, ok, you probably will only need about 2000 or so. Still, enjoy learning that. Characters can be as simple as a single horizontal line (the character for "one") or a clusterfuck of characters combined into a new giant one transformers-style.

Well, you could always learn Simplified, but that's pretty homo, and it loses a lot of the significance and symbolism and whatnot. And it won't really get you too far ahead regardless. Simplified is still rather complex. Also, it just looks bad. I mean, it's ugly shit. Makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I can only imagine the rage calligraphers feel when they see it (lots of my family is into that kind of stuff).

Also, separate from simplified is the "shorthand" versions of characters which are often used when hand writing (otherwise every Chinese student would have promptly jumped off the nearest high rise building). The shorthand versions can look wildly different than the actual version though (try reading my mom's handwriting sometimes, lol). Basically, it's a little like learning half of everything over again.

Conclusion: Learning to become fluent in mandarin is a little like being raped in the face. It's hard as hell. Well, at least it's practical and useful for the future right? It is the most common language in the known universe. Well, hate to kill that hope and dream as well too. Since the vast vast majority of the Chinese speakers are *gasp* Chinese people. Who live in China. Also, basically everyone (ok, everyone without exception) that you might be doing business in the future with that's from China will have already learned English. A great deal of the Chinese already have some English education already. Trust me too, their ability to learn English will always be better than your ability to learn Chinese.

~fin
LeiKaiSingMay 12, 2009 8:10 PM
May 12, 2009 8:10 PM

Mar 2009
That's why I said I wasn't going to learn it :p

My efforts would be better spent on Spanish anyway.
- A.C., Equinox I/I
May 12, 2009 8:11 PM

Jun 2008
LeiKaiSing said:
(post)

Quality post is quality.
I'm back.
May 12, 2009 8:12 PM

May 2008
LeiKaiSing said:
rTz said:

Spoken Chinese: Different intonations of the same sounds changes the meaning. Drastically. This is the hardest thing for people who haven't been around Chinese to pick up. "Ma" means anything from "Mom", to the ending for questions, to "horse" (the characters reflect this many times. For example, "Mom" is the character for "Horse" and the character for "woman") all depending on the tone you use. There are five different tones.

Also, there are ten different dialects. And they can be wildly different than standard mandarin. For example, Taiwanese (or minanhua). I cannot understand a goddamn word of it, even though I am fairly familiar with standard mandarin. Also, Cantonese is also indecipherable for me. I haven't heard any other dialects personally, but just these two are already very very common. In places like HK, a lot of the older population doesn't even speak anything other than Cantonese.

This is all not including different accents. Oh yes, there are different accents to mandarin.

Written: OVER NINE THOUSAND CHARACTERS! Well, ok, you probably will only need about 2000 or so. Still, enjoy learning that. Characters can be as simple as a single horizontal line (the character for "one") or a clusterfuck of characters combined into a new giant one transformers-style.

Well, you could always learn Simplified, but that's pretty homo, and it loses a lot of the significance and symbolism and whatnot. And it won't really get you too far ahead regardless. Simplified is still rather complex.

Also, separate from simplified is the "shorthand" versions of characters which are often used when hand writing (otherwise every Chinese student would have promptly jumped of the nearest high rise building). The shorthand versions can look wildly different than the actual version though (try reading my mom's handwriting sometimes, lol). Basically, it's a little like learning half of everything over again.

Conclusion: Learning to become fluent in mandarin is a little like being raped in the face. It's hard as hell. Well, at least it's practical and useful for the future right? It is the most common language in the known universe. Well, hate to kill that hope and dream as well too. Since the vast vast majority of the Chinese speakers are *gasp* Chinese people. Who live in China. Also, basically everyone (ok, everyone without exception) that you might be doing business in the future with that's from China will have already learned English. A great deal of the Chinese already have some English education already. Trust me too, their ability to learn English will always be better than your ability to learn Chinese.

~fin

I really hate this kind of thinking. Just because the typical methodology is shit, still does not make Mandarin hard to learn. If natives can learn it, anyone can learn it just as well; if they do it right. As for the writing, learning 2,000 characters is cake over the course of a few years.
May 12, 2009 8:16 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah. But I'm thinking that you can't go back in time and be a child again, and then start learning from there on out. After a certain age, it becomes a pain in many asses to learn languages. Mandarin is a very phonetically complex language as well (is that even the right phrase for this? W/e, y'all know what I mean). It's damned hard.

Go ahead and give it a shot though dude. If you can pull it off, then I will applaud you with tears in my eyes, saying something like "I always knew you could do it son, I'm so proud of you. You've finally surpassed your old man". If not, I'll heartily lol at your broken pronunciation as you create strings of nonsensical words.
LeiKaiSingMay 12, 2009 8:21 PM
May 12, 2009 8:16 PM

Apr 2009
hikky said:
LeiKaiSing said:
rTz said:

Well, you could always learn Simplified, but that's pretty homo, and it loses a lot of the significance and symbolism and whatnot. And it won't really get you too far ahead regardless. Simplified is still rather complex.

Also, separate from simplified is the "shorthand" versions of characters which are often used when hand writing (otherwise every Chinese student would have promptly jumped of the nearest high rise building). The shorthand versions can look wildly different than the actual version though (try reading my mom's handwriting sometimes, lol). Basically, it's a little like learning half of everything over again.

~fin

I really hate this kind of thinking. Just because the typical methodology is shit, still does not make Mandarin hard to learn. If natives can learn it, anyone can learn it just as well; if they do it right. As for the writing, learning 2,000 characters is cake over the course of a few years.
No, not really, the point is that a native learns a language as an infant. And infants by human standards are ridiculously smart. Contrary to popular believe, infants have a brilliant intellect that cannot be bested by even the smartests of adults, they they have a huge set back as they come into the world without any real knowledge, no way to communicate, and have to figure it out on their own. No one tells them what a chair is, what humans are, or what any thing is really, they figure it out. After some years human intellect greatly reduces as you more or less lobotomise half of your brain to conserve energy.

How many adults could really learn a language fluently without textbooks and without knowing another language before that or even knowing what the hell 'language' is? There are some children raised by the wolves found and they cannot begin to even grasp the concept of human language as they return to human society when found.
May 12, 2009 8:17 PM

Mar 2009
hikky said:

There's quite a bit of different between learning a language from birth and learning it as a second language.. And you can't really fix the methodology, as what he said is true--there are a number of dialects and subtleties (not subtitles, blasted spellcheck) in the language, which have to be learned. Unlike learning Latin-based languages, I doubt there are any shortcuts.
- A.C., Equinox I/I
May 12, 2009 8:32 PM

Dec 2008
Learning Mandarin Chinese ain't gonna help much if you're into culture and stuff. Though you might notice that throughout history Chinese culture and politics has had a great influence on unrelated languages such as Korean and Japanese, and especially the latter. If I remember correctly, the Japanese language is much older than modern Mandarin Chinese. People actually used a dozen other different languages in not-so-modern China before Mandarin Chinese. Cantonese was probably one of them and I happen to be fluent in it HEHE. /gloat

Cantonese and Taiwanese I think... share the same traditional writing system as Japanese so if you already know Japanese, learning one of those two I mentioned shouldn't be too hard.
May 12, 2009 8:49 PM

Apr 2009
- Classical Arabian
- Biblical Hebrew
- Classical Sanskrit
- Classical Latin
- Koine Greek
- Modern English
- Classical Chinese
- Classical Nahuatl
- Early Modern Dutch

Are effectively the languages one must know for world culture.
May 12, 2009 8:52 PM

Jun 2008
khorven said:
- Classical Arabian
- Biblical Hebrew
- Classical Sanskrit
- Classical Latin
- Koine Greek
- Modern English
- Classical Chinese
- Classical Nahuatl
- Early Modern Dutch

What people group spoke Sanskrit?
I'm back.
May 12, 2009 8:57 PM

Apr 2009
Indians.
May 12, 2009 9:05 PM

Apr 2009
Sick_Bastard said:
khorven said:
- Classical Arabian
- Biblical Hebrew
- Classical Sanskrit
- Classical Latin
- Koine Greek
- Modern English
- Classical Chinese
- Classical Nahuatl
- Early Modern Dutch

What people group spoke Sanskrit?
You are ignorant. Sanskrit was spoken by the ancient Indians, some other people there spoke an unrelated language, Tamil, but they never did any interesting things.

The Indian culture of that time was the apex of human culture at that time. The Greeks and the Romans around that time were dwarfed by the science of the Indians. For instance, Roman and Greek pronunciation had to be reconstructed. Not so much for Sanskrit, because their work on their own language writes down exactly how to pronounce it, it carefully classified and grouped each Sanskrit phoneme and phonete and noted precisely how the mouth had to be placed to pronounce it. The Brahmic scripts in which they wrote Sanskrit are pretty much a Sanskrit Phonetic Alphabet. They > Romans and Greeks. And they forced their daughters to marry random people arranged at birth. Like Vulcans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%81%E1%B9%87ini#The_Ashtadhyayi

This guy effectively more or less 2400 back praescribed Sanskrit linguistics with modern computer science praecision, that awesome they were. Effectively it was a work of mathematical logic and linguistics it took the west until 1900 to compete.to.
khorvenMay 12, 2009 9:10 PM
May 12, 2009 9:09 PM

Jan 2009
Vagabond said:
khorven said:
Personally I think it's an ugly language.
You had me at this.
I'd like tossing your salad.-"Yuru"/MMMKD
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM MOTHERFUCKER?-SophieWophie<3
May 12, 2009 9:19 PM

Sep 2007
khorven said:
- Classical Arabic

Fixed. >_<
May 12, 2009 10:00 PM
Jul 2007
Ontario said:
Personally, I'd like to learn Russian.

It'd be cool. Russians are bad ass.

NO. WORST LANGUAGE EVER. NEVER SAY THIS AGAIN.
BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE and I've taken Japanese, Korean, AND French.

Oddly enough it's the only language I still actively use/work on, but it's because I'm a masochist I'm pretty sure. 100%. Language masochism.
(Well that and my parents would probably be so ashamed if i stopped, but I still stand by the masochism thing.)

khorven said:
why are all you fuckers learning Japanese? it's probably a creole language, uncivilized, sounds just stupid and hyperactive.

Why does it matter? At least people are actively pursuing -something-. The motivation might seem silly to someone else, but it's sure as hell better than gamer kids who have zero motivation to do anything with their life/mind/body other than play video games.

I'm a big proponent of mixed Earth mentality, so any reason for folks to immerse themselves in a different culture is good to me.
May 12, 2009 10:34 PM

Sep 2008
I didn't want to take spanish because it sounded ridiculous in 7th grade; and even more so in 9th. Japanese seemed a lot simplier then. Now, I'm not sure wether is easier or harder than english; all I know is that there is a lot less sounds to be confused by.
May 13, 2009 12:49 AM

Dec 2007
Skipping 4 pages.

I actually think it sounds fairly good sometimes, when well spoken. It's like Spanish. Overall sounds retarded, except when well spoken.

I especially like to make analogies between the concepts that exist in my language and not in Japanese and how the lack of those affects the culture or how they influence events.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 13, 2009 1:38 AM

Apr 2008
if they follow it through, then what's the problem.

& i win because i liked japan before i liked anime, hello japanese drama.

May 13, 2009 1:51 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, a wall of text.

Also,
LeiKaiSing said:
People taking trolls seriously FTL.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 13, 2009 3:00 AM

Aug 2008
The language annoys me.
It's jibberish and their grammar makes no sense.

Spanish is my favourite language, i like the way a lot of the words roll off the tongue.
May 13, 2009 3:03 AM

Apr 2009
Bucket said:
The language annoys me.
It's jibberish and their grammar makes no sense.

Spanish is my favourite language, i like the way a lot of the words roll off the tongue.
Obviously you are homosexual and enjoy the paramount sensation of a large anal probe inserted into the rear bowels.
May 13, 2009 3:22 AM

Feb 2005
ITT: Language elitism.
May 13, 2009 3:27 AM

Aug 2008
khorven said:
Obviously you are homosexual and enjoy the paramount sensation of a large anal probe inserted into the rear bowels.

Stop reading my diary.
May 13, 2009 3:33 AM

May 2009
Why would I learn Japanese? Because I have nothing to do!
May 13, 2009 6:15 AM

Sep 2008
Dr_Qwerty said:
Why would I learn Japanese? Because I have nothing to do!
Good reason for doing anything.
May 13, 2009 7:13 AM

Feb 2008
Hm.. I don't know how to explain my "love" for Japanese.. I was interested in Japan culture, history, living, travel spots.. In Japan at all, even before I started watching Anime... I started liking it even more when I heard songs sung on Japanese..

And to say some language is retarded, and ugly.. Well, from your point of view, maybe.. But, if you were Japanese, wouldn't you think that Russian is retarded, and English is ugly? ( I took those as examples 'cause they're spoken most in the World ),... Or any other language?
May 13, 2009 8:49 AM

May 2008
I think Japanese is a beautiful language.
But if I weren't learning that, I'd be spending more time on Finnish and Gaelic.

Khorven has been disappointing me lately, with all the extreme metal bashing, Norse bashing, and now this.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
May 13, 2009 9:12 AM

Jul 2008
Baman said:
ITT: Language elitism.

This.

Out of all the languages I've heard and can't speak, Japanese sounds best to me. Not to mention it looks cool.

Also, what happened to just learning a language for the hell of it?
May 13, 2009 9:27 AM

Apr 2008
I think as a language Japanese is phonetically more beautiful than others (not the same can be said of Mandarin), although in terms of expression, Germanic languages would be much better, german especially.
SoheiMay 13, 2009 9:44 AM
May 13, 2009 9:37 AM

Jun 2008
I am too lazy to actually go out and learn Japanese, not that I would mind of course, but I am an American first and foremost. Good culture and all, but I rarely ever go fanboy for anything.
May 13, 2009 10:08 AM

Apr 2008
in all honesty, id rather learn korean

May 13, 2009 10:58 AM

Jul 2008
Sohei said:
I think as a language Japanese is phonetically more beautiful than others (not the same can be said of Mandarin), although in terms of expression, Germanic languages would be much better, german especially.
Phonetically, it's nice. It's the writing that blows my mind. It all reminds me of doodle marks that young children scratch out with a crayon. I have been wondering about the expression part since I first started watching anime. How does a language that leaves so much room for misinterpretation of what someone has said thrive?
May 13, 2009 10:58 AM

Mar 2009
Vagabond said:
Phonetically, it's nice. It's the writing that blows my mind. It all reminds me doodle marks that young children scratch out with a crayon. I have been wondering about the expression part since I first started watching anime. How does a language that leaves so much room for misinterpretation of what someone has said thrive?

the exact same thing could be said of english

something i like about japanese is that it doesn't require a subject. it's weird at first, but once you get used to it it makes conversation go a lot faster since you don't have to keep throwing your subject in there.
May 13, 2009 11:04 AM

May 2008
I like how Japanese writing gives you a training wheel system and then allows you to level up to the vast sea of Hanzi.

Chinese doesn't have that. Nor does their language split itself up into neat little syllables.
That's something I really like about Japanese.

May 13, 2009 11:38 AM

Aug 2008
Sick_Bastard said:
I've been trying to figure this out for quite a long time. I mean it's a useless language, really. Not that many people speak it compared to other languages such as Spanish or Russian.

O really?
Then I should continue my Russian studies.(6 years til now)
Man, I can't even type English right now, sleepy~ This sentence took me like 10 minutes to write. Wait, yeah, Japanese must be hard + I'm lazy. I'm dropping it from my next year's curriculum.

EDIT: Japanese accent is easy for me since Estonian has the same kind of pronunciation. I remember dying over English when I was 8 yo.
CyabvearMay 13, 2009 11:42 AM
May 13, 2009 12:12 PM

Sep 2007
Japanese is a beautiful language, both phonetically and in written form.

So what if people's interest in it stems from their love of anime? If it got them to learn something they wouldn't have done otherwise, then at least the medium has its usefulness.

khorven said:
Let's learn German to watch German cartoons, seriously.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are those who do. :3
May 13, 2009 12:19 PM

Apr 2009
Japanese ranks right up there with Latin, English, and French, as far as beauty goes. And to me it sounds like the most perfect language ever made for singing because every word starts with a consonant and ends with a vowel, ok maybe not every word, but a high enough percentage that I wish I'd had the chance to sing with it when I was in high school choir.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
May 13, 2009 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
Well, I speak Slovak, so I have 75% percent of Slavic languages covered. Maybe I wouldn't be able to have a deep, philosophical conversation with someone who's Polish or Russian, but at the very least I wouldn't get stranded in their country because I couldn't speak the language.

Also, I speak English which covers a good chunk of the world.

The languages that would benefit me the most right now would be French and Spanish. I live in Canada, plus, in my town there is a metric crapload of folks from South and Central America. (Columbia, Cuba, Chile, Equador, Guatemala etc.) (There's also a lot of Polish folks, but I have that covered. And Korean people too, I wouldn't mind speaking Korean either.)

Buuuut I fucking hate French. The pronunciations are retarded even so someone who's used to rolling R's. Uuugh. And then you have a distinct difference between Quebecois (Quebec French and Parisien (French French.) Plus folks in the country have developed the art of blending one word into another when speaking, hence it'd be fucking impossible to communicate with them anyways. No French for me.

And no Spanish either. It doesn't seem interesting. :P Sorry, Spanish-speakers.

I wouldn't mind knowing Japanese. Except I suggested the possibility of taking it in uni, my parents freaked out because "UNIVERSITY IS SRS BUSINSS AND HOW DARE I TAKE SOMETHING FUN AS MY ELECTIVE/MINOR? I MUST TAKE ONLY THINGS THAT WILL BE 300% USEFUL IN DAILY LIFE." ¬_¬

They're right though, hehe. ^^;

I am the senpai that notices you.

May 13, 2009 1:55 PM

Apr 2009
ukonkivi said:
Chinese doesn't have that. Nor does their language split itself up into neat little syllables.
Ehhh... what?
May 13, 2009 2:04 PM

Feb 2008
Nika-senpai said:

Buuuut I fucking hate French. The pronunciations are retarded even so someone who's used to rolling R's. Uuugh. And then you have a distinct difference between Quebecois (Quebec French and Parisien (French French.) Plus folks in the country have developed the art of blending one word into another when speaking, hence it'd be fucking impossible to communicate with them anyways. No French for me.

I can agree on this one.. I won't say that it's retarded, cause it's not... Many scientists, writers and other important persons wrote with it.. But as for me.. I totally hate it..
I hate their pronunciation.. The way they're saying R are so annoying! It drives me crazy...

But not liking some language don't give me right to say the language is stupid... There is no stupid language, or retarded, in this world...
May 13, 2009 2:50 PM

Dec 2007
I like French. For many years I talked French with my classmates in a daily basis, because we were so cool. I don't understand how people underestimate such a beautiful language. Probably never read any original poetry.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 13, 2009 3:32 PM

Apr 2009
ukonkivi said:
I like how Japanese writing gives you a training wheel system and then allows you to level up to the vast sea of Hanzi.

That's something I really like about Japanese.

You're wrong on both accounts. The Zhuyin Fuhao exists, which is a phonetic alphabet of sorts that can describe all the sounds in Chinese and also write words. But only beginners and children really use this. Although it is also found on keyboards and such (ever wondered how people type in Chinese?). In fact, my keyboard is currently covered with the stuff.

Also, Chinese is nothing except neat little syllables. Each character is one syllable or a one syllable word. I think you're really smokin the crack on this one. srsly.
May 13, 2009 4:00 PM

May 2008
LeiKaiSing said:
Yeah. But I'm thinking that you can't go back in time and be a child again, and then start learning from there on out. After a certain age, it becomes a pain in many asses to learn languages. Mandarin is a very phonetically complex language as well (is that even the right phrase for this? W/e, y'all know what I mean). It's damned hard.

Go ahead and give it a shot though dude. If you can pull it off, then I will applaud you with tears in my eyes, saying something like "I always knew you could do it son, I'm so proud of you. You've finally surpassed your old man". If not, I'll heartily lol at your broken pronunciation as you create strings of nonsensical words.

I do plan to once I'm done with Japanese. It's not so much of a pain in the ass as peoples' methods are terrible. Thing is, few people ever try to experiment with methods in language learning. They take some crappy class that teaches them the wrong things in the wrong way. Learning a language is just building a huge library of examples. Because I have all those specific examples, I know that, say, "a cute little girl" sounds fine but "a little cute girl" sounds off; etc. People take the wrong approach and that's why they don't learn.

Now, an accent can be hard to avoid since pronunciation is something you adapted to in your native language, and you have far more examples of your native language in your library than you do in the second language you're learning. Doesn't mean you can't lose an accent though.

rTz said:

There's quite a bit of different between learning a language from birth and learning it as a second language.. And you can't really fix the methodology, as what he said is true--there are a number of dialects and subtleties (not subtitles, blasted spellcheck) in the language, which have to be learned. Unlike learning Latin-based languages, I doubt there are any shortcuts.

You don't need to inform me, I'm doing it. I've only been learning Japanese for a couple years, and with no study (Just immersion-style learning), and I assure you, my Japanese is far better than a native 2 year old's.
May 13, 2009 4:30 PM

May 2008
LeiKaiSing said:
Also, Chinese is nothing except neat little syllables.

I guess I may have missed that due to Chinese's extreme tonality.

Which would mean I like how Japanese is less tonal.

This Zhuyin Fuhao, I must be honest I hadn't heard of. But I'm glad this more simplified Kana in Japanese culture is more mainstream.

Anyway, I have several Japanese and Chinese movies. If that's any way to judge a way a language normally sounds to any percentage at all. And in Japanese I can always hear clear cut "ka" "wa" "ha" "na" type sounds. Whereas in Chinese is sounds like the words slur together and I can't seem to pick out a single word if I try. Japanese feels like it comes at me in neat little blocks. While Chinese seems like it comes at me in a wave of changing tones. And I like the block feeling better.

May 13, 2009 4:37 PM

Apr 2009
LeiKaiSing said:
Also, Chinese is nothing except neat little syllables. Each character is one syllable or a one syllable word. I think you're really smokin the crack on this one. srsly.
Yeah, Chinese is a perfect isolational language, each morpheme is one syllable. I thought the comment was weird.

ukonkivi said:
Which would mean I like how Japanese is less tonal.
Japanese is not tonal. A languages is said to be tonal if the tone of the nucleus is phonemic. As I explained in the other topic, in English and Japanese, the tone is simply phonetic.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.