Forum Settings
Forums
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
May 8, 2009 3:36 PM

I don't know about you, but when other people know my goals, I feel more compelled to actually achieve them. And, I thought you might be like me, so...

For now, my short-term goal is to re-establish my habit of reading that was so suddenly interrupted by midterm exams. As well as beat my SRS reviews down to absolute 0 (that's 0 Kelvin for anyone that cares).

As for an intermediate goal, I haven't really decided on, but I suppose now's as good a time as any. So, I would like to sentence-mine every song currently on my iPod shuffle. That's 51 songs minus 8 Cantonese songs. Making that 43 songs. I'm going to carefully go through each song line-by-line and word-by-word and get as much as I can from them in hopes to understand more of what I listen to all the time. :)

A continuous goal that I would like to acheive is to begin carrying a Japanese book/manga/website print-off/etc. with me wherever I go. The idea behing a continous goal is that of building a habit. I feel that if I atleast carry the book with me, I'll be more likely to read it. And, it's just for leisure reading to fill the gaps of everyday life.

And, a long-term goal of mine is to get to 2,500 sentences over the next three months. More if possible. But certainly no less.

Let's hear some of your goals. :)
Modified by Zealous, May 11, 2009 8:18 AM

May 11, 2009 9:43 PM

Hah! perfect timing and place to discuss this.

Short term goal. Very short ones. TV and gaming is sucking up my time and energy again = =. So getting that momentum going again is priority for me.

Medium: for the summer, read a ton and watch a ton.

Long term: fluency b4 university?

It's almost 1am here, and I have a final exam in 7 hours. >.> I just hate it when I procrastinate X.X

May 11, 2009 11:11 PM

firebound12 said:

Short term goal. Very short ones. TV and gaming is sucking up my time and energy again = =. So getting that momentum going again is priority for me.

Medium: for the summer, read a ton and watch a ton.

Long term: fluency b4 university?

It's almost 1am here, and I have a final exam in 7 hours. >.> I just hate it when I procrastinate X.X

Better get busy instead of browsing the forums. ;)

Fluency before University? Is that, before you graduate from, or before you go into?

My short-term goal was met! I did over 900 reviews this weekend to get down to a small amount, and now I feel better about adding sentences. >:)

The next short-term goal for me, I'd say, is that I want to commit myself for a week and see what it's like. What I mean by that is that, make good decisions that prioritize my Japanese over other things. I think today was a good example of that. It's nearly 2AM, and I'm still reading and adding sentences. On top of that, I did all my reps this morning, and attempted to read more of 夢十夜, but gave up on that because the sentences are still a bit too involved, and without pictures I'm a bit lost. :\

And, my intermediate goal kind of took a back seat to other things because I'm enjoying just jumping from one thing to another. Like, one day I'll just do lyrics, the next it'll be a story, and the next maybe more manga.

I should mention that I'm getting more and more comfortable with the monodic. A strategy I have yet to try is looking up the words that I understand immediately from reading. For example, usually I'll be reading and picking out whole sentences from whatever it is I'm reading, and I just add that if I understand it. And, then, it's usually words that I have a vague idea about that I look up. But I haven't looked up the words that just pop up and are obvious. Which, I think might just lead to more words learned. Like, I looked up 高級, and I kind of knew this already base on the context (conversation about restaurants), but I wanted to make sure, and so as a result I learned 低級 and 思想.

May 12, 2009 2:52 AM

Sharing goals huh? That really helped me that last stretch through RTK.

As for now, I'm just taking it abit relaxed, watching some anime (Gintama =D.. without subs obviously), reading some manga (recently started the Gintama manga. ^_^ Having seen the anime both with and without up to about episode 100, I should be able to figure out most of what is said for a while..) etc..
My goal though, is to find a way that I like to get my sentences. So far, I've been trying a few different approaches, and I think I'm getting close to a way that fits me.
I'm also thinking of learning the new kanjis that are being added to the jouyou in 2010 (some are in RTK1, so I don't have to worry about them, some are in RTK3, so it's not that much of a problem (including very common ones like 俺, 誰 etc), and about 20 are outside RTK (鬱, as in 「涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱」, being one of them), but with the RTK method, these are not much of a problem either.. Seeing as the people over at the RevTK forum loves spreadsheets, someone has already made one with all the changes to the jouyou kanjis). It's probably not that nessecary, but I like learning new kanjis. =D

A really really short term goal is to reach that 100 mark in my sentence deck today (having 93 at the moment.. ^_^). Aiming for 250 sentences before the summer holiday starts wouldn't be too unrealistic either.

Other than that, I'm hoping to get a lot of sentences during the summer holiday. I'll spend most of my time doing stuff in Japanese , and so I guess, although a bit unrealistic, I'll try to aim for having something like 1500 sentences in my deck by the end of the summer.
If everything goes the way I want, I'll get a summer job with a pretty decent pay (though it might be a lot of work), meaning I can finally start buying Japanese manga as well (I'm currently leeching off the internet.. Kinda sucks, really..). I'll probably also get a light novel or 2 (Haruhi seems a good candidate ^_^).

Thinking of really long term goals, I guess the main goal would be fluency before I get my bachelor degree (3 years from now). Seeing as it's pretty far away, I might aim for it earlier, so that I have more time during the third year to focus on my studies.

My Anime List | My Manga List | Blog (rarely updated)
^_^

May 12, 2009 6:54 AM

sleepyday said:

Fluency before University? Is that, before you graduate from, or before you go into?

before going into, so that means I still have 1 more summer XD... Thinking about that, I might have to stretch my time limit... depends on how much I learn this summer.

May 12, 2009 9:10 AM

firebound12 said:
sleepyday said:

before going into, so that means I still have 1 more summer XD... Thinking about that, I might have to stretch my time limit... depends on how much I learn this summer.

I thought you were already in college? But, then, in America Colleges are just things within a University, like the College of Arts and Sciences at X University.

May 12, 2009 3:36 PM

sleepyday said:
firebound12 said:
sleepyday said:

I thought you were already in college? But, then, in America Colleges are just things within a University, like the College of Arts and Sciences at X University.

lol, technically, Im in CEGEP, which is 2 years after high school and before university. Though we have 5 year of high school instead of 6 in U.S. I know, it's a lil bit confusing XD

May 12, 2009 5:54 PM

firebound12 said:
sleepyday said:
firebound12 said:
sleepyday said:

lol, technically, Im in CEGEP, which is 2 years after high school and before university. Though we have 5 year of high school instead of 6 in U.S. I know, it's a lil bit confusing XD

Erm, what? Six years of highschool? I don't think so. There's only four in the U.S. And, from the sounds of it, you're either in what we'd call a cram school (pre-college) or just earning your general education credits before going into your major.

May 12, 2009 6:16 PM

Short term: Review and Study as much as I can this summer, and take dual-enrollment Japanese at nearby college

Intermediate: Take a Japanese Abroad Class in College

Long-term: Minor in Japanese and become fluent. Hopefully visit Japan many times in my lifetime ( maybe move there, depends on where life takes me ).

May 12, 2009 8:30 PM

Sleepyhead said:
Sharing goals huh? That really helped me that last stretch through RTK.

As for now, I'm just taking it abit relaxed, watching some anime (Gintama =D.. without subs obviously), reading some manga (recently started the Gintama manga. ^_^ Having seen the anime both with and without up to about episode 100, I should be able to figure out most of what is said for a while..) etc..
My goal though, is to find a way that I like to get my sentences. So far, I've been trying a few different approaches, and I think I'm getting close to a way that fits me.
I'm also thinking of learning the new kanjis that are being added to the jouyou in 2010 (some are in RTK1, so I don't have to worry about them, some are in RTK3, so it's not that much of a problem (including very common ones like 俺, 誰 etc), and about 20 are outside RTK (鬱, as in 「涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱」, being one of them), but with the RTK method, these are not much of a problem either.. Seeing as the people over at the RevTK forum loves spreadsheets, someone has already made one with all the changes to the jouyou kanjis). It's probably not that nessecary, but I like learning new kanjis. =D

A really really short term goal is to reach that 100 mark in my sentence deck today (having 93 at the moment.. ^_^). Aiming for 250 sentences before the summer holiday starts wouldn't be too unrealistic either.

Other than that, I'm hoping to get a lot of sentences during the summer holiday. I'll spend most of my time doing stuff in Japanese , and so I guess, although a bit unrealistic, I'll try to aim for having something like 1500 sentences in my deck by the end of the summer.
If everything goes the way I want, I'll get a summer job with a pretty decent pay (though it might be a lot of work), meaning I can finally start buying Japanese manga as well (I'm currently leeching off the internet.. Kinda sucks, really..). I'll probably also get a light novel or 2 (Haruhi seems a good candidate ^_^).

Thinking of really long term goals, I guess the main goal would be fluency before I get my bachelor degree (3 years from now). Seeing as it's pretty far away, I might aim for it earlier, so that I have more time during the third year to focus on my studies.

Things like that the changes to the joyo kanji don't bother me so much because, the way I look at it, I'll learn them all eventually. I've planned on learning 広東語 after 日本語 anyways. ;)

May 12, 2009 9:05 PM

firebound12 said:

Still on short term goal. 2 days left. I really need to get the momentum right XD especially that tomorrow I dont have class. Curse you games! XD

May 13, 2009 8:13 AM

firebound12 said:
firebound12 said:

Still on short term goal. 2 days left. I really need to get the momentum right XD especially that tomorrow I dont have class. Curse you games! XD

Try to mix up your content. Manga is the bomb, but, like everything else, it gets boring after a while. I know it's difficult to read things without furigana, but that's precisely why you'd want to do it. And, I'd recommend stuff from movies or something, too. It seems like common sense to just change up your content from day to day, but it's something I never really considered until I read it on Antimoon. They're absolutely right about how, even when you buy something new, it only keeps that excitement for about a week before you want something new again.

I actually plan on buying some Disney movie. From what I hear, the dialog is simple, they're fun, easy, etc. Songs are also good to go through if you like music. I never considered it because I wasn't sure if I'd understand any of it because.. well I don't understand much of the music I listen to, so what would make a difference when I read the lyrics? Well, I was wrong here. It does make a difference.

And, I think that by doing this, you'll find that it can even pull you away from those games you're so addicted to. ;)

May 23, 2009 1:26 PM

Hmm, think I just set myself a new somewhat longterm goal:
Having played through the 4 Umineko, and perhaps the first Kai game (technically, it's a sound novel though) in Japanese before December. Having played 1-3 (and the 4th partways) with an English translation, I have something to compare to. Why December? Well for one, I don't really want to look up every other word, and since it's a game, there probably won't be much 振り仮名 either, so having a base of vocabulary before I start will probably be for the better. The second Kai game is most likely also going to be released on the 冬コミ (if they follow the release scedule that Higurashi had)
There's also the upcoming anime adaption of the first 4 games starting in July, which of course will be watched raw.
I'm also expecting the first Kai game in the Umineko series this summer too, but I guess that will have to wait untill after I finish the first 4.
At some point, I'll probably sit down and play through the Higurashi games too, but for the time being, it's all about Umineko. I've been pretty obsessed wtih Umineko lately, which gave me this idea. ^_^

As for the jouyou changing, I'm not that worried either. Having gone through Heisig has removed the "kanji is scary and difficult" barrier for me, and nowadays I actually enjoy learning new characters (I keep un-suspending RTK3 kanjis every other day, after seeing them in use in some manga or w/e.. Using Anki, I usually add the word I learned them with alongside the keyword too). I haven't really made any decision for what to do after I "finish" Japanese, as far as languages are concerned though. Seems a lot of people move on to Chinese after Japanese, but I don't know, the language doesn't really interest me as much as Japanese does.

Lol, we should make a "AJATT progress" thread or something, to keep all the updates and "Aha!" experiences in one place. Good/bad idea?

^_^

May 23, 2009 3:32 PM

Sleepyhead said:
Hmm, think I just set myself a new somewhat longterm goal:
Having played through the 4 Umineko, and perhaps the first Kai game (technically, it's a sound novel though) in Japanese before December. Having played 1-3 (and the 4th partways) with an English translation, I have something to compare to. Why December? Well for one, I don't really want to look up every other word, and since it's a game, there probably won't be much 振り仮名 either, so having a base of vocabulary before I start will probably be for the better. The second Kai game is most likely also going to be released on the 冬コミ (if they follow the release scedule that Higurashi had)
There's also the upcoming anime adaption of the first 4 games starting in July, which of course will be watched raw.
I'm also expecting the first Kai game in the Umineko series this summer too, but I guess that will have to wait untill after I finish the first 4.
At some point, I'll probably sit down and play through the Higurashi games too, but for the time being, it's all about Umineko. I've been pretty obsessed wtih Umineko lately, which gave me this idea. ^_^

As for the jouyou changing, I'm not that worried either. Having gone through Heisig has removed the "kanji is scary and difficult" barrier for me, and nowadays I actually enjoy learning new characters (I keep un-suspending RTK3 kanjis every other day, after seeing them in use in some manga or w/e.. Using Anki, I usually add the word I learned them with alongside the keyword too). I haven't really made any decision for what to do after I "finish" Japanese, as far as languages are concerned though. Seems a lot of people move on to Chinese after Japanese, but I don't know, the language doesn't really interest me as much as Japanese does.

Lol, we should make a "AJATT progress" thread or something, to keep all the updates and "Aha!" experiences in one place. Good/bad idea?

Come to think of it, I never have utilized video games as a learning source. But, I'd think that playing old Pokemon games in Japanese would do wonders for me. x)

After finishing Japanese, you don't really have to do.. anything. I mean, I set out to learn Japanese, and as a result I discovered the Cantonese language, which, as it turns out, is the language used in Kung-fu movies. ^^

If you want to move on to mandarin or some other dialect of Chinese, that's cool, if not, then don't. You could just keep building a super vocabulary in Japanese, which is something I'd like to do, as well as learn at least a few of the regional dialects. Learning Chinese would probably give you a lot of insight on where a lot of words in Japanese come from, if that interests you at all.

And, as for you "Aha!" thread, go ahead and make it. I think it's a good idea. ^^

May 23, 2009 5:50 PM

Video games, along with a lot of other things (including Harry Potter, which seems to be popular in Japanese over at the RevTK forum lately xD) were part of what made me learn English to the level that I'm at today. I still notice that I make some mistakes at times, and sometimes I guess I could formulate things abit differently though.

As for what to do once I'm at a decent level, I think I'll at least try and learn some dialects of Japanese. The one that I'm most interested in is the 関西弁. ^_^
Are there any major differences between the different cities in the 関西 area? Think I read something about minor differences somewhere (can't seem to find it at the moment though).
There's probably lots of other dialects out there too, but 関西弁 is the one that I've heard most of (exept for the "standard" dialect"). Probably because a lot of anime has a character that speaks 関西弁, most likely for the lulz.

I'll probably make the "Aha!" thread later on, when I get some sort of "Aha!" experience worthy of sharing (If anyone gets an "Aha!" experience before me, go ahead and make the thread xD). :P

^_^

May 23, 2009 6:07 PM

Well, there's definitely quite a few differences among the different areas in the Kansai region. For instance, Kyoto has a whole other politeness register that sits between casual and standard polite. Osaka's dialect sounds bouncy and friendly (speaking casually, and I'm just making rough generalizations). Just google 関西弁 if you want to learn more about it. Wikipedia has plenty of good information about the differences as well.

May 26, 2009 2:36 PM

Goals, huh?

Within 1 year:

* I'm at Chapter 38 in My Japanese Coach (DS). I hope to be at least past Chapter 60.
* Be half-way through my textbook. ISBN: 0-8048-3504-7
* Learn 100 Kanji

Finally, I've always wanted to take JLPT (but never got around to it): http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=83640
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

May 26, 2009 3:52 PM

I bet you could learn a lot more than that in a year. It still hasn't been a year since I started Heisig (something like eight months). So, just stick to it, and you can make some crazy progress in a year. :)

May 26, 2009 4:30 PM

I intend to reach native or near-native fluency in the long term, I'm in no hurry though. I am happy enough with my progress that it shouldn't take more than a few more years to at least get close to there. It has to stay interesting for me, so I'll just stick to doing things in Japanese that interest me currently as I have been for quite a while now.

It's hard to set specific short-term goals because I can never notice short-term progress. I will over a few months or so though. I just like the idea of becoming noticeably better and more thoroughly knowledgeable every 6 months or so, and I've managed that up until now, so things seem pretty good. Maybe in a year or so I'll take JLPT 1 just to say I did it; won't study for it specifically though.

May 26, 2009 5:36 PM

You'll probably make those people giving the test pee their pants in astonishment. :)

May 26, 2009 10:42 PM

sleepyday said:
I bet you could learn a lot more than that in a year. It still hasn't been a year since I started Heisig (something like eight months). So, just stick to it, and you can make some crazy progress in a year. :)

Well, I got other things to do too. :p
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

May 27, 2009 7:58 AM

KyuuA4 said:
sleepyday said:

Well, I got other things to do too. :p

I think we all do. I have a part-time job, I'm a full-time college student, and it's been that way for the whole time. I think we all have the time for these things and some just don't prioritize it enough (not saying that's you, just in general). And, I think that people severely under estimate what they can do in a year's time, especially if they are consistent with what they do.

May 27, 2009 2:41 PM

sleepyday said:
And, I think that people severely under estimate what they can do in a year's time, especially if they are consistent with what they do.

I already know that when I train for the marathon. :D Put me on a calendar, and I can chug it along relatively fine. Though I expect it to get harder as the mileages increase in the weeks ahead.

I'm already 7 years away from college. Just in the past year, I put myself through a year in a community college (which felt great). I finished what I needed for a certificate. Hmm, I may check out the Japanese language program here; but if the textbook is "Japanese for Busy People" -- that may be a turn off.

On top of that, I recently became Christian after being ... virtually atheist for the past 12 years. Independently, I study that as well. Yet, I have a lifetime to study this material.

Finally, I should be thankful to work at a desk job right now. Although, it's something I'd like to get out of - someday. So, I explore the possiblity of the JET program, which to my delight allows me to try. Yet, the prospect makes me simultaneously nervous and excited.

Point of the matter -- I set my goal to balance along with every other goal that I do have.

===

For the sake of Japanese language study, well, I will have to design my own calendar and schedule. Although, it'll have to be flexible.

Jun 2, 2009 2:02 PM
well my long term goal is to fully be able to write and talk in japanese and be able to understand what other people say in japanese

but its hard.. its hard to find a good website. know what i mean ?

well i can do! Belive it!! (im sorry i went naruto on that last remark)

Jun 2, 2009 5:51 PM

animegirl33 said:
well my long term goal is to fully be able to write and talk in japanese and be able to understand what other people say in japanese

but its hard.. its hard to find a good website. know what i mean ?

well i can do! Belive it!! (im sorry i went naruto on that last remark)

Should check out http://alljapaneseallthetime.com

Jun 4, 2009 12:42 PM

Right now my short term goal is to get the basic grammar down (so I can focus on vocabulary later.) I also plan on memorizing at least 200 kanji instead of cramming it. I really don't want to spend much money... is there a good website for kanji?

After doing that, I want to experience a "click" or two (when I won't need to translate everything I read/listen to in English.) That should help me read and listen better than I normally could.

As for my long-term goal, I want to reach near fluency before hitting the road for college. It would help if I could skip basic Japanese classes and enter intermediate to advanced classes in my freshman year.

Jun 4, 2009 2:27 PM

Ketchup22 said:
Right now my short term goal is to get the basic grammar down (so I can focus on vocabulary later.) I also plan on memorizing at least 200 kanji instead of cramming it. I really don't want to spend much money... is there a good website for kanji?

After doing that, I want to experience a "click" or two (when I won't need to translate everything I read/listen to in English.) That should help me read and listen better than I normally could.

As for my long-term goal, I want to reach near fluency before hitting the road for college. It would help if I could skip basic Japanese classes and enter intermediate to advanced classes in my freshman year.

Again, I'm going to have to refer to http://alljapaneseallthetime.com

Why settle for 200 kanji when you can memorize 2,000+ in a matter of months and then continue on to learn vocabulary/grammar the fun way (through native sources).

Jan 24, 2010 8:13 PM

I feel like posting.

Short: Keep up with consuming japanese media while at school.

Medium: higher sentence count plz (2.5k)

Long: Keep reps at minimum.

Jul 28, 2011 1:56 PM

midori- that article is huuuge. haha

Currently I'm working toward 95%+ comprehension of Japanese dramas. We'll see where things go from there. That, and I'm basically remaking a kanji deck with Japanese keywords and definitions. Currently I'm just wanting to get all of the 常用漢字 in there so I'm writing each character from memory again. Not much else other than that now. :)

Aug 5, 2011 7:27 AM

Zealous said:
midori- that article is huuuge. haha

Currently I'm working toward 95%+ comprehension of Japanese dramas. We'll see where things go from there. That, and I'm basically remaking a kanji deck with Japanese keywords and definitions. Currently I'm just wanting to get all of the 常用漢字 in there so I'm writing each character from memory again. Not much else other than that now. :)

but like the easiest way for that is to have the subs (japanese). obviously it's not becasue yodont' understand what they're saying but more like you can't catch it all (at least that's how it is for me)

here's some links I compiled for jsubs. you could search around for more like in the koohii forums

http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=91680
y
I didn't include the link to that russian site.

also korean subs if you can't find japanes subs or english subs for that matter.
http://choronghi.wordpress.com/2010/11/13/cant-find-japanese-subtitles-for-studying-japanese-try-korean-subs/
Modified by midori-, Aug 5, 2011 3:07 PM

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Oct 11, 2011 2:37 PM

Short term: Speak more Japanese
Medium: Be able to read manga without furigana
Long term: Able to read novels (or fluency or both lol)

Jan 10, 2012 8:39 AM

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Feb 7, 2012 5:50 PM
my goal to learn enough japaneseto make it through a year in japane i have about 2 years to do that so i'd like to know so tips if you will that can help me achive my goal thanks

Feb 8, 2012 1:52 PM

Depends on what you know already. I definitively recommend learning the hiragana and the katakana first, then try to read/listen to easy japanese stuff. Or you know, since we're in an anime site, just try to concentrate on what they're saying with the subs on. Remember, if you feel like you don't understand most of what they're saying, then it's totally NORMAL :) you don't acquire a language in a day. So just keep listening and reading, and patterns will appear.

The second important point is to acquire the grammar. If you're stuck on some grammar that you don't understand, go on sites like http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar to try to clear any misconceptions. And it's totally normal that you get misconceptions as you move along. The important part is that if you want to know, target down what you don't understand from the input and search for the answers.

Oct 31, 2012 12:28 PM

Short - Finish downloading Minna No Nihongo, download other free useful Japanese learning stuffs (please suggest some). Buy actual books.

Intermediate - Enrol in a Japanese learning center? Or maybe find a tutor. And find someone who'll learn with me.

Long-term - Be able to read and at least handle a conversation after 1 or 2 years (is it possible?). Be really fluent as soon as possible then learn another language.

Why do I want to learn? Other than the reason that I love Japanese culture, I also want to be able to speak other languages aside from English and my native one, for my job/career. Also, one of my goals in life is to be multi-lingual (at least 5 languages). Hopefully I can achieve that, now I need to really start doing something and work hard for it!