Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 3, 2007 8:37 AM

Sep 2007
I know its a weird question but i thought seeing as this is the dub haters club you obviously watch subs, so how much Japanese can you learn from subs? I like to think i've learned loads, odd words like urusai and baka are a treat to know how to say so what things have you, as dub haters, learned?
Ah cheese, the devil's play thing.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 3, 2007 3:59 PM

Nov 2007
ive learned quite a bit. i might not be able to read, speak, or write it properly yet (except the kanji which is the exact same thing as Chinese) but as for listening ive improved loads. i can watch a raw and understand probably 25% of it now. im teaching myself jap right now so i should get a little better in a couple of months...

i guess that's also the reason why i like subs better, im sorta picking up little tid bits of the language as i watch it. i'm actually learning parts of a new language and culture, which dubs dont portray at all.
Dec 3, 2007 4:54 PM

Sep 2007
^ Pretty much what he said. Except I don't think I'm quite up to the point where I can understand 25% of a raw episode, but I'm getting there.
Dec 4, 2007 3:13 AM

Sep 2007
Same for me i can get what their saying half the time but not to every detail
Ah cheese, the devil's play thing.

Feb 29, 2008 8:38 PM

Nov 2007
I'd say I've also gotten to the point that I can also understand about 25% of what's being said when I watch a raw episode, but that's mainly because of context clues in the animation and because of key words I recognize in each sentence.

On that note, I didn't really notice how much I had actually learned until 6 months ago when my education course had an experiment to simulate what it's like to be a foreign student. My professor arranged for a special guest to come in and give a small lesson entirely in Japanese, and I was the only one who had a clue what he was saying and could follow his instructions.

I never felt like a bigger Otaku in my life, especially since I had only been watching anime for a little over a year at that point =X. For the remainder of the semester, I was known in the class as the anime fan, hehe. My friends still tease me about it to this day, asking me if I've learned Portuguese yet from watching Brazilian soap operas.
Apr 4, 2008 5:29 PM

Mar 2008
I've learned alot I whould say. Specially words that are used alot like:

Aho - Idiot
Baka - Idiot
Urusei - Shut up/Silence/Its loud
Yakamachi - Shut up (more rude)
Damare - Shut up, maybe more ways to take that, I dunno.
Mizu - water
Meshi (dunno about the spelling) - Food
Arahetta - Hungry
Watashi wa - I am/My name is?
Boku - I
Shinobi xD - Ninja
Mugiwara - Strawhat :P
Shotto matte (spelling? :S) - Wait a minutte
Hage - Dickhead
Gomen dasai (spelling >.<) - Sorry
Sumimase - Sorry
Sonotori - Exactly
Shine (spelling <.<) - Die
Hayaku - Hurry up
Gambate - Do ur best/good luck
Kuma - Bear
Inu - Dog
Neko - Cat
Konoyaro - You bastard
Yaro - bastard? (I've seen it used in nekoyaro so I figured the ''yaro'' was bastard, but I dunno for sure)
Taskete - Help/save me

And alot more I just couldnt get to my mind right now. As u see this is quite crude since I dont know how to spell it or anything, but if its oraly I'd understand.
Jul 7, 2008 8:24 AM

Jul 2008
True true :) I also know some words only from watching subbed adnime :P

Jul 25, 2008 6:45 AM
Jul 2008
Yakamachi said:

And alot more I just couldnt get to my mind right now. As u see this is quite crude since I dont know how to spell it or anything, but if its oraly I'd understand.

orally isnt it?
they say parrots can learn a couple hundred words... so if you can learn that many and be able to read at least hirogana you're well on your way :P... myself, i learnt hiro for fun and i'm starting to learn katakana, tho i stil cant for the life of me write 'wo' in hiro yet >.< .... as for kanji all i know pretty much is the symbol for ppl a la hayate no gotoku when the teacher does that 'supporting ea/o thing' and the town symbol (machi) which i have no idea how i know >.<

does any1 else rember these symbols from familiar pattern such as ro ru and fu share? and how some kanji seem to have boxes in ceartain places like the female character and the months/days ones..?
Aug 4, 2008 1:04 AM
Jul 2008
Watching subbed anime got me into the japanese language. Now i'm planning on taking classes for it. Who says anime doesn't educate people? :p
Aug 27, 2008 5:11 AM

Jul 2008
all the japanese i know is from anime. and i think i know pretty much.
Aug 27, 2008 12:03 PM

Jun 2008
I've learned a lot of useful words from watching anime with subs.
Aug 31, 2008 12:09 PM

Jun 2008
Most of the Japanese I know is from watching subs. I haven't been watching anime for very long, but I can recognize at least one word in each sentence most of the time. It has also taught me to appreciate Asian culture more.
aqffnetlikesOct 10, 2008 9:13 PM
Aug 31, 2008 10:02 PM

Nov 2007
Yakamachi said:

Aho - Idiot
Baka - Idiot
Urusei - Shut up/Silence/Its loud
Yakamachi - Shut up (more rude)
Damare - Shut up, maybe more ways to take that, I dunno.
Mizu - water
Meshi (dunno about the spelling) - Food
Arahetta - Hungry
Watashi wa - I am/My name is?
Boku - I
Shinobi xD - Ninja
Mugiwara - Strawhat :P
Shotto matte (spelling? :S) - Wait a minutte
Hage - Dickhead
Gomen dasai (spelling >.<) - Sorry
Sumimase - Sorry
Sonotori - Exactly
Shine (spelling <.<) - Die
Hayaku - Hurry up
Gambate - Do ur best/good luck
Kuma - Bear
Inu - Dog
Neko - Cat
Konoyaro - You bastard
Yaro - bastard? (I've seen it used in nekoyaro so I figured the ''yaro'' was bastard, but I dunno for sure)
Taskete - Help/save me

I didn't know Yakamachi was shut up also. Sorry is gomen "nasai" not "dasai". "Dasai" means something is very lame. (Sorry, I don't know how to explain this word in English) And it's "harahetta" not "arahetta", "chotto matte" not "shotto matte", "sumimasen" not "sumimase", "tasukete" not "taskete". also, you don't believe it, but "gambatte" not "gambate"
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 29, 2008 1:50 PM

Jul 2008
Not much in my experience. I can only recognize a few words here and there, and that's only because I've been taking classes for a long time.
Omae wa mo shindeiru.
Nov 26, 2008 5:31 PM

Jul 2008
if your first language is english, probably not more than a few words

if you combine it with some japanese studies, you'll end up watching anime raw within 3 years
Oct 30, 2009 4:47 PM

Feb 2008
A Whole lot believe it or not . If its shonen genre I can understand 70-80% . And I have no formal training in Japanese , no self help book or classes .

The first step is to have a little diary book and jot down the easy words translated in the subs . .. That how i started also my freind who introduced me to anime .. Well me and her used to swear at each other in Japanese .... it was a fun game but that how my Japanese vocabulary developed .

The Major problem with dub audience is intelligence levels for starters cant read fast XD
Nov 22, 2009 3:19 AM
Nov 2009
I'm JLPT 2, with absolutely no formal training (and quite proud of it too). I started out on subbed anime, picked up a book from a local bookstore with basic~intermediate sentence patterns/kana/basic kanji in it, and the rest is history.

Subbed anime is actually a great way to pick up vocabulary/sentence patterns, but you have to remember that watching stuff on TV will only get you so far. You'll still need to hit the books, but I would agree that subbed anime/raw manga/games (when you're ready for them) are a good learning experience.
Nov 26, 2009 3:11 AM
Jul 2008

continuing on from this post i made earlier, i can now speak and read on the same level of complexity as an 8 to 12 year old (barring those words just NOT IN anime),
to compare to when i posted this i knew hirogana and some katakana which would be ~50 letters and 10 kanji, whereas now i'm at about 700 kanji plus the 96 seperate hirogana and katakana letters

and
tsubasalover said:
Yakamachi said:

i disagree with you, actually it's the japanese romanji spelling system that is flawed and not this one, if the words were to be spelled out in dictionary phonetics, i'm guessing you would both be as wrong as each other haha

aswani said:

actually one of the spice and wolf subs is done by someone with only 2 years experience (though i suspect they lived in japan then)

joshbeoulve said:

JLPT 3, but i started formal training once a week for 2 hours about 2 or 3 months after my origional post here and i also talk to japanese people an hour or 2 a week on top of that and they teach me interesting words like shuyjinkou and ichiou
i just wish i could have taken JLPT 2 a couple years ago when it was like 50% easyer ;_; mah~ another 6 months or so i guess, i already got the listening down just the reading to go lol
otoko_tenshiNov 26, 2009 3:26 AM
Nov 26, 2009 8:26 PM
Nov 2009
otoko_tenshi said:

JLPT 3, but i started formal training once a week for 2 hours about 2 or 3 months after my origional post here and i also talk to japanese people an hour or 2 a week on top of that and they teach me interesting words like shuyjinkou and ichiou
i just wish i could have taken JLPT 2 a couple years ago when it was like 50% easyer ;_; mah~ another 6 months or so i guess, i already got the listening down just the reading to go lol

Hmm. I'd suggest giving James Heisig's Remembering the Kanji series a try. Note that RTK isn't really good for reviewing for the JLPT (this year's exam is about a week away wooohoo), but if you're looking for something that'll help you learn and retain kanji, RTK might be your best bet.

You can check out a few sample pages here:
http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/publications/miscPublications/pdf/RK4/RK%201_sample.pdf

If you like it, get the book. It's worth the investment.

You can also hang out at the Reviewing the Kanji site here:
http://kanji.koohii.com/

Have fun!
Feb 28, 2010 6:35 AM

Aug 2009
I learened a lot. It's a really interesting language
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» whats the worst dub you have had the misfortune to hear

I_Love_Chicken - Dec 2, 2007

34 by DeletedAccount_ »»
Dec 12, 2012 10:56 AM

» Video game dubs

parallel_worlds - Feb 5, 2009

4 by Neiru2013 »»
Mar 28, 2010 2:12 AM

» Comments here for new officer

Zilveari - Jun 22, 2008

0 by Zilveari »»
Jun 22, 2008 9:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.