3It was OK
8.9%
2Disliked it
5.6%
1Hated it
1.1%
Average 4.4
90 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2009 9:17 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow a seriously heavy episode after a string of really sweet ones.

Jul 30, 2009 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
did anyone get why she was leaning against tree? did she trip? puke? or was she just being overdramatic?

OMMMMMMGGGG what a fucking dramaqueen she is.... there is people who have had familymembers deformed in much worse ways.

gawd this episode felt girly.
Aug 25, 2009 12:47 PM

Aug 2008
I think she puked and was feeling weak. I don't get why you say she's a drama queen, I'd like to see you in her place... And no, I don't think that there's people who've had been deformed in a more horrible form than Kyo. But yeah anime = real life, hmm?

I loved this episode, it was really moving even if I can't see anything because of all the darkness xD

Aug 26, 2009 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
Fumiko said:
I think she puked and was feeling weak. I don't get why you say she's a drama queen, I'd like to see you in her place... And no, I don't think that there's people who've had been deformed in a more horrible form than Kyo. But yeah anime = real life, hmm?

I loved this episode, it was really moving even if I can't see anything because of all the darkness xD

ehm? have you ever seen someone whos been burned or maybe had a tumore in their face?
Sep 23, 2009 11:20 AM

Sep 2008
I really loved this episode... Admittedly, though, I thought they could have done with less silence. It could have gone a little faster. Then again, maybe they were using that to try to build up the emotional impact on the watcher, I guess.

The atmosphere was really heavy, but it was still a lovely episode.
Nov 13, 2009 11:15 AM

Jun 2009
negative1111 said:
Fumiko said:

ehm? have you ever seen someone whos been burned or maybe had a tumore in their face?

Are you seriously comparing burn victims to... what looks like a demon from someones nightmares? Its true there are many deformities like burn victims or tumors that could be shocking especially if their family members, but at least for more ordinary people its still comprehensible in the sense that their still people. I mean, are you more likely to be scared/snap mentally when your standing infront of diablo, the lord of terror... or a burn victim, guess thats exaggerating the point to my side, but you get what i'm trying to say.

In any case, good episode, i found the part with Tohru's friends to be touching. I hope Tohru has strengthened her resolve, onto the last ep.
Mar 3, 2010 9:43 AM

Aug 2008
wow, i cried so much. T___T
Kyo had such a lonely life in that it was cursed. I wonder what will Tohru do. A little conversation with Akito, or rather a monologue surprised me . It was strange and a bit annoying cuz during that Honda did not absolutely nothing. And a big shock about Hanajima (what a pity that she didn't appear so much in this anime), howshe knew it all! " how she knew that there, on the graveyard - would be Tohru, how she knew that onlyTohru can do something, that she has to go somewhere?

Awesome episode, one of best
Apr 6, 2010 12:07 AM

May 2009
brinan said:

Are you seriously comparing burn victims to... what looks like a demon from someones nightmares? Its true there are many deformities like burn victims or tumors that could be shocking especially if their family members, but at least for more ordinary people its still comprehensible in the sense that their still people. I mean, are you more likely to be scared/snap mentally when your standing infront of diablo, the lord of terror... or a burn victim, guess thats exaggerating the point to my side, but you get what i'm trying to say.

In any case, good episode, i found the part with Tohru's friends to be touching. I hope Tohru has strengthened her resolve, onto the last ep.

Burn victims are grosser. Kyo just looked like a big goofy monster, something you'd see on sesame street.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Apr 8, 2010 1:29 AM
Mar 2010
negative1111 said:
did anyone get why she was leaning against tree? did she trip? puke? or was she just being overdramatic?

OMMMMMMGGGG what a fucking dramaqueen she is.... there is people who have had familymembers deformed in much worse ways.

gawd this episode felt girly.

i think her foot got stuck when she tripped or something o.o
May 27, 2010 4:17 PM

Apr 2010
If I was Tohru when Akito got in my face, I would've slapped the shit out of him and said I don't care. You ruined everyone's life anyway! D:<

Jun 24, 2010 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
brinan said:
negative1111 said:
Fumiko said:

you just compared a little rabbit looking thing to diablo... i would shit bricks if i saw diablo unnoticed... but she knew before that they could change and stuff... and she puked because of the smell so you are wrong noobs... i am right! as always
Jul 1, 2010 9:08 PM

Mar 2009
Ehhhh...

As a manga reader, I wasn't too happy with how they handled the cemetery scene and Tohru's reluctance to go see Kyo. The entire scene was too melodramatic. Why they added something like this when it isn't even in the manga is beyond me. The same applies to Akito showing up out of nowhere while Tohru is by the tree.
Aug 28, 2010 3:30 AM
Jan 2009
Imo it was a good episode, some of the earlier eps were really boring but this was pretty interesting.
Jan 23, 2011 5:33 PM

Mar 2009
What a dramatic episode-quite a shocker after seeing so many sweet episodes, but I guess that it was all leading up to this.
I hope that Tohru does regain her strength so she can deal with poor Kyo and become a part of the Soma family again. This family is so cursed and she is the only bright spot for them.
Feb 21, 2011 11:31 AM

Aug 2009
To all te people that keep comparing burnt people or people with tumors
you know you're comparing a human being with a monster :/
kyo is a monster and looks quiet scary for an ordinary person can handle and when taking of the bracle he transform to his true form and has a horrible smell which again ordinary people can't handle which cause tohru to puke a lot by the tree
but she isn't a drama queen she's truamatized from seeing a person she cares for turn to a monster right before her eyes

learning more about kyo of how his childhood was looked pretty sad but it seems like shishou saved him good episode overall

Mar 25, 2011 7:35 PM

Jun 2009
Wow this was a intense ep and I am not saying Tohru is being dramatic but I am somehow disappointed about her...like she was supposed to be different...idk they always showed us how she understand other but now it's just so...idk.
Mar 25, 2011 8:32 PM

Jun 2009
moniilove said:
Wow this was a intense ep and I am not saying Tohru is being dramatic but I am somehow disappointed about her...like she was supposed to be different...idk they always showed us how she understand other but now it's just so...idk.

I think this would test even the most good hear-ted people, so I don't think you can blame her. I hate to bring it up, but there are quite a few differences in the manga during this part.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 16, 2011 2:26 AM

Dec 2009
It's not like he's going to stay in that form for the rest of his life right?

So I don't understand the big drama Tohru is making out of this.
Jul 16, 2011 2:37 AM
Jun 2008
well, if my friend become a zombie, dragon, or monster.It is very hard to imagine what kind of reaction I am going to take.Normally at first it is very hard to accept such S-Fi truth that happen in front of my eye. but in this episode I think I might react the same thing like Tohru did if Kyou(my best friend) become a ugly monster.Unexpected situation like this take time to understand .
well in the manga is a bit diff thou, but the Anime also open a new way to see how Tohru really is .

and Aki is a sadist ><

I think this is the 5th time I am watching this...
first in yout tube > torrent x 2 >veoh > himado = 5 time lol
MorningGloryJul 16, 2011 2:43 AM
Aug 30, 2011 4:28 PM

May 2011
wow this is deep. i rly want to see how this turns out in the next ep.
I LOVE THIS ANIME
Nov 4, 2011 4:15 AM
Sep 2010
Loved this ep. because what tohru did is more of a "true" reaction anybody would have. Not always the "I'll accept you for who you are!" right away.

Anybody would be traumatized first, but at least, hopefully she will get over it.
Now we understand where kyo's anger is coming from.

And did I say Master is hot? LOL
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/jcyui&sclick=1">

~Yui~

black_faerie

Mar 30, 2012 7:46 PM

Jan 2011
This reminds me of Tam Lin and how in order to return him to the mortal world his lover had to hold him tight through all sorts of transformations. I'll wish Tohru luck, because Kyo's fate depends on her.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 5, 2012 12:28 AM

Oct 2008
Tohru is obviously shocked from what she saw. I'm just glad Hanajima's there to give her a push.

Kazuma has really cared for Kyo now. I think he was hurt when Kyo said he isn't his father. I feel sad for everyone. Especially Kyo. It seems the cat is the most miserable out of the cursed zodiacs. And Akito is annoying as hell! I hate him!
Nov 1, 2012 8:05 AM

May 2012
Woh a great episode, really getting everything to the best and as epic for the last! Lets see what the last episode will bring, will we see a happy ending?

Really loved it!
Feb 16, 2013 10:43 PM

Jan 2013
I guess Akito is feeling smug right now... I was pretty impressed with Tohru's reaction. She seemed to be trying to deal with the shock of seeing Kyo in his true form, but obviously needed the help of Saki. I mean, she tried to follow him until she got so sick she was throwing up.
Mar 2, 2013 5:36 AM

Jan 2012
A very emotional episode, it had a great impact. Still, I feel her reaction was atleast a bit over the top, the whole transformation thing is already usual for her and he didn't look all that scary to me.

Jun 7, 2013 7:33 PM

Jul 2008
Looked like a skinned cat or cat without fur.

This episode was a failure. The most melodramatic thing I've seen in anime so far. Especially the grave scene... wow.
Jun 15, 2013 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
This episode is admittedly over dramatic but I still loved it.
Aug 18, 2013 11:11 AM

Jun 2009
Ero-Camel said:
Looked like a skinned cat or cat without fur.

This episode was a failure. The most melodramatic thing I've seen in anime so far. Especially the grave scene... wow.

Well, I'm happy to say that the grave scene didn't exist in the manga. In the manga Tohru gets sick at the tree (she also doesn't meet Akito) and then gets back up to chase after Kyo. I guess the creators of the anime wanted to include her friends somehow and to push Akito into the front in order to set up the next episode. But, I think it was a bit of a failure.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 19, 2014 9:17 AM

Jan 2014
Alicia3000 said:
Wow a seriously heavy episode after a string of really sweet ones.
That's right. There's so much going on in my mind right now...
I don't even know what to write... I'm just so sad the next
episode is the last one... But I hope for a magnificient ending!
Jan 21, 2015 12:17 PM

Nov 2014
The feels this episode gave me...omg I had chills it was so sad. :(

And seeing Tohru so sad and broken like that especially at the cemetery...

And I can't stand Akito, so rude and nasty to Tohru.
May 28, 2015 9:50 AM
Jun 2013
I liked how things became a bit more serious but I thought the graveyard scene was a little dumb. There was no real need to add her friends into the end and try to give her Saki's random ESP enough influence over the story. I'm not even really sure why she's been crying the whole time. Does she not accept him for who he is? I mean yeah it's a shock but with her attitude on life, friends, and accepting people, I expected her to have a completely different response. I mean she ran right after him...and then just decided to give up randomly. Yeah that Akito dude made it worse, but she was just lying there the whole time.

Interesting how they decided to end things with Kyo. I didn't really expect the story to move in this direction but it's all good. One more episode.
Jun 26, 2015 1:00 PM

Mar 2015
I wonder if it is really necessary all that scene featuring Akito? and the scene of her friends I think was indeed filler
besides that yeah, it was so heave D': , Come on Tohru!, save Kyo, you wasn't over dramatic as several people are saying
Jul 22, 2015 3:56 AM

Jun 2015
Hi !. Does anyone knows which zodiac animal was Akito.
Jul 30, 2015 2:01 AM
Jul 2015
I don't get it. If Kyo turned into a monster shouldn't it be somme kind of cat monster and not a reptile?
Jul 31, 2015 3:03 PM

Jan 2012
Damn nice ep ,dem feels.

Aug 16, 2015 10:12 AM

Dec 2012
Phew, I couldn't even breathe this episode. Everything about it was so suffocating and profound. The deafening silence spoke more volumes than any amount of dialogue. Tohru didn't react the way I'd have expected, but what's really made me anxious is why she's so brokenhearted. I have the feeling that it's not disgust, but her own selflessness that's caused her to feel so ashamed that she couldn't save Kyo from the suffering caused by that form. The moment that got me the most was during Kazuma's flashback when he rejected his grandfather.

I need to get to the last episode so I can get some oxygen in the body again.
Jan 5, 2016 1:44 PM

Aug 2013
Man Akito's such an ass.
Oct 8, 2016 9:12 PM

Sep 2013
Not sure why everyone puts up with Akito. SOmeone should just smack him around and tell him to fuck off.....just sayin'

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 10, 2017 6:26 PM
Aug 2016
These last couple episode have been really powerful in animation and in story. I feel as if the anime, even if being cutesy, really led up to this episode. I really didn't expect Tohru's response, however it was a powerful one that spoke volumes to the amount of suffering she's dealt with after being introduced to the family. This anime actually exceeded my expectations.

(watching the dub and the voice acting with the girls could have been better with their delivery and timing)
Sep 1, 2017 8:45 AM

Aug 2017
This anime will be my fifth this month. I'm still curious about what happened to akito after the last episode.
Apr 30, 2019 8:11 AM
Apr 2019
im confused on why she puked. can someone please tell me?
May 29, 2019 7:15 PM

Apr 2011
nikachuuz said:
im confused on why she puked. can someone please tell me?
Cause in his true form Kyo smells really bad. Like kid Akito said, like something dead and rotting.
Feb 26, 2021 2:21 AM

Dec 2007
hmm, i understand that form (no just ugly but totally unlike so far style of the anime) is shocking and all, but they totally ruined tohru personality. i mean, seriously she cried all the episode because one ugly form of her friend? the drama was good and all, but it's really too much.

hanajima couldn't be more dramatic than she was xD

and finally akito came out with his evil.
Mar 10, 2023 12:12 PM
Mar 2019
Weird episode. The only good thing was the master's backstory. The silent parts dragged on too much. Akito was random there. The grave scene was weird as heck. How come Tohru didn't get a cold from all of this? Or the others? They were out all night, soaked. Next, how did Tohru find Kyo when she barely walked and didn't look like she knew where she was going? As others mentioned, the manga is different so that's good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 6 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 15, 2008

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 9, 9:12 AM

» Is there any reason to start with this version rather than the remake?

herofelix77 - Jun 20, 2021

20 by wildhood »»
Mar 7, 6:54 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 20 Discussion

bluegummiworms - Dec 25, 2008

26 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 29, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 12 Discussion

Zerosbakainu - Sep 22, 2008

25 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 25, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Juliab - Dec 13, 2007

51 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Feb 22, 11:37 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.