Forum Settings
Forums

Do you hate a series, just because it's popular?

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 4, 2014 11:32 AM

Sep 2012
Of course, because I'm a normal adult human being who understands we're pack animals and have long gotten over the teen rebel phase that the Internet as a whole can't mature beyond.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Feb 4, 2014 11:38 AM
Oct 2013
Hate is a strong word, dislike is a better way to put it.

That being said, I think being an incessant defender of a show is worse than hating it, but it also goes the other way in which the fanboys will groupthink their hate.

i.e. Naruto fans hating One Piece, Inferno Cop fans hating SAO, NGE fans hating Madoka, LOGH fans hating K-On, so on and so on.
"The mind is better off free, rather than in chains."

-Anonymous
Feb 4, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2013
No. Usually popular shows are pretty good
Feb 4, 2014 11:41 AM

Dec 2012
Cupquake said:
No. Usually popular shows are pretty good

Hence why they're popular.
Feb 4, 2014 11:52 AM

Apr 2009
I think 90% of all fiction sucks, which also includes 90% of all popular fiction. I may hate on a lot of popular stuff, but that is because I hate nearly all series.

Disliking things just because they are popular is just another facette of the stupidity that runs rampant in these forums.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 4, 2014 12:11 PM

Jul 2013
Something that's shitty becoming popular is pretty annoying, but I don't think anything is shitty simply because it's popular.
Feb 4, 2014 12:23 PM

Dec 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
metamorphius said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
RandomPerson4 said:
Yes there are people like that. They're called hipsters (but they call themselves "elitists").

based on the top 20 tv animes list i say 99 peract of mal are hipsters

Indeed. It doesn't get more hipster than FMA:B, AoT, Clannad, Code Geass, Death Note etc. Obscure shit.
i only listen to real obscure underground music, like lady gaga or black eyed peas

Lil Wayne is the LoGH of music, 2deep4plebs. Yet another thread where Date makes my day.

@ OP - It's all out of spite, I've literally seen people who are like "Oh I would give it a 7/10 but it was too popular so I'm going to give it a 5/10!" or "I'd give it an 8/10 but I don't like the fanbase, so it's 4/10." To put it as nicely as possible, just too many retards.
Feb 4, 2014 12:38 PM

Aug 2008
If an anime is popular it doesn't necessarily mean it's "good," but there's nothing wrong with a "good" anime being popular.
Feb 4, 2014 12:41 PM

Jun 2012
I just like what I like.
получить деньги моего друга
Feb 4, 2014 12:50 PM

Sep 2013
Eh thats half the reason I hate Naruto. But the other half is because of the fans.
Feb 4, 2014 12:52 PM

Apr 2013
Old_Raven said:
Eh thats half the reason I hate Naruto. But the other half is because of the fans.

So you're saying that you only hate nature because of the fans and the popularity, nothing about the anime itself.

Wow
Feb 4, 2014 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
Cupquake said:
So you're saying that you only hate nature because of the fans and the popularity, nothing about the anime itself.

Wow
nature
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 4, 2014 12:54 PM

Aug 2008
Emnay said:
Cupquake said:

Wow
nature

That horrible scientific journal. Man, I never knew it had hate extending all the way here.
Feb 4, 2014 12:54 PM

Apr 2013
Emnay said:
Cupquake said:

Wow
nature

Autocorrect

Hating naruto=hating nature
Feb 4, 2014 12:55 PM
Feb 2012
How sad must one's existence be for them to hate something only because of its popularity?
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 4, 2014 12:56 PM

Nov 2013
I always lol at the people who make bad arguments on why attack on titan and code geass are shit. I really just don't understand why people want to be so picky for no reason
Feb 4, 2014 1:01 PM

Jun 2011
Cupquake said:
Emnay said:
Cupquake said:

Wow
nature

Autocorrect

Hating naruto=hating nature

In other word, Naruto = nature?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 4, 2014 1:03 PM

Jan 2014
Old_Raven said:

Well, aren't you missing out! (: We are better off without you, anyway.
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 4, 2014 1:04 PM

Jan 2014
I think it drives some people nuts that they can't seem to like something, yet everyone else thinks it's the best thing ever. Hating may just be a way to compensate.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 4, 2014 1:11 PM

Jun 2011
RedRoseFring said:
I think it drives some people nuts that they can't seem to like something, yet everyone else thinks it's the best thing ever. Hating may just be a way to compensate.

Makes sense.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 4, 2014 1:12 PM

Nov 2010
RedRoseFring said:
They do say that when you hate something you are actually jealous. Or that it's connected to jealousy or something like that.
Feb 4, 2014 1:18 PM

Jan 2014
Nope. I don't really mind or care about popularity.
Feb 4, 2014 1:18 PM

Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
RedRoseFring said:
They do say that when you hate something you are actually jealous. Or that it's connected to jealousy or something like that.

Awesome avatar. Hey glasses freak, can I send you a friend request? Also what anime is it from?
Feb 4, 2014 1:41 PM
Dec 2013
Litrydow said:
Yes, it's a simple logic: something becomes popular exactly because it is bad, because the masses have shit taste. So the more obscure and unliked a series is, then automatically the better it is.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not.
Feb 4, 2014 1:44 PM
Dec 2013
No, I just have higher expectations when I'm about to watch a popular anime. If a popular anime is really good then why should I hate it?
Feb 4, 2014 1:46 PM
Jul 2018
No. If something is popular, that doesn't change my opinion of it. I have to watch it first to formulate a valid opinion of how the show is. Hum. I could see this being a problem for people who feel self-conscious about not liking a series that their friends glorify though.
Feb 4, 2014 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
No. But I only like a few popular show.
Feb 4, 2014 1:52 PM

Jan 2012
there are going to be people like that, the only thing that really annoys me is when they haven't even watched the anime.... i don't hate or bash a series if i haven't watched any of it, how can anything i say be taken seriously?! aha
Feb 4, 2014 2:09 PM

Oct 2013
No, it depends on if the show is actually good or not. SAO is garbage imo and yet it gets so much hype. I'm also trying to watch Berserk right now and I think it's boring yet everyone likes it. If the anime sucks and it's popular, then that just pisses me off.
Feb 4, 2014 2:12 PM

Jun 2008
It's childish.
Feb 4, 2014 2:23 PM

Apr 2011
I hate a series because it's bad
Feb 4, 2014 2:25 PM

Nov 2010
keragamming said:
IntroverTurtle said:
RedRoseFring said:

Awesome avatar. Hey glasses freak, can I send you a friend request? Also what anime is it from?
Thanks. Sure. Gakkatsu!
Feb 4, 2014 2:34 PM

Apr 2012
why would you hate something just because it's popular? It makes way less sense than to love something just because it's popular.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Feb 4, 2014 3:00 PM

Jun 2013
Anything that has a Deus Ex Machina plot to it automatically sucks. I'm looking at you SAO 2nd half!
Feb 4, 2014 3:02 PM

Apr 2013
Kirishiro-chan said:
Anything that has a Deus Ex Machina plot to it automatically sucks. I'm looking at you SAO 2nd half!

so lord of the flies was bad?
Feb 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Jun 2013
Cupquake said:
Kirishiro-chan said:

Anything Anime-related I mean, sorry for the confusion.
Feb 4, 2014 3:10 PM

Aug 2013
Hating something because it's popular isn't justifiable. I do however have higher expectations for it.
Feb 4, 2014 3:16 PM

Jun 2012
#PROTECTDISSENT

Historically speaking the masses have always flocked to the biggest turd. Clearly being less popular already means you're superior.

Just look at those filthy neckbeard losers, they're less popular than everyone else so they must be cool.

Kirishiro-chan said:
JAJAJAJAGO FUCK YOURSELF, Vento Aureo was a masterpiece.
OchimushaFeb 4, 2014 3:20 PM
Feb 4, 2014 3:20 PM

Jun 2007
The only affect popularity has for me is if a show is really popular, I may end up checking it out sooner than later to see if the hype is justified. As far as whether or not it has any bearing on my enjoyment of a show, no. I don't let other people decide for me what is and is not good :)
Feb 4, 2014 3:26 PM

May 2013
Litrydow said:
Yes, it's a simple logic: something becomes popular exactly because it is bad, because the masses have shit taste. So the more obscure and unliked a series is, then automatically the better it is.

This honestly sums up the position of many anime watchers very well.

I don't hate something because its popular. I might say that its quality doesn't match its popularity, but I'm not going to hate on the series BECAUSE its popular. Certain fanbases can be somewhat annoying, though.

Saying "This anime is popular, so it must be bad" is just as bad as saying "This anime is popular, so it must be good."
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 4, 2014 3:44 PM

Jul 2013
My take on it is that even though I love finding "hidden gems" like Girls und Panzer and Tokyo Tribe 2. I do like Code Geass and K-on which are hella popular anime while I just couldn't get into One Piece or Naruto cuz 1. its hella long 2. All the Big 3 fans think its the best anime of all time. 3. Due to hella spoilers, SNK kills off characters left and right like every other episode and one thing that I'm big on is being emotionally attached to specific characters.

Also, what some people have mentioned also applies to how I see popular anime. SNK seems to cater more to the casual anime fan, 1st-time anime fan which was usually introduced to anime via some shounen like Naruto. I do like Death Note as well but haven't finished it(Adult Swim, Toonami stopped airing it) and yeah some fanbases are annoying like SNK's, One Pieces, and Naruto's. Surprisingly enough, alot of FMA fans don't seem to sing of it's praises often and don't hear them talking shit to the more obscure anime like Denpa Onna. Then again, alot of people here on MAL think I'm a hopeless Yuri, SOL fanboy who loves anything kawaii and moe(which is true), which some people find annoying. On a random note, I want to change people's perceptions of how a Yuri fanboy looks like. We too can be athletic and play football and still like kawaii/moe things as much as anybody else.

Also join this club(which until recently didn't know I was appointed Admin) if you're a manly man AND also love kawaii and moe and everything that has to do with cute and fluffy things :3

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=31467
1L0can0Feb 4, 2014 4:10 PM
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Feb 4, 2014 3:48 PM

Jun 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
#PROTECTDISSENT

Historically speaking the masses have always flocked to the biggest turd. Clearly being less popular already means you're superior.

Just look at those filthy neckbeard losers, they're less popular than everyone else so they must be cool.

Kirishiro-chan said:
I don't care for anime with that type of art style. It looks like beefed up people on steroids. Same goes for street fighter, only it's better as a game then it is an anime. I played street fighter to death when I was a kid. I get that people like what they like, but the art style (to me at least) is atrocious.
Feb 4, 2014 3:58 PM

Jan 2014
1L0can0 said:
All the Big 3 fans think its the best anime of all time

And this affects you because..?
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 4, 2014 4:00 PM

Jun 2012
Kirishiro-chan said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
#PROTECTDISSENT

Kirishiro-chan said:
I don't care for anime with that type of art style. It looks like beefed up people on steroids. Same goes for street fighter, only it's better as a game then it is an anime. I played street fighter to death when I was a kid. I get that people like what they like, but the art style (to me at least) is atrocious.
I bet you won't be saying that with a whopping GOLD EXPERIENCE REQUIEM in your face.
It's not an Anime though, it's Manga.

Half of the Street Fighter characters are based on JoJo :o
Feb 4, 2014 4:00 PM

Apr 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Cupquake said:
Kirishiro-chan said:
What was the DEM in Lord of the Flies?

When the sailor comes at the end and rescues all the boys before Ralph was going to be killed
Feb 4, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
Cupquake said:
Forgetfulness said:
Cupquake said:
Kirishiro-chan said:
What was the DEM in Lord of the Flies?

When the sailor comes at the end and rescues all the boys before Ralph was going to be killed

To be fair, they were probably being searched for the day the plane went missing. In that case we could just call it coincidence or "good timing", but I think there was supposed to be an underlying theme at that point as the murderous animals turned back into crying little boys when they saw the sailors.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Feb 4, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2013
Sometimes I put off or avoid something if I'm constantly surrounded by people talking about it because it gets really annoying and I'm not sure why exactly. And then sometimes I'll end up trying the thing anyway and then end I'll up liking it. This has happened several times.

[[Website]]

Feb 4, 2014 4:04 PM

Jun 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Kirishiro-chan said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
#PROTECTDISSENT

Kirishiro-chan said:
I bet you won't be saying that with a whopping GOLD EXPERIENCE REQUIEM in your face.
It's not an Anime though, it's Manga.

Half of the Street Fighter characters are based on JoJo :o
Yu Yu Hakusho is better, that's all I'm gonna say.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

40 by redorzo »»
3 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

64 by Sorachin »»
7 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

31 by Meusnier »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

92 by dayooooon »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

35 by phantom346 »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.