Forum Settings
Forums

Do you hate a series, just because it's popular?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2014 6:12 AM

Dec 2009
Dubai said:
But, apparently a majority of people have "shit taste." :I

If you say so you have to admit you are same as others and also have shit taste - otherwise you want to make yourself look like elitist. But eventually other people will still come up to idea you are the one who got bad taste, not them. So good/bad taste is a very subjective term.

superseiyan said:
Basically, both David Beckham/Sword Art Online were perhaps never 9-10/10 level, but then started being treated as 4-5/10 level when they’re really solid 7/10 levels.

Well, ok. But thats a bit different - in your example hate came after actually becoming a superstar. So firstly he was loved and popular and later on when people understood he is not that great they became angry and alot of haters appeared. Same happened with SAO.
But in alot of cases people hate something which just became popular just for the reason its popular. E.g. alot of people were talking about Titans and said its great (even before anime was out) and at the same time there were people who said "its crap" and were rating anime here on MAL 1 or 2 out of 10 just to make the score go down. So this kind of dislike come out of a reason something (or someone) has too many fans.
Feb 6, 2014 6:23 AM

Feb 2013
Dubai said:
unmemorable_hero said:
A lot of people do this, I just watch what I think will be enjoyable.

If a lot of people like it, there is probably a reason....
When i click the "Most popular" button of the website, i notice "the majority of people" is more interested in Naruto, Sword Art online and Fairy Tail than ALL Miyazaki's movies.

Explain how this not having shit tastes?
sed_lexFeb 6, 2014 6:27 AM
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Feb 6, 2014 6:33 AM

Jan 2014
ButNotForMe said:
SnK anime is miles ahead of SAO Anime

fact

Why?
Feb 6, 2014 6:44 AM

Dec 2009
irrols said:
hen i click the "Most popular" button of the website, i notice "the majority of people" is more interested in Naruto, Sword Art online and Fairy Tail than ALL Miyazaki's movies.

Do you know that popularity ranking is formed on the amount of users who have those anime in their lists? And its pretty obvious - most teens start watching anime after watching Naruto/FT/etc somewhere on tv or hear about it from classmates. Later on they watch more stuff and get the idea of what genre/style they prefer.
Popularity ranking has nothing to do with average score. If you check top anime table you'll see way different picture. E.g. same Naruto is ranked: #828 and SAO is on 204 position on score. And there are alot of Ghibli movies in first 100 top.
Feb 6, 2014 6:49 AM

Apr 2013
wanderingplayboy said:
ButNotForMe said:

fact

Why?

Snk is better at every aspect, like story, character, music, animation, etc

SAO goes downhill after episode 1
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 6, 2014 7:16 AM
Nov 2008
unmemorable_hero said:
Ah, but popularity isn't a sign of quality.
Feb 6, 2014 7:39 AM

Nov 2010
Heredity said:
unmemorable_hero said:
To a point it is, the same with sales.
Feb 6, 2014 7:39 AM

Jan 2013
Heredity said:
unmemorable_hero said:

This.

SnK I enjoy the Manga, but the anime was crap in comparision.
Feb 6, 2014 7:52 AM

Feb 2013
Toshiru said:
irrols said:
hen i click the "Most popular" button of the website, i notice "the majority of people" is more interested in Naruto, Sword Art online and Fairy Tail than ALL Miyazaki's movies.

Do you know that popularity ranking is formed on the amount of users who have those anime in their lists? And its pretty obvious - most teens start watching anime after watching Naruto/FT/etc somewhere on tv or hear about it from classmates. Later on they watch more stuff and get the idea of what genre/style they prefer.
Popularity ranking has nothing to do with average score. If you check top anime table you'll see way different picture. E.g. same Naruto is ranked: #828 and SAO is on 204 position on score. And there are alot of Ghibli movies in first 100 top.
Makes me right so.
Feb 6, 2014 7:53 AM

Jan 2014
The rate of people who like something just because it's popular still outweighs that of people who hate it for that reason. In almost every case. By a large margin.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2014 8:35 AM

Jan 2014
It makes much more sense to hate a series because of its fanbase rather than the quality itself, I think. You can dislike a series because it's bad, but hating a series because it's bad doesn't sound logic to me. I mean, even the worst series ever that made your eyes bleed didn't do anything wrong to you personally since you could just stop watching it or simply ignore it. You hate it because you care :/

ButNotForMe said:
wanderingplayboy said:
ButNotForMe said:

fact

Why?

Snk is better at every aspect, like story, character, music, animation, etc

SAO goes downhill after episode 1

I see. I'm sorry then. I guess, I can't see the outstanding part of SnK (compared to SAO) beside the music.
Feb 6, 2014 8:42 AM

Feb 2013
its easier to find reasons to hate popular series i know this from 4chan
Feb 6, 2014 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
irrols said:
Dubai said:
unmemorable_hero said:
A lot of people do this, I just watch what I think will be enjoyable.

When i click the "Most popular" button of the website, i notice "the majority of people" is more interested in Naruto, Sword Art online and Fairy Tail than ALL Miyazaki's movies.

Just seems like people are liking what they like with their difference in opinion to me. Someone can easily label certain shows as you did, but unless the fans of those shows feel like it's their problem, then it's not really accomplishing anything is it? Stating your opinion is fine, but it's restricted by being an opinion.
Feb 6, 2014 10:27 AM

Feb 2013
Aylaine said:
Just seems like people are liking what they like with their difference in opinion to me. Someone can easily label certain shows as you did, but unless the fans of those shows feel like it's their problem, then it's not really accomplishing anything is it? Stating your opinion is fine, but it's restricted by being an opinion.
You must have been brainwashed really hard by TV or Hollywood movies, coming here and saying that prefering water over excrements is "just an opinion" or "a matter of taste". You know where these "arguments" come from right? And who they are serving? It has nothing to do with an open-minded philosophy or a wise attitude.
Feb 6, 2014 10:35 AM
Oct 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
Miraclezify said:
Plenty of people who hate an anime just because it's popular. roriconfan and a bunch of his fans are like that in fact, so we have quite the community on this website that shows it.
Don't forget DraconisMarch. Him and rori are two people I know for sure are heavily influenced by a show's popularity

And attract people to further hatred of popular shows just they said so.

i.e. Madoka Rebellion (which I can't fathom as to why they even hate it in the first place)
"The mind is better off free, rather than in chains."

-Anonymous
Feb 6, 2014 10:39 AM

Feb 2010
RichardSherman said:
SeibaaHomu said:
Miraclezify said:
Plenty of people who hate an anime just because it's popular. roriconfan and a bunch of his fans are like that in fact, so we have quite the community on this website that shows it.
Don't forget DraconisMarch. Him and rori are two people I know for sure are heavily influenced by a show's popularity

i.e. Madoka Rebellion (which I can't fathom as to why they even hate it in the first place)

Roriconfan's top rated shows are almost all pretty popular ones though. FMA:B, NGE, TTGL, Bebop, etc etc...
Nothing up there (9s and 10s) that I would call obscure. Just because he probably disliked one of your favorite animu doesn't mean he hates whatever is popular... At least do your rersearch before making any claims like that.

As for the Madoka Movie, I blame people for watching shitty camrips. Nothing can be good if you see it like that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 6, 2014 10:41 AM

Jan 2014
Heredity said:
unmemorable_hero said:

Extreme/mainstream popularity are directly a result of mediocrity, repetitiveness, and pleasing the crowd.

Pop genre, generic action movies, most of Weekly Shonen Jump series are examples of that.
Not saying these are all certainly bad, but generally speaking that's the case. Actually good series do get popular too of course, but not on the same scale.

Most defendants of popular shows here appear to be fans of said popular shows, and try to label everyone else as "hater" because of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2014 10:42 AM

May 2010
yes i do. especially if the series is a bag of shit like sao or gc.
Feb 6, 2014 10:57 AM

Dec 2009
irrols said:
Makes me right so.

Makes you right only in case you don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

irrols said:
You must have been brainwashed really hard by TV or Hollywood movies, coming here and saying that prefering water over excrements is "just an opinion" or "a matter of taste". You know where these "arguments" come from right? And who they are serving? It has nothing to do with an open-minded philosophy or a wise attitude.

Oh, not a follower of conspiracy theory! Ok, its all simple with water and excrements. But now we are talking here about anime (it goes same for movies/cloths/books/etc). Who has the right to say which one is "good" and which is "bad"? It is and always will be matter of personal taste. Saying everyone around is wrong and not even listening to other people's arguments make you look self-obsessed.

wanderingplayboy said:
It makes much more sense to hate a series because of its fanbase rather than the quality itself, I think. You can dislike a series because it's bad, but hating a series because it's bad doesn't sound logic to me. I mean, even the worst series ever that made your eyes bleed didn't do anything wrong to you personally since you could just stop watching it or simply ignore it. You hate it because you care :/

True. Some people hate series which they never seen aswell - and mostly because of the fanbase. Though I can see some people hating on popular anime for the following reason: this anime is well-known and everyone talks about it while anime that hater like is not that known or pretty low rated. So thats some kind of hate which came from loving too much something else and being jealous.
Feb 6, 2014 11:18 AM
Oct 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Roriconfan's top rated shows are almost all pretty popular ones though. FMA:B, NGE, TTGL, Bebop, etc etc...

Yes.

Nothing up there (9s and 10s) that I would call obscure. Just because he probably disliked one of your favorite animu doesn't mean he hates whatever is popular...

But he does so by trying to attract viewers by using blanket judgment as opposed to just taking a neutral standpoint. Unfortunately, journalism is meant to convey sensational and negative feedback so in a way you're correct, but in a way, it's not exactly how critics should review their anime, they're just acting like entitled children. That's all.

At least do your rersearch before making any claims like that.

I've done so, and there's quite a few that he did exactly what I said above. I'm not butthurt, in fact, I could care less if he doesn't like my favorite shows.

As for the Madoka Movie, I blame people for watching shitty camrips. Nothing can be good if you see it like that.

Understandable.

-Anonymous
Feb 6, 2014 11:28 AM

Feb 2010
I don't know, but the reviews I read of roriconfan were pretty neutral. He has over 800 on MAL alone though so it's not hard to imagine there being some variation amongst them.

But as katsu said, I'd rather have someone point out what exactly influenced his enjoyment of the show (also negatively) than all those random and 'neutral' reviews that basically tell you nothing about the show. What the fuck does it even mean if someone gives a show 6/10 for art instead of 8/10? I don't consider that neutral at all. Roriconfan at least manages to neutrally describe the aspects that made him dislike a show, which is better (imo) than giving off your subjective imrpessions of art, OST, characters and plot under the guise of being 'neutral' about it. Because as a matter of fact noone is neutral about it, and openly discussing the aspects that made you (dis)like a show is more useful than just listing whatever appears in the anime and then giving subjective ratings to it.
Feb 6, 2014 12:46 PM

Feb 2013
Toshiru said:
irrols said:

Oh, not a follower of conspiracy theory! Ok, its all simple with water and excrements. But now we are talking here about anime (it goes same for movies/cloths/books/etc). Who has the right to say which one is "good" and which is "bad"? It is and always will be matter of personal taste. Saying everyone around is wrong and not even listening to other people's arguments make you look self-obsessed.
I don't remember saying that everyone is wrong, why are you making things up? Why are you talking about "conspiracy"?

Anyway, i won't try to argue anymore since your list says you watched 600++ animes and still is full of One Piece titles in its top tier part. I guess noone can save you now.

ps: you could have said you were a OP fanboy right at start, and not talk some neutral "everything = everything" shit.
Feb 6, 2014 12:50 PM

Jun 2011
irrols said:
Toshiru said:
irrols said:

I don't remember saying that everyone is wrong, why are you making things up? Why are you talking about "conspiracy"?

Anyway, i won't try to argue anymore since your list says you watched 600++ animes and still is full of One Piece titles in its top tier part. I guess noone can save you now.

ps: you could have said you were a OP fanboy right at start, and not talk some neutral "everything = everything" shit.

Are you implying that you can't like One Piece after watching 600+ anime? Really?

Feb 6, 2014 12:51 PM

Nov 2012
SolBlade said:
irrols said:
Toshiru said:
irrols said:

Are you implying that you can't like One Piece after watching 600+ anime? Really?

Well if he's implying that he's wrong *cough*Intro*cough*
Feb 6, 2014 12:57 PM

Feb 2010
SolBlade said:
irrols said:
Toshiru said:
irrols said:

My superb taste proves him wrong.

Fanboy I am, though.
Feb 6, 2014 1:09 PM

Nov 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
SolBlade said:
irrols said:
Toshiru said:
irrols said:

My superb taste proves him wrong.

Fanboy I am, though.
My superberer taste proves him even more wrong.
Feb 6, 2014 1:40 PM

Feb 2013
@Higashi&Turtle: you both are exceptions that prove the rule :D
Feb 6, 2014 5:06 PM
Jan 2014
Only if I can't possibly fathom how the show achieved that level of popularity, or if its fanbase worships it like it's GOD in animated form.

So basically lots of the really popular shounen.
Feb 6, 2014 5:30 PM
Jul 2012
superseiyan said:
This happens in all entertainment.

I call it the David Beckham syndrome. For those of you not familiar with him, during his playing time at some point he was such a celebrity and darling that it was often assumed he was one of the best player in the world. Many purists and fans thought he was overrated though. However, the backlash became so much that by the later years of his career, he was way underrated. His longevity, workrate, and other creative abilities that he brought to the table were ignored because of his celebrity and perceived overratedness.

The perfect anime example of this I suspect (this is pure speculation) might be Sword Art Online. Seems to have started very hyped, many say it’s overrated, but then I’m thinking it’s surely not AS BAD as many make it out to be.

Basically, both David Beckham/Sword Art Online were perhaps never 9-10/10 level, but then started being treated as 4-5/10 level when they’re really solid 7/10 levels.

SAO deserves it's hate because it's "good" part(the first half) sucks, it was a bunch of random side stories with loose links that didn't match the tension established by the first episode. On top of that whole series spreads bad values(real world sucks, get girls in virtual world because virtual world is better). Even as an action flick the show has more cheesy romance/harem than action and the action isn't even well animated(asuna thrusting her sword forward and random beams flashing. yeah that's like high speed thrusts for you).

Anyway on topic popularity can influence someone's mindset for the worst, when watching a show you really shouldn't raise/lower your expectations based on that, that is all
Feb 6, 2014 5:43 PM

Sep 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
RichardSherman said:
SeibaaHomu said:
Miraclezify said:

Nothing up there (9s and 10s) that I would call obscure. Just because he probably disliked one of your favorite animu doesn't mean he hates whatever is popular... At least do your rersearch before making any claims like that.
he is a cynic, not a hipster, though his anti-Urobuchi like stances and statements are among the most uncredible things he has said, like how he spent a while bitching about suisei being typical pretentious urabochi garage even though he didnt write anything past the script the first 2 episode and the final ep(aka he wrote the dialogue and not much else), hes got a ton of biases and its one of the reasons i really cant take his word for things anymore as he also does this for a ton of other things, hes just simply not a credible person and is way too inconsistent in his views alot of the time

but hes not a hipster who dislikes what ever is popular, draconis isnt either he just makes no sense
JizzyHitlerFeb 6, 2014 5:48 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 6, 2014 6:05 PM

Jun 2013
Tarextherex said:
SAO deserves it's hate because it's "good" part(the first half) sucks, it was a bunch of random side stories with loose links that didn't match the tension established by the first episode.

Because having a group of friends die right in front of you is so happy-go-lucky, especially if you feel guilty about it and promised one of them she'd definitely be alright. Besides, I expect there to be some episodes that set the mood, show other sides of the characters, show that the life there isn't completely depressive. If you cherry-pick only the dramatic parts out of a story, it is no longer a story. They spent several years there, obviously it wasn't life or death every day.

Tarextherex said:
On top of that whole series spreads bad values(real world sucks, get girls in virtual world because virtual world is better).

You're reaching. Stick to a good argument instead of listing random improvised arguments that you only thought of because you wanted to bash the show as much as possible.

Tarextherex said:
Even as an action flick the show has more cheesy romance/harem than action and the action isn't even well animated(asuna thrusting her sword forward and random beams flashing. yeah that's like high speed thrusts for you).

I don't even know what you're talking about here. You have to be trying to dislike something really hard to find such specific trivial things about the animation that annoy you.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Feb 6, 2014 7:49 PM

Apr 2013
SAO has nth more than a convenient plot and powerpoint fights
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 7, 2014 12:33 AM
Jul 2018
irrols said:
Aylaine said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the first one. X is better then Y, V has shit taste, those are all opinions. My post is an opinion, as is the post you made that I originally quoted. Also I'm not quite sure where you got that argument from; we're talking about anime here. Heh. As I previously stated: people will like what they like. They don't have 'shit taste' for liking those series, they have a preference.
Feb 7, 2014 1:35 AM

Mar 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
He has openly voiced his dislike on Madoka, Titan, SAO, Guilty Crown, Fate/Zero, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy, Mirai Nikki, Steins;Gate and probably a lot more I'm missing out on. I think that's more than a coincidence. Want to hear his opinion on Breaking Bad? It's obvious he hasn't seen the show but It's a real doozy nonetheless.

So why does he like those popular anime? Let me try to explain through logic that only makes sense to rori

TTGL is inspired by classic super mecha anime. Therefore it is what he would describe as 'the gold amongst the shit' in modern anime.

His high score for FMAB can be traced back to his high score for FMA 2003. He likely watched the former when he was new to anime like many others at the time. So because of his bias he actually decided to give Brotherhood the fair go it deserved

Evangelion? Classic example of babby's first anime. Great show for a psuedo intellectual such as himself to look down on people for not enjoying it.

It's sort of similar to how DraconisMarch likes Angel Beats and Clannad but criticises Spice and Wolf II for melodrama. He'll give a fair analysis for the shows he fondly looks back on but if it doesn't fit into his criteria he'll be dead set on despising the show. Even if he has to force himself into enjoying the show less.

But hey, his negative reviews are basically all just a collection of nonsensical rambling and blanket statements so it's not like he has to think up any real reasons why its bad. He'll just call anyone who thinks differently an idiot. He does't even have to explain why they're an idiot but point is that I'm stupid, he's not and his opinion is better than mine.

I still loved it in camrip form. Granted I definitely understood the movie a lot better after I saw it in the cinema.

But ultimately that doesn't really matter because rori hasn't seen it at all.
SeibaaHomuFeb 7, 2014 1:40 AM
Feb 7, 2014 2:58 AM

Dec 2009
irrols said:
I don't remember saying that everyone is wrong, why are you making things up? <...>
Anyway, i won't try to argue anymore since your list says <...>

Making up? You said yourself that everything you seen in popular and top anime is shit and people have bad taste.
Yeah, no more plausible arguments, so you became personal. Firstly, I never said I have good/best taste. Secondly, I am still watching and liking One Piece but did you see me running around and saying "its a great show, everyone has to watch it. And who didn't see it yet is..." ? Thirdly, what I watch and what I enjoy is my own business. I never posted here something like "you scored NN a X, so you taste is bad", don't get why you let yourself do so and even judge my preferences. Doing so doesn't make you look like an adult, so we have nothing to talk about.

NotJizzyHitler said:
but hes not a hipster who dislikes what ever is popular, draconis isnt either he just makes no sense

Well, if he is not then I don't see the reason why all his latest reviews are only on the most popular/well-known anime. They are pretty fun to read though - sometimes he has good points about what was bad in anime. Sometimes...
Feb 7, 2014 3:00 PM

Jan 2014
I would never hate a series because it's popular because then you're most likely missing out on something. I put off Steins;Gate for quite a while not because I hated how popular it was, and how much recognition it was receiving, but because I didn't want to start something so hyped that I expected too much of it. Gladly I was wrong, it certainly met expectations.

That said I always just exercise caution personally when it comes to booming seasonal anime, but I also feel descriptions can also be very misleading sometimes leading one to think something else entirely of the series before even watching it.
Feb 7, 2014 3:03 PM

Apr 2013
If a show is popular it automatically means it probably sucks.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 7, 2014 3:04 PM

Oct 2011
Emnay said:
If a show is popular it automatically means it probably sucks.

If you can't prove it, you are lying

-pralan
Feb 7, 2014 3:56 PM

Dec 2008
I don't think that's true, of course it's something common, let's put in an example Naruto, there are a lot of people who like it and other people dislike it without reading the manga or watch the anime, of course that's going to happen and always they're going to want prove that anime is bad or start to hate it just for this.

But for me I don't care about this, if the anime who I saw becomes or it's popular it's fine for me,I know it's going to be some people who hate it (that happens to me when I watched Lucky Star) but I respect that opinion, not all the anime fans are going to like the same things.
Feb 7, 2014 4:00 PM

Apr 2013
nah
Feb 7, 2014 5:57 PM
Oct 2013
I got a better question, do you hate a series because someone else told you to hate a series?

-Anonymous
Feb 7, 2014 7:48 PM

Jul 2012
It definitely ruins my expectations...
Feb 7, 2014 7:49 PM

Jun 2013
when i watched Attack on Titan, i dropped it on the 4th episode. not because it was bad but because the anime didnt keep me interested. Like it didnt keep me wanting to watch more if that makes sense. if you like a popular series then just enjoy it. don't let anyone tell you other wise.
Feb 7, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2012
Everyone likes pizza, but I don't because it's too popular. I don't like ice cream because too many stupid people eat it. Fat people give cheeseburgers a bad reputation so it must mean they are garbage.

Woah guys look at such a grimdark edgy hipster I am, going against the flow and sailing the Nile south.
Feb 7, 2014 10:46 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:

I get this

Nothing worse than finishing something and wondering why the hell it's such a big deal
Feb 7, 2014 10:52 PM

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:
Then don't have those expectations.
Feb 7, 2014 11:03 PM

Sep 2012
Truthfully, I hate One Piece because it's popular, but that will probably change once I decide to watch it. I just hate seeing people talk about it for some reason. It's probably really good, but I don't wanna put in the time.
Feb 7, 2014 11:05 PM
Jul 2013
Only Naruto
Feb 7, 2014 11:13 PM

Jan 2014
Reverb_Shock said:
Truthfully, I hate One Piece because it's popular, but that will probably change once I decide to watch it. I just hate seeing people talk about it for some reason. It's probably really good, but I don't wanna put in the time.

Well, I'm sorry.
Feb 7, 2014 11:19 PM

Sep 2013
No. For me, it's a ridiculous reason to not like a show.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 12 minutes ago

2 by Otakupervert890 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

71 by Jonas-K »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 10 hours ago

20 by Firemaster2018 »»
11 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

4 by MichaelJackson »»
19 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

58 by TsutanaiFuun »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.