Forum Settings
Forums

Do you hate a series, just because it's popular?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 5, 2014 6:28 AM

Jan 2014
Most of the time, I hate the exaggerated fanbase of some popular animes (because they compare animes too much...according to them, other animes are trash or whatever they may say). Then, that hate is pushed towards that said anime.
Feb 5, 2014 7:58 AM

Oct 2013
I don't hate the series, I hate the fanboys...

Ah, not really. I just don't give a fuck about that.
Feb 5, 2014 8:18 AM

Feb 2013
Litrydow said:
Yes, it's a simple logic: something becomes popular exactly because it is bad, because the masses have shit taste. So the more obscure and unliked a series is, then automatically the better it is.

pretty much what ths guy said.....that's why the best anmes for me are stuff like

-mars of destuction
-akikan
-seikan no qwaiser
-skelter heaven
-ikki tousen
Feb 5, 2014 8:20 AM

Apr 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
ButNotForMe said:
SeibaaHomu said:
PoeticJustice said:
I only hate stuff that is bad.
This pretty much. Although every time I talk about why I don't like Evangelion or Mirai Nikki I always get the 'hipster' name tag.

Either that or people trying to tell me that "It's not the sort of show I'd enjoy" as if I only like certain genres and the quality of the show doesn't really matter
Mirai Nikki anime is pretty bad
That it is.

Still on topic, I don't really get why people immediately latch on to every popular show and call it the worst thing ever when most of them are pretty well above average. If you think Sword Art Online is the worst thing ever just wait until you see Master of Martial Hearts and Psychic Wars

Although Mirai Nikki is the one exception and easily one of the worst things I've ever watched on the basis of it terribly written, morally abhorrent in all the wrong ways, packed with unnecessary angst and just plain unlikeable.

People hate overhyped and overrated shows, there is nothing with that if they prove it with reasons
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 5, 2014 8:57 AM
Jan 2014
I don't hate a series because it's popular, I only hate the fanboys who think that their anime is the best. I also hate an anime that's overrated when obviously it's bad, e.g. SAO (it's actually an ok anime but i'm sick of hearing "SAO is the best anime ever" all the time).

Also just because an anime is enjoyable and popular, it doesn't mean that it's good, facts =/= opinions, that's all.
Feb 5, 2014 9:03 AM

Jan 2014
highwinddv said:
I don't hate a series because it's popular, I only hate the fanboys who think that their anime is the best. I also hate an anime that's overrated when obviously it's bad, e.g. SAO (it's actually an ok anime but i'm sick of hearing "SAO is the best anime ever" all the time).

Also just because an anime is enjoyable and popular, it doesn't mean that it's good, facts =/= opinions, that's all.

The thing I'm hearing about SAO is that the first half is really good, but during the second half they try to put some romance into the series and the whole anime goes to shit. Apparently a second season is announced. Perhaps that one will be better?
Feb 5, 2014 9:15 AM
Jan 2014
Yhuuro said:
highwinddv said:

The thing I'm hearing about SAO is that the first half is really good, but during the second half they try to put some romance into the series and the whole anime goes to shit. Apparently a second season is announced. Perhaps that one will be better?

There was romance even in the first half, just that in the 2nd half it's like watching a different anime, introducing a new character is fine but in SAO it's like "1 heroine/arc", and it's not even SAO anymore even though it's the title of the show.
Feb 5, 2014 10:27 AM

Feb 2012
I'm guessing a series gets so much hype that some people get high expectations and start to hate it because it wasn't as good as they expected.

I don't hate a series just because it's popular.
popular series = more views = more people to talk about it with \(' v ')/
Feb 5, 2014 10:38 AM

Jan 2013
yes there are and they call themselves "smart" .
Feb 5, 2014 10:56 AM

Aug 2013
No I don't. Just because something is popular does not mean that it is bad. Conversely it does not mean that it is good either
Sup People and yes I am the physical manifestation of Shinji Ikari's Balls

And this what elite-sama says to incest
elite-sama said:
I'm against it because I don't have a sister. It's not fair.
Feb 5, 2014 11:28 AM

Jun 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:
most people here are hipsters who watch very few or no prime time anime

Why should I care whether an anime is currently airing, recently finished or finished long ago? It has no effect on its quality. Therefore it's stupid to expect people to mostly watch anime that came out the same year if they have several decades to choose from. Unless they think they've seen most of the good older shows.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Feb 5, 2014 11:41 AM

Nov 2010
sedmelluq said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
most people here are hipsters who watch very few or no prime time anime

Why should I care whether an anime is currently airing, recently finished or finished long ago? It has no effect on its quality. Therefore it's stupid to expect people to mostly watch anime that came out the same year if they have several decades to choose from. Unless they think they've seen most of the good older shows.
Prime time anime =/= currently airing anime. It's anime that aired in prime time, the timeslots that usually get the most ratings. In Japan that's where the most popular anime are. He's basically saying the anime that are popular on here are really not not popular in Japan compared to those prime time anime.
Feb 5, 2014 11:44 AM

Oct 2013
I don't have any time to hate on anime, I can barely manage to hate everything in life. I hate my life, though.
Feb 5, 2014 11:46 AM

Sep 2011
i think the idea of hating a anime because of its popularity is hilarious since anime in and of itself is a niche thing

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 5, 2014 12:46 PM

Nov 2013
Nope . I dislike it when fanboys of an anime that HAPPENS to be popular tries to force me to watch it.
Feb 5, 2014 1:16 PM

Feb 2013
As you can see from my list nope. I like things just because I enjoy them, and I start with popular anime and work my way outward to different things. I agree some popular anime are overhyped but I think they're also overbashed on the other end. Like Naruto, its not good, but its not THAT bad.
This world is made of...

Love and Peace! (><)-V
Feb 5, 2014 1:21 PM

Aug 2013
at times I surrender at the dark side...but not for all anime and manga
Feb 5, 2014 2:40 PM

Jan 2014
I don't really care how popular or unpopular an anime series is. Just because it's over rated doesn't make it bad, just means the masses got wind of it.

I loved Inuyasha. It was one of my first. I knew it was over hyped, the dubbing sucked but the series wasn't terrible, just rough.

On the other hand my favorite anime is barely known, yet very good (to me at least) I like anime on both sides of the popularity void.
Darkness beyond blackest pitch
Deeper than the deepest night
Lord as vast as the largest ocean
Colder than the coldest ice
King of Darkness who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee.
I stand ready to bear the strength you give me.
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed
By the power you and I possess!
GIGA SLAVE!"
Feb 5, 2014 4:18 PM

Jul 2013
Probably doesn't count, but My Little Pony.

Hate when people call themselves a "bronie"
Feb 5, 2014 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
yes.
Feb 5, 2014 4:56 PM

Jan 2014
I don't hate any anime, and less for a reason like that, is irrational. And the fanboys only defends what they believe..
Feb 5, 2014 5:05 PM
Jul 2012
Sometimes an anime just gets talked about so much I don't want to hear anymore.

Cough cough Attack on Titan.
I like pie.
Feb 5, 2014 10:04 PM

Sep 2011
Not that I'm going to hate them but there are some that I'll never understand why it's popular. For instance, Shingeki No Kyojin.

Feb 5, 2014 10:29 PM

Aug 2011
Yes. SAO is something.I don't even know why this shit is so popular everything about it is so overly average.
And Kirito can go crawl in a hole and die for all I care.
Feb 5, 2014 10:35 PM

Oct 2013
Tennouji_ said:
Not that I'm going to hate them but there are some that I'll never understand why it's popular. For instance, Shingeki No Kyojin.

Couldn't resist to say attack on titan eh? If u had said sword art online, I could understand, but shingeki? But hey, we all have different taste and opinion. But I understand with no fanservice or moe bullshit I can see why u don't like it.
Feb 5, 2014 10:35 PM

Oct 2012
I don't hate an anime just because of it's popularity. I like what I like, and that's really it. I have my own bias.

Some animes are popular because they are generally good, and I do tend to pay attention towards them more than the lesser known ones, unless it strikes my own preference (sadly).

But, I do hate how much credit a die hard fan gives it without specific evidence or comparison.
Feb 5, 2014 10:36 PM

Dec 2011
I tag them as over-rated or under-rated, but everything is based on my opinion.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2014 10:41 PM

Oct 2013
xJapaliicious said:

SO what about average anime that are not too popular or not underrated. what do you call those anime? The just right spot? Right in the middle? The sweet spot?
Feb 5, 2014 10:43 PM

Dec 2011
keragamming said:
xJapaliicious said:

SO what about average anime that are not too popular or not underrated. what do you call those anime? The just right spot? Right in the middle? The sweet spot?
I don't tag them, lol. OR and UR are tags based on the fanbase, not on the anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2014 11:06 PM
Oct 2010
Sashime or w/e that dude's name is, is the only person I've actively seen like that here.
Feb 6, 2014 12:10 AM

Feb 2010
no that would be stupid i have reasons

i like one piece code geass season 1 was good 2nd season was bad, death note L should have been the main character, naurto iv state this over a thousand times 1. fights are slow i remember specific scenes where they are literally just staring at each other, i can't stand half the casts personality or some of there choices. sword its not that bad its not that good ether. it feels rushed. attack on titan no opinion because iv only seen episode 1 i'm just not interested in it right now ill probably pick it up later right now i don't have that kinda time.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 6, 2014 12:49 AM

Dec 2012
Oneeyedwolf said:
When there's a really popular anime out their, most time when I hear people hating on a series, they always say something like " This anime doesn't deserve so much praise it's getting" or this " This anime is ok, but it's too popular and for that I hate it, even though it is a ok series". When I see these comments I just think people are upset that the anime they like is not as popular as this anime.

The most annoying thing about the what's being discussed here is that it has 2 sides: one depicted in your first quote, and the other in the second. Some series merely have elements that appeal to the majority or mainstream - not unlike Hollywood blockbusters, superhero films, romcoms etc. That doesn't mean, in essence, they are automatically praise-worthy. Not when you consider things like characterisation, development, narrative consistency, plot holes etc. In my personal subjective opinion SnK is one of those anime (anyone and everyone is quite free to feel otherwise, no need to tell me about it) because it didn't live up to my expectations when I saw its rating early on. This is why I think that while SnK is not well developed in many areas that I consider to be important, it still has a mainstream/shounen appeal for which it's so popular. So for people who don't like something, it's a bit frustrating/exasperating to see the masses singing praises (as they are perfectly entitled to do) of something they see nothing good about.

On the other hand, there are people who simply choose to hold a grudge against popularity itself and despise, not just anime but literally anything whatsoever, anything liked by more than 5 people (ok, perhaps I exaggerate). That, to me, is not only irrational, but also invalidates other peoples perfectly acceptable negative criticisms (note: not hate) on such popular series. And thus, creating the confusion between people who have valid reasons to dislike a particular show with those who just like to hate popular things.

So basically, the 2 types should not be lumped together.
fullmetalbenderFeb 6, 2014 12:58 AM
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 6, 2014 12:52 AM

Nov 2013
Who cares if it's popular or not? If it's good, it's good.
Feb 6, 2014 12:54 AM

Feb 2010
Kallifer said:
Who cares if it's popular or not? If it's good, it's good.
and if its bad its bad its all a mater of perspective
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 6, 2014 1:27 AM

Jan 2014
It makes me wonder why people become hater in the first place?
Feb 6, 2014 4:16 AM

Feb 2013
What if something called Marketing existed? What if it was able to turn any shit into popular stuff? What if the most vulnerable people to marketing were the 15-18yo ? Oh wait, i can't point this out since 90% MAL community is 15-18 yo. My my, i'll get raged at!

AstronomyDomine said:
More popularity = more people watching it = more fans being cultivated
This thread is hilarious.

By the way, do you all hate Justin Bieber just because he's popular?
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Feb 6, 2014 5:05 AM
Jun 2012
jessifer said:
Sometimes an anime just gets talked about so much I don't want to hear anymore.

Cough cough Attack on Titan.

Agreed. When Attack on Titan was hyped, almost half of the so called Otakus and including my own friends were talking about it. Hell, even on the Facebook Anime Fan pages that i like are constantly posting AoT. I don't even know how i managed to survive the SAO hype, but i ended up watching it anyway.

There's not much we can really do anyway. If people love a series, they will post the hell out of it on Facebook, Twitter, practically anywhere on the Internet.
Feb 6, 2014 5:10 AM
Nov 2008
irrols said:

Do you hate your mom just because she's popular?
Feb 6, 2014 5:15 AM
Jun 2012
Heredity said:
irrols said:

Do we hate everything that's popular?
Feb 6, 2014 5:18 AM

Dec 2009
Heredity said:

No need to become personal, you know? That was a simple question about popular singer who has alot of haters (for different reasons). Or you got offended that someone mentioned Bieber?

FinalSynFrey said:
There's not much we can really do anyway. If people love a series, they will post the hell out of it on Facebook, Twitter, practically anywhere on the Internet.

True, at that point I guess all you can do is try to keep away from discussion boards (to avoid spoilers) or ignore all those blah-blah and watch the series later when its way less popular (or when its already finished and people found new topic to talk about).

Answering the thread question:
I never hate something because its popular - there are always reasons for things to become well-known. I simply don't like when people non-stop trying to force me into watching that popular stuff.
Feb 6, 2014 5:25 AM
Jun 2012
Toshiru said:
Heredity said:

No need to become personal, you know? That was a simple question about popular singer who has alot of haters (for different reasons). Or you got offended that someone mentioned Bieber?

FinalSynFrey said:

True, at that point I guess all you can do is try to keep away from discussion boards (to avoid spoilers) or ignore all those blah-blah and watch the series later when its way less popular (or when its already finished and people found new topic to talk about).

That's what i usually do with these hyped Anime. After the hype dies down, i will start watching it. I believe SAO ended around December of 2012 and i decided to watch it around early March of 2013. I usually never visit the discussion boards of an anime that i am currently watching. Too bad, I can't get away from all of them since I practically see it a lot on Facebook anyway. As much as i want to "Unlike" the fan pages, i rather not.
Feb 6, 2014 5:27 AM
Nov 2008
Toshiru said:
Heredity said:

:(
Feb 6, 2014 5:28 AM

Feb 2013
Heredity said:
irrols said:

Lol seems i hit the right spot here.

FinalSynFrey said:
Do we hate everything that's popular?
If you read some books and had a decent education, i'd say: yes, in most cases.
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Feb 6, 2014 5:39 AM
Nov 2008
irrols said:
Lol seems i hit the right spot here.

Justin Bieber is my weak spot. Please stop, or else I'll prep more ur mom jokes.
Feb 6, 2014 5:42 AM
Mar 2012
This happens in all entertainment.

I call it the David Beckham syndrome. For those of you not familiar with him, during his playing time at some point he was such a celebrity and darling that it was often assumed he was one of the best player in the world. Many purists and fans thought he was overrated though. However, the backlash became so much that by the later years of his career, he was way underrated. His longevity, workrate, and other creative abilities that he brought to the table were ignored because of his celebrity and perceived overratedness.

The perfect anime example of this I suspect (this is pure speculation) might be Sword Art Online. Seems to have started very hyped, many say it’s overrated, but then I’m thinking it’s surely not AS BAD as many make it out to be.

Basically, both David Beckham/Sword Art Online were perhaps never 9-10/10 level, but then started being treated as 4-5/10 level when they’re really solid 7/10 levels.
Feb 6, 2014 5:45 AM

Feb 2013
A lot of people do this, I just watch what I think will be enjoyable.

If a lot of people like it, there is probably a reason....
Feb 6, 2014 5:47 AM

Aug 2013
unmemorable_hero said:

But, apparently a majority of people have "shit taste." :I
Feb 6, 2014 5:54 AM

Sep 2011
when a underground band changes their sound, theyre a ambitious band that reinvent themselves

when a famous band changes their sound, they are sell out fucks

logic

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 6, 2014 5:55 AM

Feb 2013
Dubai said:
unmemorable_hero said:

But, apparently a majority of people have "shit taste." :I
Eh....no actual response...
Feb 6, 2014 6:10 AM

Apr 2013
SnK anime is miles ahead of SAO Anime

fact
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 4 hours ago

12 by IKKIsama »»
1 minute ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

9 by IpreferEcchi »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 19 minutes ago

5 by IpreferEcchi »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

75 by Catalano »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

14 by Rairuchela »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.