Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 4, 2014 7:25 PM

Jul 2008
xchee said:
Where are you guys reading the translated LN, I want in too T___T (pm please?)

They read it raw.
Because yeah it's actually possible to read something in Japanese.
Feb 4, 2014 7:28 PM

Jul 2013
hahaha finally he is getting stronger no longer a weakling hahahah
Feb 4, 2014 7:57 PM

Jul 2012
I can feel that this is rushed without even reading the LN. I really do enjoy the ideas behind the story itself though.

Bakatora sure powered up significantly.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Feb 4, 2014 8:00 PM

Nov 2012
NIce episode, Haruto getting stronger, that's good.
Poor old man, I guess nobody can be trusted on this series.
Feb 4, 2014 8:05 PM
Jul 2018
Finally the cats out of the bag for Natsume.
Feb 4, 2014 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
Natsume's true identity finally revealed.

Harutora was so badass in this episode.
Feb 4, 2014 8:31 PM

Jan 2013
WOW. That was a good ep.
Harutora FINALLY did something!!! yay
Poor nastume :(
Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.- Tifa lockhart
Which is it? A memory or us? -Tifa lockhart
Feb 4, 2014 8:33 PM

Dec 2013
Kurogashi said:
guess it's just me but the bad ass harutora wasnt very bad ass at all. it felt like an ass pull. maybe if he wiped away that seal thing natsume gave him which unlocked his true potential, i wouldve been sold, but... eh... focusing, hokay.. if only i can focus a second and suddenly become bill gates.
I think swordstriker21 already mentioned this but many LN readers think the anime tries to make Harutora and even Kon look pathetic. Harutora wasn't so weak in the prior episodes, its just not like he suddenly became badass and imho anime relies too much on friendship/nakama power.
After that D vs Ohtomo battle, Harutora was actually MUCH MORE interested in onmyoudo. He later studied on various spells and that Ohtomo's OP spell. It has been mentioned 3 times in the anime that he had a quite large spiritual power but he couldn't control his powers before. In this episode, his spiritual powers were of the same level but he can now control them in a better way and cast some high level spells. Harutora is a hardworking student but the anime didn't focused much on that part and slightly changed a few things. That said, I think the episode itself wasn't that bad but it could have been adapted much better because this was the only 1 vs 1 episode where Harutora displayed his power which were not dominant before. There is still 1 more fight but we will see how it goes on later.

Feb 4, 2014 8:43 PM

Jan 2014
Harutora was absolutely BADASS, there is no other word to describe him. Not only did he get some awesome powers, but his dominance over them was splendid, with equally high level of intellect to use them properly. FANTASTIC.

On the other hand, shit got VERY real. Natsume's gender got discovered and well seemingly everybody bar Kyouko who got hurt badly there, and I wonder to who she promised anything, anyway things are gonna go very awkward with those 2 girls.

Also what the fuck happened within the investigators? So the chief who is Kyouko's father is traitorous or acting on his own accord, and apprently Amami retired (I doubt he got killed). Anyway this does not look any good at all.
Feb 4, 2014 8:46 PM

Jan 2008
It was only a matter of time before Natsume's secret was revealed to everyone out of the loop.

And it's about time Harutora stopped getting thrown around like a ragdoll, and started being a badass. Hope we see more of this side of him.

Glad that sword freak is gone.

I wonder what happened to Director Amami at the end?
Edit: They didn't really reveal anything other than a burnt up fan, suggesting he's either dead or escaped.
Estoy_GordoFeb 4, 2014 8:50 PM
Feb 4, 2014 8:51 PM

Oct 2013
Decent episode, I don't think I can describe how good it was seeing Harutora going badass! That's it, I love it when main character takes the spotlight and the rest of the characters just look at him. Kon was awesome in this episode! I liked it how Harutora picked up Kon when she was exhausted after the fight...it was cute :3

Regarding the LN and this episode comparisons, I think I will wait till Lygo translate Volume 7 and see how much awesomeness I missed but I think this episode was quite good in itself and this may be the first episode I enjoyed the whole 24 minutes.

Kon mimicking Harutora ( or maybe I should say Kagami's signature spell) was so funny! xD
Feb 4, 2014 8:55 PM

Oct 2013
4kicks said:
They didn't really reveal anything other than a burnt up fan, suggesting he's either dead or escaped.
Miyachi is the strongest Divine General in TR, Takiko gave Amami a decent fight and Genji is the head of Onmyo Agency who seems to be working in the Syndicate along with the Souma clan. Even Takiko says "Sorry" when she picks up the burnt fan, I think these reasons should be enough for making us viewers believe that something bad has happened to Amami. I can't wait to see how Ohtomo reacts to this, if Amami dies then I hope Ohtomo going all badass and taking up the fight on Syndicate and Souma clan all alone.
Feb 4, 2014 8:59 PM

Apr 2013
meh I thought the writing was pretty bad in this episode.. action was o-k.. felt rushed and all over the place with little to no explanations.

Harutora's power-up felt so random and asspulled, lmao.. and isn't that blonde tsundere suppose to be a divine general (the seal was taken off)? she looked so weak it was pathetic. They also don't even show us how they killed the old dude and his assistant at the end.. Lame.
KneelBeforeMeFeb 4, 2014 9:20 PM
Feb 4, 2014 9:14 PM

Sep 2011
Damn, it took this long for harutora to acctually do something not just standing around & be an idiot! I'm not 100% sure how he got the power & beat him.....awww who cares.

3.5/5
Feb 4, 2014 9:19 PM

Dec 2013
For all those angry LN readers...

Stop losing hope already on the anime ffs.

And for those who think Harutora going BA was asspull, see the posts on page 3 for explanations.
Gamer6Feb 4, 2014 10:01 PM

Feb 4, 2014 9:22 PM

Apr 2013
Hishamaru said:

And for those who think Harutora going BA was asspull, see the posts on page 3 for explanations.
and your point is..? for an anime only viewer it remains an asspull because it was poorly executed and completely random.
Feb 4, 2014 9:22 PM

Aug 2012
Adaptation was meh. Nothing went right in my perspective in this episode. Nevertheless, a decent episode; saved by the source material I must say. But it's still nice to see it animated despite my multiple facepalms during the episode. I hope the adaptation gets better from here on. *cross fingers*
julyanFeb 4, 2014 9:33 PM
Feb 4, 2014 9:24 PM

Dec 2013
Sourire said:
Hishamaru said:

and your point is..? for an anime only viewer it remains an asspull because it was poorly executed and completely random.

I know but if you're still interested in what actually happened then you can read it in the previous post. That said, the anime actually missed some points so if its helpful for anime-only viewers its all good to go.
Gamer6Feb 4, 2014 10:00 PM

Feb 4, 2014 9:54 PM

Apr 2013
Where the fuck was Reiji? If his duty was to protect them, why would he vanish when his familiar went on a rampage for no reason? Also, why did his familiar go on a rampage for no reason? I rarely have trouble understanding the plots of shows, but I've never been able to keep all of these characters and their associations straight. The writers seem to believe that all you need to do to make characters memorable is to mention them one time. I never know what's happening in this show. At least the action was entertaining in this episode.
Feb 4, 2014 10:00 PM

Sep 2013
Shaver went nuts, Natsume's secret is out (finally!), and the director was ______
Feb 4, 2014 10:04 PM

Feb 2013
This episode was so good. FINALLY Harutora doing something useful, and my speculation is that Harutora is the actual Yakou reincarnation, I mean look how powerful he was this episode haha.

I didn't really understand what was going on in the office, though, with the red-haired girl etc. anyways...
Feb 4, 2014 10:12 PM

Dec 2008
i have no idea what i just watched. for the most part i was able to follow this show for the first 16 episodes, but nothing in this episode made any sense to me.
Feb 4, 2014 10:25 PM

Jul 2012
AsherFischell said:
Where the fuck was Reiji? If his duty was to protect them, why would he vanish when his familiar went on a rampage for no reason? Also, why did his familiar go on a rampage for no reason? I rarely have trouble understanding the plots of shows, but I've never been able to keep all of these characters and their associations straight. The writers seem to believe that all you need to do to make characters memorable is to mention them one time. I never know what's happening in this show. At least the action was entertaining in this episode.

This is considered LN spoilers so I'll tag them accordingly but I'll answer most of you queries here. And no it's the 8bit staff that is ruining the writing and not Asano Kohei (Novel author who also wrote Black Blood Brothers BTW). It's not that the source material is bad. It's the adaptation that's bad.

Feb 4, 2014 10:35 PM

Oct 2013
swordstriker21, any chances of that scene being adapted in next episode as you and Hishamaru say in your posts?
Feb 4, 2014 10:47 PM

Jul 2012
Nuvi said:
swordstriker21, any chances of that scene being adapted in next episode as you and Hishamaru say in your posts?

I honestly don't know. I don't know what 8bit is smoking right now but it must be pretty bad judging w/ how ridiculously contrived this weeks episode was. It might be that they are trying to avoid spoiling the viewers by bringing "him" out here but then it just doesn't explain Reiji missing from the commotion. It makes everything feel disjointed. I'm not even expecting the explanation regarding what exactly the imperial pall bearers are w/c was supposed to be a scene in the last ep. W/c is actually major foreshadowing. W/c I have a sneaking suspicion 8bit is trying to avoid. But honestly it's backfiring on the show right now. They didn't even show how Harutora was studying/training like crazy after the Douman fight in order to master spells like that of Ohtomo and learn battle tactics (He was learning really fast. Enough to impress/scare Natsume) w/c would have, in turn, made this epsiodes bad assery seem less of an asspull by a very fair margin.

There were lot's of modified/cut scenes all through out this adaptations run. But this ep tops it.
Feb 4, 2014 10:59 PM

Oct 2013
So it's came to that point now. I agree with many LN fans saying this turned out to be mediocre adaptation from a nice source material. I always wonder what would have happened if White Fox, PA Works or maybe even JC STAFF was the studio behind the anime instead of this amateur studio 8-bit. (seriously should keep themselves with anime like Infinite Stratos and leave the awesome LN for better studios)
Those other studios could have handled the major foreshadowing of events much better than the lazy 8-bit. Tokyo Ravens is a info-dump heavy series which seriously deserved a better studio.
I bet Asano Kohei would be depressed because of so many events getting butchered up in the anime. Why even animate 9 volumes anyway?
Feb 4, 2014 11:13 PM

Jul 2012
Nuvi said:
Why even animate 9 volumes anyway?

To show Harutoras epic growth? No that can't be it considering how mediocre they made him in the adaptation while in truth he really wasn't so bad. I mean it was all very new to him. The chants and mantras, the shikigami jargon, the whole onmyouji society mindset... everything. He made it through all that through sheer hard work and what they highlighted was him being Baka-Tora.

I mean yeah he couldn't keep up w/ the studies since he had to learn things from virtually scratch and joined up in the middle of the semester. But he still passed his tests. He is a little academically dumb cuz he was a complete amateur expected to keep up w/ kids who had been receiving training ever since they were little. But his instinct was commendable. And his spiritual power was MONSTROUS to the point of being broken. All of his previous fights were supposed to show us that. But they opted to show his pathetic side instead. It's confounding.
swordstriker21Feb 4, 2014 11:19 PM
Feb 4, 2014 11:32 PM

Mar 2010
Sourire said:
meh I thought the writing was pretty bad in this episode.. action was o-k.. felt rushed and all over the place with little to no explanations.

Harutora's power-up felt so random and asspulled, lmao.. and isn't that blonde tsundere suppose to be a divine general (the seal was taken off)? she looked so weak it was pathetic. They also don't even show us how they killed the old dude and his assistant at the end.. Lame.

I will said it again. Everything he did this episode came from others. How do think he performed Ohtomo spell back in ep 15? By watching Ohtomo and researching the spell on his own. We don't need to see that, it's common sense. Everything else were basic 5 elements, like what he used against the Nue. All Harutora focusing in his contract did was allow him to fix his control use magic effectively, because that's where source of it was coming from. The episode was adequate in showing that.

There nothing amazing about using spells property and smartly.

He's still not anything near the big dogs like Ohtomo or Amami.
Iron_MawFeb 4, 2014 11:41 PM
Feb 4, 2014 11:39 PM

Oct 2013
@swordstriker21
I think you're getting me wrong here about the 9 volumes getting adapted. My point is it's quite hard to fit all the content of 9 volumes in just 24 episode limit maybe they could have animated Volume 6 and 7 in 3 and 4 episodes respectively making this a 26 episode series. ( I decided to read the spoilers on LN discussion threads to see what happens since I got spoiled in the episode discussion threads )
On the other hand, volume 9 ends in a good way so maybe they were trying to bring out a better ending to this show because I don't see any previous volumes being better for the ending. Maybe if this was 1-cour 5 volumes could have been adapted but it won't look good at all.

Yeah I agree the anime tries to make him look weak in the prior episodes and this might be the reason why everyone thinks Harutora going badass is some asspull... I'll keep my expectations low for now and maybe jugde the anime only after completly watching it.
NuviFeb 4, 2014 11:42 PM
Feb 4, 2014 11:41 PM

Jul 2012
Jagd84 said:
I will said it again. Everything he did this episode came from others. How do think he performed Ohtomo spell back in ep 15? By watching Ohtomo and researching the spell on his own. We don't need to see that, it's common sense. Everything else were basic 5 elements, like what he used against the Nue. All Harutora focusing in his contract did was allow him to fix his control use magic effectively, because that's where source of it was coming from.

There nothing amazing about using spells property.

He's still not anything near the big dogs like Ohtomo or Amami.

We can easily accept that and see the logical progression. But some people really just need things to be spelled out for them a little bit more clearly (And by clearly I mean a bit more blatantly). Showing the Tora training scene would have helped alleviate all of these opinions but sadly it wasn't included. And some need that much of a hint in order for them not to be this reluctant to accept Toras performance this ep regardless of the underlying in-series logic.
swordstriker21Feb 4, 2014 11:45 PM
Feb 4, 2014 11:46 PM

Aug 2013
Omg its all building up now :D:D natsumes identity reveled :P cant wait til next ep
Feb 5, 2014 12:05 AM

Mar 2010
It was a rather nice fight but it still felt like an asspull to me that have not read the novel. As I read through the comments here I have decided that I will read the light novel, so i'm off to do that... after I get some more sleep.

3.5/5
Feb 5, 2014 12:19 AM

Aug 2013
this ep was so disappointing and confusing
Feb 5, 2014 12:20 AM

Nov 2013
Could someone explain what happened to daizen amami at the end from the light novel?
Anime gave me more life lessons than school
Feb 5, 2014 12:30 AM

Jul 2013
Episode was good and all but the directing in this felt off for some reason like some scenes were slow pace and some weren't executed right. Well the battle scenes were satisfying and Horatora steps up his abilities in this episode, and defeated that Shaver guy.

Now Natsume reveals her gender appearance, but Kyoko was no happy about this.

Feb 5, 2014 12:34 AM

Feb 2012
This was a confusing episode... I mean the fight and all that was cool, but I'm starting to lose track of the plot and what exactly is going on.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Feb 5, 2014 12:48 AM

Jul 2013
I guess they blew the budget on Otomo vs D and Amami vs Souma. Regardless of the confusing events, everything is very choppy (both animation and directing). It almost feels like the animators are just lazy to animate some parts.

Shaver's actions was particularly baffling. One moment he was intent on hurting Natsume to the verge of death, the next he was poking (or more like tickling) her. He looked more like a creep trying to rape Natsume instead of killing her. The one when he was walking slowly towards Natsume while giving Harutora all the time in the world to cast a ridiculously long spell was especially baffling.

And wtf Suzuka, aren't you suppose to be one of the divine generals?
Feb 5, 2014 2:13 AM

May 2012
RenAshdoll said:
are you f**cking kidding me?if i am right,they just butchered the Kakugyouki scene with reiji and

Hehe!! Agree! They indeed remove some important scene especially in Harutora's part.

And about the Reiji and Kakugyouki's scene:

Also just got a little sad that they make Kyouko realizing Natsume is not the one she made promise in a very confused and rapid state. I hope they make it more clear.

And also Harutora's scene, having to see like that and using power in a very calm and smarty way is not the only thing he did. Hehe, hope in the near episodes, they give it some more time to clear it up and dedicate a more decent and clear scene for him. He's the MC, dude~
It's not a matter of talent. It's a matter of will
Feb 5, 2014 2:17 AM

May 2012
Hishamaru said:
Barion-Zara said:

Couldn't understand what happened at the end either. What's with Amami's burned fan? Something happened to him O_o? And a few other mind fucks I hope to be explained.

Yeah, in a more tortured and very cruel way:

Feb 5, 2014 2:20 AM

May 2012
RenAshdoll said:
Barion-Zara said:
@RenAshdoll Which volume and chapter plz?
Volume 7 summary

Haha!! Yeah, I hate how they reduced Harutora's awesomeness here. Hope they didn't do that to the next episodes to come or I will definitely hang myself up. XD
Feb 5, 2014 2:21 AM

May 2010
Finally, finally this got interesting! This series started so so good but it has gotten boring over the course of time, but not anymore (hopefully). Harutara was using his head, thankfully it was not a nakama fight. Poor Kyoko, must've been a shock for her...
Feb 5, 2014 2:23 AM

May 2012
RenAshdoll said:
Hishamaru said:
Barion-Zara said:

Couldn't understand what happened at the end either. What's with Amami's burned fan? Something happened to him O_o? And a few other mind fucks I hope to be explained.

yup,that one too.After seeing the Vol7 adaption,i think i have no hopes left for Vol8&9

Nope, actually there are still hope.It seems that they are trying to reduced scenes from the previous volumes in order to dedicate more scenes and episode for the next volumes. It can also be predicted that the Volume 9 will be consist of 4 episodes which might result to a good and satisfied ending.
Feb 5, 2014 2:24 AM

Sep 2011
Spoiler city in this thread, my god. Looks like Amami got his butt wooped/killed/forced to retire + other stuff seeing as how his fan is burnt.
Feb 5, 2014 2:25 AM

May 2012
AnimeFan500 said:
Oops her secret is out. Was the promise really from Natsume or was it Harutora???

It is quite obvious who she made promise to, since the first few episodes. -_-
Feb 5, 2014 2:32 AM

May 2012
Kougeru said:
Really did not like not Harutora became super BA all the sudden, despite the explanations. He struggled with his studies and IIRC had rather poor grades so I don't see how he could've memorized such long mantras. What really upset me though was the very end with our FanMan. That was just not cool at all. Not.at.all. I hate betrayal more than anything.

Don't make it sound like Harutora is a very stupid person. How do you think he was able to pass the entrance examination? how do you think he was able to graduate into the 2nd year? He was not dedicated and focus on this thing. You can't blame him, he doesn't even want to live a path of the omnyouji until Hokuto's death waking him up. But, after he saw D and Ohtomo's battle, he started taking an interest in it and do various of studies. (Which didn't show in the anime)
Feb 5, 2014 2:34 AM

Mar 2010
jiraiya_sensei said:

Shaver's actions was particularly baffling. One moment he was intent on hurting Natsume to the verge of death, the next he was poking (or more like tickling) her. He looked more like a creep trying to rape Natsume instead of killing her. The one when he was walking slowly towards Natsume while giving Harutora all the time in the world to cast a ridiculously long spell was especially baffling.

Nothing baffling about Shaver. He was after Hokuto because he wanted to fight it, he doesn't care about Natsume herself. He's just willingly to torture her if it would force her to bring it out. If he had killed her then no Hokuto.

And wtf Suzuka, aren't you suppose to be one of the divine generals?

1.) She is, but Suzuka is the weakest of the DG, more a reseracher than a fighter.
2.) She was resealed, but the anime left that out.
Feb 5, 2014 2:39 AM

Jul 2013
Jagd84 said:

Nothing baffling about Shaver. He was after Hokuto because he wanted to fight it, he doesn't care about Natsume herself. He's just willingly to torture her if it would force her to bring it out. If he had killed her then no Hokuto.

Maybe it's the animation but it sure doesn't look like he was torturing Natsume.. unless ripping her clothes and poking her (marvelous) tits count as torturing lol..
Feb 5, 2014 2:41 AM

May 2012
Bungderp-no-Pico said:
I've been wondering about this for a while now, where can I find the LN summaries?

You can read it here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=104592

Only, if you are ready enough to read all the 57 pages of Discussion.

But the LN original translator which is Baka Tsuki are also continuing to translate it. ALthough, they are still in Volume 4 which is fairly left behind. Can't be help though. It is already hard to translate Japanese if your not a japanese at all.

Here is the link: https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Tokyo_Ravens
Feb 5, 2014 2:54 AM

Dec 2013
jiraiya_sensei said:
Jagd84 said:

Maybe it's the animation but it sure doesn't look like he was torturing Natsume.. unless ripping her clothes and poking her (marvelous) tits count as torturing lol..
Eh, I don't see what you're implying here. he was obviously calling out for hokuto ( that part where he kept saying "dragon") and I'm sure he was threatening her to call out hokuto hence the scene where he told her that he would cut her if she doesn't summons Hokuto. He knew it that if he killed natsume hokuto won't be summoned. he didn't intended to torture her in the first place, he just wanted a good fight after getting affected by Doman's tool/spiritual disaster.

Feb 5, 2014 2:56 AM

May 2012
Nuvi said:

There is still hope. They might show it as a few short flashback
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Tokyo Ravens community still alive? Any news on the new LN volume 17?

Gilgamesh45 - Mar 26, 2022

24 by XrIoUs »»
Mar 24, 4:18 AM

» Rest in peace Maon Kurosaki

Hot_Green_Tea - Mar 3, 2023

2 by smallwitchy »»
Nov 1, 2023 11:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ravens Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2014

372 by DemonLordKenzaki »»
Sep 16, 2023 11:43 PM

» Tokyo ravens really end?

Patolas - Aug 6, 2017

16 by Alexioos95 »»
Jun 10, 2023 8:12 AM

» How to see the rest of the story?

MrBones2002 - Jun 11, 2021

5 by Biribiri10 »»
Nov 7, 2022 11:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.