K-ON!
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 19, 2009 1:55 PM
Jan 2009
turkeymeister said:
zharth said:
I'm kind of surprised at its popularity, too, but I watch it for one simple reason:

girls + guitars

Very relevant to my interests.

There's no sex, and there sure as hell is no music.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Seconded.
May 21, 2009 4:47 AM

Apr 2009
+1

especially in episode 7
stupid episode.
where is the fusking music ? repetitions ?
wtf ?
moe sh*t
May 21, 2009 4:56 PM

May 2009
RepeatDisc said:
I started watching it because it involved a rock band.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that it's less and less actually about characters playing music, and more about girls who play music and magically get good without any practice.

I could always re-watch Beck though.

same. i've stuck with it until episode six, hoping that it'd pick up and that i'd end up enjoying. but... you know. plus that whole performance was such a let down.

looks like i'll be re-watching beck as well. it had it's faults, but at least it delivered what i expected from it -- something that, you know, told a story about creating a band, not girls who seem to be able to play without any practice whatsoever.
May 21, 2009 4:58 PM

Apr 2007
wow did you guys really fucking pick up a KyoAni show for the music
are you fucking serious
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2009 5:06 PM
Nov 2008
Thank god there was Lucky Star which made me set my hype for K-on ridiculously low...
May 21, 2009 8:42 PM

Dec 2007
Because this like the first Slice of Life that doesn't bore me. It makes me Giggle : D
May 21, 2009 11:19 PM

May 2008
The reason i like this show is because its hilarious, not mch into the storyline or the animation, but its seriously funny

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 22, 2009 12:23 AM
Jan 2009
Neverender said:
wow did you guys really fucking pick up a KyoAni show for the music
are you fucking serious

You assume I know about anime companies and follow big names and stuff. I look at a show, I look at the synopsis, and that's about it.
May 22, 2009 4:57 AM

Apr 2009
Wah, thread went quiet far ^__^'

Imho after 7 episodes - it's much less about music than I expected. Or rather hoped.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
May 28, 2009 8:25 AM

Aug 2008
Alexstratz said:
V3gas said:
I watched it because I saw this and it looked so insanely cute.

That made me lol. :)

Haha. You're welcome.

I don't really care about the fact that they get miraculously better at playing, as long as it makes me smile. And it does.

If you're watching K-ON! for the music, then you better go watch something else, or else you'll be disappointed.
May 29, 2009 9:18 PM

Apr 2009
IMHO, some people are taking this show too seriously.

I knew from ep 1 that this show would be less about music (despite it being main cohesive force keeping the cast together) and more about the girls having fun times. I mean, just LOOK at it. The tune, the mood, the atmosphere of the show... it just smells of moe, not some fictional biography of music prodigy..
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
May 31, 2009 10:19 AM

Jun 2008
The reason why it is popular is because it's kyoanime. My question is why do people actually think this is a good show. It's not even that funny of a show.
May 31, 2009 10:49 AM

May 2009
76ers-kid said:
The reason why it is popular is because it's kyoanime. My question is why do people actually think this is a good show. It's not even that funny of a show.

I normally don't really care who made it. I tend to focus on what the show is about and stuff like that.

A comedy about four (now five) girls wanting to start a band, one of them having no knowledge whatsoever about music as a whole or even the instrument she plays. That alone made me think this could become an epic show and I wasn't disappointed.

KyoAni doing this is more an added bonus than an actual reason to watch it.

Also, I see this more as a comedy similar to Lucky Star than a show about music. Heck, the music is probably not the actual driving force behind this show in the first place; the whole interaction between the girls is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2009 12:18 PM

Oct 2007
V3gas said:
I watched it because I saw this and it looked so insanely cute.

S-s-s-s-s-oooooo cuuuuuteeeee~ :3

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
May 31, 2009 3:00 PM

Apr 2008
its shit, i know. i just watch it because i have no life
May 31, 2009 9:45 PM

May 2009
76-ers said:

Why would you care what studio produced it? It's either a love-hate thing with anime, always been, always will be. That said, are you really that nosy as to care and interfere with people's choices. I mean seriously, don't you got better things to do.
Jun 1, 2009 3:37 AM

Jun 2008
jahrakal2009 said:
Why would you care what studio produced it? It's either a love-hate thing with anime, always been, always will be. That said, are you really that nosy as to care and interfere with people's choices. I mean seriously, don't you got better things to do.

The production studio has a lot to do with the hype this show is getting (was getting/got).
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jun 1, 2009 6:52 AM

May 2009
turkeymeister said:
jahrakal2009 said:

The production studio has a lot to do with the hype this show is getting (was getting/got).

Too bad this anime might be hyped (although this is very doubtful and claiming it really is such is premature at this stage), but it certainly is not overrated.

Now, I'm not really one for the studio. When something is good, or when I like something, I watch it. Simple as that. I think most people are much the same.
Jun 1, 2009 11:33 AM

May 2009
Hyped? Maybe, but as far as I'm concerned, the show lived up to it.

Unless the show takes a turn for the worst (which I doubt, if they keep following the manga like this), the show will easily become one of the better shows around and definitely worth any hype that preceded it.

And if so many people blindly go for it by just hearing/reading "Kyoto Animation" under production company, that tells me that a lot of people think this company makes quality shows. And if you would be of firm belief that anything this company makes turns to pure gold, why NOT try your hands on any new project of theirs?
Jun 1, 2009 4:49 PM

May 2009
Yeah, true. K-ON! really isn't "that" bad, the way people make it sound is like its filthy garbage when truth be told, it's a reasonably competent anime that is at the very least quite good/above average.
Jun 2, 2009 1:35 AM

Aug 2008
MOE MOE KYUUUUN~

Jun 2, 2009 4:14 AM

Jun 2008
AO968 said:
And if so many people blindly go for it by just hearing/reading "Kyoto Animation" under production company, that tells me that a lot of people think this company makes quality shows. And if you would be of firm belief that anything this company makes turns to pure gold, why NOT try your hands on any new project of theirs?

No, it tells you that a lot of people are very much swayed by reputations. Kyoto Animation isn't infallible, Munto and Lucky Star tell you that.

And to pre-empt you, I make no claim that they're bad, but rather, that they're not "pure gold" as you say. And neither is K-ON.

jahrakal2009 said:
Yeah, true. K-ON! really isn't "that" bad, the way people make it sound is like its filthy garbage when truth be told, it's a reasonably competent anime that is at the very least quite good/above average.

I would call it mediocre, but regardless, merely above average/mediocre is not quite good enough. Which is why I don't watch it. There's also a degree of disappointment when the show fails to live up to hype, which can translate into a vindictiveness. It's perfectly understandable.

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jun 2, 2009 9:17 AM

Jun 2008
AO968 said:
76ers-kid said:

I normally don't really care who made it. I tend to focus on what the show is about and stuff like that.

Ditto. This woud be the same as saying "I know the Disney will only give good animation" which you know to be a false. Personally I don't care who does it as long as I'm entertained by it.

A comedy about four (now five) girls wanting to start a band, one of them having no knowledge whatsoever about music as a whole or even the instrument she plays. That alone made me think this could become an epic show and I wasn't disappointed.

KyoAni doing this is more an added bonus than an actual reason to watch it.

Also, I see this more as a comedy similar to Lucky Star than a show about music. Heck, the music is probably not the actual driving force behind this show in the first place; the whole interaction between the girls is.
This is why I like it. The music is secondary to the main storyline, which is about friendship and bonding. This is why it's called a slice-of-life series. It's just everyday trials and tribulations. We don't need to worry about storylines that are written for overthrowing governments with superpowers or mechas.

jahrakal2009 said:
76-ers said:

It's sad that those who hate/dislike the show (or any at that) will come on here and bash it. If you don't like the anime, fine, please don't visit or comment in this thread. There are animes I don't like but I don't go into those threads and start saying bad things about it. Plus since I don't care to watch it, I couldn't add to the conversation. Of course if you are watching them and you don't like the series, you're telling us you like it enough to spend the time to watch it. Quit trying to be a closet fan. ;)
Dodecahedron-O24Jun 2, 2009 9:23 AM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 2, 2009 11:44 PM

Jun 2008
Alternatively, people watched enough of it, and occasionally overhear their friends watching it, that they have come to a conclusion about its quality, and it's bad.

Or they're just bored enough to watch something they hate. Who knows?

formosan said:
Jun 3, 2009 4:24 PM

Jun 2008
turkeymeister said:
Alternatively, people watched enough of it, and occasionally overhear their friends watching it, that they have come to a conclusion about its quality, and it's bad.

Or they're just bored enough to watch something they hate. Who knows?

That does happen.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 3, 2009 9:54 PM

Oct 2007
AO968 said:

Either that or they are bandwagon jumpers who want to be in with the crowd. I wonder though if people ever really do stop to question why this studio is so worshipped for doing the same basic thing over and over and over, be it on the Key front or the medicore moe otaku pandering series front. The more I watch Kyoani's shows the more I see that they really aren't anything all that special at all like they're made out to be by fanboys. Even their supposed superior animation is slipping fast, which was the one thing that really stood out from them to me.

And to the guy who said this series is about friendship and bonding, yeah I think that's what they want to be trying for with this show, but the execution of it is frankly terrible and at it's absolute best pedestrian. Bonding and relationship building indicates that their actually be some sort of progression in said relationships, but the thing is that the K-On girls level of interaction is the same as in the 9th episode (bar the inclusion of Asuza) as it was in the first episode and the day they all got together . Essentially nothing has evolved or been built upon, they've just introduced new characters once in a while with their stock bit and allowed them to stagnate along with the rest of the cast after their introduction.

Also the shows solution to everything since episode 04 has been to show the girls engaging in the same old tired antics of Ritsu teasing Mio, Yui being lazy, Sawako being bipolar, Ui being bland and Mugi offering everybody cake. Little changes so no, this show isn't about relationship building and comraderie.....at least not on the execution front. In fact the only chemistry the cast is shown to have is in the awkwardly stiched together gag sequences which as I mentioned almost never change. K-On is showing itself as a one trick pony, much like the studio that produced it is lately, and that's what it's biggest fault is, not that it's not about the music 100% of the time.

I mean I know what this show is trying to be, it's just not doing a very good job at it or frankly even trying. If only this show would follow it's own creed from the ending songs title.
PeacingOutJun 3, 2009 10:06 PM
Jun 4, 2009 8:37 PM

May 2009
turkeymeister said:

I would call it mediocre, but regardless, merely above average/mediocre is not quite good enough. Which is why I don't watch it. There's also a degree of disappointment when the show fails to live up to hype, which can translate into a vindictiveness. It's perfectly understandable.

I suppose what you have stated is fair enough given you don't openly bash the series and actually have valid reasons why you don't like it. I do agree with the disappointment in a show not living up to its hype, but K-ON! certainly has got something there that somehow still manages to woo the audience.

Whether it's good or bad, this is not something for me or you to decide but the majority of the viewers in general; if they like it, so be it; if they don't, they don't. It's only when there is groundless bashing supported by an obviously weak argument that the problem starts, leading up to the flame wars.

sbyrstall said:

It's sad that those who hate/dislike the show (or any at that) will come on here and bash it. If you don't like the anime, fine, please don't visit or comment in this thread. There are animes I don't like but I don't go into those threads and start saying bad things about it. Plus since I don't care to watch it, I couldn't add to the conversation. Of course if you are watching them and you don't like the series, you're telling us you like it enough to spend the time to watch it. Quit trying to be a closet fan. ;)

That's true. KyoAni productions seems to be the bulk of a smearing campaign and scrutiny that is beyond that of many anime perhaps due to the curse of being overpopular or over hyped. The reason to why people bother to post one word responses and throw the word overrated around still eludes me. Ironically enough, people do bother to come and post at KyoAni threads more than most others, even though I could list at least 10 anime more worthy of being criticised. What's more, people do seem to be on the receiving end of offensive "taboo" terminology such as retard for enjoying a particular series with most of the aggravators simply bandwagon hoppers.
Jun 5, 2009 1:01 AM

Jun 2008
jahrakal2009 said:
That's true. KyoAni productions seems to be the bulk of a smearing campaign and scrutiny that is beyond that of many anime perhaps due to the curse of being overpopular or over hyped. The reason to why people bother to post one word responses and throw the word overrated around still eludes me. Ironically enough, people do bother to come and post at KyoAni threads more than most others, even though I could list at least 10 anime more worthy of being criticised. What's more, people do seem to be on the receiving end of offensive "taboo" terminology such as retard for enjoying a particular series with most of the aggravators simply bandwagon hoppers.

I think it's not down to the strength of feeling, but rather that criticisms against Kyoto Animation Productions *do* draw replies, due to their popularity. I could criticise Rozen Maiden, or Fate/Stay Night or any other semi-popular series, but replies woudl be sparse and probably not incite further dicsussion.

formosan said:
Jun 6, 2009 5:25 PM

Jul 2007
Wow... I think I created a monster when I started this thread. Regardless, I'm back having watched the first two episodes, and about to watch the third. It's a good thing I'm marathoning it because I assure you if I stopped now I may never pick it up again.

If I recall correctly, I said there was nothing interesting to me about this series. Now that I've watched the first two episodes, there is STILL nothing interesting to me about this series. I chuckled when I saw Krauser, and Mugi's pretty great, but there is NOTHING in this series that defines why it is so popular AND highly rated.

Going forward with no sugar coating, Yui Hirasawa is the most retarded excuse for "moe" I have ever seen. I want to hit her. I want other people to hit her. She is mentally stupid, clumsy beyond human possibility and not in a funny or cute way, and despite that SHE'S THE FUCKING MAIN CHARACTER

Mio... I haven't gotten to this "moe moe kyun" stuff yet, but for starters, she's a complete rip-off of Mei from Manabi Straight. I guess her appeal is that she has a sexy voice and embarrasses easily. If that's all it takes to get love in the anime community these days, we've sunk a long, long way down.

I will keep watching because the only way I can ever give a fair opinion of this series is if I see it through to completion, and believe me, this is definitely a series I want to have an opinion about. Though I will say it's certainly not a good thing when I go in with low expectations and am STILL met with disappointment.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jun 6, 2009 5:43 PM

Oct 2008
There are quite a few reasons..

1) Its from KyoAni!

2) Its very funny...

3) The music is very good.

4) moe moe kyun!!^^
Jun 6, 2009 6:17 PM
Jan 2009
Splitter said:
Yui Hirasawa is the most retarded excuse for "moe" I have ever seen. I want to hit her. I want other people to hit her. She is mentally stupid, clumsy beyond human possibility and not in a funny or cute way, and despite that SHE'S THE FUCKING MAIN CHARACTER

Mio... I haven't gotten to this "moe moe kyun" stuff yet, but for starters, she's a complete rip-off of Mei from Manabi Straight. I guess her appeal is that she has a sexy voice and embarrasses easily. If that's all it takes to get love in the anime community these days, we've sunk a long, long way down.

You don't seem to understand that

a) Yui is exactly what the general anime community wants, if you can't tell from the reactions on this board alone.

b) Yes, they LOVE her. And Mio.

c) Because they are fucking drenched in moe-sauce.

d) Yes, it's terrible.
Jun 6, 2009 6:57 PM

Jul 2007
RepeatDisc said:

You don't seem to understand that

a) Yui is exactly what the general anime community wants, if you can't tell from the reactions on this board alone.

b) Yes, they LOVE her. And Mio.

c) Because they are fucking drenched in moe-sauce.

d) Yes, it's terrible.

I do understand that, and from that I understand that the entire concept of moe has evolved to a state beyond worth.

To whoever has said "moe moe kyu~n" that sequence was cute, but it was nothing special and it was done in that same fugly style that Fuko's appearances later in Clannad's first season were done in so a bonus "ugh" for that as well.

Still waiting for it to get good... starting to lose hope.
Jun 6, 2009 7:03 PM
Jan 2009
Have you noticed the least discussed character is Ritsu? Even in comparison to the mook character - Yui's sister. That is because Ritsu is probably the most normalized of the cast.

Ta-da.
Jun 6, 2009 7:14 PM

Jul 2007
RepeatDisc said:
Have you noticed the least discussed character is Ritsu? Even in comparison to the mook character - Yui's sister. That is because Ritsu is probably the most normalized of the cast.

Ta-da.

Mugi is the best I think... though Sawako-sensei is absolute love <3
Jun 6, 2009 7:42 PM
Jan 2009
Splitter said:
RepeatDisc said:

Ta-da.

I thought we were bros for a moment there.
Jun 6, 2009 7:57 PM

Jul 2007
RepeatDisc said:
Splitter said:
RepeatDisc said:

Ta-da.

I thought we were bros for a moment there.

And now to completely sever the gap... after 5 and 6, my god... I don't know what happened but I think I like it now. It's nothing amazing but Yui's become palatable, Mio's gotten cuter, Mugi and Ritsu are still love, and Sawako-sensei is ABSOLUTE LOVE... that and they're finally playing music!

I still don't understand why it's so popular, but... I don't dislike it. Rather, it finally hit its stride.
Jun 6, 2009 8:29 PM
Jan 2009
Et tu, broseidon?

Also, I remember this moment. I was satisfied with 5 and 6. Then it stopped being about music again. It's like that scene in Ep. 9 with Yui and the cake (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it). Except they keep taking the music away.

Well, admittedly, I watch the show to make myself angry and laugh with my friends about how terrible some of it is, since I typically dislike slice of life (although Hyakko rules). Plus I started the show because I saw guitars and drums.

Just in case anybody wants to ask me 'why are you watching it, then?'.
May 25, 2010 11:36 PM

Mar 2009
Moe. The cuteness and ditziness.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

game8910 - Jun 4, 2009

233 by The_Neeko »»
Apr 1, 8:37 AM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 2, 2009

598 by piratini »»
Mar 16, 1:58 AM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DaBigD - Jun 25, 2009

344 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 3:22 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jun 18, 2009

314 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 2:59 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DaBigD - Jun 11, 2009

199 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 2:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.