Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 17, 2017 3:31 PM
Aug 2014
Can't say I cared for how they structured this episode, to have such big moments between recaps.

Utena really showed her naivety with that last line, but why did she wear make-up and a dress for the first time if all she was planning to do was get some roses?

During the few scenes between flashbacks Utena you could see Utena grow more and more uneasy, so even if she wanted something more to happen at first I don't think she did by the end.
Sep 11, 2017 6:13 AM

Jun 2013
It's fucked up because Akio (an adult) took advantage of Utena's naiveté (who is, again, a middle school student). Not because she's not a virgin anymore. And while it's unfortunate that she wasn't smarter, she's not to blame for this.

Unsettling episode. I really like that this show took some risks, and I'm not just talking about this episode. For example, in most anime (especially those aimed at otaku audiences), it's very rare for you adult characters to ever even be in a relationship, let alone have sex. Probably because the production comittees are afraid that they won't be able to sell enough figures and dakimakura if the viewer's waifu isn't a virgin or is in a relationship. Well, unless it's the main love interest, sometimes. (Of course, I'm just speculating, and I realize that I'm oversimplifying things.)
LeeTailorSep 11, 2017 6:27 AM
Oct 9, 2017 7:06 AM

Apr 2016
That was unexpected, and what a mindblowing episode.
Mar 15, 2018 2:40 PM

Jul 2016
Well... that happened, it's nice to see people here discussing episodes in a way that you don't see in many other anime, it's kind of weird, but it's also pretty neat.

Anyways, yeah, you've seen the episode and this thread has over a hundred responses, I hardly can say anything that has been said.

EDIT: Wait, she's 14? Really? Holy crap, I thought Utena was older lol. Ahio is some real ass, don't you think?
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Mar 27, 2018 4:51 AM

Mar 2012
I was finally getting into enjoying the show a little in the past few episodes but now this. I'm so disappointed with Utena, was the part about being boyish only about breaking school rules and putting on shorts!? Why do all these girls keep on falling for playboys!?
Apr 15, 2018 9:58 AM

Jan 2017
Incredible.

This honestly took me by surprise.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Sep 18, 2018 3:08 PM

Nov 2016
Damn, her cherry popped.

Another very cool recap in this show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 12, 2018 12:33 AM

Aug 2015
Art-wise this episode feels like its going full evangelion. I can't believe it's 50% recap though, like seriously?

Well, I'm long past the point of caring how this ends (gainax ending defense mechanisms activated!)

Utena flexing, my precious cinnamon bun

And then, *that* happened...

The animation on Utena's face when she's talking about lunch tomorrow is on point.
glassknucklesOct 13, 2018 1:01 AM
Jan 25, 2019 2:15 AM
Dec 2017
I WANNA RUB SALT IN MY EYES!! CURSE YOU AKIO!!!
Uhh Utena why?!!! Just why? I'm so disappointed in you I cant believe you let yourself be fooled twice by 2 freaking guuyysss
Jan 26, 2019 4:14 PM

May 2010
Easily the best recap episode ever made, like I'm not even angry! I had chills throught the whole thing, and ending scenes with Utena were so damn hard to watch, ugh!
Mar 19, 2019 6:46 AM

Aug 2013
Man, it's been a long time since I've disliked a character as much as I do Akio.
Apr 7, 2019 8:34 AM

Oct 2017
Totally expected this, since the whole point of this show is Revolutionizing their childhood as well as making "End of the Childhood" real. So Akio is acting as the "Mr. Putting an End to My Childhood", maybe that's the reason why the girls on the radio call him as "Mr. End of the World"...
Rose delivery... Bride delivery, ahhh...
Anthy not wanting to look at real stars, not wanting to face reality? Seems to be the case.
Jun 7, 2019 3:01 PM

Apr 2014
Can't believe this happened in a recap episode, why not I guess.
Jul 14, 2019 7:29 AM

Mar 2016
I honestly don't know who's more dangerous Akio or Anthy. An interesting move to add some serious plot into recap epsiode... The episode shows scenes of all the main characters losing their duels and finishes with Utena's loss. Hm.
Sep 2, 2019 9:32 AM

Apr 2018
Goddamn, that was by far one of the most upsetting episodes i have ever watched. Gotta give mad props to the show for managing to get under my skin in a way that very few anime have.

The fact that i never see Akio mentioned in "Most Hated Character/Villain" threads alongside Griffith, Shou Tucker, Kyubey, etc. just goes to show that not enough people have watched Utena.

It really feels like they did it purposefully, dropping such a huge bomb in a recap episode; like they expected the audience to lower their guard so that the sucker punch of that scene hits so much harder.
Also, like the person above me already mentioned, it's like they intentionally showcased the Duelist's previous losses in order to accentuate that now...it was Utena's turn to "lose".

Utena, my girl; stay strong.
Stygian_PrisonerSep 2, 2019 9:38 AM
Apr 28, 2020 6:17 PM

Sep 2014
So it wasnt really a recap episode (only recapped random bits anyway) but suddenly progressed Utenas relationship. Nearly skipped it, but they presented it obvious that its not just a recap.

I have no idea what to make of this.

But in the end Utena struggles with the eternal question "what shall I eat?"

Ironically this might be my favourite episode, the one which feels like straight out of evangelion.

Wtf you mean she is 14???
Comander-07Apr 28, 2020 6:27 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 28, 2020 1:55 AM
Jan 2020
The end of this episode with utena having sex with that jerk made me really angry. I've never been very angry for anime. I am really disappointed in utena's character for getting trick so easily.
Sep 26, 2020 4:39 PM

May 2018
The fact that the recap of this episode is mainly focused on characters getting manipulated by others (think Miki getting manipulated by his sister Kozue, Juri getting manipulated by Ruka) really just perfectly encapsulates what is currently happening to Utena. I feel sick thinking about it, poor girl. You could really feel that discomfort and uneasiness as she tries to make "small talk" when they're literally about to have sex. It's almost like she's trying to act as if it isn't happening. She knows what is happening isn't right. It is practically rape after all. One of the best scenes I've ever watched be composed in anime. The staging of it is perfect, as you slowly realise what is going on before it dawns on you. It's so well done, I don't know where to begin.

I guess, in my mind, this confirms it: The End Of The World is the loss of virginity, the first sexual experience, the loss of innocence ect. And it is Akio who represents this.
SeijatachiiiiSep 29, 2020 2:51 PM
Dec 30, 2020 1:00 AM
May 2020
i cannot believe half of these comments are blaming utena for sleeping with him?!? she’s 14 and he groomed her wtf are you all missing. saying you like her less because she was a victim of statutory rape is gross and disturbing because she didn’t resist. HE IS A GROWN ADULT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF A MIDDLE SCHOOLER!
May 5, 2021 11:50 PM

Jul 2016
Okay... so another recap episode featuring a bit of plot development to save itself from being skipped, huh? Most of its duration made me remember just how much I hate Kozue and Shiori's characters and the revelation of Utena being so easily manipulable to the point of giving her virginity to a man who compares himself to freaking Lucifer wasn't surprising at all. It was bounded to happen sooner or later and if it wasn't with Akio, it would have been with Touga instead.
Nov 23, 2021 12:27 AM

Apr 2021
This recap episode is so different than any recap episode i've ever seen.
Shit! It is great, but it is very unsettling and disturbing!
Dec 26, 2021 3:36 PM

Oct 2010
Utena scored with her crush, good for her, she'll remember her first time for her whole life and man, she did it with the biggest jerk in the world, damn.
Jan 11, 2022 3:03 PM

Sep 2018
Hahahahahahahahaha!

Oh dear, this would suck if you were really attached to Utena and the series lmao.
Mar 28, 2022 8:57 AM

Jan 2022
Really hate recap episodes, but they really make it worthwhile in this anime
Honestly don't know what else to say, just absolutely despise Akio really
Jul 19, 2022 2:50 AM
Sep 2019
Can believe that sob scored with utena 🤧🥴
Sep 21, 2022 8:06 AM
Sep 2021
CHOCADA EM CRISTO!!!!
Oct 15, 2022 8:07 PM
May 2015
I thought "YET ANOTHER RECAP" then the end arrived... and I saw an implied topless Utena bite her finger then shudder... then it zooms out to show ol' Akio's hand and the reason his shirt was undone... grossgrossgrossgrossgross. This show is REALLY getting scandalous now.
Oct 16, 2022 8:37 PM

Jul 2022
I feel empty now...
Poor Utena...
Oct 20, 2022 11:07 AM

Jul 2014
Wait, people are surprised that Akio and Utena had sex? I thought that was obvious back in episode 30, let alone here. And the revelation that Akio is the End of the World is no real surprise, as there's not really anyone else it could have been at this point.

More importantly, though, did we really need another recap episode so close to the end? The closer I get to the end, the more convinced I am that this story did not need to be any more than two cours long and that it's been stretched out to an absurd degree: you could cut 99% of the Black Rose arc, most of Nanami's episodes (including her recap episode) and almost all of this episode and very little about the show would change at all. But no, gotta milk that stock footage for all its worth, amirite?
Feb 9, 2023 5:59 PM

Sep 2018
I'm seeing that a lot of the comments here have very normal responses to a girl being groomed and taken advantage of by someone who they see as a trustworthy adult. Truly, this community is the pinnacle of maturity.

It feels weird for me to call a recap episode one of my favorite anime episodes of all time, but I struggle to think of many other episodes that have left me as uncomfortable and horrified as this. I think it being a recap episode is essential, as the tradition of those being lighter leads you into a false sense of security, only for the reveal to be an absolute betrayal to both Utena and the audience. It hits even harder on a rewatch when you know about the Akio twist, where you can see how hard Utena's trying to repress her fear and disassociate in order to not get hurt, only to be continually forced to face the harsh reality of her situation. It presents this subject matter in a way where the presentation of it is tasteful enough to not feel remotely exploitative, while still having its absolute horror be on full display. It's an incredibly mature handling of the event that it feels like most anime prove themselves to be incapable of. It's a masterful episode in how unsettling it is.
Sirius__Feb 9, 2023 6:07 PM
May 21, 2023 8:56 PM
Nov 2020
It's really interesting that the not much of the older comments here realize it is rape, while the recent ones generally all point this out. I think over the years RGU has increasingly been regarded as a niche classic frequented by people who dare to think, and less of a quick casual show to binge.
ilalocheziaMay 21, 2023 9:01 PM
Jul 9, 2023 3:14 PM
Feb 2021
Bruh, I don't fucking get it.

This show is incredibly nihilistic in it's presentation and themes, which makes sense why they're talking about something eternal all the time, but wtf.

Akio, despite being a fucking scumbag, has some type of deeper understanding of the world that none of the other characters have. He is the one who said miracles occur every day, after all.

All of the characters that rematched Utena all had their spirits broken by Akio. They all had their core "eternal" beliefs broken by him showing them something actually eternal maybe.

I guess the only thing truly eternal is nothingness, hence the nihilistic outlook all the characters took after their rematches.

Akio seems to have more or less escaped nihilism by both accepting it and rejecting it. The specifics of how he's done that are what will actually determine if he's justified or not.

If he truly does have some sort of noble goal or even one that isn't his own self satisfaction, it will be hard to consider him pure evil. He's still scummy but it's not impossible that he's facilitating the growth of all the other characters for some actual goal.
Jul 12, 2023 1:39 AM
Oct 2017
I like adding new scenes to the recap episodes to recontextualize previous events or advance the plot a little.

And damn, they fucked. I really didn't expect that twist until the end! I thought it was wholesome asmr roleplay of Utena with audience :( My mind is messed up.

I also thought she maybe was dreaming, maybe we were in the future with she and Anthy, I'm flabbergasted.
Jul 12, 2023 1:22 PM
Feb 2016
guys keep in mind utena is a 14 year old girl being manipulated by a man well past his thirties. Shes barely into her teens, and teens get manipulated easily. Maybe consider blaming the adult in this situation instead of the child?

Also the fact that there are multiple comments saying that akio “scored” with utena make me want to vomit, what the fuck 💀
Jul 23, 2023 4:57 PM
Feb 2023
i am legit SO SAD seeing utena with akio and on top of that wearing a dress.... like he actually f*cked her.... and she put on a f*cking dress for him...
Aug 1, 2023 3:31 AM

Mar 2023
fuck akio that stinky ass fucker
wow
Oct 4, 2023 9:23 AM

Aug 2023
Some of you really forgetting Utena is a TEENAGER and Akio is i-dont-even-wanna-know years old and a master manipulator. You only know Akio is evil cause youre seeing everything as the audience AND YOU STILL BLAME THE VICTIM! Y'all need to get some thinking skills, empathy and touch some grass💀

𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌 𝒂𝒔 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒊𝒔, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒆.
Oct 9, 2023 10:24 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
Well well good thing I already dislike utena character in the previous episode but it's still bugging me, why she plotted to be a easy girl ? Dang it it really irritate me now
Oct 21, 2023 9:02 AM
Oct 2020
I don't think I've ever felt so disgusted watching a recap episode before. I feel like I need to puke or shower or something.
Nov 26, 2023 7:09 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Destroyer31
Well well good thing I already dislike utena character in the previous episode but it's still bugging me, why she plotted to be a easy girl ? Dang it it really irritate me now
@Destroyer31 Akio is an adult that's essentially grooming a middle schooler. Of course she's "dumb" in comparison to him.
Nov 26, 2023 7:16 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to smallest_moon
Some of you really forgetting Utena is a TEENAGER and Akio is i-dont-even-wanna-know years old and a master manipulator. You only know Akio is evil cause youre seeing everything as the audience AND YOU STILL BLAME THE VICTIM! Y'all need to get some thinking skills, empathy and touch some grass💀
@smallest_moon Ironically, that's the point of this show that the audience doesn't get. The double standard around women and demonizing them. That's why I always say that Nanami's egg is one that wraps up the themes of this show in a nutshell. If you're an early bloomer, then you're a shameful slut. If you're a late bloomer, then you're a flat chested loser. Men can sleep with anyone they want, but girls aren't allowed that luxury.

It's happening with Utena in this episode. It's actually hilarious. They hate Kozue for manipulating Miki into dueling Utena, even though he ultimately wanted Anthy, but he was too cowardly to fight Utena for her. Yet when Akio is actually manipulating a minor, they blame the girl again...

Another is the hate of Shiori, and the love of Ruka. I don't blame them for not liking Shiori, because I hate how she just wants to make Juri miserable, when Juri has done nothing but be nice to her and like her. All of that, for her petty feelings of jealousy. Though they miss how Ruka was basically bullying Shiori, just because Juri liked Shiori. How is Ruka any better than Shiori, when he's literally bullying and trying to make her life miserable, just because he's jealous of Shiori? Ruka got the sympathy of the audience, for essentially doing what Shiori did.
Nov 26, 2023 7:23 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to SouthRzVa
Okay... so another recap episode featuring a bit of plot development to save itself from being skipped, huh? Most of its duration made me remember just how much I hate Kozue and Shiori's characters and the revelation of Utena being so easily manipulable to the point of giving her virginity to a man who compares himself to freaking Lucifer wasn't surprising at all. It was bounded to happen sooner or later and if it wasn't with Akio, it would have been with Touga instead.
@SouthRzVa Yes, miss the point of the anime by hating women the most...

Kozue: literally was willing to put aside her feelings so that her brother could get Anthy. Because let's be honest here, Miki wanted to possess Anthy, but he stopped because he was too cowardly to fight Utena for her. That's why she called him a coward in the end.

I like how the audience frames Kozue as manipulating Miki, when he actually wanted Anthy. Though when Akio is actually grooming and manipulating Utena, the audience blames her.

Shiori: I understand not liking her, but I find it hypocritical how people like Ruka, when he essentially did the same thing that Shiori did. Shiori dated a guy, just to keep him from Juri. Shiori is ultimately jealous of Juri, which is why she wants the worse for her. She's rightfully demonized, since the only thing that Juri did to Shiori was be liked by the guy that Shiori had a crush on, and love Shiori. Ruka was ultimately liked by the audience, and he did the exact same thing as Shiori. He literally dated Shiori and practically bullied her, simply because he was jealous that Juri liked her. Shiori did nothing to him but be liked by Juri, and like Ruka. Yet the audience likes him, and hates Shiori.

Tbh, that's what this anime is ultimately about though. Double standards between men and women.
Dec 22, 2023 9:56 PM

Aug 2011
i skipped all the recap parts...but also wtf?!?!?! the brothers a pedophile. Utena's literally a kid omfg
desu desu binches
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.