Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 2, 2009 8:28 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really hate Anthys brother.

Aug 11, 2009 7:34 AM

Jul 2008
I love how they make a whole review episode but you have to watch just for the part at the end. It really makes my day :D
Aug 31, 2009 1:49 PM

Aug 2008
I don't like recaps but this episode was worth the Utena parts. I can't believe what happened.

What is the symbolism behind Anthy not wanting to look at the real stars? She doesn't want reality?
Oct 6, 2009 11:58 AM

Apr 2009
So wait... did that sonuvabitch just score with Utena?
Aug 5, 2010 2:54 PM

Jan 2010
I love how all three recap episodes in this anime actually had new material and not only patched up scenes form previous episodes.
Nov 15, 2010 1:47 AM

Aug 2009
Utena got conquered!
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jan 18, 2011 2:25 AM
Jan 2008
USED GOODS
Mar 18, 2011 10:21 PM

Jan 2009
Alas86 said:
So wait... did that sonuvabitch just score with Utena?

Sadly that would seem to be the case, as much as it saddens me.

I do enjoy the recap episodes in this series, they are always interesting.
Apr 16, 2011 1:28 PM
Jul 2010
So I guess the suspicions about Akio are confirmed. He admitted to being Mr. End of the World, and according to Touga he was the one who showed Utena a miracle. It is still difficult to ignore all the repeated signs that Anthy is the Prince, however; right now I'm choosing to believe that Akio is the Prince's body inhabited by a malicious spirit (End of the World), and Anthy is the prison for the righteous Prince's soul.

Also wow, the lingering shot of Utena's face as she made small-talk was super awkward.
Jul 3, 2011 6:36 AM
Feb 2008
Utena lost her virginity in a recap episode....precious!
Jul 10, 2011 3:53 PM

Jun 2009
Why can't all recap episodes be this good?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 6, 2011 2:43 PM

Nov 2009
omg ughhhhhhhhhhhhh gross. poor utena giving it up to a manipulative ugly manwhore
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2011 1:04 AM

Jan 2010
Recap episodes don't get much better than that, 33 episodes into a 39 episode show is kind of an awkward place for a recap though.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Aug 11, 2011 7:45 AM

Apr 2009
I loved it. This episode was SO evangelion-ish.
I wouldn't be surprised if the final episode is Utena receveing "omedetou" from the others characters and just that.
Aug 16, 2011 11:01 AM
Apr 2008
That was an interesting recap episode. Was I the only one who, when Utena was asking what she should make, kept mentally saying "Shaved ice!"? Haha.
I need to stop watching like 10 things at once oops.
Aug 19, 2011 8:49 AM

Jan 2011
hmm... ok so that was how it happened, roses delivery
Sep 16, 2011 5:52 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wow. I almost skipped this one over thinking it was just a recap episode and it turns out to have one of the most stunning events so far in the series.

Darling Utena giving it up to the Dark Prince. Wow.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 10, 2011 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
omg

SCANDAL!!
Jan 5, 2012 12:31 AM

Jul 2011
wow, they know how to make recap episodes. I'm wondering when "Dios" will play a role (if it is in fact a person and not just a god or something) and when (if ever) will they go to that damn castle

Just another thought,but watching through these recaps makes me realize that each character yearns for something eternal and that is the motivating factor for each duel. So, my guess would be that Akio and Touga show these people how to get something eternal or maybe a glimpse of something eternal (whether it be an illusion or not) and once these people have seen eternity their being changes.
Jan 8, 2012 3:13 PM
Dec 2009
that was close... i was going to skip this episode.. until i skimmed it lol..

sigh.. now i wonder what's the point in watching the rest of the show.. what's the purpose of it.. to me.. this episode just made me think that it lost it's meaning of Utena wanting to meet her prince.. cause i still think Dios is the prince..

i'm even more disappointed knowing that Utena is an easy girl, why.. because she was just going to deliver roses and instead had sex as well lol... i'm srsly glad i'm not attached to the protagonist or i'd be so frustrated right now.. i can only imagine what i'd feel if i really liked Utena.. glad I feel neutral about Utena..
tag©.androgynous
Jan 22, 2012 3:07 AM

Apr 2009
About Utena's breakfast talk. Her old self, today's meal, was broken (eaten) and she needs rearrange what's left of it to have something as the next day's breakfast (her new identity). But I'm not sure what the conflict is since in Utena's eyes Akio is still a good guy, although a playboy. While she slept with someone who's already taken, she had already adapted the philosophy no love is wrong (although she morally thinks it's wrong it's a matter of falling ot temptation, not changing her core values). Anyway, she needs to think whether she values that night as just experimenting, something that's not emotional or a commitment to love him (different ways to use what's left). It's pretty shallow and forced symbolism once again though.

Thought I have to say I hate Akio's guts and I'm a bit disappointed with Utena because I like her, though that's only a human mishap.
Jan 30, 2012 11:45 AM

Jul 2011
NO!!! why!! Utena!! why?!!!
she gave her virginity to that manipulative manwhore! this is just TRAGIC!
Mar 26, 2012 5:24 PM

Jul 2011
I can't believe Utena did it with that incestuous bastard.
That's so FUCKING TRAGIC, Utena WHYYYYYYYYYYY?????????????
Jun 12, 2012 1:44 PM

Dec 2009
It was a good recap episode. However, I'm wondering how/why did Utena end up like that. Nevertheless, it was a good episode.
Jun 12, 2012 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
Mon_Diamond said:
It was a good recap episode. However, I'm wondering how/why did Utena end up like that. Nevertheless, it was a good episode.

Akio went out with Utena to buy roses for Anthy. Since Anthy wasn't around, he took it as an opportunity to take Utena (who already had a crush on him) on a date and worked his magic on her. He's now attempting to control Utena through sex and her feelings for him like he's now doing with Anthy and Mrs Ohtori. In other words, Akio succedded where Touga failed :p
Sep 7, 2012 10:06 AM

Apr 2012
That was certainly one of the more eventful recap episodes I have seen. I also like the symbolism in the fact that Utena was sent to give Akio some flowers and... well, she did just that, if you know what I mean.
Dec 18, 2012 5:46 PM
Aug 2007
Oh man, now that's how you do recap episodes. The whole time I just thought Utena was just bridging the gap between the recap segments by making it seem as if she was on a date with "the viewer" (i.e. me or you), the sex scene felt a bit awkward at that point, but then they showed she was on a date with Akio and I was like "OH SNAP!"

Can't believe it happened :( Disappointing...

Also. This is one ridiculously sex-filled show. I don't know how this was something people could have watched as a child..
Dec 20, 2012 9:00 PM

May 2010
He's so gonna get fired and arrested for doing it with a minor
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 30, 2013 9:14 PM

Mar 2012
I kept wondering who Utena's mystery date was. It's upsetting that it was Akio, but honestly not that shocking.

Next episode starts the final arc! Let's get some answers!
Feb 12, 2013 10:37 PM

Sep 2010
Lol @ all the sexist people calling Utena "easy" or a "whore" while lots of guys in this show can be as sexually active as they like and they're not pushed down with such insults
Mar 6, 2013 10:57 PM

Aug 2007
I still believe Utena was just naive enough to lose her virginity...
It's sad, but believable for many young women. Some guys just have no remorse to take things away from others.
I wonder if she will gain some insights after this and start to realize what is going on as she sheds her naivete?

Mar 23, 2013 8:30 PM

Nov 2011
Such a cleverly composed episode, and highly messed up. Utena is being played by the Anthys.

Also, it takes talent to make a 5 minute monologue about what you are going to make for breakfast that interesting and full of subtext. Also delivered perfectly. One of the more memorable scenes of the entire show so far for me. I was totally fascinated by it.
May 3, 2013 9:53 AM

Apr 2012
Great episode. Well structured, with perfect image composition once again. Utena was really cute, the recaps put things in perspective, and she had good natural fun with the only guy in the show she had a crush on. Nothing wrong with that. And it doesn't mean she's naive or will become a puppet. Now that End of the World and Utena are together, I wonder if any revolution is going to take place, or what kind.

Couldn't help but feel some sort of tension from Anthy. She does Akio's biddings, but I kind of expect her own will will come into play later on.

neontaster said:
Also, it takes talent to make a 5 minute monologue about what you are going to make for breakfast that interesting and full of subtext. Also delivered perfectly. One of the more memorable scenes of the entire show so far for me. I was totally fascinated by it.
It was a mesmerizing scene.

"-- Did you get the roses?
-- Sure did."
lol
EratiKMay 4, 2013 12:55 AM
Jun 1, 2013 8:24 PM

Apr 2012
argh this show is repetitive at the best of times. If it wasn't so repetitive I've watch it more regularly and not need the recaps -_-'
Jul 1, 2013 4:53 AM
Dec 2012
I have lost all hope now. Utena was my favourite character in the show, and was even in my favourites, and now THIS HAPPENS?!? Done, removed her from favourites, lost all hope, abandoning my ticket to neo-venezia, all aboard the one way rape train to evangelion.
Jul 19, 2013 1:50 PM
Apr 2011
Pheefa said:
Utena got conquered!

^^^this is such a stupid way of looking at sex

sex isn't a game where one party loses and the other party wins. ideally, it's a mutual bond between two people

however, in this instance it's hard to look at it as mutual when akio seems to be much MUCH older than utena, with much MUCH more experience. he also has power over all these kids due to his status as acting chairman. if anything, it seems more akin to statutory rape. akio is such a scumbag

also, this episode made me reevaluate what the car scenes meant earlier. has akio been having sex with everyone he was taking for a ride previously? in retrospect, it seems obvious, but... christ, akio really is a manipulative creep.

hell, even him having a car seems to be a direct parallel to real life where an adult has privileges like a car that he/she can use to impress and manipulate a younger person without those same privileges. p fucked up, but i'm absolutely sure it was intentional. i wonder where they're going with this, though...? there's no way akio is supposed to be a good guy in this story, i'll say that much.
Sep 28, 2013 8:21 AM

Aug 2012
Utena had sex with someone. Big deal. That doesn't change who she is or make her stupid.
Jan 25, 2014 10:07 PM

Jan 2013
That bit of dialogue Utena had at the end about what to make for lunch was one of the greatest bits I've seen in any anime....

Salmon(Fish).....
Asparagus....
Mayonnaise....
Mash hard boiled eggs...

I'm sure you guys can put 2+2 together.

In any case there was SO much symbolism and subtext in this episode as usual. I might need to re-watch this whole series one day to catch what I missed. And for those of you who didn't realize (I didn't realize til now), Utena was being raped; it wasn't exactly consensual.
BullsNBears93Jan 26, 2014 11:38 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2014 10:44 AM

Oct 2010
SharifEbeefE said:
In any case there was SO much symbolism and subtext in this episode as usual. I might need to re-watch this whole series one day to catch what I missed. And for those of you who didn't realize (I didn't realize til now), Utena was being raped; it wasn't exactly consensual.

If she was raped, then why didn't she resist Akio either during the act or while they were in the car? Seemed pretty consensual to me. The line at the end, "I never expected we'd end up doing what we did.", also points to the same conclusion.
Apr 3, 2014 6:55 PM

Apr 2012
spyrocoot said:
SharifEbeefE said:

If she was raped, then why didn't she resist Akio either during the act or while they were in the car? Seemed pretty consensual to me. The line at the end, "I never expected we'd end up doing what we did.", also points to the same conclusion.

did you not see the multiple "stops" in the road?

also, akio is like five hundred. utena is 14. she can't consent.
u gay
Apr 4, 2014 8:24 AM

Oct 2010
little-flower said:
spyrocoot said:
SharifEbeefE said:

did you not see the multiple "stops" in the road?

also, akio is like five hundred. utena is 14. she can't consent.

What, you mean in the final scene of the episode when Akio and Utena are in the car? If so, then no, I can't say I did. Wanna help me out? You're viewing it for your second time, so obviously you're probably seeing things that I didn't my first time round.

True enough, Utena is 14 while Akio is around 500, but age of consent is different in each country. Some countries have it as low as 12. I'm pretty sure Germany's is 14, but I digress. If by rape you mean statutory rape (sex with minors), then yeah, possibly. In the traditional sense though, no, I don't think Utena was raped. Sure, she didn't look like she wanted to do it, but she didn't put up a huge amount of resistance either. She was even in the same car as Akio afterwards.

If I'm missing something, then please go ahead and correct me. Utena is a very ambiguous series with a lot of symbolism that is likely to go over your head during the first viewing, so I'm not going to pretend that I have all the answers.
Apr 4, 2014 10:20 AM

Apr 2012
^ Those stops could've been directed to herself just as much as Akio (I'd need to rewatch too to be sure). She had spent her life denying her femininity after all, but had gradually allowed herself to be seduced.
Apr 4, 2014 11:15 AM

Oct 2010
Blackouting said:
^ Those stops could've been directed to herself just as much as Akio (I'd need to rewatch too to be sure). She had spent her life denying her femininity after all, but had gradually allowed herself to be seduced.

Do the symbols on the road after Utena says "what is eternity?" say "stop"? Translator didn't put that in in the version I'm watching, which would explain the confusion.
Apr 4, 2014 1:36 PM

Apr 2012
I don't know I'm just going by what he said!
Apr 4, 2014 6:45 PM
Sep 2007
spyrocoot said:
SharifEbeefE said:

http://adventuresofcomicbookgirl.tumblr.com/post/20316109447/i-just-went-through-all-of-your-posts-tagged-ad-utena

THE BELOW LINK HAS SPOILERS FOR THE END OF THE SERIES. This one is another essay about it that goes over the same points, but in a more detailed way, I think.
Jul 20, 2014 5:47 PM

Sep 2013
Anelis said:
Utena lost her virginity in a recap episode....precious!
lmao!
Aug 24, 2014 5:39 PM

Aug 2008
I feel betrayed. Kind of. :I
Sep 16, 2014 10:24 PM
Aug 2011
This actually caused me a lot of pain.
Dec 17, 2014 2:22 PM

Oct 2012
Shit. I was expecting it to happen for a while now, but that didn't make it any easier to watch.
Though I find it hilarious that such an important scene was put in a recap episode.
Jan 10, 2015 3:31 PM

Sep 2013
Welp, good for Akio.

I have no idea what to think of the direction the plot is taking during these last episodes. I think it all will find its place in the puzzle eventually though.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.