Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 2, 2009 7:06 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my god whats going on? I need to watch the next episode now.

Aug 31, 2009 10:10 AM

Aug 2008
I feel like every single one of these episodes make me just say "wow" over and over.
Nov 15, 2010 12:49 AM

Aug 2009
Oh my...

Oh, poor Nanami =/
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Mar 18, 2011 6:14 PM

Jan 2009
Egad. I don't even know anymore.
Jul 10, 2011 3:33 AM

Jun 2009
Wow. That is all I have to say.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 6, 2011 9:24 AM

Nov 2009
wow. talk about fucking suspense. that music in the last scene holy shat
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2011 12:19 AM

Jan 2010
My first reaction was "are you kidding me?" in an entirely positive way.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Aug 14, 2011 10:48 AM

Jan 2010
my reaction to this episode,

"WTF happened?!"
Sep 16, 2011 4:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
shoockooo!

Kind of expected it but never actually thought I'd see it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 1, 2011 9:24 PM

Nov 2007
Well, I'm pretty sure all of us knew it was happening, but showing it at the end with that music was pretty wow.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jan 4, 2012 11:20 PM

Jul 2011
It's like anime characters can't resist the urge to create their own harem.

All joking aside I was not really as shocked as everyone else was, I mean we have already seen this haven't we. But damn the music in this series is phenomenal.
Jan 12, 2012 7:20 PM

Jun 2008
lol poor Nanami, traumatized for life.

and where does Anthy keep all that hair?? That hair would not fit in the bun she usually wears
Jun 11, 2012 7:06 PM

Dec 2009
The constant "Just kidding" throughout the episode was funny... and other than that poor Nanami hahah
Sep 7, 2012 12:08 AM

Apr 2012
Well, that was a terrible episode... just kidding.

Anyway, that ending was certainly an eyebrow raiser. I figured someone would find out about Akio and Anthy's relationship sooner or later but I did not think it would be Nanami; and she did not look too pleased about finding it out either. I actually felt kind of bad for her this episode.
Dec 16, 2012 6:16 PM
Aug 2007
XD Anthy was eating a banana when Nanami slipped

Lol @ turning the "chairman's residence into a harem"

O_O Dat ENDING.

Wow... overall a very funny episode, but the revelation that Touga/Nanami aren't related was crazy, and then the ending.. Nanami's reaction freaked me out, especially with that music...

I hope they explain Touga's past now..
Jan 28, 2013 8:09 PM

Mar 2012
Well, I guess Nanami's obsession with Touga is a little less... creepy now.

This episode made me feel sorry for Nanami, but Anthy as well. Look at her face - I don't think she's enjoying this at all. I think Akio's manipulating her more than anyone else in the series.
Mar 6, 2013 9:29 PM

Aug 2007
I hope Akio is just manipulating Anthy!
I might freak out if Anthy really schemes and wants bad things to happen with her brother :X

But that last scene was super intense. I must watch the next episode NOW!

Mar 23, 2013 6:52 PM

Nov 2011
What the actual fuck?

This show does a fantastic job of slowly building depth to the characters. You really got a good insight into Nanami.
May 12, 2013 10:20 PM
Apr 2009
Wow a Nanami episode that isn't a filler.
Jul 18, 2013 9:26 AM

Mar 2009
God damn. That was an incredible episode. In fact, these previous couple of episodes have all been amazing.

Poor Nanami(I've always liked her, in an odd sorta way). She's traumatized now. Weirdly, an interesting parallel to her own obsession with her brother. But now that she's actually witnessed the extremes of sibling love here, she's like, "NOPE. Fuck that."

On a side note, it almost looked like Anthy was dead at the end.
Jul 19, 2013 12:19 PM
Apr 2011
i find it weird how this show can have an episode that is mostly just funny lighthearted filler then suddenly turn dead serious at the end with the exact same material that we were just laughing at. it's like emotional whiplash
Sep 28, 2013 7:19 AM

Aug 2012
Anthy was eating a banana right after Nanami slipped on a peel ... very suspicious. I don't really see why Nanami feels so sad about them not being real siblings ...
Jan 24, 2014 10:24 PM

Jan 2013
Wow is the only thing I can say about this episode. I'm SO glad I didn't drop this anime when I was debating to about 10-15 episodes ago.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2014 4:12 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Yeeeaaah, this is the comedy and drama I like to see. And oh hey what an ending!

On a lighter note, the frog noises and banana peel gag were so on point. Very good.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Dec 16, 2014 1:06 PM

Sep 2014
I'm thinking Nanami saw something else instead of just Anthy and Akio together. It looked like Anthy was..."awakening" at the end there...maybe she saw her true form or something.

Anthy, just what are you? o_O
Jan 10, 2015 9:19 AM

Sep 2013
Ahh, first we got the typical Nanamicomedy, which was fine and all, but that ending was very interesting. To me it seemed like Anthy was raped by someone, probably Akio. But as usual, nothing in this show is as it seems, so I doubt it's that simple.
Jan 21, 2015 12:31 PM

Jul 2014
This episode was by far one of my favorites so far in the series. Just wow... I think I actually am starting to like Nanami a bit more, and this episode made me feel really bad for her.

Omfg, if this becomes a harem thing. XD The ending though was really interesting...
Mar 20, 2015 9:48 PM

Apr 2014
god let Anthy and Akio not be related, blood siblings having sex just doesn't sit well with me. well i guess it makes the story more interesting, or something..

hmm I wonder if Nanami is really not related to Touga, wonder how that happened
Apr 20, 2015 9:49 AM

Jun 2007
Nanami's face in the elevator screamed "can't unsee".
Aug 2, 2015 12:38 PM

Feb 2012
More Incest huh, Aiko is disgusting. Funny how the incest is is the most cringeworthy path even though a grown man is having sex with a minor. I dont care for sex in anime anyway so whatever.
IciBurnAug 2, 2015 12:44 PM
Oct 1, 2015 8:51 AM

Jul 2014
I didn't know it was possible to put GIFs inside picture frames.

4/5
Oct 12, 2015 1:36 PM
Nov 2010
Along with everything else going on in this episode, take a note of the statues during Utena and Nanami's talk in the fountain area after Nanami first visits the chairman's residence...
Feb 17, 2016 5:02 PM

Aug 2014
This is the first time i've seen a where a character is not excited and overwhelmed with joy over the revelation of the sibling that they're in love with not being related xD

Scumbag Akio.
Monopolizes all the ass available that he even has to cockblock a middle-schooler.
Jul 5, 2016 10:09 AM

Sep 2015
I think Utena's had some solid cliffhangers but that one easily takes the cake. Poor Nanami it's amazing how the series has effortlessly made her transition from loathsome villain, to object of mockery to now an object of sympathy. Nanami's biggest character trait all along has been her unshakable love for her brother Touga. So in this episode presumably to prep her for her ride in the car, Nanami's love gets a big old shaking.

First in a powerful recurring bit, she steals Touga's phone and is beset throughout the episode by lovesick phone calls from all the women he has thrown away. This along with all the Nanami spying on him scenes are meant to show her discovering her brother is not such a great person as she'd imagine. He plays around with girls feelings for fun, and she might be no different.

It's amazing like I said all this episode manages to do with Nanami's character. She's her normal rude insufferable self when telling off Touga's exes. But once the big reveal of the episode happens, that Nanami and Touga aren't related by blood, she's reduced to little more than a scared little girl. When she sinks so low as to ask charity from Mitsuru her lackey you can't help but feel a pang of sadness for her.

One of the things in this kind of silly plot development, you can't help but consider is that if they're not really related Nanami could now pursue Touga romantically seemingly what she's always wanted. But this seems to make her more uncomfortable than excited. Making the ending that much more interesting and even more gut wrenching for the character. The shot of Anthy ravaged lying before Akio is a disturbing one for us the viewer. We can only imagine Nanami's pain cowering in the elevator as the music crescendos into a to be continued.

I've heard this show gets even better right at the end. After that juicy ending I'm excited that it seems I'm getting to that part. Can't wait to see where this show goes next.
Dec 7, 2016 7:12 AM

Sep 2016
*image of a golf ball getting into the hole*
Akio: *talks about the rule 34 of the academy*

Am I imagining all of this?
-
The shadow girl from the black rose arc is back.
-
Oh, I think Nanami just got traumatized. I mean, even more than in the rest of the episode.
I think the plot is really getting somewhere now.
Dec 7, 2016 8:16 PM
Nov 2010
Kamidox said:
I mean, even more than in the rest of the episode.
I think the plot is really getting somewhere now.

Enjoy the ride :) The final 10 episodes just keep getting progressively more awesome...
Dec 30, 2016 9:59 PM

Oct 2012
I've wanted to deny that Akio x Anthy thing ever since it was hinted at from episodes prior, but NOW I CAN'T, ERRGHHH!

I really have no idea how blood type works genetically, so I was pretty much left in the dark until Nanami pieced it together for me, and therefore shocked to learn they're not related nearly the same time she figured it out!

Utena is painfully ignorant to all these weird developments going on, especially with Anthy and Akio. That CAN'T be Anthy's prince! MAYBE ANTHY IS WAITING FOR UTENA, HER PRINCE, TO RESCUE HER FROM THIS WEIRD AKIO RELATIONSHIP!!!

also, poor traumatized Nanami ;_;

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 30, 2016 10:02 PM

Oct 2015
@shoryu you are watching utena?! ironic bc I just finshed it a hour ago
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Dec 30, 2016 10:05 PM

Oct 2012
Gracey said:

The funny thing is that, I had this anime on-hold for two years at 7/39. On a whim, I noticed you were at 8/39 some time ago, so I thought I'd try to finish it before you and was basically racing you, secretly. I know I failed though, so this is the only victory I'll let slide into your favor :T

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 30, 2016 10:09 PM

Oct 2015
Shoryu said:
Gracey said:

The funny thing is that, I had this anime on-hold for two years at 7/39. On a whim, I noticed you were at 8/39 some time ago, so I thought I'd try to finish it before you and was basically racing you, secretly. I know I failed though, so this is the only victory I'll let slide into your favor :T

Yeah bow down to me~
The ending is just..........you will love it.
I love your stalkerish slave tendices for your master fufufu!
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

May 31, 2017 3:39 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Oh snap. I think the statue in 10:53 is based on the Abduction of a Sabine Woman. It's not the exact same pose, but I believe those are the subjects that the anime is conveying.

I'm guessing Akio is abducting all the women in the academy to do his bidding or whatever.

Dunno what the rest of them are, but I would love to know. Reply to my post if you do!
MistyBlueMay 31, 2017 3:53 PM
Jun 4, 2017 10:30 PM

Nov 2011
I never thought I'd feel bad for a borderline sociopath like Nanami, but that was downright brutal. What a punch to the gut. That sucks so much.

Hopefully she doesn't end up even more screwed up, but I can't see it going well one way or another. I could definitely feel the pain when she started riding that elevator.

And Anthy... I wasn't even thinking about Anthy so much at first since I had been kind of assuming this was going on for awhile now, but based on those facial expressions, there's no way she wanted that... That is so messed up on top of it already being messed up. Akio raped his underage sister.

That definitely explains Anthy's general lack of will. Her will has been stolen from her by her brother. I'm surprised she even has a will to live in a situation like that.

That seriously sucks.
Jul 2, 2017 4:00 AM

Dec 2014
Oh man, oh man, oh man!
Aug 15, 2017 1:15 PM

Apr 2015
Unlike modern-day incest plots in anime, when Nanami finds out that she and Touga aren't blood-related, she's actually disappointed! Holy shit. I miss old anime.

Anthy nonchalantly replying "Yes." to Utena asking if she sounded like a total mental case was hilarious.

And then the ending...my god, they've been subtle up until this point, and I wanted to doubt it, but yep. Akio and Anthy are boning. And Nanami walked in on them. She's either traumatized enough to not want to be anywhere near her brother again or lying in shock trying to deny how aroused she is. Guess we'll find out next episode.

Though I do fear that Anthy might not be consenting, based on that ending facial expression. :|
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 17, 2017 6:26 AM
Aug 2014
As soon as they started talking about blood types you knew Nanami and Touga would't be related as it wouldn't be incest that way, because you can't have that.

And I thought it was fairly obvious that Anthy and Akio were sleeping together since the first time we saw her take of her glasses when visiting her brother so I'm rather surprised at people being surprised by the ending.

So I thought the episode was fairly average.
Sep 11, 2017 3:02 AM

Jun 2013
I definitely didn't expect sexuality in SKU to get this scummy. It's not something I often see in anime, if ever.
Oct 8, 2017 8:31 PM

Apr 2016
All the build-up is really worth it. We've had hints of this show being darker than it looks, and I've been waiting for this kind of twist to appear, took it long enough. The music used in the final scene is really something.
Oct 31, 2017 11:06 AM

Jul 2011
Incest scene was shown first time some episodes back, briefly. This time Nanami saw it all...

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jan 7, 2018 2:07 PM

Jun 2015
It was so heavily implied, but fuck. Damn. poor Nanami.
Mar 15, 2018 1:05 PM

Jul 2016
Anthy even had her Rose Bride dress next to her, Ahio is a freaking psycho lmao.

Being Nanami is suffering. Really this episode was basically: "Let's fuck Nanami over", poor girl.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.