Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 17, 2009 6:22 AM

Jul 2007
Aionic said:

The first episode is still fan service rubbish no matter how I look at it. A throwaway villain, cameo appearances for all the main goodies

A throwaway "villain"(which only looks like that if you don't get the story) which was refferences more than once in manga and will most likely be shown again in certain flashback.

Where as I cared about her death in the first series because time was spent before killing her off, I felt nothing this time around. So, in short, the episode was neither faithful to the order of events in the manga or very good.

But you see, you don't need to care for Trisha-Mother. You care for brothers.
its about the same ammount we see her in these early flashbacks in manga.

The one to care about is Trisha-Wife during the Hohenheim flashback.

doing things like making Rose point her gun at Edward and shoot Al and having the priest turn into the hulk for a retarded filler battle. Why couldn't they just be faithful to the sodding manga

They were a lot more faithful to manga than FMA1 with its talking parrots, city chase, giant statues attacking Al copy, Ed in jail, the whole lior being in desert, Rose having brown skin, etc, etc,etc,etc...

It seems they just don't care about what was covered in the first series and are trying to get the early sections out of the way, damaging the story by rushing as they do so.

Oh geez, yet another "paaaciiiing" "rushiiing" complaint. its a meme already? Its going at the normal speed, without stretching out the stuff pointlessly(like fma1 did all the time)
May 17, 2009 7:24 AM

Feb 2009
@Aionic
- The first episode was a fanservice? FMA1 was a complete filler, much worst....

- They are damaging the story! WTF??? Damaging story is creating "parrots", "dragons" and a "weasel-Tucker"

Sorry, but if you dislike FMAB you dislike FullMetal Alchemist because the first serie was only a filler....
May 17, 2009 8:39 AM

Jun 2007
The first episode of FMA:B was awful. Random baddie and the entire episode was just a random cameo selection for FMA fans who knew who everyone was. It was needless. And, because of it, they will skip character introductions, allowing them to rush some more. It couldn't have started with a much worse or more pointless episode.

As for the first FMA having filler early on, that's because there wasn't much manga material to work with and they had to go down the original story path anyway at a certain point. So, instead of being 100% faithful where thry could, the anime team figured they'd change things so they could work in future plot points and add filler to make certain parts of the story more emotional. And, forced or not, the filler in the first series is the best filler ever, which is why it has such a high rating despite diverging fully from the source.

For example, I read the first volume of the manga yesterday and was surprised to see a mission that was tied into Edward becoming an alchemist in the anime (the train ride) and another that was used as Edward's first proper mission (the mines) were just dull missions to get the series started in the manga. The anime made small edits that improved the experience a lot early on. Not that this matters when it seems the train and mines missions are going to get skipped in FMA:B (?).

The whole purpose for this second season, besides money, was to animate the story that couldn't be animated first time around. It went without saying that filler in this series and rushing, not using as many of the panels from the manga as humanly possible, was going to result in a shitstorm of annoyed fans. There's just no point in this series if it isn't going to go head to head with the first series as a faithful adaptation.
May 17, 2009 8:49 AM

Apr 2009
I think, the main reason why there are criticisms in the first place is because there is too much comparison with the manga and with the first season. In my opinion, both, FMA1 and FMAB have their own forte.

I've never read the manga, so I can't really see it from the point of view of the others. But I think the FMA1 is nice in it's own way. I suppose the script writer for FMA1 interpreted the plot rather differently compared to the manga so the plot turned out differently and went to the darker side, which I found interesting. It tackled a lot of difficult issues about life and a lot more. I think the production and the story development were okay, except that it was fast paced. But still, I enjoyed it a lot and gave it a 10.

As for the FMAB it seems to have taken a comical turn, just like the manga as you say. I have nothing against that, in fact, I'm kinda enjoying it. As for the plot and story development, I can't really judge it since we're only at ep 6. As for the first ep., I actually found it exciting. Quite an excellent first episode to draw the viewers to watch the series. Though I think it wouldn't be enjoyable for those who don't have a background on FMA1 or manga.

Fai said:

Sapta said:

Btw, is Mustang going to be crappy & useless in FMA2, i.e, more like a comic character? If so, that can ruin the series for me.

Worry not about that.

Mustang is nearly at the top with the "Crowning Moment of Awesome" count, with Armstrongs, Ed and Al ranking nearby.

When compared to Manga!Mustang, FMA1 Mustang looks like FMA1!Al.

That's good to hear. I'm beginning to lose hope as to whether Mustang will be able to show off his cool side!
May 17, 2009 9:05 AM

Feb 2009
Aionic, I agree with you that the first series had a few material to work with, but that's the problem. They've changed all the main plot, only using the beggining and a few scenes from the manga. They should have waited to create the animation.
Please, if you wait a little more, or read the manga, you'll understand what we are trying to say. ^^
May 17, 2009 2:01 PM

Jun 2007
After not thinking a great deal of episodes 1-3, my opinion of the series has been raised by episodes 4-6.

Episode 4 could've been longer but one episode was long enough to fit in the Shou Tucker story. The twist at the end was as shocking as it was in the first anime, which means enough of Nina and Alexander was shown to make me feel depressed about what happened. I also liked Scar's introduction - seeing him own Gran like he did right at the start of the episode reminded me how great he is.

The only part of the episode I didn't like was the very end. I don't think Edward would be the sort of guy who'd leave Nina to her fate, not attempting to keep 'her' with him and instead leaving her with her evil father. In the first series it was much more believable how he used alchemy on the car taking her away...even though, now that I thinking about it, it'd odd he wasn't punished for attacking the car of an high ranking guy like Gran.

Episode 5 was pretty much an all action episode. Ed and Al ran from Scar, Scar almost killed Ed, Mustang stept up to take him on...only to be sweeped by his lower ranking 'girlfriend' like in the first series because he's "impotent" when it rains and then Armstrong took him on. An excellent episode that highighted once again how kickarse Scar is.

I got the rushing vibe again at the end, when Mustang gave a short explanation about Ishbal, but that's mainly because everything is happening so fast in comparson to the first series. It feels weird... If memory serves me, it wasn't until the 20's when Ed started looking into how the stone gets created in the first series.

Episode 6 was, once again, very good. I thought Marcoh was a filler character because he didn't get tied into the Scar introduction this time around but he took up a lot of time in the first part of this episode. It worked out the same way as it did in the first series, just much faster. I don't get why Lust waited until after he'd told Ed about the research this time around, or how she even knew where to find him (in the first series the information got leaked to her)... I suppose it doesn't really matter, though.

The second half of the episode covered Ed and Al's repairs, as well as Winry's proper introduction. It did feel a little rushed because it was squashed into half an episode but I didn't feel like anything was lost. I wasn't too hot on Winry's machinery excitement this time around - I liked how she wiggled her butt in the first series - and I didn't pick up on a EdxWinry vibe...nothing too huge irked me, though.

My complaints all lie with the opening three episodes, mainly the first. I would've much rather had the main goodies introduced as the story progressed... It feels like something is missing when Ed and Al know everyone already and don't need to see the characters introduce themselves. Basically, I'd like the series a hell of a lot more if the first episode has never happened. I also have issues covered elsewhere with the other two episodes, the second in particular, but those issues aren't as bothersome.

Anyway. My rating has gone from seven to eight. I'm now looking forward to seeing more episodes. :)

Random question: How do alchemists like Armstrong use alchemy when only one hand? My memory isn't clear. I get he has circles on his metal gloves but I don't get how hitting the ground with his knuckles results in alchemy because of that.
May 17, 2009 2:01 PM

Jun 2007
After not thinking a great deal of episodes 1-3, my opinion of the series has been raised by episodes 4-6.

Episode 4 could've been longer but one episode was long enough to fit in the Shou Tucker story. The twist at the end was as shocking as it was in the first anime, which means enough of Nina and Alexander was shown to make me feel depressed about what happened. I also liked Scar's introduction - seeing him own Gran like he did right at the start of the episode reminded me how great he is.

The only part of the episode I didn't like was the very end. I don't think Edward would be the sort of guy who'd leave Nina to her fate, not attempting to keep 'her' with him and instead leaving her with her evil father. In the first series it was much more believable how he used alchemy on the car taking her away...even though, now that I thinking about it, it'd odd he wasn't punished for attacking the car of an high ranking guy like Gran.

Episode 5 was pretty much an all action episode. Ed and Al ran from Scar, Scar almost killed Ed, Mustang stept up to take him on...only to be sweeped by his lower ranking 'girlfriend' like in the first series because he's "impotent" when it rains and then Armstrong took him on. An excellent episode that highighted once again how kickarse Scar is.

I got the rushing vibe again at the end, when Mustang gave a short explanation about Ishbal, but that's mainly because everything is happening so fast in comparson to the first series. It feels weird... If memory serves me, it wasn't until the 20's when Ed started looking into how the stone gets created in the first series.

Episode 6 was, once again, very good. I thought Marcoh was a filler character because he didn't get tied into the Scar introduction this time around but he took up a lot of time in the first part of this episode. It worked out the same way as it did in the first series, just much faster. I don't get why Lust waited until after he'd told Ed about the research this time around, or how she even knew where to find him (in the first series the information got leaked to her)... I suppose it doesn't really matter, though.

The second half of the episode covered Ed and Al's repairs, as well as Winry's proper introduction. It did feel a little rushed because it was squashed into half an episode but I didn't feel like anything was lost. I wasn't too hot on Winry's machinery excitement this time around - I liked how she wiggled her butt in the first series - and I didn't pick up on a EdxWinry vibe...nothing too huge irked me, though.

My complaints all lie with the opening three episodes, mainly the first. I would've much rather had the main goodies introduced as the story progressed... It feels like something is missing when Ed and Al know everyone already and don't need to see the characters introduce themselves. Basically, I'd like the series a hell of a lot more if the first episode has never happened. I also have issues covered elsewhere with the other two episodes, the second in particular, but those issues aren't as bothersome.

Anyway. My rating has gone from seven to eight. I'm now looking forward to seeing more episodes. :)

Random question: How do alchemists like Armstrong use alchemy when only one hand? My memory isn't clear. I get he has circles on his metal gloves but I don't get how hitting the ground with his knuckles results in alchemy because of that.
May 17, 2009 2:39 PM

Jul 2007
Aionic said:

The same way Mustang uses his alchemy.

The alchemy usually is made by alchemist touching the transmutation circle and performing the transmutation steps

Circle being on the gloves(knuckles in Armstrong case) he is always touching the transmutation circle, thus being able to transmute any time he wants. Basqua Grand used the same style knuckles.

Pretty much every combat-alchemist uses that trick.

As for Armstrong.

Its even easier - By making his knuckles contact with the ground, theoretically he "places" the material inside the circle for transmutation
AhenshihaelMay 17, 2009 4:51 PM
May 17, 2009 4:44 PM

Jun 2007
For some reason it never clicked in my head because the circles are shown on the top of the gloves. Because skin was touching the underside of the circle and not the top, my head was unable to comprehend something as simple as a hand just needing to be in contact with an object that has a circle on it.

I feel stupid for even asking now. Stupid is as stipid does, I guess.
May 17, 2009 5:38 PM

Aug 2007
Damn Fai you love FMA AB don't yea.

Honestly despite the fillers I loved the first series. Very emotional, and it had a lot of impact. Hell, when I found out it was a filler a few years ago I was like wtf holy shit. I couldn't tell the difference.

I can honestly say that FMA AB is doing a great job doing a true adaption to the manga. The pace is wow crazy, but nonetheless if you know the story already it shouldn't be much of a problem. As for comparing to the first series I think it's far too early. At least wait until FMA AB establishes a real difference in story between the first one besides being filler less. I personally feel that it's crazy to compare a filler filled anime with one true to the original story.
May 18, 2009 3:04 PM
Jun 2007
Being yet another of those who havn't read the manga and only watched the original anime version I can't help but to think it feels rushed.
Not because the version I watched was much slower but because it seems as if they expect everyone to allready know the story and just go "oh this is that sub-plot or part of the story". Then on the other hand if I wanted a more detailed version I could just watch the old version, I only hope that once we reach the split in manga/original anime the tempo will slow down a bit so there can be some actual storytelling. I feel not as much that I'm rewatching a series but just watching the recap episodes, you know the ones where they break the fourth wall at the start and comment about each other, usualu gets names like episode 7.5 or similar.

Another problem is that we are expected to know the characters from the go. Going by just the information given to us by the new version it's not easy to give good personality descriptions of the main cast.

On a possitive note it did the start much better. It has felt much smoother and not as much timeline jumping as the old one had.

I'm probably looking back at the old version with a bit of rose-tinted spectacles but for me its not as good as the old one, not yet at least. Whouldn't be fair to give it a final score untill its over but a weak start will probably leave its mark.
>>>---><) ) )*<----->
May 18, 2009 3:32 PM

Feb 2007
I mostly agree with the OP and what a lot some of you are saying.

It's better that they are cutting out a lot of the fillers in the original anime series. I am glad they are sticking closer to the manga, and as someone who has seen the original anime and read a lot of the manga I find the pacing adequate.

Though comparing them is fine, just.. Maybe wait a little bit? Or read the managa while you're waiting for the next episode to come out, so you can appreciate this series a little more.

I'm honestly pleasantly surprised with this anime. :)
May 18, 2009 5:40 PM

Jun 2008
I'll probably get some bad feedback for what i'm about to say but I don't really care.

First of all, the first series was WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY overrated, to be honest I never really liked it, then I decided to read the manga since the finale to the first anime was just rediculous and idiotic.

I was amazed to see just how the first anime butchered the plot, filled it with idiotic fillers, and was overall no where near as good as the manga.

I find it amazing actually, people HATE on anime like Naruto and Bleach because of the fillers, and the popularity they have gained, however FMA that almost reached the popularity of Naruto or Bleach, and filled its first anime attempt with fillers (no one apparently was aware of these fillers), was given rave reviews and incredible high ratings.

I think I'm like a lot of FMA fans, at first I thought the first anime was genious, then I read the manga, to my disgust I found out just how much they changed, and now I'm just thrilled that there is a remake that will follow the manga, hopefully won't have too many fillers, if any.
May 18, 2009 6:15 PM

Jan 2009
alexcampos said:

I think I'm like a lot of FMA fans, at first I thought the first anime was genious, then I read the manga, to my disgust I found out just how much they changed, and now I'm just thrilled that there is a remake that will follow the manga, hopefully won't have too many fillers, if any.

This is why FMA: Brotherhood will be better than the original series. The first run was great, but towards the end of the series, they deviated away from the plot, which was ok, but still not up to the genius of the manga.

Once FMA: Brotherhood starts treading into new territory and exploring the manga's storyling, I think that fans of the old series, who have not read the FMA, will realize how much superior the manga storyline is.

Let's just hope that FMA: Brotherhood continues being faithful to its source.

May 18, 2009 6:27 PM

Apr 2008
KuroNoMango said:
Festerman said:
Capellabun said:
I think the best thing for most people to do is to stop comparing this to the first series.

^ This.

May 18, 2009 6:34 PM
Oct 2008
I don't think seeing the manga storyline will automatically make everyone think that the manga storyline is superior. Regardless of what people say about the second half of the first series being filler, it was good filler and good storytelling. The reason people dislike the Bleach and Naruto filler is because most of it is useless, bad filler just fit in to pass the time till they get back to the main story.

Whether or not ones is superior to other is going to depend on the watcher. Some are going to like the FMA1 storyline better and that's fine. I personally like both but prefer the manga storyline, I however don't find it superior to the first series nor do I find the first series superior to the manga storyline.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.