Forum Settings
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 2, 2009 12:50 PM

Apr 2009
LucySky said:
Omegaoveride said:
url_elf said:

One thing I didn't like though - since when was Horo so cutesy? Somehow I remember her being slightly less, well, moe. Or is it just me?

We never really saw Horo's outright affections towards Lawrence through the story (so far). More than often we got bits of that "sexual tension" between the two with her teasing and her obvious jealousy towards Nola later on.

That was one of the things I liked most about the pairing. Hopefully the second season doesn't incorporate too much of these cutesy moments. *Fingers crossed*

True, I agree the atmosphere of the first series is what hooked me too. If it were to be more of the "love struck" girl ditsy moments the second series just wont have that chemistry any more.
May 2, 2009 12:59 PM

Apr 2009
I think it will be ok to have a little bit of this Horo in season 2....

But we still need this Horo....

May 2, 2009 1:44 PM

Oct 2008
Charliehsv said:
lupi_san said:
Am I the only one who didn't understand Nora and Horo's joke at the end? xD

They were talking about Lawrence and laughed at how he didn't realize what was going on at all :P

What does it mean to have an open heart when you're herding sheep? Does that mean Lawrence is the sheep, and that when "herding" him, Horo should be more forgiving?
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
- Robert Sewell
May 2, 2009 2:13 PM

Apr 2009
Liri said:
Charliehsv said:
lupi_san said:

They were talking about Lawrence and laughed at how he didn't realize what was going on at all :P

What does it mean to have an open heart when you're herding sheep? Does that mean Lawrence is the sheep, and that when "herding" him, Horo should be more forgiving?

Basically to have an open heart with a man.

Keep in mind that Horo is a wolf deity and not a woman. Since this OVA was more about her feelings about Lawrence she was asking "advice" from Nola.

Horo obviously senses Lawrence's attraction to Nola and wonders why he is seems to be so brain dead around her at times. "Shepherds" and "Sheep" was a reference to a woman attracting a man. Towards the end when Horo replies about shepherds thinking they are clever was Horo's "outing" Nola's intentions/feelings towards Lawrence. Hence why she was embarrassed when Lawrence came into the conversation.
May 2, 2009 2:27 PM

Apr 2009
I hadnt realized how much I've missed Horo(whom the guys at BSS annoyingly call Holo) till I watched this... now I cant wait for the second season.

I could do without the opening music though....
May 2, 2009 3:03 PM

Nov 2007
Good episode with Horo x Lawrence indeed.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
May 2, 2009 4:13 PM

Jun 2008
Asako said:
I just hope you call her Horo not Holo. Seeing groups call her Holo is depressing.

The thing is, that her official name is actually "Holo." As long as you don't pronounce it with an English L, but with a Japanese "[r/l]o" you get a good sounding name.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this first episode and can't wait for the second season. It's been awhile since I saw the original, but I don't believe they ever put Holo's love interest with Lawrence really out in the open like this; so it's definitely going to be interesting.

May 2, 2009 4:46 PM

Oct 2008
Ah good to see Holo again. Wasn't quite like the first season, but Spice and Wolf is really relaxing. I'm pretty hyped for season 2 now.
May 2, 2009 5:37 PM

Jan 2009
LucySky said:
I didn't mind the art as much as I thought I would. Horo felt a bit out of character at some points however. Obviously the whole love triangle thing was played up for the OVA but Horo's shy and blushing moments were a bit much at times. Still left a smile on my face and I'm hoping for something a little more substantial in season two.

I agree much with what you say. I think it was a tad different from the first season where in Horo's personality changed quite a bit into a more lovestruck harem girl than the clever smart wise wolf we all loved. Even Horo's speech tone differed, but that might be because of the atmosphere of this whole episode it brings out. The animation itself to me i believe has taken a decline along with subtle character designs from the previous season although that is to be expected knowing its being done by a different production company now. Thats a matter of preference though. I know this shouldn't be criticized to much knowing that this is more of a fun get-back-into episode having really nothing to do with the overall story. Hopefully by June when the new season starts they'll get back with the roots of what the first season did and hook us in like just like before.
makezh22May 2, 2009 5:44 PM
May 2, 2009 5:47 PM

Sep 2008
I like the "new" Horo better than the last one so I'm digging this
May 2, 2009 5:53 PM
Jul 2008
Good op for the second season, hopefully the 2nd season won't be a disappointment. Funny seeing Horo love struck to Lawrence
May 2, 2009 6:02 PM

May 2008
Ah. Like some other posters have commented, while watching, I thought it seemed like naked Horo got a lot of screen time, approaching the level of gratuity. This is not to say that it didn't make sense in its context of the dreams, but that it was presented in a manner that could engender that assessment. Also, agreed that it was heavier on the "cutesy" / "love struck ditsy" moments, resulting from Horo's antagonism towards Nora being foregrounded, which again is not to say that didn't make sense considering the goal of the episode -- to focus on downtime character relationships and build excitement for the season to come. However, it seemed like, in the first season, there was a bit more subtlety and a lot more cleverness in the way the relationships were presented.

Overall, this OVA seemed to have a quite different tone compared to the original series. It's not bad in its own right, but it doesn't feel the same as the first season. Hopefully, the second season will successfully mediate between the two, especially as Lawrence and Horo start traveling and trading again. I welcome romance and complications to it, but I could do without excessive cuteness and the focus on naked wolf deities
chicanerousMay 2, 2009 6:30 PM
May 2, 2009 6:34 PM

Oct 2007
Now it has became Spice-sheep and Tsun-wolf.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 2, 2009 7:18 PM

Nov 2007
Navarr said:

The thing is, that her official name is actually "Holo." As long as you don't pronounce it with an English L, but with a Japanese "[r/l]o" you get a good sounding name.

I know it is officially Holo, but since when do people care about official spellings with R/Ls? Use whichever is best, which in this case is R.
May 3, 2009 5:42 AM

Aug 2008
Damn this OVA left me wanting more Horo.
May 3, 2009 6:59 AM

Jan 2008
Omegaoveride said:
Liri said:
Charliehsv said:
lupi_san said:

Basically to have an open heart with a man.

Keep in mind that Horo is a wolf deity and not a woman. Since this OVA was more about her feelings about Lawrence she was asking "advice" from Nola.

Horo obviously senses Lawrence's attraction to Nola and wonders why he is seems to be so brain dead around her at times. "Shepherds" and "Sheep" was a reference to a woman attracting a man. Towards the end when Horo replies about shepherds thinking they are clever was Horo's "outing" Nola's intentions/feelings towards Lawrence. Hence why she was embarrassed when Lawrence came into the conversation.

Okay, that makes a bunch of sense. Now I know what happened at the end, and why that was how it ended up.

But am I the only one that was left wondering why Nola didn't take a step back after seeing Holo's ears?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
May 3, 2009 7:32 AM

Sep 2008
But am I the only one that was left wondering why Nola didn't take a step back after seeing Holo's ears?

Why would she? She knows that Horo is a wolf and has even seen her true form
May 3, 2009 10:20 AM

Jul 2007
damn holo was so cute! moar plz!
May 3, 2009 1:54 PM

Feb 2008
Hooray!
Horo's back! that was nice to watch. 8/10
Can't wait for the 2nd season.

BTW:

May 3, 2009 4:29 PM

Apr 2008
Well I watched it subbed now. There really wasn't much I didn't catch the first time around. I just wanted to reassure folks who don't want to much of a cutesy Horo in the second season that they have naught to fear. Without giving any spoilers I can say that the plot makes a ditsy character impossible. The plot wouldn't work unless Horo is the Horo we all know and love.
May 3, 2009 5:45 PM

Aug 2008
ahh...Horo....<3
We look forward to more of you~
May 3, 2009 6:40 PM

May 2007
Horo was so adorable in this episode. :)

Can't wait for the next season.
May 3, 2009 7:37 PM
Apr 2009
May 3, 2009 9:58 PM

Aug 2008
Lawrence's insightful facts about pathology left me doubting some parts ... Eat Apples! Can't go wrong with that one though ^^

De-JaY said:
Hooray!
Horo's back! that was nice to watch. 8/10
Can't wait for the 2nd season.

BTW:

Hah! You thought so too? xD
May 3, 2009 10:22 PM

Dec 2007
The music and animation was very good, and it’s nice to see Horo and Lawrence again. Having different studio won’t affect at me at all because Horo is the one of two reasons that I want to watch the OVA and Spice and Wolf II. I really can’t wait to watch the second season!
May 4, 2009 12:00 AM

Feb 2008
Nora moe.

Lawrence must be getting to me..
May 4, 2009 1:28 AM
Aug 2008
Well that was enjoyable.

The beginning intro music was like nails to a chalkboard to me though. I couldn't stand it at all. That was about my only complaint.

I'm surprised the animation resembles the first season so well, I expected it to be a lot different.

Horo is still fun to watch, I'll be looking forward to season 2 when it finally airs.

May 4, 2009 11:39 AM

Jan 2008
Mephz said:

Why would she? She knows that Horo is a wolf and has even seen her true form

Was that in the last episode of the first season? I'll have to rewatch that because I don't remember her knowing about Horo's true form.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
May 4, 2009 2:16 PM

Oct 2008
that was unimaginable sweet... ^^
May 4, 2009 9:05 PM
Apr 2008
hmm the dream of night and lawrance becoming a corpse bothered me the most tho
May 4, 2009 11:04 PM

May 2008
More Horo/Holo w/e is always good :D
May 5, 2009 2:53 AM

Feb 2008
I AM AMAZED :D

After reading some posts beforehand I expected a very "out of character" Horo with way too much moeness. But when I finally found the time to watch the OVA (several times) yesterday, I was squealing with glee. ^^

Horo was just marvelous. I couldnt stop smiling during the whole episode. So many hilarious and heartwarming moments. This made my week!
ARRRGGHH... how can Lawrence resist this permanent desire to hug her which I felt the whole time? He seems to be damn strong in controlling his feelings.

But most of all:

WHERE IS MY KISS? ;(

Why do they tease the audience that much? Thats so cruel! Or was I the only one who stopped breathing when Lawrence and Horo were about to kiss two times in one of the dream sequences. Seriously my heart was about to skip a beat. I was screaming "Give her a proper kiss you idiot", but apparently all they did was rubbing their noses. *sigh*

About the last conversation between Nora and Horo:

I understood that conversation a bit different. I dont think that Nora has special feelings for Lawrence. He is just a good business-friend:
From Horos perspective, Lawrence is a dumb sheep. Nora is used to herd sheeps, so for her its easy to come along with Lawrence. But Horo is a Wolf deity. So she needs advice from Nora how to deal with "a sheep".
When Horo gazes at Lawrence at the end of the conversation, Nora immediately understands, that Lawrence was refered to as "sheep" and that he was the reason for Horos question. Therefore both start laughing when he (stupidly) asks whats going on.

Arcadies said:
Cyberloard said:
hmm for some reason i think horo's pregnant

That line perked my interests. Where you getting that guess? LoL not I gotta go back and re-watch the end of the first season to see if there was something I missed.

Somehow I got the same Idea watching these scenes:
May 5, 2009 3:22 AM

May 2008
FTGT said:

Special Sickness --> Pregnancy? 0_0

Please no.
May 5, 2009 8:13 AM

Oct 2008
FTGT said:

Simply love, I think.
I rewatched it again and it looks like Horo is... in heat? lol
May 5, 2009 8:38 AM

Sep 2008
I think you are right, she is clearly in heat. Don't really see how people connected it with pregnancy though and those that did go study pregnancy and how it works
May 5, 2009 11:37 AM

Oct 2007
lol, people thought pregnancy, thats great. was a bit concerned about the intro music, but its good to see that it looks like they tried to hold up to s1
May 5, 2009 12:25 PM

Oct 2008
Huh, MAL changed character name from Horo to Holo... i'm waitning for Lawlence then -,-'
May 5, 2009 2:30 PM

Apr 2009
Corristo said:
Huh, MAL changed character name from Horo to Holo... i'm waitning for Lawlence then -,-'
They what? Oh you have got to be fuckin' kidding me...
May 5, 2009 10:06 PM

Sep 2008
yay horo!! well i do forget lawrence name, but i miss them
it was funny to see horo burning in jealousy, and then the 2 girls became friends
xant wait for S2, i do forgot that they were heading to the nort in the first place,but did horo said why did she needed to go??
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
May 6, 2009 12:59 AM

Oct 2008
Starting was a bit lame, but overall episode was alright considering it was an pretty much a promotional OVA ep. Really looking forward to the series now, this episode is working out greatly as a advert for the season coming up lol.

Gonna love S2. 7/10 for the OVA.
ManifestMay 6, 2009 1:05 AM
May 6, 2009 7:30 AM

Feb 2008
If I remember correctly, someone wanted this GIf:

Furthermore I have some questions regarding the different Translations of the OVA (BSS and Kurou). Maybe some of the people who understand japanese can help me with this:

1) At the beginning, what kind of sheep-story does Lawrence tell Nora? Has it to do with torture or with some kind of merchant business artifice that failes?

2) Which of these translations is correct?

3) Is Horo really somehow "confessing" to Lawrence or does the second translation (Kurou) come closer to the truth?
FTGTMay 6, 2009 7:41 AM
May 6, 2009 5:25 PM

Apr 2009
FTGT said:

Furthermore I have some questions regarding the different Translations of the OVA (BSS and Kurou). Maybe some of the people who understand japanese can help me with this:

1) At the beginning, what kind of sheep-story does Lawrence tell Nora? Has it to do with torture or with some kind of merchant business artifice that failes?

3) Is Horo really somehow "confessing" to Lawrence or does the second translation (Kurou) come closer to the truth?

Wow I would like to know the "real" translation now. The some what drastic difference between the translation will give me an indication on who to pick up when S2 airs.
May 7, 2009 7:05 PM

Jun 2008
Asako said:
Navarr said:

I know it is officially Holo, but since when do people care about official spellings with R/Ls? Use whichever is best, which in this case is R.

I do it by which one sounds like the name so Horo would be the right choice.

Why do they tease the audience that much? Thats so cruel! Or was I the only one who stopped breathing when Lawrence and Horo were about to kiss two times in one of the dream sequences. Seriously my heart was about to skip a beat. I was screaming "Give her a proper kiss you idiot", but apparently all they did was rubbing their noses. *sigh*

ok first addressing the fact you thought they were going to kiss rubbing noses is very intimate for most canines
2nd ... I dont know if hes slow or just stupid altogether
FTGT said:

I've watched BSS for a while and yeah I dont think they made any mistakes first based on my basic knowledge of the language second by the fact that theirs to fit what horo would say more. 3rd this is kurous first time subbing

I dont care what they translate names to because in america when you look for spice and wolf your going to have to look for wolf and spice. Not to mention there was a novel and her name would be translated to Horo and I dont think that could be that different... also I dont believe in translating names
OMG GUYS: http://myanimelist.net/character/7373/Holo the very top says Holo "Horo, The Wise"
sry for the long post didnt wanna double post
cloudsoraMay 7, 2009 7:19 PM
May 7, 2009 7:08 PM

Jan 2008
That was a really nice episode. Apparently Holo and Nola are the official spellings D:
May 8, 2009 1:46 AM

Apr 2009
aero said:
Apparently Holo and Nola are the official spellings D:
Can you elaborate a little further?
May 8, 2009 6:41 AM

Feb 2008
cloudsora said:

I've watched BSS for a while and yeah I dont think they made any mistakes...

You are right. BSS did the correct translation! I got the confirmation from other sources as well. ^^

@Alas86
If you follow this link you will find the wallpaper-section of the official S&W website:
http://www.spicy-wolf.com/special/wallpaper.html

If you scroll down, you will find at the bottom the "Christmas" wallpaper. The text on it says "Merry X'mas - From Holo and Lawrence".
May 8, 2009 8:04 AM

Apr 2008
Good episode.

I was worried about the art and music being different, but I'm glad that the music is still the same, the art has somewhat changed but it's still good ^^
May 9, 2009 12:44 AM

Feb 2009
It definitely had a different feel from the original series. Not sure exactly how to take it.

Though the best part of the episode, in my opinion, was how they played with her dreams. It was really nice how they transitioned into each other and then her waking up with tears. Nice touch.
May 9, 2009 11:31 PM

Jan 2009
Who's idea was to change the name to Holo ?! It sounds horrible. Even if it's official it still sucks :(

May 11, 2009 11:53 PM
Mar 2009
The only thing I didn't like about it was that Horo felt out of character sometimes but, then again, I haven't read the light novels, I am just going off the first season and the fact that she is thousands of years old.

Other than that, enjoyable episode. I don't care that nothing gets done because, well, I see this series as an entirely character interaction base so actually accomplishments only really work as sign posts for far the series has come. The second season looks really promising!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Original short story this OVA was based on was released in English this month

Triplicity - Dec 17, 2012

0 by Triplicity »»
Dec 17, 2012 3:56 AM

» when to watch?

Volkova - Jul 19, 2010

2 by ianiceboy »»
Aug 23, 2012 5:16 AM

» speculations

KaminaKai - Feb 3, 2009

12 by Moonfrost »»
Oct 17, 2009 7:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.