Forum Settings
Forums

Old Obsessions that now, looking back made you think how stupid you were.

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 27, 2009 6:21 PM

Aug 2007
Mari-chan said:
Barbie dolls.
Including the little houses.

This. I actually still have alot of collectable ones in storage. I don't regret being interested in them, I mean, I was a girl and all ^^ I just regret my parents going behind my back and throwing almost everything away just because they felt I was too old for toys (Im talking, like 11 here).

If they had done that with my Anime, I would have disowned them. They totally tried too. I threw a fit and got kicked out of my house. I was 18. Those were the days!

Apr 27, 2009 6:37 PM

May 2008
I actually had one Barbie doll when I was little.
And I was knowledgeably brainwashed about gender roles at that age, of like, maybe six or seven to be INCREDIBLY embarrassment and ashamed to want to own one. Wanting to own a Barbie doll felt about like wanting to wear a dress or something. I just knew it was supposed to be wrong.

But I wanted it anyway. And it being a guilty pleasure and desire may have made it a more exciting and deeper loved thing which gave it stronger deeper fondness for me. You ever notice how your guilty pleasures are often closest to your heart? Yeah, something like that.

In fact, I think I may have wanted to try and steal one. And it was at that point my parents bought it for me. I can remember feeling INCREDIBLY ashamed but incredibly enthralled at the same time. It's comparable to an adult who feels they have a sexual fetish which is absolutely repulsive and must do something in public to facilitate that fetish. I felt bad, like that what I was doing was comparable to running in the girl's bathroom or wearing a dress.

Looking back on it, I feel little shame. I in fact feel pretty awesome that I was that girly to want a girl's doll and that strong willed enough to have gone after that fantasy despite feeling so horrible about it. And I can see such things like that feeling as the groundroots for things such as my current, furious, unabashed attack and hatred of gender roles. The only thing I regret, is of all things, something so putrid as a Barbie was the doll I had to get? Surely there was something better out there. I guess kids are easily brainwashed by brand labels. How regrettable that it had to be a Barbie brand of all dolls.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 27, 2009 6:50 PM

Jun 2008
Runescape. That game was a time vampire.
I'm back.
Apr 27, 2009 7:00 PM

Jul 2008
BadLuckTuckxL said:
I used to be obsessed with SpongeBob. Then Lisa Frank. Now anime. GO ME I PHAIL AT LIFE!

Pssh, Lisa Frank is awesome.

I used to be completely absorbed with dinosaurs.
I haven't the slightest idea why, but when I was born 'till about 8 or 9, I thought about nothing but dinosaurs. ...What the hell was I thinking? I had dinosaur soap. I spent 10 bucks on bars of soap shaped like a Stegosaurus.
Apr 27, 2009 7:04 PM

Jan 2009
Sick_Bastard said:
Runescape. That game was a time vampire.
I second this. God I spent so much time just mining and smithing.>.< Instead of actually going out and fighting the damn monsters.
Apr 27, 2009 7:41 PM

Oct 2007
OMG... There was also that 2D POS called MapleStory, too!
blech..
Apr 27, 2009 7:46 PM

Feb 2009
BrokenCrowbar said:
I had a very brief obsession with sports.

LMFAO
StephanBlackhawk said:
Kimura said:
CCGs.

Fuck, how many hundreds of dollars did I spend on FUCKING PLAYING CARDS. And now they're all rotting in storage because they're not worth anything anymore.

sl;adfjklasdkfjlas;dkfj

I wasted like 400 bucks on Beyblade, that's like 890x worse then cards.

I liked beyblade,too.

Apr 27, 2009 8:04 PM

Dec 2007
AngelRayne said:
OMG... There was also that 2D POS called MapleStory, too!
blech..
I was lucky enough to get bored in a couple of weeks.

Nu-metal is the biggest one that comes to mind.

#NBHNC
Apr 27, 2009 8:20 PM

Aug 2008
Rub_my_Fanny said:
ukonkivi said:
And I was knowledgeably brainwashed about gender roles at that age, of like, maybe six or seven to be INCREDIBLY embarrassment and ashamed to want to own one. Wanting to own a Barbie doll felt about like wanting to wear a dress or something. I just knew it was supposed to be wrong.

But I wanted it anyway. And it being a guilty pleasure and desire may have made it a more exciting and deeper loved thing which gave it stronger deeper fondness for me. You ever notice how your guilty pleasures are often closest to your heart? Yeah, something like that.

In fact, I think I may have wanted to try and steal one. And it was at that point my parents bought it for me. I can remember feeling INCREDIBLY ashamed but incredibly enthralled at the same time. It's comparable to an adult who feels they have a sexual fetish which is absolutely repulsive and must do something in public to facilitate that fetish. I felt bad, like that what I was doing was comparable to running in the girl's bathroom or wearing a dress.

Looking back on it, I feel little shame. I in fact feel pretty awesome that I was that girly to want a girl's doll and that strong willed enough to have gone after that fantasy despite feeling so horrible about it. And I can see such things like that feeling as the groundroots for things such as my current, furious, unabashed attack and hatred of gender roles. The only thing I regret, is of all things, something so putrid as a Barbie was the doll I had to get? Surely there was something better out there. I guess kids are easily brainwashed by brand labels. How regrettable that it had to be a Barbie brand of all dolls.

So what are you? Gay or straight? Or bi?

Bi I think. He has a piss fetish though, so who knows.

I always use to like Green Day, my god I was sad (6th grade).

Don't you worry, I will look back and say I was such a fag for watching anime..little asian cartoons. Hopefully that day wont come.

Any rock band besides Blink 182.

Apr 27, 2009 8:29 PM

Dec 2008
Blink 182.

Ohhh boy.
Apr 27, 2009 8:32 PM

Mar 2008
I dont remember having any obsessions, just normal interests lol
Apr 27, 2009 8:38 PM

Apr 2008
^^ XD
(They're baaack.)

Anyway, I don't really obsess over things much, but...
I used to dress from Hot Topic.
My god.

While on the topic of obsessions, I tell this story to everyone.
One of my good friends used to be obsessed with dying her hair.
In one school year she went through pink, orange, blue and several other colors.
astronomicalApr 27, 2009 9:03 PM
Apr 27, 2009 8:40 PM

Jul 2008
Pokémon - I don't know why my parents let me waste all my money on those stupid cards.

Slap bracelets - I wasn't that great at putting them on and frequently slapped my arm over and over again to no avail. What was I thinking?

BEANIE BABIES.
WASTE OF MY LIFE AND MONEY.

BEGINNER
Apr 27, 2009 8:43 PM

Mar 2008
^^^^
OMG I love slap bracelets, they are fun to throw at things and other peoples arms XD

oh yeah same for the beanies, good thing it was more my moms obsession than my own >_<
Apr 27, 2009 9:26 PM

Jul 2008
Pokemon cards, I don't even know where my collection is anymore I wish I could see my old binder.
Apr 27, 2009 9:35 PM

Jul 2008
G.I Joe, Bravestarr, Go-Bots, Bonkers, and Puppet Master. I used to watch some horrible stuff.
Apr 27, 2009 9:54 PM

May 2008
Saito-sama said:
I used to be obsessed with my post count. I CAN'T GO BACK NOW.

hey, it is quite impressive.
Apr 27, 2009 9:57 PM

Apr 2007
Rub_my_Fanny said:
Legend said:
Neverender said:
Britney Spears

I KNEW YOU WERE A FAGGOT

old news

qq more
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2009 10:03 PM

Nov 2007
Embah said:

I used to be completely absorbed with dinosaurs.
I haven't the slightest idea why, but when I was born 'till about 8 or 9, I thought about nothing but dinosaurs. ...What the hell was I thinking? I had dinosaur soap. I spent 10 bucks on bars of soap shaped like a Stegosaurus.

You too eh? Except I got out of dinosaurs after like 1st grade.
Apr 27, 2009 10:57 PM

Dec 2007
Animorphs.

And dinossaurs, but that was epic, not stupid.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 27, 2009 11:55 PM

Feb 2008
ladyxzeus said:
dinossaurs, but that was epic, not stupid.

I thought I was the only one. I used to draw pictures of them and post them all over my wall as a little girl. I even made my parents by me a dinosaur printed matress for my bed. The Land Before Time was my favorite movie. Good times man, good times.
Apr 28, 2009 12:22 AM

Dec 2008
I played Final Fantasy XI for 4 years. But 'played' is really an understatement. I was fullblown addicted, because I was partly a fan of MMOs at the time but more so loved the fact that, because I spent so much time online per day, I was one of the stronger players and still had the time to socialize and meet hundreds of friends (probably the hook; I'm terribly shy when I'm not online, but ingame I was apparently one of the coolest people ever to them, almost 'famous' as a character) and I let that keep me playing. Oddly enough, my schoolwork didn't suffer or anything. I stayed up late nights and didn't sleep on weekends to play, but I did my homework and light studying while something low maintenance/boring was happening ingame.

Looking back on it, I'd say I spent about 10-12 hours per weekday in the game. The rest of the day was class and a very small amount of sleep. I took "break days" where I wasn't sick at all but I used the concept so I could try and cover up that I slept in from staying up so late to play, or because I was just feeling lazy that day and wanted to get the better EXP that Japanese groups offered. Weekends usually consisted of me getting home on Friday and marathoning the game nonstop from that night until midday Sunday where I would crash and sleep extra long, usually until it was time for class the next Monday.

Its silly, because I spent a ton of that time farming money to buy stuff making OTHERS enjoy their experience, but I think it made me a pretty giving person overall. I can't say being one of the absolute best players (even among Japanese rankings) on my server was worth it, nor was having every class except one at max level. It took me a very painful cold turkey experience to quit (I took all my super rare drops, one-time chance items, prestige relics [these weapons were only held by a few people each across the ENTIRE game... I had 4 to myself] and threw them out, most with no chance of recovering.. Left a few gifts for my online friends, gave out my money to strangers in town (it was almost Christmas anyway) and uninstalled immediately. I honestly felt broken for a few weeks afterwards.

I did calculate the real money I spent on that damn game awhile ago. I had to break my installation disks in half to quit for short periods of time, and again when I wanted to quit for good. So there was the years worth of monthly fees (I had 2 accounts to myself, and multiple chars on each account, and I had to pay for both) and all the rebuying of the game itself. I believe I spent somewhere around $1780 on just one game.

Pathetic, no? Sorry for the long post.
Apr 28, 2009 12:56 AM

Jul 2007
AngelRayne said:
Frequencity said:
I used to be obsessed with real women, but then I grew up and realized 2D is far superior.

Sarcastic much? :P

I'm pretty serious.

Apr 28, 2009 1:27 AM

Jan 2009
4 pages and no world of warcraft?

Apr 28, 2009 1:47 AM

Apr 2007
Frequencity said:
AngelRayne said:
Frequencity said:
I used to be obsessed with real women, but then I grew up and realized 2D is far superior.

Sarcastic much? :P

I'm pretty serious.

hi5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2009 1:51 AM

Aug 2008
I remember collecting pokemon shit when I was younger.

Fuck, how much money I spent on this...
Apr 28, 2009 1:58 AM

Apr 2009
Play-doh
O_o Jeez. I can't believe I asked my parents to buy me those expensive Play-doh sets before.

What bugs me is that I didn't even grow up to be good at sculpting.

Apr 28, 2009 2:23 AM

Jul 2008
I use to read two or three books a week.

Man I was such an idiot.
Apr 28, 2009 2:29 AM

Jan 2009
AngelRayne said:
k4m1 said:
naruto

This.

Failed at life when I actually bothered watching that show.

believe it!

Apr 28, 2009 2:45 AM

Apr 2009
Vagabond said:

Man I was such an idiot.

Umm. Yeah. It was really idiotic of you to read books. O__o

Apr 28, 2009 2:46 AM
Dec 2008
pink floyd.

not that they're bad, of course not. i still like lots of their stuff. but i thought they were the best thing ever for years before i actually bothered to truly dig deeper.
Apr 28, 2009 2:50 AM

Apr 2007
FLIPPO'S!

I cant think of anyone who wasn't crazy for these back 12 years ago.
Smiths must have sold an insane amount of chips back then.

Apr 28, 2009 3:12 AM

Jul 2008
I'm surprised no one has said Crocs. Are those smelly, fugly things still in style?
Apr 28, 2009 4:32 AM

Jun 2007
Pokemon cards. I had far too many of them. I have never actually sat down to work out how much I spent on them, because it would probably cause a mental breakdown.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Apr 28, 2009 4:57 AM

Jul 2008
Trying to peek up my kindergarten teacher's skirt. She used to always wear stockings and I'd rush to the front every time we had to sit on the floor.

Keke
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Apr 28, 2009 5:44 AM

Mar 2008
ukonkivi said:
And I was knowledgeably brainwashed about gender roles at that age, of like,.

SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS THAT BEING GAY IS NOT GENETIC YOU WERE BRAINWASHED BY A BARBIE DOLL

THAT IS WHY MY SISTER SPENT HER CHILDHOOD RIPPING THE HEAD OFF BARBIE DOLLS AND MAKING THE DECAPITATED CORPSES POSE IN SEXUAL WAYS NOT THAT THAT ANYTHING TO DO WITH BEING BRAINWASHED I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY FUNNY
Apr 28, 2009 6:16 AM

Feb 2005
Aeiou said:
Trying to peek up my kindergarten teacher's skirt. She used to always wear stockings and I'd rush to the front every time we had to sit on the floor.

Keke
Hardcore man, hardcore. Best obsession yet.

Oh, and Pogs, no one mentioned them yet I believe. I remember the wholøe schoolyard used to be full of brats playing, and me and my friends used to go around and steal shit. The trick was to "watch" someone play and when they looked away, you would quickly step on targeted itm, then pretend to fix your shoelaces or something and grab the target. My best loot was a shuriken shaped metal slammer. Those were the days.
And when pokemon cards entered, we used to "accidentally" run into brats with a lot of cards in their hands, so they scattered all over, and then "help" them gather them up, slipping any fancy cards into or pockets.

A wonder I didn't turn into a criminal really.
Apr 28, 2009 6:19 AM

Aug 2008
Vagabond said:

Man I was such an idiot.

Ha ha ha ha you use to read - nerd.

Apr 28, 2009 6:19 AM

May 2008
Legend said:
SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS THAT BEING GAY IS NOT GENETIC YOU WERE BRAINWASHED BY A BARBIE DOLL

THAT IS WHY MY SISTER SPENT HER CHILDHOOD RIPPING THE HEAD OFF BARBIE DOLLS AND MAKING THE DECAPITATED CORPSES POSE IN SEXUAL WAYS NOT THAT THAT ANYTHING TO DO WITH BEING BRAINWASHED I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY FUNNY

Allcaps ftw.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 28, 2009 6:23 AM

Aug 2008
Legend said:
ukonkivi said:
And I was knowledgeably brainwashed about gender roles at that age, of like,.

LOLS.

Apr 28, 2009 6:30 AM

Jul 2008
Drugs.
Apr 28, 2009 6:31 AM

Mar 2008
OZ31 said:
Drugs.

DRUGS ARE COOL THEY MAKE YOU POPULAR AND HAVE FRIENDS
Apr 28, 2009 6:32 AM

Feb 2009
Kimura said:
CCGs.

Fuck, how many hundreds of dollars did I spend on FUCKING PLAYING CARDS. And now they're all rotting in storage because they're not worth anything anymore.

sl;adfjklasdkfjlas;dkfj

I feel your pain man.
Instead of a thickness planner, and a jointer planner (the sort you'd find in a highschool shop class) I ended up with a box of Magic the Gathering at the close of the 90s.

And when I finally realized, 'this game is dead around my friends' all I could get for what 3 years earlier would have been worth 500 to start, was 100 in credit. Not even cash. So I decided, shit, 100 won't get me anything useful here, and I bought a complete set of Sailormoon cards (which are really just Pokemon cards with schoolgirls on them to a point).

Aside from that though, hmm well I used to get dressed up in military garb as a teen, and with buddies wander around local swamp land in over the top games of silly bugger. We carried around actual military issue firearms some days (this is before all the insanity of today where doing that would be unwise). Nothing like being caught by a local cop, crawling around the streets at night, while holding an M-16 :) Fortunately two of the gang were sons of a veteran provincial cop and the police all knew we were harmless idiots.

I used to be religious, and that sure is a stupid obsession.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 28, 2009 7:02 AM

Dec 2007
Concerning dinossaurs, I dressed up as dinossaur for Mardi Gras in fourth grade. I think it was all because of the collectible dinossaur magazines that my father collected for me...

I also had my thing for Pokemon TCG (that I called TGC) and incarnating wild animals. Also used to read one book per day and actually picked them on a library. Silly kid...
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 28, 2009 7:17 AM
Oct 2008
Sukunai said:
used to be religious, and that sure is a stupid obsession.

<3

for me:
idk. every obsession was worth it to some degree just for the experience and any benefits that came with it.
Apr 28, 2009 7:17 AM

Feb 2009
Beyblades for me.... meh
Apr 28, 2009 7:44 AM

Mar 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Concerning dinossaurs, I dressed up as dinossaur for Mardi Gras in fourth grade. I think it was all because of the collectible dinossaur magazines that my father collected for me...

THIS MAD ME CRY READING IT
Apr 28, 2009 7:49 AM

Mar 2009
OranSolus said:
Pokemon cards. I had far too many of them. I have never actually sat down to work out how much I spent on them, because it would probably cause a mental breakdown.

This. I'm still obsessed with alot of things, but I won't tell ya!
Apr 28, 2009 7:57 AM

Jul 2007
Pokemon cards, beanie babies, rocks, wolves, etc.
Most of them are just obviously retarded, but it's also how obsessed I was of them that added to that.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.