Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 28, 2015 8:45 AM

Jan 2013
Gendo has a strong affection for Rei, more than he probably should which is making Shinji a bit jealous.
Awkward situation between Rei and Shinji after falling on top of her in clumsy situation.

Shinji finally gets ready to pilot his Eva unit again, instantly gets shot by a new Angel.
Jul 10, 2015 12:14 AM

Jan 2014
Weird how Rei reacted in that ecchi scene.
She really isn't like other humans.
At least she has Shinji's father :)
Aug 2, 2015 7:37 PM

Jul 2015
Delusional girl. Liking Rei less. She needs to get out of her shell and be more open minded to others situations.
PrideAug 2, 2015 8:06 PM
Aug 5, 2015 5:52 PM

Aug 2015
It sure seems like Shinji's dad has a much more father-child relationship with Rei than he does with Shinji.... I wonder if that will cause some sort of conflict or resentment soon?

Awkward scene in Rei's apartment, and I thought it awfully strange that she didn't react to it much at all. In fact, she barely seemed to have much in the way of emotions at all. Rei obviously cares for the commander, and cherishes the pair of glasses he broke while saving her. Not to mention when she slapped Shinji for talking bad about his father. She's a weird one, so far.

Pretty intense ending! It's like the Angel knew exactly where the Eva was going to appear! ★ 4/5
Sep 3, 2015 4:35 PM
Dec 2014
Zuihou said:
I had to cringe a little inside when they decided to drop the classic "guy falls atop of girl and gropes her" cliche. Other than that, I feel like Shinji's dad treats Rei like his true child rather than Shinji himself. Rei slapping Shinji just goes to show her affection to his dad.
Not as much a cliche in 1995
Oct 12, 2015 9:40 PM

Apr 2014
Ah so Rei is the silent emotionless type, remaining completely straightfaced and so composed throughout the entire fanservice scene as if nothing had happened. The several instances where she displayed emotion this episode were all regarding Gendo, so it's evident she holds much affection for him, and he appears to care more for her than Shinji. I anticipate finding out more about Rei's past and why the two appear to care for each other so much. Did Rei suffer through an absolutely traumatic event that caused her to "kill" most of her emotions as a form of protection from future emotional trauma? If that's the case, then perhaps since that event it appeared to her that only Gendo truly acknowledged her as a person? What does Gendo see in her? Does she remind him of someone he once knew?

Wow so the waveform pattern of Angels are 99% similar to that of humans? Well now I'm eagerly anticipating where this plot thread will go. "Genesis" is in the title so I'm expecting a mindblowing revelation regarding humans and Angels.
ZeroDragonOct 12, 2015 9:46 PM
Nov 20, 2015 8:04 AM

Jan 2012
nice teamwork but she is so cold.

Nov 21, 2015 6:12 AM

Feb 2013
Rei is how I expected her to be, basically an emotionless zombie. Not really surprised since it seems like piloting these *robots* can really fuck you up in the head.

The fathers relationship with Rei is also a bit....odd, to say the least. In the first episode it didn't seem like he really cared about her at all, considering he was so willing to put her into battle when she was already badly injured. Kinda messed up he seems to care more about her then Shinji though.

Also dat ending, did not see that coming at all...
Shape430Nov 21, 2015 6:34 AM
Dec 3, 2015 12:37 PM

Nov 2012
Gendou seems to care about Rei?That's odd considering his "She isn't dead."comment in episode 1.

Rei seems to have a thing for Gendou.

Shinji talking shit about his dad and getting slapped from Rei (ayy Gundam vibes)
LostHanyou said:
Shinji should have slapped that bitch back :/
That would've been truly reminiscent of Gundam if it had happened xD
Dec 28, 2015 5:29 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

Rei finally gets some background... or not, because it was "erased".

Harem-king Shinji wrote the book on the awkward-after-shower-trip-accidental-boob-grab.

Also, THAT SLAP!

5/5

Next episode is one of my favorites, so I'm going to watch it now.
Feb 3, 2016 4:17 PM

Aug 2014
The fan-service in this episode is just awesome , Rei's Slap is also awesome .
Great Episode .
Aug 4, 2016 10:00 AM

Aug 2016
So even a show like this has unnecessary fan- service oh well it wasen't to bad.
I'm starting to think that those eva's are captured angels.
Can't wait to see more of Rei she has probably some fucked up backstory.

5/5
Sep 27, 2016 12:04 PM

Jan 2016
Really tempted to drop this shit
Oct 23, 2016 12:10 PM

Aug 2014
Looks like Rei is going to be one tough nut to crack.

That angel design though.
Nov 13, 2016 7:52 PM

Dec 2013
Grab her tits? Ok! Talk shit about Papa? Oh, that's a nono!
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 2, 2017 12:14 AM

Feb 2013
And Rei has finally been introduced. What a damn awkward way to meet her. Sees her naked and falls on her. Very typical anime situation but Rei's reaction was not. She didn't freak out or anything. Also Rei looks so God damn out of place in her class. She's got blue hair a red eyes, compared to her classmates who all have brown hair or normal hair colors. Hell, Shinji doesn't really look like a main character. This must be on purpose...

Also I think Rei doesn't really like that Shinji's father is paying a bit more attention to Shinji than her. It looks like she's a bit jealous. It also looks like Shinji's jealous of Rei being really close to his father. Also I wonder why he is so close to Rei? I thought Rei rarely smiled but we saw her smile multiple times. And everytime it was to Shinji's father.

Rei also has the voice I thought she would have. Very soft spoken and very reserved. Wasn't she like the original kuudere or something like that? Maybe she started the archetype? I don't know know. She also slapped Shinji when he said something negative about his dad. Hmmm. Maybe a bit too close...
Nano1124Jan 2, 2017 12:18 AM
Jan 2, 2017 4:06 AM

Dec 2015
@Nano1124 Rei's "actress" is pretty good whatever kind of role she plays (adult Faye Valentine, screaming Line Inverse or Ranma-chan, etc)
Ayanami Rei is probably not the birth of the closed/calm/secret girl archetype but the character refined it and lead (sadly) to a burst of more-or-less exact clones of her (up to the style/colour of hairs). Not a surprise, because sex, I mean Rei sells (not that the two are totally strangers to each other...). She was/is kind of the mascott of her show.
In the same way, Asuka lead to a more prominent rise of "abusive" energetic girls, though I saw herself like an interesting progression on (Fushigi no Umi no) Nadia.
But those characters were going above that. Something their imitators don't (or at least rarely). Also, at that time, I doubt there were bizarre construction names to designate characters templates. The two girls due to their massive popularity triggered the boom and the characters became "fans" sources of fantasm (especially Rei, with her "puppet" trait), Gainax sure surfed on it too. At the end of the road, you have Anno Hideaki re-taking over his creation and depicting overexaggerated versions of them in the second Shin Evangelion (at least for me), exacerbating the traits fans loved (or fans illusions) to a despicable degree (again, in my stucked opinion).

As for the ideas behind her, after watching the first Gundam saga, I would be tempted to say that her maker kind of mixed two iconic characters from the second and third Gundam series to make her. (with one of them also sharing maybe a thing with Asuka)

An interesting article to read: The legacy of Rei. Spoilers about the series (even the end).

================
@ErnaGhoul You should spare your time then. ^^"
================
@laviha It was all about the character, this episode. There will be some bits of story given here and there (if I call the "big mysterious monsters attacking the capital while the commandant of the counter-force and others are plotting... something" the story) regularly enough, but not always through texts/dialogs: a lot is infered (through direction, cuts, characters expression or acts, whatever, I think you got it). Of course, there is still relatively exciting action for the (almost) weekly fights since the makers were fans of this kind of series too. BUT... Be aware that the focus on characters, present from the beginning, will increasingly take over the rest of the show until it takes fully over.
If you came to this show because of Geass, you can be assured they have nothing in common apart from the use of "robots".

@CodeBlazeFate Not sure if I explained it well enough for this "poor lost soul" ? (lavi, don't take it as an insult, it's a joke)
Rei_IIIFeb 9, 2019 11:56 PM
Jan 11, 2017 6:17 PM

Sep 2015
Rei is one of those super expressionless girls. :0

She didn't even react to the slip up at her place but she did when Shinji was like saying he didn't trust his dad with a slap.
Apr 25, 2017 3:43 AM

Jun 2016
I kinda know, that Rei is the character, that pretty much started the "emotionless girl" thing, and I really can't wait to find out more about her.

Shinji is getting less and less annoying for me aswell. And that ending. Wow. The way the angel basically ripped a whole building apart had me going O___O

Sep 3, 2017 4:57 AM

Nov 2016
Oh lol, the classical boob grab xD

Rei is a mysterious character, will be interesting to learn more about her and I also want to know why Shinjis dad cares so much about her.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 24, 2017 7:47 PM

Jul 2013
So Rei has a thing with Shinji's father? Seems weird to me
Nov 20, 2017 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'm re-watching this for the first time in a few years and all I can think to myself is, "Wow, Gendo is such a dick." Lol.
Jan 2, 2018 3:54 AM
Aug 2011
First time watching this series, Gendo really is an ass but clearly not where Rei is concerned. The awkward scene was over done and Shinji getting slapped for the truth :o looking forward to seeing the character progression.
Jan 20, 2018 2:16 PM

Apr 2015
If the pilot being mentally unstable can fuck with the EVA operation, but they have to use 14-year-olds...well, this situation's never going to work out. 14-year-olds are naturally not that mentally stable, but putting them into a giant robot war on top of it? And then cherrypicking the one with daddy issues?

In the dubbed Platinum version, Shinji mutters "Bullshit!" when he hears that his father burnt his hand rescuing Rei, but the line has a poor, unenthusiastic delivery. On the original release (and the subtitles) the line was just "My father did that?", which I think works much better.

Shinji bursting into Rei's room, putting on her broken glasses, and then falling on top of her while she's naked...not the best of first impressions. And I definitely saw a nipple for a split second. That's not PG-13!
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 16, 2018 4:16 PM

Mar 2016
Honestly, I am pretty pissed at Gendou for caring more about Rei than Shinji. At least say that Shinji did a good job to him after he saved the city! (I doubt that Shinji will just accept it though)

That scene is awkward! A near-emotionless (kuudere) naked with her oppai being grabbed by the shy main character. I wouldn't call that chliche because I do not expect there to be as many scenes like this back then. I want to know about Rei, very interesting character. Besides, she's one of the earliest kuudere!
Feb 26, 2018 2:59 AM

Sep 2017
This has to be one of the best episodes of Eva ever. The background music, the sound effects are all on point. At each scene, whether it be the dining table discussion or the Command center or inside the Eva, all of the voice is directional. Like, if you take any scene, the speech comes from exactly the direction it is supposed to come from. I may not have noticed this in other episodes, but I sure did with this one.

I particularly liked the command heavy environment inside the NERV center. So much commands were made and I liked each and every one of them, as they were in the background. I am waiting for the fight next episode to see how it evolves.

BTW, I am totally okay with Rei and Shinji becoming an item.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 6, 2018 10:06 PM

Feb 2018
Both Rei and Commander Ikari look like completely different persons while talking to each other. They actually look human.

The instant food scene was hilarious, poor Shinji, living like that.

Aaaand back to robot Rei while interacting with Shinji, she is really unbearable.
Aug 24, 2018 1:37 AM

Feb 2017
HOW CAN SHE SLAP!?
Dec 4, 2018 12:46 PM

Aug 2016
Ok, somebody tell me what that pinguin is all about? I forgot it existed. And she feed hm with curry and beer in can, geez.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2018 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad episode. The ending was intense.

Dec 14, 2018 12:53 PM

Dec 2018
Another episode that could be trimmed down to 5 minutes and accomplish everything it set out to do.

I sincerely hope a gamma ray burst shows up and vaporizes everyone in this universe
Jan 9, 2019 6:36 PM
Jan 2019
Nothing really happens here, but it's a good start point for developing Rei. Also the interaction of the 2 pilots and how they should be as partners
Jan 27, 2019 9:11 AM

Jan 2015
This anime is so boring I wonder if it becomes better.
Feb 5, 2019 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Is the story kind of boring or am I too stupid to understand the story better?

Wow the person above me said the same thing
Feb 10, 2019 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
Rei366 said:
@Nano1124 Rei's "actress" is pretty good whatever kind of role she plays (adult Faye Valentine, screaming Line Inverse or Ranma-chan, etc)
Ayanami Rei is probably not the birth of the closed/calm/secret girl archetype but the character refined it and lead (sadly) to a burst of more-or-less exact clones of her (up to the style/colour of hairs). Not a surprise, because sex, I mean Rei sells (not that the two are totally strangers to each other...). She was/is kind of the mascott of her show.
In the same way, Asuka lead to a more prominent rise of "abusive" energetic girls, though I saw herself like an interesting progression on (Fushigi no Umi no) Nadia.
But those characters were going above that. Something their imitators don't (or at least rarely). Also, at that time, I doubt there were bizarre construction names to designate characters templates. The two girls due to their massive popularity triggered the boom and the characters became "fans" sources of fantasm (especially Rei, with her "puppet" trait), Gainax sure surfed on it too. At the end of the road, you have Anno Hideaki re-taking over his creation and depicting overexaggerated versions of them in the second Shin Evangelion (at least for me), exacerbating the traits fans loved (or fans illusions) to a despicable degree (again, in my stucked opinion).

As for the ideas behind her, after watching the first Gundam saga, I would be tempted to say that her maker kind of mixed two iconic characters from the second and third Gundam series to make her. (with one of them also sharing maybe a thing with Asuka)

An interesting article to read: The legacy of Rei. Spoilers about the series (even the end).

================
@ErnaGhoul You should spare your time then. ^^"
================
@laviha It was all about the character, this episode. There will be some bits of story given here and there (if I call the "big mysterious monsters attacking the capital while the commandant of the counter-force and others are plotting... something" the story) regularly enough, but not always through texts/dialogs: a lot is infered (through direction, cuts, characters expression or acts, whatever, I think you got it). Of course, there is still relatively exciting action for the (almost) weekly fights since the makers were fans of this kind of series too. BUT... Be aware that the focus on characters, present from the beginning, will increasingly take over the rest of the show until it takes fully over.
If you came to this show because of Geass, you can be assured they have nothing in common apart from the use of "robots".

@CodeBlazeFate Not sure if I explained it well enough for this "poor lost soul" ? (lavi, don't take it as an insult, it's a joke)

I didn't come to watch this show for geass honestly
Apr 22, 2019 6:14 AM

May 2016
That moment where Rei walked in on Shinji after she took a shower and ended up getting her boob grabbed by an ever-stuttering Shinji after a happy little accident that also involved her underwear flying all over the place was already awkward enough but Shinji trying to talk to her at the escalator to no avail was even more awkward.

I think that it's a bit unfair that Rei gets treated more like a daughter by Ikari than his actual son and how she has a father figure to adore in him but her affection for the commander did help her get a hang of recalibrating the Unit 00 Eva.

As if Shinji didn't go through enough trouble already... No fair with that spawn kill, angel.

May 15, 2019 7:48 PM
Apr 2016
Okay, I officially fucking hate Rei, what a bitch, she had no right to slap Shinji. His father had abandoned him for a long time, acts cold toward his son, obviously he would lose all his trust for his father, yet the bitch acted as if he's a fucking saint.
Jun 28, 2019 5:59 PM

Aug 2007
Because Netflix I am rewatching this series. Long, long really long time ago I watched this anime. I can remember important things. Basically why Gendo react like that when saving Rei. Rei emotionless, etc.
Jun 29, 2019 1:52 AM

Jul 2009
I remember this scene! One of the first scenes where the so called "accident" just happened out of nowhere. I didn't understand that much when I was a kid, but I did remembered that exact scene where Shinji touched Rei's bosom just like that.

Seems Gendo has more feelings to Rei compared to Shinji. Same thing with Rei. That's why she bitch slap Shinji for bad mouthing his father.

Next episode gonna be crazy!
Jul 26, 2019 9:36 PM

Jun 2015
wow what a shit dad, he cares more for rei more than his own son
Oct 5, 2019 4:25 AM

Oct 2012
"Chigau yo"
Somehow I recalled Megumi Ogata's other role "SORE WA CHIGAU YO"

Shinji can't even escape anime cliche :P

I actually saw a background character looks like Kuwabara when Rei & Shinji cross the road xD

Well that was a nice opening fight, Shinji's EVA is already critically injured
I guess you can say he was "flying to the moon" or heaven :P
"Signature removed"
Oct 28, 2019 2:34 PM

Sep 2011
That scene was really awkward, at least Shinji got the chance to enjoy the moment. So Rei is very fond of Shinji's father. I wonder if it's just because he saved her.
Feb 12, 2020 8:05 AM
Feb 2018
Rei clearly likes Shinji's dad. What kinda Angel is that??
Apr 4, 2020 6:38 AM

Dec 2019
I want to learn more about the relation ship between Shinjis dad and Rei, damn Shinji got sniped by that Angel holy moly.
                                                         🖤   

Jul 11, 2020 6:38 PM

Feb 2020
shinji sure is having a rough time, kid really can't catch a break

quick q: are the eva units sentient? at first i thought their entire control was down to the neural connections between the unit and the pilot but i keep getting this feeling. i might be totally wrong, which is cool, or maybe i'm right, which is also cool

i love love love the animation and art, especially of the backgrounds, which are so detailed!! obsessed

and of course, what would any anime be without naked girls and boobs (i'm totally rolling my eyes here if it wasn't obvious). is everyone who makes anime a horny teenager
Aug 27, 2020 8:13 AM
Jun 2016
I'm glad Toji and Kensuke are now chummier with Shinji. I haven't made a comment on this anime, yet. So might as well start. I guess Toji is just emotional, but I don't really get him punching Shinji in an earlier episode. If it wasn't for Shinji getting in the robot, then there'd be more casualties. I guess maybe there could have been a "better" pilot than him, but I'm sure the show will eventually reveal why it had to be him.

Wow, Rei simply just doesn't care. Well, she does care a bit. She didn't slap Shinji during the "fan-service" part, but she did when he said that he didn't have faith in his own father.
Sep 1, 2020 3:35 PM

Jan 2019
Lmao he was so flustered taking forever to respond but I guess when ur a kid unexposed to much in that aspect its not too abnormal. Res on the other hand is not adept at being a normal human with social skills and sees shinji's father as some savior and is obsessed with him and nothing else... kinda eerie. Hope she doesn't get upset that shinji is used more and wants to be useful or something to shinji's father...
candies:

Sep 26, 2020 5:44 AM

Apr 2020
I thought I saw Kuwabara Kazuma at 16:50 lmao.

Woah! Shinji just shot real bad as son as he come up surface.
Good to see him sane inside it though.
--AbiSa--
Oct 8, 2020 5:29 AM

Aug 2018
Wow Shinji is like one of those super lucky by accident Harem anime protagonists.

Great episode tho, Rei seems like a very interesting character
Oct 27, 2020 10:52 PM

Dec 2012
22 days ago.
Dat Eva.
Its going crazy.
Dat punch. Gendo aint flinch.
Gendo running to Rei.
Rei is the first child.
Dead body.
Shinji. Misato.
99.89% match of human genes?
Dem hands.
Dem swimsuits.
Toji and Kensuke are men of culture.
lol at Pen Pen.
Rei's place.
Blood on the pillow.
Shinji puts on Gendo's glasses.
Rei naked coming out the shower.
Bra and pantsu.
Shinji on top of Rei. He can see it all.
Hand on the oppai.
lol She left.
Dat slap.
Success.
Dat Angel.
Oh shit! Dat beam.
Dat ending.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

70 by darrenduckyyy »»
Apr 21, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

264 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 21, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

194 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 19, 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.