Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 23, 2009 3:23 PM

Mar 2007
This is what a lot of dub fans are saying. Supposedly, an Anime director said this too. I don't get it. I have no problems when watching my Anime subbed. So, to all other sub fans, do you have any problems? Do you have to rewind a lot? Do you feel like your missing out on something or that the subs are in the way? Only time I rewind is because I thought something was really funny or awsome. I'll pause it if two characters are talking at the same time, but thats about it.
kirAth-shiAueApr 23, 2009 3:28 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2009 3:25 PM

Apr 2008
Some people say "Anime should be watch in Japanese."
I'm going to keep 'reading' anime until I get better in Japanese.
I only watch dubs if I like them (more), and that's pretty rare.
Apr 23, 2009 3:28 PM

Feb 2009
I never feel like I'm missing something and if I do happen to miss something i can always go back or pause. I like Japanese the best but some dubs are really good.
Apr 23, 2009 3:29 PM

Jul 2007
kirAth-shiAue said:
This is what a lot of dub fans are saying. Supposedly, an Anime director said this too. I don't get it. I have no problems when watching my Anime subbed. So, to all other sub fans, do you have any problems? Do you have to rewind a lot? Do you feel like your missing out on something or that the subs are in the way? Only time I rewind is because I thought something was really funny or awsome. I'll pause if two characters are talking at the sametime, but thats about it.

Subs require you look at the images, listen to the dialogue and translate it by reading the subs. Dubs remove the translation part so your brain does less work, and at two in the morning, that's a good thing if you don't want to fall asleep watching your anime.

People who think anime should be watched in Japanese should learn Japanese. You're still watching anime in English if you need a translation.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 23, 2009 3:31 PM

Dec 2007
You people are just not used to reading subtitles. It does not require any attention at all.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 23, 2009 3:42 PM

Apr 2009
I usually just stick to watching subs. imho the voice acting is better 99% of the time. I usually don't need to rewind unless i space for a second and miss what i was supposed to be reading. As far as missing out on anything goes i don't feel like that at all, sometimes the subbing is phrased awkwardly but other than that it's all good.

Apr 23, 2009 3:43 PM

Apr 2008
ladyxzeus said:
You people are just not used to reading subtitles. It does not require any attention at all.
I agree, but I'd like to not have to read them.
Apr 23, 2009 3:43 PM
May 2008
Maybe if dubbers didn't suck and they didn't edit out important parts of anime just because of some blood or nudity( they rate it R for a god damn reason) maybe if wouldn't be such a big deal. Until dubbers stop being retarded I'll watch my subbed anime. That's the way I prefer it, it isn't hard to get used to it.
Apr 23, 2009 3:52 PM

Jun 2008
I have no problem with reading subtitles and watching at the same time. I am used to it. And if I miss something, I can always just go back a little and reread it.
Apr 23, 2009 3:53 PM

Nov 2006
i've actually become so reliant on reading subtitles that i sometimes have problems watching things in english because there are none. lol. :(
Apr 23, 2009 3:54 PM

Dec 2007
astronomical said:
ladyxzeus said:
I agree, but I'd like to not have to read them.

The thing is that after my whole existence reading subs, I simply assimilate them. It's like this with everyone else I know. So much that if the subs are in a less used language (namely Spanish, the other subs I pirate a lot) people freak out, say they hate it and that they can't read it. When things are dubbed or made in our language, people freak out because "it sounds so weird".

So, for me, subs seem really slow. Stopping to read a sub is something that has never crossed my mind before and I'm amused there are people that do that. Focusing to read a sub is something that I find amazing, it's like you need to focus to listen to something. It's just so natural and I feel that people from countries that don't dub their movies will also agree with me.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 23, 2009 3:55 PM

Apr 2009
I have no problem with reading subtitles. They never really require extra attention for me to read. Plus, I usually hate the voice acting of dubs and how they edit things out. :|.
Apr 23, 2009 4:03 PM

Jul 2007
Subtitles take like, a second to read. It's not difficult. Also, anime rarely has THAT much animation anyway. Might as well be reading the damn thing.
Apr 23, 2009 4:08 PM
May 2008
windy said:
i've actually become so reliant on reading subtitles that i sometimes have problems watching things in english because there are none. lol. :(

Actually the same with me >_> <_< oh well.
Apr 23, 2009 4:19 PM

Feb 2008
windy said:
Similarly, watching something with subtitles in a language you don't understand and audio you do understand makes for an interesting experience.

I can understand a lot of simple sentences in Japanese these days so I'm actually watching a little bit more of the animation and focusing less on the subtitles. They are kind of distracting but I prefer original versions wherever possible.
Apr 23, 2009 4:23 PM

Sep 2008
kuroshiroi said:
Similarly, watching something with subtitles in a language you don't understand and audio you do understand makes for an interesting experience.

Indeed, that's how I've come to learn a little Japanese as well. After hearing certain words, phrases, expressions, over and over you end up at some point were you just happen to pick up on stuff without even reading bits of the subs.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Apr 23, 2009 4:34 PM

Jul 2008
I train my eyes to not SOLELY focus on the text, therefore not missing out on anything.
I love to read anyways so... ho hum.
Apr 23, 2009 4:43 PM

Jan 2008
This is the exact attitude that leads to American remakes, and we all know what happens after that.
Apr 23, 2009 4:48 PM

Mar 2007
Thanks for the great replies. I just couldn't understand why they would say something like that. People really shouldn't say something if they don't know what they're talking about. If any dub fans are reading this topic, please reply. I would like to know why your opinions as well.

Anyways, I did have problems when first watching subs(no big deal), but now I'm more used to them. It's not that hard. Good thing, because I prefer subs over dubs.
Apr 23, 2009 4:50 PM

Jun 2008
Problem with subs is that now I would be focusing on the words more than the actual animation. This applies to movies or any form of media, really. I tend to focus on the words rather than the movements, and only by turning it off, say like in movies, would I actually focus on the movie with entirety.

But regarding this topic; watching and reading are simply the most basic combination of multi-tasking. I mean, I'd probably apply thinking as well, to some of the titles as I try to figure out what's going to happen next. There's really nothing wrong with it, imo. It's constantly being applied everywhere we go. Like say movie posters and advertisements, or picture books, just to name a few.
Apr 23, 2009 6:10 PM

Feb 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Exactly. I read subtitles just as well as I listen to lines.

The problem is that the English speaking voice actors they get for anime dubs are most commonly terribly terrible actors. Not being fluent in Japanese, I can't say the voice actors are better or than ours, but it's definitely not as jarring.
Apr 23, 2009 6:18 PM

Apr 2009
After even the slightest amount of practice, reading subs becomes (almost) as easy as listening. Besides, the subs are generally more accurate and the dub generally sounds much worse than the original voice actors.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Apr 23, 2009 6:53 PM

Feb 2009
I prefer my anime unaltered for the most part.

That likely means I want the version that aired in the first place, not what someone in North America considers acceptable.

Yeah reading subs is not easy. No on is going to say it is.
It's also not easy enduring bad dubs either.
I'm still scarred from season 3 of Sailormoon.

It's ok to listen to dubs, but there's always the suspicion something will be missing.

And when it comes to patience, nah, not interested. Give it to me subbed and now not in a years time, if ever.

There is no reason to think a subbed show will magically show up as a dvd and dubed eh. I've watched shows in sub I have never seen show up on dvd.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 23, 2009 7:00 PM

Jan 2008
I like my subs.

I'll watch dub when i'm deaf.

Banner made by suikka
Apr 23, 2009 7:37 PM

Oct 2007
No

I just speed read
Apr 23, 2009 7:43 PM

Oct 2007
Being a lover of both dubs and subs I will have to step in.

I will say it takes some time to get adjusted to reading subs. When I first watched subs I had to rewind to catch things I missed but this goes away with time. Now it's not a problem for me.

I don't 100% agree that anime should only be watched. However, I believe that you can miss some subtleties in the shows by paying more attention to the subtitles. Sure you can see plenty of things in your periphery (vision) and know what is happening but that does not change the fact that when you are dependent on subtitles you focus more on that.

Heck, you can do that just by focusing on one part of the screen or a certain object. It's only natural. I think that's half the reason why people say anime should be watched. That's probably part of the reason Miyazaki said what he said.

I also find it annoying that people only assume that it should only be watched dubbed. The "ideal" way of watching anime would be raw. So in a sense, anime should be watched. However, there are the language barriers so unless one is fluent in Japanese or just doesn't care we are still missing something. I don't think one can blame all the dub fans for this mind frame. Visually, unless the anime is edited dub watchers are watching what the Japanese watched.

Personally, if I had to have an ideal system of watching, I'd watch it raw, then subbed, then dubbed to pick up on anything I didn't catch the first two times.

Usually, I watch something subbed or dubbed and eventually switch up and watch the other for a different perspective. This way I don't see me losing anything.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
Apr 23, 2009 7:43 PM

Jan 2008
I myself am a sub fan. Mostly because nine times out of ten the voice acting is better in Japanese then it is in English.

Although I think I do see where people are coming from when they say "anime should be watched not read." I think adding subs in a sense can take away from scenes and makes it harder to be completely immersed in the show. In a sense it takes away from how realistic everything looks. If you were actually there at any particular scene in a show you wouldn't be seeing subtitles. But on the contrary one can argue that dubbing shows in a language other the original also takes away from the quality and realism of a show.

My final say would have to be that both subs and dubs have they're ups and downs. I think in the end it comes down to preference.
Apr 23, 2009 8:52 PM

Mar 2009
I generally prefer dubs for the reason that I'll get spoken English automatically without missing any of the action on screen. There are a few dubs I won't tolerate to be sure, some dubs are just too bad to listen to (like Fantastic Children's and Astro Boy 1980's), but I'll listen to most anything decently competent if only for getting it faster.

I'm not against subs though, I'll certainly watch them, but when I was watching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, my eyes could in no way follow and read all those texts for sign translations ever (and I have quick eyes when it comes to that, I can juggle 4 balls at the same time, a lot of stuff moves in slow motion for me now). I'm not the fastest reader in the world either, my best learning style is auditory and I generally just prefer to hear stuff as I tend to process that information faster.

I find I go about 50-50 for dub v sub, if there's a dub that doesn't flat out suck, I prefer to watch it, but if it's sub only, so be it. I'm not a purist on either side.

Oddly enough, I have no problem with manga, even though that's entirely read.
Apr 23, 2009 9:09 PM

Mar 2009
English dub voice acting drives me nuts, so I watch in Japanese with subs. Yes, sometimes I rewind 10 seconds (which just involves me hitting the left arrow key) because I missed something, but I miss things when I watch them in English too, so it's no different.
#!/bin/bash
echo "RiceMonster"

My last.fm
Apr 23, 2009 9:17 PM

Mar 2009
When you watch subs long enough, you just sort of forget that you're reading them... Plus, with dubs, you fairly quickly (at least in my experience) begin to memorize japanese words and phrases. This, along with the visual queues and context (and a rudimentary understanding of japanese grammar) can let you understand the gist of what's going on without having to read the subs.

Another bonus is that you tend to remember what was said better, since you had to actively read it. Plus, they are less likely to butcher eachother's names and such.
rTzApr 23, 2009 9:21 PM
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 23, 2009 10:27 PM

Nov 2008
Well, most of you people have only two choices (sub or dub). I'm Polish, so I've got more options to consider:
- English sub
- English dub
- Polish sub
- Polish voice-over

I don't watch English dubs, because it takes to much attention for me to understand English dialogues, comparing to written subtitles (it always with foreign languages that it's easier to understand written that spoken text). But the main problem is that with dub and voice-over there are two levels thay can fail on: they can fail at translating and they can fail at dubbing itself.
Furthermore, English subs are easiest to get ;)

When watching DVDs with foreign films, I've usually got choice between Polish voice-over and Polish subs, and I always choose the latter. In cinema there are almost always subs, in TV almost always voice-overs. I'm used to subs, whatever language they are in, and I like to hear original audio intact.

Definition of voice-over:
Apr 23, 2009 10:59 PM

Nov 2007
windy said:

Me too.
Subs don't bother me at all. I can read them really fast and I actually prefer reading :D

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Apr 24, 2009 12:03 AM

Apr 2009
well i watch black lagoon with dubs cuz i think that is the best dubbed anime i have seen but i watch alot of stuff with subs too

Apr 24, 2009 12:19 AM

Sep 2007
Subs are fast and are not raped of content. The only dub I can can watch is cowboy bebop. Once I started watching subs I could never go back.
Apr 24, 2009 1:12 AM

Feb 2008
Well being in a shity country everything foreign that was shown on TV was subbed (except some cartoons that were for those that can't read) so I got used to subs. And besides, most times when characters talk in anime it's just still images with mouth opening. Not much going on while they talk (oh such ignorance I know) anyway.
Apr 24, 2009 1:17 AM

Oct 2007
You can't read anime because that would make it manga and you can't watch manga since it would be anime :>
Apr 24, 2009 1:21 AM

Sep 2007
windy said:

I feel the same way..
So whenever i watch any TV show at all in english i have to have subtitles on to keep me from getting bored and impatient..

I claimed Kasumi (Misty) (by Vertago)

(made by AngelLily)
Apr 24, 2009 1:24 AM

Jul 2007
I dont have anything against subs, and usually the japanese voices are better, however i would still prefer it be in english regardless of how bad the voices are.

I like to draw, or surf the web infront of my plasma tv while i watch shows, subs require full attention towards the screen, thats just my opinion anyway.
Apr 24, 2009 1:39 AM

May 2008
So, what's up with people who don't read?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 24, 2009 2:46 AM
Nov 2008
You american/english people aren't used to subs. (Not germans either 'cause they dub everything :P). It's not hard at all.
Apr 24, 2009 3:07 AM

Feb 2009
Yeah, I live in Finland and here pretty much everything from TV is subbed. Therefore i have grown used to subtitles and its no longer effort to follow them and watch the show at the same time.
Anime dubbed in english just sounds sooo weird. I could never watch em' dubbed if its possible to get the japanese audio version :)

Apr 24, 2009 3:34 AM

Feb 2005
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei can often be a bit problematic when it throws lots of text at the screen at once, and require some rewinding and pausing, but otherwise there's no problem at all.
Reading subs is second nature to me, not hard at all.
Apr 24, 2009 4:00 AM

Oct 2008
I am a dub fan who has absolutely no problem watching a sub because I've been doing it for so long. I feel like it's a weight lifted off my brain when I can solely focus on the show and not the dialogue alone. I think a lot of subs fans are like that too and that's why they watch raws. You watch the show first and then go back to read the subs to find out what happened. Dubs are the same concept except it combines the watching and understanding all in one go. It's easy to watch some shows subbed, but try watching Kare Kano subbed. It's not easy with all those words flying all over the screen every 2 minutes.

some sub fans said:
I myself am a sub fan. Mostly because nine times out of ten the voice acting is better in Japanese then it is in English.

Honestly, unless you've taken several years of Japanese and lived in Japan another couple of years to polish your new language, you can't judge Japanese VA's. It doesn't matter how much anime you watch, you don't know Japanese and you don't know how good those VA's are. I really wouldn't be surprised if I went to Japan and found out they thought most seiyuu were awful like most dub fans think American VA's are awful.

some sub fans said:
I prefer my anime unaltered for the most part.

Last time I checked not every show is taken over by 4kids, which does destroy anime, I'll admit. The only shows that are edited, though, are ones aired on TV because here in the US we're a little....overprotective, but if you look to buy, yes buy, something like DBZ or Naruto you notice they're uncut. Also, the Higurashi licensed by Geneon and distributed by Funi is chocked full of bloodiness and the first episode of Elfen Lied by ADV is just as violent as the Japanese one. So if you're not talking about 4kids or are a conspiracy theorist against licensed anime/paranoid, I can't see what you're talking about.

NOTE: I may sound like I'm flaming, but I'm really not and am legitimately confused by some of the accusations sub fans, sometimes the fandom as a whole, make.
Apr 24, 2009 4:09 AM

Mar 2008
I actually have the idea that I 'get' more of the story if I read the subs than if I listen to dubs. I'm a very fast reader, so I have plenty of time to look at the animations, but if I were to listen to the dubs, I wouldn't understand everything the characters say. Actually, I'm from the Netherlands and this is even a 'problem' with quite a few Dutch movies, which is simply resolved by adding subs to it and reading those if I don't know what they say.

Also, I love how the Japanese language sounds phonetically, and I find the 'American accents' I find so often in English dubs sound unnatural and less 'pretty' than the Japanese.
Apr 24, 2009 6:12 AM

Feb 2005
MackDaddyHart said:
Honestly, unless you've taken several years of Japanese and lived in Japan another couple of years to polish your new language, you can't judge Japanese VA's. It doesn't matter how much anime you watch, you don't know Japanese and you don't know how good those VA's are. I really wouldn't be surprised if I went to Japan and found out they thought most seiyuu were awful like most dub fans think American VA's are awful.
You can make an opinion on how natural they sound though, experience with Japanese isn't required for that, no more than a few Japanese live action movies at least.
The whole problem with dubs is that you frequently get VAs that sound uninvolved and flat, while the original voicing tends to much more accurately reflect the characters' emotions and personalities. Let's not forget that voice acting, as well as anime in general, is a much bigger industry in Japan, so it's only natural that they'd have more flexible and experienced VA's.
Apr 24, 2009 6:36 AM

Mar 2009
The director has a point. Subs can't avoid but detract the viewers from what's being shown on screen. But hey, we can't understand the language so we can't help but rely on subs.
Apr 24, 2009 6:57 AM

Feb 2009
Saying it should be watched, if coming from someone like Miyazaki is likely a comment on the art form. You don't want to miss out on any of the carefully drawn visuals.

Oh well I don't understand Japanese. And I am NOT going to learn it just to watch anime.

I find subs to be visually intrusive. Oh well, where exactly are they going to put them otherwise? As long as they are put on the screen in a readable fashion.

But I want the cultural qualities left alone. I don't want trendy North American idioms, or timely political relevance or localized humour, I want the original commentary and dialogue. Don't convert it to something I can relate to regionally, let me learn something of Japan if I must.

And pleeeeeease, I wish anime would stop using a Texan drawl for people from Osaka.
Just use an actual Osakan accent. Let me discern the difference between someone from there and someone from Tokyo.

While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 24, 2009 7:23 AM
Oct 2008
While I understand that it isn't hard to read the subs while watching the anime for others it's different.

Honestly, I think it's just a preference, because not everyone likes having to read subs while they are watching a movie, tv show, etc. This isn't a bad thing, if they prefer the dub because they it's more comfortable for them than I don't see the problem.

Also while subs aren't that distracting they can be, especially with certain scenes that contain a lot of movement also some subs come with huge references that can at some times cover a good portion of the screen to describe a word or cultural reference. This can be an annoyance to many viewers as they would probably have to go back to read them as some of them can be pretty long.

There's also anime like Ghost in the Shell that contain a good bit of dialogue, where if you take a your eyes off the screen for a moment you could miss a good bit of information.

I think you also have to consider that not everyone has the ability to read subs as fast as others so dubs are a good option for them. That and not all dubs are that bad, they HAVE improved since the 90s.

Personally my preference when I'm watching anime on my TV or on DVD is to watch it without the subs. This is mainly do the fact that I tend to multitask while I'm watching something and that I do find the subtitles distracting during some scenes. Other than that, it is not a problem for me.
Apr 24, 2009 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
The only anime that made me feel i'm missing a lot was SZS. it was really, really inconvenient when i had to pause every two seconds. as long as i get the story and whatnot subs aren't such a bother at all. i still feel a need to learn jap though xD
Apr 24, 2009 2:15 PM

Oct 2008
Sukunai said:
But I want the cultural qualities left alone. I don't want trendy North American idioms, or timely political relevance or localized humour, I want the original commentary and dialogue. Don't convert it to something I can relate to regionally, let me learn something of Japan if I must.

And pleeeeeease, I wish anime would stop using a Texan drawl for people from Osaka.
Just use an actual Osakan accent. Let me discern the difference between someone from there and someone from Tokyo.

What dubs have you been watching? Sure the old Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors were "americanized". Lately, the last 10 years or so, I haven't seen an "americanized" show and I've seen/own a good bit of dubs. I think you have bad memories from those 80's and early 90's shows you grew up watching and I can't blame you because they were horrible.

Also, what would an Osakan accent sound like in english? I think a southern accent is the most comparable thing our language has. Would you prefer a brooklyn accent, a french accent, or maybe a surfer accent? How do you tell an english VA to sound more Osakan. Although, I've seen AZD subbed and I can't tell for the life of me how Osaka sounds any different from everyone else.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

68 by ryzxgum »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

23 by EpicO4 »»
14 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 1 hour ago

5 by perseii »»
15 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

50 by IrrelevantGuy »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

42 by Pages_Pages »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.