Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 23, 2009 8:25 AM

Feb 2008
According to the official blog, FUNimation acquired "Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~" and will stream the first four episode with English subtitles on http://www.funimation.com/video from April 23rd at 10:30 a.m. CDT. New episodes will be uploaded each week following the airing in Japan.

Source: FUNimation official blog
News credit: lee3319
freedo-Jun 2, 2009 12:56 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 23, 2009 8:38 AM

Sep 2007
Dammit, FUNi...
Apr 23, 2009 8:46 AM
Oct 2008
Well, since they are offering to stream it I might actually take the time to watch since I'm running out of space on my laptop to download anything new.
Apr 23, 2009 9:02 AM

Oct 2007
Can't watch it in Italy, they only accept US ip .-.
Apr 23, 2009 9:02 AM

May 2008
Good lord. They're really stocking up on the anime these days..

Apr 23, 2009 9:03 AM

Feb 2008
Obligatory post:
http://www.funimation.com/geoblocked.html

This news is irrelevant for people outside the USA. Good for the USAns though and at least Funi is trying to improve.
Apr 23, 2009 9:19 AM

Feb 2008
FUNimation Acquires The Finger

Apr 23, 2009 9:39 AM

Apr 2008
^ lmao
Apr 23, 2009 9:52 AM
Apr 23, 2009 9:58 AM

Dec 2008
That was fast.

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Apr 23, 2009 10:08 AM

May 2008
KayChan4U said:
Good lord. They're really stocking up on the anime these days..

agreed, it has just started airing and all...
Apr 23, 2009 10:11 AM

Apr 2008
streaming

Pass. Maybe I'll check out these alternatives out when they stop looking like crap.
Apr 23, 2009 10:16 AM

Sep 2007
Oh no... FAL T__T
Apr 23, 2009 10:24 AM

May 2007
DAMN THEM FOR LICENSING ANIME

Oh and again UK user can go on Funi's video player.
My anime list
Apr 23, 2009 10:31 AM

Aug 2008
De-JaY said:
... Finger...
Apr 23, 2009 10:36 AM

Dec 2008
Is anyone besides funi licensing anime in usa? it's boring already...
Apr 23, 2009 10:40 AM
Oct 2008
Yata-sama said:
Is anyone besides funi licensing anime in usa? it's boring already...

Besides Bandai, Media Blasters, and ADV? No. It shouldn't be a surprise that they are the main one licensing series. They do control the largest market share in the US anime industry, and they are pretty much one of the few companies that is actually doing well in this economy.
Apr 23, 2009 10:52 AM

Oct 2008
mitamaking said:
Oh and again UK user can go on Funi's video player.

I weren't interested in this series when I first heard about it however I might give it ago. I'm also happy that I came watch it despite being in the UK.
Apr 23, 2009 11:01 AM

Jul 2007
Geez, Funi's been fast lately.

oh, these little earthquakes
Apr 23, 2009 11:09 AM
Apr 2009
Are they trying to be like crunchyroll? No wonder a lot of fansubbing group has disbanded. I missed the good old days... though its only been 3 years. hehe
Apr 23, 2009 11:53 AM

Jul 2008
Oh good lord...
Funi's on a roll, aren't they?
Apr 23, 2009 11:55 AM

Oct 2007
Well, that was fast
Apr 23, 2009 12:07 PM

Oct 2007
now if only they can pick a series i would be interested in.... oh well atleast they ARE trying
Apr 23, 2009 12:17 PM

May 2008
I hate so much Funi

I am surprised there is none "I hate funimation club in MAL"
Apr 23, 2009 12:24 PM
Oct 2008
Soulstrider said:
I hate so much Funi

I am surprised there is none "I hate funimation club in MAL"

I personally don't understand all of the Funi hate...though this could be because I live in the US, so they aren't an issue for me.
Apr 23, 2009 1:00 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, someone explain to me all the licensing hate, I don't get it.
Apr 23, 2009 1:21 PM

Oct 2007
Licensing hate is there because people hate dubs and forget the fact that they're not being forced to watch the dub. (It's not there for you. It's there for the people who will appreciate and enjoy it. DVDs always have two audio tracks for this reason.)

FUNi hate is there because of DBZ's censoring and editing. (FUNimation hasn't censored or edited a single anime in years. Do some research, you'll see I'm right.)

In other words, these guys are complaining even though they (should) know that there's no reason to.
KuyuApr 23, 2009 1:24 PM
You can find me on IRC.
Apr 23, 2009 1:24 PM

May 2008
ghostphace said:

Simple:
FUNi licences anime X
FUNi starts to warn, and threaten the subbers with lawsuit
of course they just provide stream in US
Europeans, South-Americns, etc, can't watch the series (subbed)
That's why...
Apr 23, 2009 1:31 PM
Oct 2008
3rr0R said:
ghostphace said:

Simple:
FUNi licences anime X
That's why...

Still not a real reason to hate them, everyone ends up finding means to watch the series that was licensed anyways. That and Funimation is a US licensing company so their license only covers North America which makes sense.
Apr 23, 2009 1:32 PM

Jul 2007
Dammit, FUNi, this could have been Basquash!
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 23, 2009 2:07 PM

Dec 2007
Even though I'm not particularly interested in this series, I think this is really good news. The more simulcasts, the better I say.

However, I feel I should mention that Funimation currently only has the streaming rights, not DVD rights yet. (my source is Lance Heiskell's (a Funi rep) post on the ANN forums)

Kuyukly said:
FUNi hate is there because of DBZ's censoring and editing. (FUNimation hasn't censored or edited a single anime in years. Do some research, you'll see I'm right.)

In the past, yes. Now? Some people complain about editing or whatever out of ignorance, but I don't think that the real reason now. It's funny though, but I was in that camp back in the day and so was everyone else. Funimation was the 4kids of the anime industry. LOL But when they started licensing anime that wasn't DBZ (Yu YU Hakusho and Fruits Basket come to mind) and they actually did a good job with them, people eventually shut up about it. Now I think more people are just upset at having their free animu taken away... even though Funi's streams are free too. *shrugs*
KnittyApr 23, 2009 2:18 PM
Apr 23, 2009 2:16 PM

Feb 2008
Urgh.
Apr 23, 2009 2:18 PM

Feb 2008
Kuyukly said:
Licensing hate is there because people hate dubs and forget the fact that they're not being forced to watch the dub. (It's not there for you. It's there for the people who will appreciate and enjoy it. DVDs always have two audio tracks for this reason.)
Exactly why I don't understand the hate. The original Japanese audio is still there for the people who dislike dubs. However, I will admit the subtitle fonts on dvds are hideous. That's one area where fansubs have an advantage.
Capellabun said:
3rr0R said:

Simple:
FUNi licences anime X
That's why...

Still not a real reason to hate them, everyone ends up finding means to watch the series that was licensed anyways. That and Funimation is a US licensing company so their license only covers North America which makes sense.
Exactly! In my 5-6 years of watching fansubbed anime, there has never been an instance where I had to drop a show because of lack of subs due to a license.
Apr 23, 2009 2:33 PM

Nov 2008
Kuyukly said:

In other words, these guys are complaining even though they (should) know that there's no reason to.

no the main reason is because whenever funimation gets a show its gets hard for people to watch subs, which alot of people(inculding myself) prefer alot more than dubs and those who watch subs grow to hate almost all dubs and if a sites server is in the US they are forced to take the show down

also if the company that licences the show starts to sub it they use absolutly no japanese in the subs (noteing viz subbing naruto) which alot of words lose some of there meaning when translated directly into english

so damn you funimation
giganoBragoApr 23, 2009 2:37 PM
Apr 23, 2009 2:39 PM

May 2008
ghostphace said:
Kuyukly said:
Exactly why I don't understand the hate. The original Japanese audio is still there for the people who dislike dubs. However, I will admit the subtitle fonts on dvds are hideous. That's one area where fansubs have an advantage.
Capellabun said:
3rr0R said:

Simple:
FUNi licences anime X
That's why...

Exactly! In my 5-6 years of watching fansubbed anime, there has never been an instance where I had to drop a show because of lack of subs due to a license.

Bit more empathy please
It's more of a problem for the subbers. It can be pretty hard to get out of reach of FUNi and until that, no new subbed episodes for us... And there aren't too many good quality sub-groups either
Dunno, does this means already, that the current "best" subgroup has to drop it, and if does, who's gonna sub it, at such a good quality? I guess, we'll just wait

There wouldn't be any FUNi hate, if it would just leave the subgroups alone. Americans go FUNi, Europeans and others get fansubs
It's jut not right to deny the right/opportunity from other regions outer America, to watch subbed anime
3rr0RApr 23, 2009 2:45 PM
Apr 23, 2009 3:05 PM
Oct 2008
3rr0R said:

There wouldn't be any FUNi hate, if it would just leave the subgroups alone. Americans go FUNi, Europeans and others get fansubs
It's jut not right to deny the right from other regions outer America, to watch subbed anime

Again, Funimation is a US licensing company, their licenses don't extend past North America so they can not offer it anywhere else. It's not that they are denying you anime it's that they can't distribute it outside of their region.

I do however empathize with you about the subs but I really can't see it as a reason to hate them. Maybe, if I lived elsewhere where anime wasn't as available as it is here in NA I would feel the same but I do see the reason why they go after sub groups and I imagine any other company would do the same if they felt it would effect their company in a negative way.

giganoBrago said:

also if the company that licences the show starts to sub it they use absolutly no japanese in the subs (noteing viz subbing naruto) which alot of words lose some of there meaning when translated directly into english

so damn you funimation

Err, I own a good number of DVDs and a few of them do use Japanese in the subs, my Mushi-shi dvds (licensed by Funimation)being a good example of this as a good majority of the Japanese words are kept intact in both the dub and the sub.
AvoideaApr 23, 2009 3:15 PM
Apr 23, 2009 3:05 PM

Jul 2007
giganoBrago said:

no the main reason is because whenever funimation gets a show its gets hard for people to watch subs, which alot of people(inculding myself) prefer alot more than dubs and those who watch subs grow to hate almost all dubs and if a sites server is in the US they are forced to take the show down

so damn you funimation

DVDs either come bilingual or subbed. There are no dubbed-only DVDs anymore except in extreme cases, such as children's DVDs.

It's the point of a professional translator to translate the whole thing, not just leave some of it in Japanese. It's weeaboo to leave part of it untranslated either because you can't think of a meaning or you don't want to.

Ergo, your reason make no sense. Please try again.
Apr 23, 2009 3:11 PM

Nov 2008

DVDs either come bilingual or subbed. There are no dubbed-only DVDs anymore except in extreme cases, such as children's DVDs.

It's the point of a professional translator to translate the whole thing, not just leave some of it in Japanese. It's weeaboo to leave part of it untranslated either because you can't think of a meaning or you don't want to.

i hate when people talk like they know everything no offensel
and beilve me lots of people dont wanna have funimation to exist cause
1. we dont wanna have to wait half a year to see an epiosde on dvd wev already seen
2. with the english subbtiles its gonna be the same as there dubs
Apr 23, 2009 3:13 PM

Jul 2007
giganoBrago said:

i hate when people talk like they know everything no offensel
and beilve me lots of people dont wanna have funimation to exist cause
1. we dont wanna have to wait half a year to see an epiosde on dvd wev already seen
2. with the english subbtiles its gonna be the same as there dubs

You don't have to wait half a year with a stronger push for simulcast streaming, so that's already solved for you.

How is subtitling like their dubs? FUNi often has two different subtitles. One with the faithful translation and one with the dub script. You know, if you really want to watch anime as purely as possible, learn Japanese and watch it raw.
Apr 23, 2009 3:19 PM

Dec 2008
I have no complaints about Funi picking up shows because they are only doing things to keep their business running. But "Streaming" video usually has quality that is like a 100x lower than sub groups can do, and if they are going to be subbing it themselves why do they go after sub groups like they do. All the sub group is when Funi is subbing shows themselves is another means for people to watch a subbed show which gives the show more fandom. I mean if someone likes the show they are going to buy the dvds anyway so subbing groups along with Funi subbing is just more exposure for the show.
Apr 23, 2009 3:26 PM

Jul 2007
Anoki said:
I have no complaints about Funi picking up shows because they are only doing things to keep their business running. But "Streaming" video usually has quality that is like a 100x lower than sub groups can do, and if they are going to be subbing it themselves why do they go after sub groups like they do. All the sub group is when Funi is subbing shows themselves is another means for people to watch a subbed show which gives the show more fandom. I mean if someone likes the show they are going to buy the dvds anyway so subbing groups along with Funi subbing is just more exposure for the show.

I can't speak for others, but video quality isn't of the highest importance for me. I don't notice the difference and I really wonder how many people who yell about video quality do. I mean, this isn't early years Youtube here. Streaming has come a long way.

Here's the problem with a sub group subbing shows FUNi is already subbing themselves. FUNi and the Japanese investors get money when you watch the show on FUNi's site. FUNi and the Japanese investors don't get money when you watch it from a fansub group. If you do both for comparison, no problem, but if you only watch the fansub group's product, you're ignoring all of FUNi's good will and tremendous efforts for your approval and slapping them in the face.

This isn't about making a show popular. This is a business. If the show becomes popular, it will have little or nothing to do with the fact that it was fansubbed.
Apr 23, 2009 3:33 PM

Dec 2008
Splitter said:
Anoki said:

I can't speak for others, but video quality isn't of the highest importance for me. I don't notice the difference and I really wonder how many people who yell about video quality do. I mean, this isn't early years Youtube here. Streaming has come a long way.

Here's the problem with a sub group subbing shows FUNi is already subbing themselves. FUNi and the Japanese investors get money when you watch the show on FUNi's site. FUNi and the Japanese investors don't get money when you watch it from a fansub group. If you do both for comparison, no problem, but if you only watch the fansub group's product, you're ignoring all of FUNi's good will and tremendous efforts for your approval and slapping them in the face.

This isn't about making a show popular. This is a business. If the show becomes popular, it will have little or nothing to do with the fact that it was fansubbed.

Sorry but I am one of those people that only go for the best quality. Thats just me though. I mean I know alot of other people are like me so yeah.

About the money thing. See I did not know that and I apologize for not looking something like that up before hand. Because I know that I might just go there and leave my computer on while the show plays just for them and then go watch the better quality from the fansubbers.

And "Alot" of shows do become alot more popular with fansubbing groups. I mean American or any other region Anime companies sometimes license a show when it is finished because it got alot of fans because of fansub groups. I mean I aint going to say I know for a fact that what I am saying is true. But you cant say that fansubbers dont make alot of shows popular which then in turn makes the people want to buy the dvds for collection.
Apr 23, 2009 3:40 PM
Oct 2008
Anoki said:
Splitter said:
Anoki said:

Sorry but I am one of those people that only go for the best quality. Thats just me though. I mean I know alot of other people are like me so yeah.

About the money thing. See I did not know that and I apologize for not looking something like that up before hand. Because I know that I might just go there and leave my computer on while the show plays just for them and then go watch the better quality from the fansubbers.

And "Alot" of shows do become alot more popular with fansubbing groups. I mean American or any other region Anime companies sometimes license a show when it is finished because it got alot of fans because of fansub groups. I mean I aint going to say I know for a fact that what I am saying is true. But you cant say that fansubbers dont make alot of shows popular which then in turn makes the people want to buy the dvds for collection.

Even if a show is popular online, there is no guarantee that it will sell well once it hits the US because not everyone who watches fansubs ends up purchasing the DVDs in the end. There are a good number of fairly popular shows with large fanbases that have been licensed but haven't done as well as they could. I think there was an article earlier about how anime DVD sales have gone down last year.
Apr 23, 2009 3:47 PM

Dec 2008
I know they have gone down but fansubs still increase popularity for a fair amount of shows. Yes alot of people dont buy the dvds but it still increases the popularity to where someone that didnt even know about the show but watched the fansubs liked it so they went and bought the dvd.
Apr 23, 2009 3:59 PM

Dec 2007
Personally, I view streaming as a preview, just as I view fansubs as a preview. However, DVDs are for keeps. =)

I think the reason Funimation goes after subbers so hard is because once a fansub is released, IT NEVER GOES AWAY. They can have all the streaming sites remove it, have it removed from various upload sites, yet people upload it back as fast as it's removed. I know people are all, "I wanna watch it as it airs, right now!" and to a point, that's fine. But do those subs disappear after the broadcast is over? Nope. Do they disappear after the official english DVDs are available? Nope. They are still all over the internet. In fact, I went on a search and found fansubs from series Funimation released years ago and are now available in extremely cheap boxsets. So instead of people shelling out the $30 or so for the cheap boxset, they just steal the entire series through fansubs and never bother with the DVDs at all. Which, I believe, leads them to trying so hard to snuff out the fansubs before they are even made. But as I said, that's my own speculation. ^^

And while fansubs do generate some fandom, I think they also generate a false sense of profitability. Take K-ON for example, the internet is going CRAZY for that show right now, but if and when it's released on DVD, I doubt it'll sell well at all... just like Haruhi and Lucky Star before it. =/
Apr 23, 2009 4:05 PM

Nov 2008
-Jenny said:
Personally, I view streaming as a preview, just as I view fansubs as a preview. However, DVDs are for keeps. =)

I think the reason Funimation goes after subbers so hard is because once a fansub is released, IT NEVER GOES AWAY. They can have all the streaming sites remove it, have it removed from various upload sites, yet people upload it back as fast as it's removed. I know people are all, "I wanna watch it as it airs, right now!" and to a point, that's fine. But do those subs disappear after the broadcast is over? Nope. Do they disappear after the official english DVDs are available? Nope. They are still all over the internet. In fact, I went on a search and found fansubs from series Funimation released years ago and are now available in extremely cheap boxsets. So instead of people shelling out the $30 or so for the cheap boxset, they just steal the entire series through fansubs and never bother with the DVDs at all. Which, I believe, leads them to trying so hard to snuff out the fansubs before they are even made. But as I said, that's my own speculation. ^^

And while fansubs do generate some fandom, I think they also generate a false sense of profitability. Take K-ON for example, the internet is going CRAZY for that show right now, but if and when it's released on DVD, I doubt it'll sell well at all... just like Haruhi and Lucky Star before it. =/

people just like subs, it cant be helped^_^
Apr 23, 2009 4:10 PM

Jul 2007
WTH Funi?? What are they doing trolling our watch list and going "Hmm We're going to License that one, and that one and ...."
Apr 23, 2009 4:16 PM

Dec 2007
giganoBrago said:

Umm, so do I? Liking subs isn't an excuse, since DVDs always have a subtitle track.

Why do people insist on ignoring this detail? It's like no one has ever actually held an official anime DVD before and just repeat the same uninformed bullcrap over and over again. >.>
Apr 23, 2009 4:31 PM

Nov 2008
-Jenny said:
giganoBrago said:

Umm, so do I? Liking subs isn't an excuse, since DVDs always have a subtitle track.

Why do people insist on ignoring this detail? It's like no one has ever actually held an official anime DVD before and just repeat the same uninformed bullcrap over and over again. >.>

computers better^_^ lol the thing is lots of people dont wanna ave to pay for it when they can get it for free, its the way to "stick it to the man"
Apr 23, 2009 4:36 PM

Jul 2007
Anoki said:
I know they have gone down but fansubs still increase popularity for a fair amount of shows. Yes alot of people dont buy the dvds but it still increases the popularity to where someone that didnt even know about the show but watched the fansubs liked it so they went and bought the dvd.

How many people do you honestly think buy the DVD after watching the fansubs?

Arcadies said:
WTH Funi?? What are they doing trolling our watch list and going "Hmm We're going to License that one, and that one and ...."

They're trying to appeal to you. They're putting out official legit subs days after they air in Japan. You disgrace the fandom by yelling at them for trying to keep the business alive. Or would you just like anime to die altogether?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
37 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.