Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 27, 2007 3:11 PM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nominated to be one of the animated movies that have a shot to go on and win the 2008 Oscar for best animated movie,, so I just had to see it ofcourse,, and quite frankly I was stunned. Dont know if it has a shot at winning,, but it is well worth it!
Jul 19, 2008 11:49 PM

Apr 2008
Wow, It's been a long time since I watch a happy ending.
Awesome Action
Good story
Great Animation
I love "blacks" voice.

9/10
Jul 23, 2008 4:07 PM

Jan 2008
More Studio 4C greatness.

But the story wasnt strong enough. Minotaur should have been introduced much sooner, not just in name and rumours. Periphery characters were interesting of themselves, but in the grand scheme of things kind of useless and just around to fill time, and provide ambience to the city. For a moment I thought maybe Black and the yakuza dude he beat up would team up together which would have been cool, but it didnt happen. I also thought all of the main characters would team up together to tackle the new exterior threat, but that didnt happen either. It was pretty much cliche all over the place when the two kids werent around.

Amazing animation and cool music though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 27, 2008 5:21 PM

Nov 2004
not sure what to think of it, I liked the general animation, but I hated how the people looked
Sep 21, 2008 10:10 AM

Oct 2007
Very...well made.
I thought the ending was a little rushed...Wish there was more scenes..with the minotaur dude.
Nov 6, 2008 2:39 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
i thought it was perfect.
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 18, 2008 5:02 PM
May 2008
Zirgo said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nominated to be one of the animated movies that have a shot to go on and win the 2008 Oscar for best animated movie,, so I just had to see it ofcourse,, and quite frankly I was stunned. Dont know if it has a shot at winning,, but it is well worth it!
You mean 2007, right? And it was submitted as a consideration for nomination, it wasn't nominated. The only nominated anime films in the Oscars are Howl's and Spirited Away.
Nov 27, 2008 10:10 PM

Jun 2008
One of my favourite movies ever. It's weird, in the U.S it is rated R, but here in Canada it is PG and is in the children's section at Blockbuster. Anyway, which rating system is right? I'd have to say Canada because my 7 year old sister watched it with me and she loved it and absolutely bad happened as a result.
Dec 11, 2008 3:59 PM

Jan 2008
Amazing movie. The part when the minotaur appeared was intense! Artwork was really refreshing too.
Jan 14, 2009 11:33 AM

Apr 2008
Great movie, great story, great story and I really! enjoyed the animation ^^
Got pleasently surprised when I saw this since I didn't have high expectations.
9/10
Feb 18, 2009 3:39 AM
Jul 2007
i gave it an 8/10

i enjoyed watching it a lot. i wish the plot was deeper((it was definitely on the simplistic side)) but there was a charm to the simplicity as well.if you think of the story as being focused on the relationship between Black and White, then its quite perfect. id like to know more about the weird guys the Snake man hired, and more about other things, too, but the story was mostly about Black and White, so it was satisfying enough for me :)
...we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here...
Apr 30, 2009 2:05 PM

Aug 2008
Just as everyone thought... the art was one of a hell and amazing and so the music was... the music and art are both worth to be remembered for a long while.... Then the story is definitely not outstanding but it kinda reflects the paradigm of life in the cities... Loved VA, especially Kuro's voice.... Liked all the problems set up and their conclusion... quite a refreshing and nice movie... Quite the R rated for me anyway :P

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2009 5:04 PM

Mar 2009
This blew me away. My expectation for this film was not very high && the story line was WAY different from how I thought it would be which made it very good. It's a good && creative potrayal on the effects of life experiences, corruption and how that can bring out either the worst or best in us. What makes it great is, at the end it shows that no one has to use that evil and everyone has the potiental to be happy.
Jun 5, 2009 4:16 PM
Jun 2009
Many people say this movie is simplistic, but i believe that it has many undertones. New overtaking old, what you see isn't what is seems, etc. The biggest one was change, in terms of spirit, lifestyle, family, relationships, and sanity. I love this movie. BTW, was anyone else surprised by how many people were "whacked" by the end of the movie. Also, black reminds me of the nararator and tyler durden from "fight club".
"Its only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything."
Jun 5, 2009 8:07 PM
Mar 2008
That was pretty badass, and also my first blu-ray anime. Put it aside for awhile cause I thought it might be one of those complicated stories where multiple views are needed to appreciated it more, but it was pretty straightforward. Kinda wished they introduced Minotaur earlier (not just by name) because the way they played it out in the end didn't feel like that big of a struggle as it should be. Great animation, style, characters, voice acting, and BGM/Sounds. Was totally immersed in it from start to finish. Plus haven't watched a happy ending in awhile.
Jun 28, 2009 6:54 AM

Jun 2008
This movie was kinda good in the beginning. But then at the ED it became kinda mindfuck. The animation was gold.

8/10

Good movie.
Jul 18, 2009 2:52 AM

Jun 2009
Best. Anime. Movie. Ever.
What I'm supposed to write here?
Aug 10, 2009 3:03 PM
Dec 2007
Beatnik said:
More Studio 4C greatness.

But the story wasnt strong enough.

Amazing animation and cool music though.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 15, 2009 11:34 PM

Jan 2009
The animation style was so unique and awesome that I absolutely loved it. The beginning fight scene was especially thrilling. Very impressed that an American director made such a fabulous film. The story was interesting, but I think I'll best remember this piece for its stunning visuals.

8/10

Sep 14, 2009 12:48 PM

May 2009
I consider this to be my favorite movie of all time. Really, it wasn't perfect, but that's why it was perfect. I was just blown away. Beautiful art (yes, even the people. especially the people! what creative freedom), stunning animation, wonderful story, characters, and shiro was just a beautiful person D; it wasn't like a meaningless movie for mindless entertainment, it really stayed with me afterward, it really said something to me. just wow.
yeah, i'm in love with this movie.
best anime movie ever.
and, for me, best movie ever

1,000,000,000/10
Nov 19, 2009 10:43 PM

Dec 2008
A perfect movie. Music from Plaid put it over the top amazing, I was like "Warp Records artist did a soundtrack for an anime???"

The Minotaur part was beautiful mind fuck.
Feb 5, 2010 10:40 AM

Nov 2009
Avesome animation and music. I didn't expect that. But the story itself very sad but with happy ending though. Didn't expect that either.

6/10
Feb 27, 2010 2:46 AM

Feb 2010
God. This movie is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. It's a masterpiece.

I give it a 10/10
Mar 15, 2010 10:04 PM

Apr 2008
Watched it twice in a row. Loved it all.
Apr 10, 2010 11:00 PM

Jul 2008
The last scene was... AMAZING!! I probably re-watched that scene 20 times today. Just WOW XD
Aug 22, 2010 12:17 AM
Jun 2010
Weird and confusing as hell, yet strangely mesmerizing. I like it.
Sep 27, 2010 11:37 AM

May 2008
It's been a while since I saw something so unique and refreshing. I simply loved the story, the artwork, the voice acting... everything was awsome and the last scene was just amazing~
Dec 1, 2010 3:54 AM
Apr 2010
One of the best in my book. When White was bleeding out all over the place at the end, shit, I may have shed a tear.
Jan 15, 2011 6:37 PM

Aug 2010
Really, really liked this. The music was fantastic throughout, as well as the rest of the sound. Really I have nothing to complain about, although I wish we had seen more of Minotaur, or maybe even had him choose darkness for a while.
Feb 6, 2011 7:33 AM

Sep 2009
They fly! They really fly! It`s as weird as green-skinned Minotaur. Anyway, artwork is great. Philosophy part isn`t so great. Especially old man`s lectures. Finally, a fight with punks and Shiro`s drawings were the best moments.
Jun 2, 2011 4:46 PM

Aug 2010
sniW said:
Amazing movie. The part when the minotaur appeared was intense! Artwork was really refreshing too.
True that! I have not seen an anime quite like this one in a very long time.

To me this was a road of self discovery for black. The whole yin and yang balance was displayed beautifully while maintain artwork that was a bit different but the story got through in the end.
Minotaur's voice had a soothing yet a controlling factor that can control you to choose a side you may or may not have wanted to go to. For a second while he was talking about darkness it felt like your inner you was ready to be unleashed!
Jun 18, 2011 2:41 PM
Jan 2010
What a stupid and pointless movie.
Oct 10, 2011 7:07 PM

Sep 2008
Hibachi_ said:
What a stupid and pointless movie.

co-sign.

I do give the movie props for drop dead gorgeous backdrops, but that's all it had.
The storyline was just really bad, could not relate to anyone in the movie. No mentioning of how kuro and shiro met or became friends. I get that they were meant to balance themselves like a type of ying and yang, but still a little more depth to the main characters would've helped.

There were so many useless added scenes that made me wonder why it was even there in the first place, like those 2 other kids near the beginning. They didn't serve a single purpose except to give us a hint about the minotaur. Also the two cops, no background story of who they were, really didnt tell me anything about them. The yazkuza's, there was no depth to any of these characters to make me give a shit about them.

On the last note, about the city, what makes the city is it's people, and to me there was just no substance to anybody in the whole movie, which made the whole plot of protecting this city just very boring.

Also shiro was the most annoying thing to listen two for almost 2 hours.
Oct 26, 2011 5:38 AM

Sep 2008
Art and animation were amazing.

Shiro's mental retardation was the main thing preventing me from enjoying this movie to the fullest though.
Nov 26, 2011 8:51 PM

Sep 2010
Amazing movie

nice story, nice graphics, GREAT animation

10/10
Dec 17, 2011 2:21 AM

Apr 2009
Just finished watching; first reactions are a bit mixed. I love the animation style, definitely not traditional, but still to my liking. The sound was nice and fresh, I might pick up an OST some time around.

As for the story, I'm still a bit unsure. I want a second viewing before I make any final judgments. In particular, the biggest problem I probably had was that Black was just I don't think emphasized strongly enough. I just couldn't relate to him. I didn't see him as a terrorizing leader that needs to be eliminated, as even a strong leader, or really, a leader at all. The last parts of the movie... I don't know; I'm still mixed. Psychedelic adventures, not really my thing.

Overall, pretty good. I'll need another viewing to solidify my thoughts, however. The visuals and audio are fresh and impressive, but the story just doesn't hold weight.
Dec 20, 2011 8:11 AM
Jun 2008
Great movie! I need to watch more Studio 4°C movies though.

8/10
Jul 20, 2012 2:48 AM

Jan 2012
The animation just made me speechless. Didn't enjoy the story too much, but it's the usual Taiyo Matsumoto story where there's a lot of symbolism. Still great though.
Jul 31, 2012 7:21 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
An artistic masterpiece! 10/10.

To those who hated the character design, whats wrong? Are the eyes not big enough for you?

To those who hated this movie, wait a few years till you grow up then watch it again
Aug 10, 2012 8:11 PM

Apr 2012
damn, I passed this over before and only watched it cos it was on FilmFour. What a film

feel slightly shell-shocked so can only say Plaid's soundtrack was good, and I liked that the city plan was the Eye of Horus

The story will need some sinking in, I get the impression there's a bunch of metaphors that aren't completely apparent. Either way it was fun and a deeper meaning isn't all that necessary.

dfsgfdfgd

++
But the story wasnt strong enough. Minotaur should have been introduced much sooner, not just in name and rumours. Periphery characters were interesting of themselves, but in the grand scheme of things kind of useless and just around to fill time, and provide ambience to the city. For a moment I thought maybe Black and the yakuza dude he beat up would team up together which would have been cool, but it didnt happen. I also thought all of the main characters would team up together to tackle the new exterior threat, but that didnt happen either. It was pretty much cliche all over the place when the two kids werent around.

Was confused by Minotaur but that's as it should be; he's not just another supporting character with a story arc. I thought the peripheral characters were well-fleshed out and involved just the right amount too - feeling like real people with depth beyond the remit of the story, but enough to influence it - and "everyone teaming up" would be the most cliche thing that could've happened :s

I enjoyed this film more once I assumed it was largely playing out from the perspective of kid/s with severe emotional problems.
BlackoutingAug 10, 2012 8:40 PM
Aug 21, 2012 12:56 PM

Aug 2009
I really wanted to love this movie but in the end I found it just ok.

The visuals were most definitely interesting but I wasn't particularly engaged by the story/ characters. Which was surprising since I usually love stories about close relationships where one person is more "good" than the other. I also usually love mafia settings. But this...eh. Maybe I missed something. It felt a bit cliched and shallow.
May 14, 2013 11:18 AM

Nov 2010
Amazing art, but a horrible story

I recognized the darkness at the end from Ichigo (Bleach) and Naruto/Kyuubi (Shippuuden) which was ok
May 26, 2013 2:44 PM

Jan 2010
This was amazing.
The people had simple design, yet the background and landscapes were very detailed.
It was nice.
I'm really happy neither died in the end and they got their happy ending after all. Although I do agree Minotaur couldve been introduced sooner. /)w(\
May 20, 2014 5:56 AM

Jun 2012
This movie was incredible. So much so that I'm going to go buy the manga now where it can stand with pride on my bookshelf. Taiyou Matsumoto is an incredible story teller, and this adaptation was outstanding. Can't believe I hadn't seen this sooner!!!
Jul 6, 2014 7:08 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, that was ... interesting. Watched it at my friend's house and yeah, not what I expected at all. Pretty trippy and ... "deep" lol. I quite liked the characters. Gotta say the animation was pretty amazing ... but the plot, not so much. The last part where Minotaur was trying to get Black ("Shiro") over to join him was ... well O_O The music was quite nice too. I kinda want to see more movies made by this studio ... 8/10
Dec 12, 2014 3:02 PM

Jul 2010
This was pretty nice especially the metaphor on how they were broken and needed the screws that only one person has.

Shiro having the screws that Kuro needs and Kuro having the screws that Kuro needs. Kuro turning into a really violent person after losing Shiro yet was able to give Shiro up believing it was the best. Shiro drawing disturbing images yet ending with a peaceful happy one after knowing that he could be with Kuro again and that Kuro having overcame his inner darkness.

The Kimura and Suzuki conflict was done well too. How Suzuki knew it was coming and could had easily defended himself by bringing in other people with him. Instead he allowed Kimura to kill him so that Kimura could protect his family. Teaching him how to not get caught even on the moment where he is just about to get shot. The cycle of killing and getting killed back :/

I was glad that they were able to get together again. Though the absolute darkness thing was pretty sudden. The art was pretty amazing.
Mar 21, 2015 7:17 PM

Dec 2013
This move had so much potiental. It got really shitty after the darkness guy came out of nowhere, like, wtf? There were also so many things that bothered me with this movie so with that I'm rating it as a 6/10.
Apr 20, 2015 2:50 PM

Jan 2015
I had read the manga before watching this and I have to say, the movie is actually better. Really good job!
Jun 8, 2015 11:50 AM

Dec 2013
The power of friendship presented in a very artistic way.
Again, Studio 4C did'nt disappoint. The background were amazingly detailed and the visuals made a great impression overall. The OST was awesome too, I'm glad I watched it with my headphones on (awesome ED by Asian Kung-Fu Generation as well). The part with Black being pulled by darkness (Minotaur) and in the end returnng to White was great.
Not as good as Mind Game but still good nonetheless.
Aug 19, 2015 3:21 PM

Apr 2014
Oh my.
The animation and background art was stunning and full of life.
Sadly character design was very oversimplified, which made me feel uncomfortable and in the beginning sometimes even disgusted by it, but over time I got used to it.
The OST was really pleasant.
Although I got quite confused in the 'devil' part.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Tekkon Kinkreet's art and animation style

misfish - Aug 18, 2013

4 by Pyramise »»
May 1, 2022 12:11 PM

» Dubbed or Subbed?

Kaeji - Apr 23, 2012

9 by okayiguess »»
Nov 1, 2018 1:25 PM

» Meaning and symbolism

Vurtox - Dec 23, 2012

2 by Daril »»
Apr 28, 2017 11:56 PM

» Michael Arias Interview - On Tekkon Kinkreet

WAXCHUG - Feb 4, 2012

1 by Dunky »»
Feb 4, 2012 5:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.