Forum Settings
Forums

NY Times Manga Best Seller List for the Week Ending April 11, 2009 (Released April 17, 2009)

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
Apr 19, 2009 2:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 722
Graphic Books Best Seller List (Manga) for the Week Ending 11 April 2009
The most interesting entry on this week's list is Gantz, Vol. 4. Also, xxxHolic, Vol. 13, and Negima (both original, Vol. 21, and Neo, Vol. 1) drop off, and Vampire Knight, Vol. 6, and Rosario + Vampire, Vol. 6 make an appearance. Naruto remains and Fruits Basket, Vol. 22 does as well.
1 NARUTO, Vol. 43, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.)
2 NARUTO, Vol. 44, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.)
3 NARUTO, Vol. 42, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.)
4 VAMPIRE KNIGHT, Vol. 6, by Matsuri Hino. (VIZ Media, $8.99.)
5 NARUTO, Vol. 41, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.)
6 NARUTO, Vol. 40, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.)
7 FRUITS BASKET, Vol. 22, by Natsuki Takaya. (TokyoPop, $10.99.)
8 GANTZ, Vol. 4, by Hiroya Oku. (Dark Horse, $12.95.)
9 ROSARIO + VAMPIRE, Vol. 6, by Akihisa Ikeda. (VIZ Media, $7.99.)
10 NARUTO, Vol. 39, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.)
Rankings reflect sales of graphic novels, for the week ending April 11. Further information on data sources can be found at MAL news topic for last week.

Source: NY Times Graphic Books Best Seller List (4/17/09)
 
#2
Apr 19, 2009 3:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 233
Hmn, didn't know VK was that popular... Interesting.

 
#3
Apr 19, 2009 3:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 663
VK is popular dude.

Not as much as Naruto.. but vampires in general are pretty 'trendy'.

Xiaoling Squirrel; baddest rodent in the forest.

 
#4
Apr 19, 2009 3:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 424
Don't forget, right now vampires are pretty in. Remember this book called Twilight??

Anyways, wow Naruto is really, really big. Kishimoto san is prolly laughing his way to the bank.
 
#5
Apr 19, 2009 3:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3726
DinaraC said:
Anyways, wow Naruto is really, really big. Kishimoto san is prolly laughing his way to the bank.


LOL :P amazing comment there :P
 
#6
Apr 19, 2009 3:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 628
Friendlysoul said:
DinaraC said:
Anyways, wow Naruto is really, really big. Kishimoto san is prolly laughing his way to the bank.


LOL :P amazing comment there :P


lol I can just see him chuckling to himself as he carries (or drags) his huge brown sack of money with a dollar sign on it.

 
#7
Apr 19, 2009 4:11 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1546
-.- Too much Naruto.
 
#8
Apr 19, 2009 4:22 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 61
No one will buy VK vol 7, it sucked.
 
#9
Apr 19, 2009 5:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 192
Vampire bananza going on it seems.
 
Apr 19, 2009 5:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3233
be_loved said:
-.- Too much Naruto.


this
Animegal9215 said:
Friendlysoul said:
DinaraC said:
Anyways, wow Naruto is really, really big. Kishimoto san is prolly laughing his way to the bank.


LOL :P amazing comment there :P


lol I can just see him chuckling to himself as he carries (or drags) his huge brown sack of money with a dollar sign on it.


and this.

that man is a genius.
Knowing what agegroup to hit hardest with crap for profit.
 
Apr 19, 2009 5:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 663
kyon91 said:
No one will buy VK vol 7, it sucked.


Remember BSB, NSYNC and Brittney Spears?

Don't underestimate the purchasing power of little girls.

Xiaoling Squirrel; baddest rodent in the forest.

 
Apr 19, 2009 5:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
dawnwan said:
VK is popular dude.

Not as much as Naruto.. but vampires in general are pretty 'trendy'.


wut vampires?...

There are as many vampires in VK as in Twilight, thus there are no vampires in VK :E
 
Apr 19, 2009 5:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 272
be_loved said:
-.- Too much Naruto.


Nuff said, and heres me thinking Naruto is finnally dying down. More people should realise the greatness of Gintama!
x


>Inviting people to Lockerz, Pm if you want in<
 
Apr 19, 2009 5:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3198
This seems pointless for the NYT to print this unless something besides Naruto fills the rankings. It seems like every week will be "NARUTO ROCKS!!!"
 
Apr 19, 2009 6:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 471
Needs less Naruto D:


You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
 
Apr 19, 2009 6:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1210
Too much Naruto (again), but w00t for Gantz! :D
Want to find a place where your wildest fantasies come true?
 
Apr 19, 2009 6:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 852
shinkeikaku said:
This seems pointless for the NYT to print this unless something besides Naruto fills the rankings. It seems like every week will be "NARUTO ROCKS!!!"


Apparently xD. Naruto is way way way too over - rated but the really dorky anime kids love it...
 
Apr 19, 2009 7:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 184
Glad VK's up there, but the Twilight hype must've played a part in it.. :/
 
Apr 19, 2009 7:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5372
Is it just me our does this list seriously lack some good mangas (except place 8)?
I don't get all this Naruto hype in the US: There should be Berserk, Full metal Alchemist, one Piece or other non-crappy mangas on the top.

Well...at least Bleach isn't featured. That would be overkill.

Stone Ocean adaption when?
 
Apr 19, 2009 8:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3814
Nidhoeggr said:
Is it just me our does this list seriously lack some good mangas (except place 8)?
I don't get all this Naruto hype in the US: There should be Berserk, Full metal Alchemist, one Piece or other non-crappy mangas on the top.

Well...at least Bleach isn't featured. That would be overkill.



The majority of the fans are basically kids around 12 or 13. So, those little kids are screaming Naruto fans.

I'm thinking the same thing. Where's FMA or One Piece or Bleach?!

That list is so wrong. Nothing but goddarn Naruto.
 
Apr 19, 2009 8:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1479
This is a pretty depressing list. Though I understand on some level that Naruto appeals to teens, this is just ridiculous. All of the top 3 and 6 of the top 10?
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
 
Apr 19, 2009 9:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3010
kyon91 said:
No one will buy VK vol 7, it sucked.

no, they'll buy it only to find out it sucked, then totally lose interest in the series all together because it was such an awful volume.....

vk was so good till that vol :<
 
Apr 19, 2009 9:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3198
katsup said:
kyon91 said:
No one will buy VK vol 7, it sucked.

no, they'll buy it only to find out it sucked, then totally lose interest in the series all together because it was such an awful volume.....

vk was so good till that vol :<

Ha, yeah, it certainly becomes bait and switch around there..
 
Apr 19, 2009 9:51 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2079
I'm surprised Negima 21 fell off that fast, otherwise no surprises.
My anime list
 
Apr 19, 2009 10:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3736
Vampires are sexy, good taste.
 
Apr 19, 2009 10:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 76
Nidhoeggr said:
Is it just me our does this list seriously lack some good mangas (except place 8)?
I don't get all this Naruto hype in the US: There should be Berserk, Full metal Alchemist, one Piece or other non-crappy mangas on the top.

Well...at least Bleach isn't featured. That would be overkill.



I agree....we need more One Piece. It's cause they hardly realease it really :(
 
Apr 19, 2009 11:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3168
Nayah_sux said:
be_loved said:
-.- Too much Naruto.


this
Animegal9215 said:
Friendlysoul said:
DinaraC said:
Anyways, wow Naruto is really, really big. Kishimoto san is prolly laughing his way to the bank.


LOL :P amazing comment there :P


lol I can just see him chuckling to himself as he carries (or drags) his huge brown sack of money with a dollar sign on it.


and this.

that man is a genius.
Knowing what agegroup to hit hardest with crap for profit.
 
Apr 19, 2009 11:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2460
So...much...NARUTO... >.>

I'm surprised to see Rosario+Vampire on the list though.
 
Apr 19, 2009 11:22 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 365
ChronosXIII said:
So...much...NARUTO... >.>

I'm surprised to see Rosario+Vampire on the list though.


I know lol it R+V was good, I didn't expect it to make it.
 
Apr 19, 2009 12:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 29
wow a good manga in the list!! gantz rocks and some people see that. i',m sad Berserk, lone wolf and cub, claymore and vagabond are not in the list. those are some great manga but no one is buying them. so sad...
to little to late.

 
Apr 19, 2009 1:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 663
Fai said:
dawnwan said:
VK is popular dude.

Not as much as Naruto.. but vampires in general are pretty 'trendy'.


wut vampires?...

There are as many vampires in VK as in Twilight, thus there are no vampires in VK :E


I never said anything about twilight.

Buffy the vampire slayer, dusk till dawn, van hellsing, underworld 1, underworld 2, underworld 3, blade 1, blade 2, blade 3, South Park Goth VS Vampires, etc, etc... there's been so many vampire based movies, shows, books, videogames, comics in the last 10 years alone.


Xiaoling Squirrel; baddest rodent in the forest.

 
Apr 19, 2009 2:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 159
blackwings said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Is it just me our does this list seriously lack some good mangas (except place 8)?
I don't get all this Naruto hype in the US: There should be Berserk, Full metal Alchemist, one Piece or other non-crappy mangas on the top.

Well...at least Bleach isn't featured. That would be overkill.



The majority of the fans are basically kids around 12 or 13. So, those little kids are screaming Naruto fans.

I'm thinking the same thing. Where's FMA or One Piece or Bleach?!

That list is so wrong. Nothing but goddarn Naruto.



I agree with....Nidhoeggr. Bleach sucks :p
 
Apr 19, 2009 2:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1067
wow america fails again.... and people wonder why we're so stereotyped as idiots....
 
Apr 19, 2009 2:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 21
Mmmh, Naruto dominating the list.... That's just so sad...
 
Apr 19, 2009 3:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1515
I expected Naruto to be up there.
Though i still find it mildly entertaining.

coughsasukecough.
 
Apr 19, 2009 6:00 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1849
Gantz?

Hooray~

People are starting to read decent manga here.
 
Apr 20, 2009 12:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 91
This list doesn't surprise me given how popular Naruto is. Companies are always looking for that money maker and like or dislike Naruto, Viz has definitely found it. It feels as if action packed series always make it to the top of the list domestically. Perhaps it's just a cultural difference, I really don't know. But at the end of the day it's still just a best seller list. While it is interesting to see what people are buying the most of over here I can't bring myself to feel strongly either way. Now if the New York Times best seller list became a determining factor in what gets released domestically then I'd have a problem with this list.


With that said, I didn't even realize Gantz was out over here. Shows how much I'm paying attention. I've been wanting to read Gantz for a while after seeing the end of that anime.
| .
 
Apr 20, 2009 10:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 443
It's good to see Vampire Knight.

If the list was of series rather than volumes, Naruto would be on there only once.
 
Apr 20, 2009 12:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3168
dawnwan said:
Fai said:
dawnwan said:
VK is popular dude.

Not as much as Naruto.. but vampires in general are pretty 'trendy'.


wut vampires?...

There are as many vampires in VK as in Twilight, thus there are no vampires in VK :E


I never said anything about twilight.

Buffy the vampire slayer, dusk till dawn, van hellsing, underworld 1, underworld 2, underworld 3, blade 1, blade 2, blade 3, South Park Goth VS Vampires, etc, etc... there's been so many vampire based movies, shows, books, videogames, comics in the last 10 years alone.


Everything in bold sucks lol
 
Apr 20, 2009 1:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1347
Loling over how 6/10 of them are Naruto,


There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
 
Apr 20, 2009 4:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 485
Wait, people in America buy something other than Naruto?
 
Apr 20, 2009 7:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 663
Cowabunga said:
dawnwan said:
Fai said:
dawnwan said:
VK is popular dude.

Not as much as Naruto.. but vampires in general are pretty 'trendy'.


wut vampires?...

There are as many vampires in VK as in Twilight, thus there are no vampires in VK :E


I never said anything about twilight.

Buffy the vampire slayer, dusk till dawn, van hellsing, underworld 1, underworld 2, underworld 3, blade 1, blade 2, blade 3, South Park Goth VS Vampires, etc, etc... there's been so many vampire based movies, shows, books, videogames, comics in the last 10 years alone.


Everything in bold sucks lol


never said they were good... but they made millions each.

supply and demand

Xiaoling Squirrel; baddest rodent in the forest.

 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top